CHERRIES supporters making the case for an FA Cup shock tomorrow need look no further than the history books for supporting evidence – Liverpool have never won a competitive match at Dean Court.

While the Merseyside giants eventually enjoyed safe passages in the world’s oldest football competition on home soil, both Anfield successes came after scares in Bournemouth with Cherries fans left to ponder what might have been.

Despite ticket prices being increased to between two and five shillings, Cherries were buoyed by a record crowd of 13,409 as they so nearly pulled off the mother of all scalps back in 1927.

Frank Taylor’s strike six minutes after half-time set Boscombe on their way to an historic victory before controversy struck four minutes from the end.

Legendary Liverpool striker Gordon Hodgson – who went on to notch 241 goals in his Reds career – levelled matters with the Dean Court faithful screaming for offside.

Birmingham-based referee Mr Lines was unmoved and while Cherries earned a mouth-watering replay, a sense of injustice prevailed as the match ended 1-1.

While Cherries were playing out their draw, non-league neighbours Poole Town made the trip to Liverpool’s arch rivals Everton as one of English football’s most iconic names – Dixie Dean – notched in a 3-1 win for the Toffees.

In the replay at Anfield, Cherries’ hopes were quickly dashed when defender Dossie Miles deflected Fred Hopkin’s shot past keeper Jock Robson in the fourth minute.

Cherries also had a hand in Liverpool’s second as Jimmy Blair found his own net from Dick Edmed’s corner and the game was up on the hour when Jack Hayward’s miskick presented Harry Chambers with an open goal for the third.

Chambers then scored a fourth before plucky Cherries grabbed a consolation strike. Taylor did the donkey work before Douglas Thomson centred for Ron Eyre to net from close range in the 4-1 reverse.

It would be 41 years before Cherries would lock horns with Liverpool again as goalmouth controversy reared its ugly head in the 0-0 draw at Dean Court.

The hosts came close to an upset as Keith East’s finish from substitute John Hold’s cross was chalked off by Merthyr Tydfil official Leo Callaghan in a match which saw 16-year-old Cherries rookie Eddie Rowles thrust into the limelight.

Following the stalemate, Liverpool boss Bill Shankly said: “The home team were well worth their draw and deserve full credit for holding us.”

He went on to make three changes to his side for the rematch with one of the them, Tony Hateley, converting Tommy Smith’s cross in the 33rd minute.

Peter Thompson darted from inside his own half to power past Cherries keeper Rod Jones before the interval while England striker Roger Hunt hammered home the third.

Full-back Chris Lawler struck through a crowded penalty area for number four before Emlyn Hughes found his own net under pressure from Hold to provide the highlight of Cherries’ 4-1 defeat.

After the match, Shankly reportedly went into the Cherries dressing room and said: “You are a great credit to the third division. On this form you should make good progress in the league.”


  • This story features in tomorrow's bumper 24-page Cherries supplement which includes interviews with FA Cup winner Richard Hughes, Cherries cup hero hero Milton Graham, Liverpool fan Eunan O'Kane and John Hold, who played against the Reds in 1968.

We also pick out the danger men from Anfield and look at one of the biggest FA Cup shocks in Liverpool's history.

All in tomorrow's Echo, just 85p.