Poppies boss Vaughan fined and banned following referee outburst

APOLOGETIC: Poppies boss Ken Vaughan

APOLOGETIC: Poppies boss Ken Vaughan

First published in Sport by

REMORSEFUL Bournemouth Poppies manager Ken Vaughan admitted he could have no complaints after being hit with a four-match ban and £400 fine by the Hampshire FA.

The county association charged Vaughan with improper conduct following comments made to referee Steve Barclay following Poppies' 1-0 defeat by Hamworthy United in the Wessex League last month.

Vaughan's verbal tirade was prompted by his anger over Barclay's decision not to dismiss Hammers defender Dan Haysom after the Victoria Park manager felt Martin Warren had been denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Following the heated discussion, Vaughan delivered his post-match assessment and told the Daily Echo: “Their player was the last man, it was as blatant as blatant could be. The referee did not even book him and I found that completely disrespectful.”

At the time, his opinions were countered by opposite number Graham Kemp.

At his hearing, Vaughan was fined £200 with a further £200 added from an existing suspended penalty for a similar offence.

Another suspended fine of £200 was implemented and could be imposed if Vaughan were to be charged again before 31 May, 2016. He was severely warned as to his future conduct.

But having had his knuckles rapped, Vaughan vowed to clean up his act and issued an apology to Barclay over the incident.

Asked whether he felt the hefty sanction had been fair, Vaughan told the Daily Echo: “One hundred per cent and, of course, I regret what happened.

“I was fuming after the decision but, having said that, I have got to learn to keep my mouth shut whether I think the referee's call is good, bad or indifferent.

“Part of the reason I lost my cool was because we really should have won. What was said was in the heat of the moment but I would not want to offer excuses.

“I let out some inappropriate words and got what I deserved.

“It is something I have to address and I have to learn not to show my feelings so much. I cannot fault the FA's decision.

“I would like to apologise to the match official and the FA for what happened and it is something which will not happen again.”

Vaughan's touchline ban starts from Wednesday, February 12. 

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:40am Wed 5 Feb 14

pete woodley says...

Should have known better,bad influence to all players.
Should have known better,bad influence to all players. pete woodley
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree