AFC Bournemouth: Boss Howe to stick with rotation philosophy

BOSS: Eddie Howe, right, with Jason Tindall

BOSS: Eddie Howe, right, with Jason Tindall

First published in Sport Bournemouth Echo: Photograph of the Author by

MANAGER Eddie Howe believes squad rotation is the way forward and says he feels it has been a major factor in Cherries’ recent purple patch.

Howe has fully utilised his resources to help cope during a gruelling month which has seen Cherries play no fewer than seven games in 25 days.

While goalkeeper Lee Camp and the back four have remained a constant, a number of changes have been made both in midfield and attacking positions.

And with Cherries having climbed seven places to 10th thanks to five wins and a draw during a fruitful March, the policy has paid handsome dividends.

Howe told the Daily Echo: “People will think you are weakening the team and playing around too much. If it doesn’t work and you don’t get positive results then you will be criticised for tinkering too much. If it works, people will say it is good management. For me, there is no definitive answer, right or wrong.

“We have looked at the squad and spoken to the players. We have tried to keep things fresh and tried to rotate the players we think we can. We have been reluctant to tamper with the back four because they have been in really good form and have kept a number of clean sheets which breeds confidence.

“But as we have such a good squad and such good players, I think we can do it and it is beneficial. Players have come out of the team and it has not been weakened in any way. I think this is the way we will do it going forward because you want to give people opportunities to come in and perform and you can’t rely on the same players for 55 games a season.

“If the same players aren’t playing every week, they will get more disillusioned than with the odd rotation here and there.

“It is important everyone feels part of it and know they have a chance of playing. I think it is very healthy, providing you get the balance right.”

Howe could again make changes when Cherries bid to maintain their late surge for the play-offs by registering a sixth win in eight at Birmingham tomorrow (3pm).

Discussing the trip to St Andrew’s, Howe said: “They have had well-documented financial troubles this year and have had to scale down their squad. They have made good use of the loan market and still have a couple of players from their Premier League era so have a strong squad.

“They have managed to grind out some good results on their travels and are a tough nut to crack as we found here where we felt we dominated the game but lost 2-0. They are not short on experience and that makes it a dangerous game for us.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:52am Fri 28 Mar 14

Afcb-AJ says...

Please please please please don't play one up front the only changes id make would be to play fraser and o'kane .. nothing elce.
Please please please please don't play one up front the only changes id make would be to play fraser and o'kane .. nothing elce. Afcb-AJ
  • Score: 7

10:22am Fri 28 Mar 14

devon fan says...

I do not agree with rotation we are not yet a Premier League club, if it aint broke dont fix it
I do not agree with rotation we are not yet a Premier League club, if it aint broke dont fix it devon fan
  • Score: -9

10:59am Fri 28 Mar 14

TedMacsCherryPants says...

Afcb-AJ wrote:
Please please please please don't play one up front the only changes id make would be to play fraser and o'kane .. nothing elce.
Here, here to the two up front plea!
[quote][p][bold]Afcb-AJ[/bold] wrote: Please please please please don't play one up front the only changes id make would be to play fraser and o'kane .. nothing elce.[/p][/quote]Here, here to the two up front plea! TedMacsCherryPants
  • Score: 7

11:15am Fri 28 Mar 14

Square Old Codger says...

Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.
Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please. Square Old Codger
  • Score: 12

11:48am Fri 28 Mar 14

bobsworthforever says...

Eddies right we cant survive without player rotation injuries alone mean changes anyway weve got more than 11 players who deserve consideration as long as SOC said only Grabban and Yann upfront please
Eddies right we cant survive without player rotation injuries alone mean changes anyway weve got more than 11 players who deserve consideration as long as SOC said only Grabban and Yann upfront please bobsworthforever
  • Score: 9

12:34pm Fri 28 Mar 14

STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road says...

Square Old Codger wrote:
Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.
Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D
[quote][p][bold]Square Old Codger[/bold] wrote: Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.[/p][/quote]Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road
  • Score: -1

1:39pm Fri 28 Mar 14

afcbtintin says...

STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road wrote:
Square Old Codger wrote:
Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.
Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D
That spellchecker can be flecking stupid !

UTCIAD
[quote][p][bold]STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Square Old Codger[/bold] wrote: Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.[/p][/quote]Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D[/p][/quote]That spellchecker can be flecking stupid ! UTCIAD afcbtintin
  • Score: -1

2:56pm Fri 28 Mar 14

John T says...

afcbtintin wrote:
STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road wrote:
Square Old Codger wrote:
Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.
Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D
That spellchecker can be flecking stupid !

UTCIAD
Yes, but like The MerchAnt of Venice, it will have its pound of flesh!
[quote][p][bold]afcbtintin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Square Old Codger[/bold] wrote: Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.[/p][/quote]Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D[/p][/quote]That spellchecker can be flecking stupid ! UTCIAD[/p][/quote]Yes, but like The MerchAnt of Venice, it will have its pound of flesh! John T
  • Score: 1

3:52pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Deejaycee says...

STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road wrote:
Square Old Codger wrote:
Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.
Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D
Reckon he's Jack the lad though.
[quote][p][bold]STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Square Old Codger[/bold] wrote: Given the number of matches this month, some rotation isn't a bad thing, it can keep players on their toes too, no one wants to lose their place in the team. But given the way that Brabham and Yann have "gelled" no changes there . please.[/p][/quote]Please dont play Brabham up front, he's useless and doesn't even look like a footballer- does look a bit of a speed merchent though.!!! :-D[/p][/quote]Reckon he's Jack the lad though. Deejaycee
  • Score: 3

6:04pm Fri 28 Mar 14

Nat1234 says...

Please Eddie do not rotate the forward line , yann and grabban every time . If injury forces your hand . It has to be Pittman or maybe call back tubbs . We need forwards who can get the ball past the keeper .. I notice that a few people are now coming round to my way of thinking ...
Please Eddie do not rotate the forward line , yann and grabban every time . If injury forces your hand . It has to be Pittman or maybe call back tubbs . We need forwards who can get the ball past the keeper .. I notice that a few people are now coming round to my way of thinking ... Nat1234
  • Score: -5

11:40pm Fri 28 Mar 14

abc100 says...

Nat1234 wrote:
Please Eddie do not rotate the forward line , yann and grabban every time . If injury forces your hand . It has to be Pittman or maybe call back tubbs . We need forwards who can get the ball past the keeper .. I notice that a few people are now coming round to my way of thinking ...
Your right Nat, a few !!!!
[quote][p][bold]Nat1234[/bold] wrote: Please Eddie do not rotate the forward line , yann and grabban every time . If injury forces your hand . It has to be Pittman or maybe call back tubbs . We need forwards who can get the ball past the keeper .. I notice that a few people are now coming round to my way of thinking ...[/p][/quote]Your right Nat, a few !!!! abc100
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree