AFC Bournemouth: Cherries 'open minded' on safe standing debate says Mostyn

Bournemouth Echo: CHERRIES CHAIRMAN: Jeff Mostyn CHERRIES CHAIRMAN: Jeff Mostyn

CHAIRMAN Jeff Mostyn insisted Cherries would be remaining “open minded” about the possibility of a permanent return of standing on the terraces.

Mostyn has been heavily involved in discussions on the issue after all Football League clubs were last month sent a consultation document asking for their opinions.

While standing is currently allowed in League One and League Two, Championship grounds must be all-seater after a club has played in the second flight for three seasons.

The subject was initially raised at the Football League’s annual chairmen’s conference in June when clubs voted to investigate the matter further.

Mostyn told the Daily Echo: “The club are currently open minded in respect of safe standing and not under any pressure to make a decision.

“I have been involved in the debate in my role with the Football League and FA Council and am certain it will continue to gather momentum among the clubs.

“The next step is to discuss the findings of the Football League consultation in more detail at the next full meeting of the clubs, scheduled for February 6. Any change would not happen overnight.

“Changes would require the full support of the FA, Premier League, Football League, Police Federations, the Sports Grounds Safety Authority and, of most significance, the Government.

“In my opinion, the Government will not, under any circumstances, change the current legislation unless it is fully convinced there will be absolutely no danger or threat to public safety.”

One solution which has been suggested would see clubs install hybrid rail seats that could be flipped up or down as required to allow safe standing behind chest-high rails.

The consultation paper included the following four key questions

  • Should the Football League approach the Minister for Sport to request that the all-seater stadia requirement for Championship clubs be reviewed with a view to the re-introduction of standing accommodation?
  • Should the Football League approach the Sports Grounds Safety Authority to request that rail seating products be licensed in Football League grounds?
  • Should clubs be permitted to accommodate supporters in rail seating in the Championship?
  • Should clubs be permitted to revert from seating to standing accommodation in League One and League Two following relegation from the Championship?

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:51pm Tue 21 Jan 14

abc100 says...

Terrace to return, yes please, a much better atmosphere
Terrace to return, yes please, a much better atmosphere abc100
  • Score: 11

3:12pm Tue 21 Jan 14

CC C-siders says...

abc100 wrote:
Terrace to return, yes please, a much better atmosphere
Atmosphere would be better if they simply turn down the PA system so that people can actually talk to each other, which is what football should be about. Sack the DJ !
[quote][p][bold]abc100[/bold] wrote: Terrace to return, yes please, a much better atmosphere[/p][/quote]Atmosphere would be better if they simply turn down the PA system so that people can actually talk to each other, which is what football should be about. Sack the DJ ! CC C-siders
  • Score: 4

3:31pm Tue 21 Jan 14

devon fan says...

as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view
as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view devon fan
  • Score: 7

4:05pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Doddler says...

devon fan wrote:
as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view
Absolutely agree. There are many supporters who are not able to stand for an entire match. If they are behind others who insist on standing (and refuse to sit) they have no option but to endure an uncomfortable afternoon - or sit in the seat they have paid for and see virtually nothing of the match.
[quote][p][bold]devon fan[/bold] wrote: as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree. There are many supporters who are not able to stand for an entire match. If they are behind others who insist on standing (and refuse to sit) they have no option but to endure an uncomfortable afternoon - or sit in the seat they have paid for and see virtually nothing of the match. Doddler
  • Score: 17

4:20pm Tue 21 Jan 14

susi.m says...

Don't like terraces. Prefer all seating.
There is normally a great atmosphere in my part of the North Stand - its great how it is.
Don't like terraces. Prefer all seating. There is normally a great atmosphere in my part of the North Stand - its great how it is. susi.m
  • Score: 7

4:41pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Marvreturns says...

There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.
There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place. Marvreturns
  • Score: -1

4:59pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Markmag says...

http://youtu.be/ypE5
TG2UPNk

Hillsborough Match of the Day.

Of course it could be a lot safer. Of course rules and better railing could be in place. Of course we wouldn't bring back the fences that stopped escape onto the pitch. At least not initially.

On the other hand, why risk it. Is 25 years the time it takes for us to forget the lessons we learned so tragically? And for what - to not have a seat? Is that really worth it?
http://youtu.be/ypE5 TG2UPNk Hillsborough Match of the Day. Of course it could be a lot safer. Of course rules and better railing could be in place. Of course we wouldn't bring back the fences that stopped escape onto the pitch. At least not initially. On the other hand, why risk it. Is 25 years the time it takes for us to forget the lessons we learned so tragically? And for what - to not have a seat? Is that really worth it? Markmag
  • Score: 10

5:40pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Nat1234 says...

Doddler wrote:
devon fan wrote:
as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view
Absolutely agree. There are many supporters who are not able to stand for an entire match. If they are behind others who insist on standing (and refuse to sit) they have no option but to endure an uncomfortable afternoon - or sit in the seat they have paid for and see virtually nothing of the match.
But not all of the stands would be standing . I say yes please to standing again , there is nothing worse than sitting next to a rather large person , when this happens one feels squashed up ... Does anyone know about the rumour that Leon best was seen in this area today ? ...
[quote][p][bold]Doddler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]devon fan[/bold] wrote: as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree. There are many supporters who are not able to stand for an entire match. If they are behind others who insist on standing (and refuse to sit) they have no option but to endure an uncomfortable afternoon - or sit in the seat they have paid for and see virtually nothing of the match.[/p][/quote]But not all of the stands would be standing . I say yes please to standing again , there is nothing worse than sitting next to a rather large person , when this happens one feels squashed up ... Does anyone know about the rumour that Leon best was seen in this area today ? ... Nat1234
  • Score: 1

6:15pm Tue 21 Jan 14

abc100 says...

Nat1234 wrote:
Doddler wrote:
devon fan wrote:
as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view
Absolutely agree. There are many supporters who are not able to stand for an entire match. If they are behind others who insist on standing (and refuse to sit) they have no option but to endure an uncomfortable afternoon - or sit in the seat they have paid for and see virtually nothing of the match.
But not all of the stands would be standing . I say yes please to standing again , there is nothing worse than sitting next to a rather large person , when this happens one feels squashed up ... Does anyone know about the rumour that Leon best was seen in this area today ? ...
I believe Leon Best is often in this area as his partner is local, good player at championship level & wouldn't mind him at Afcb
[quote][p][bold]Nat1234[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Doddler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]devon fan[/bold] wrote: as we are not going to be relegated this does not have any relevance, we have a nice stadium it is not a hardship for people to sit in order that everyone has a good view, the League should take bigger steps to prevent people standing in all seater areas depriving people who have paid good money to see the match from getting a good view[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree. There are many supporters who are not able to stand for an entire match. If they are behind others who insist on standing (and refuse to sit) they have no option but to endure an uncomfortable afternoon - or sit in the seat they have paid for and see virtually nothing of the match.[/p][/quote]But not all of the stands would be standing . I say yes please to standing again , there is nothing worse than sitting next to a rather large person , when this happens one feels squashed up ... Does anyone know about the rumour that Leon best was seen in this area today ? ...[/p][/quote]I believe Leon Best is often in this area as his partner is local, good player at championship level & wouldn't mind him at Afcb abc100
  • Score: 2

6:21pm Tue 21 Jan 14

abc100 says...

Just read in the paper that Simeon Jackson wants to return to England from Germany, would Eddie go back for him cos it was almost a done deal in the summer ??
Just read in the paper that Simeon Jackson wants to return to England from Germany, would Eddie go back for him cos it was almost a done deal in the summer ?? abc100
  • Score: 3

6:32pm Tue 21 Jan 14

nothingtofear says...

Curious timing by Jeff Mostyn in bringing up this subject now given that the Cherries next opponents are Liverpool. I'm thinking that not too many Liverpool fans are keen on a return to standing areas.
Curious timing by Jeff Mostyn in bringing up this subject now given that the Cherries next opponents are Liverpool. I'm thinking that not too many Liverpool fans are keen on a return to standing areas. nothingtofear
  • Score: 7

7:13pm Tue 21 Jan 14

RED on tour says...

While I respect the views others may have regarding a return to standing, may I suggest 96 reasons, why I will never countenance this retrograde step.
While I respect the views others may have regarding a return to standing, may I suggest 96 reasons, why I will never countenance this retrograde step. RED on tour
  • Score: 4

8:00pm Tue 21 Jan 14

West moors 1 says...

Marvreturns wrote:
There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.
Exactly, those that want to stand will buy a standing ticket and be happy doing so. I like a seat but had to stand at an away match recently and quite enjoyed it. It took me back to the old days! The safe standing areas would be well designed with safety at the top of the priority list. Anyone objecting to this option is selfish.
[quote][p][bold]Marvreturns[/bold] wrote: There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.[/p][/quote]Exactly, those that want to stand will buy a standing ticket and be happy doing so. I like a seat but had to stand at an away match recently and quite enjoyed it. It took me back to the old days! The safe standing areas would be well designed with safety at the top of the priority list. Anyone objecting to this option is selfish. West moors 1
  • Score: 0

9:10pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Afcbpete says...

West moors 1 wrote:
Marvreturns wrote:
There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.
Exactly, those that want to stand will buy a standing ticket and be happy doing so. I like a seat but had to stand at an away match recently and quite enjoyed it. It took me back to the old days! The safe standing areas would be well designed with safety at the top of the priority list. Anyone objecting to this option is selfish.
Couldn't agree more!!
[quote][p][bold]West moors 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marvreturns[/bold] wrote: There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.[/p][/quote]Exactly, those that want to stand will buy a standing ticket and be happy doing so. I like a seat but had to stand at an away match recently and quite enjoyed it. It took me back to the old days! The safe standing areas would be well designed with safety at the top of the priority list. Anyone objecting to this option is selfish.[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more!! Afcbpete
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Tue 21 Jan 14

matt68 says...

They should make the away end terracing as the vast majority of visiting fans just stand the entire game anyway
They should make the away end terracing as the vast majority of visiting fans just stand the entire game anyway matt68
  • Score: 1

9:52pm Tue 21 Jan 14

raybren says...

Off the subject but see that Lee Probert is to take charge of the game on Saturday . Is known for making some odd decisions at times and is low down on the Premier Refs . league table . Liverpool fans are agonising over team selection , with Everton to come on Tuesday . They quite fancy the Cup but not at the expense of the Champions League !
Off the subject but see that Lee Probert is to take charge of the game on Saturday . Is known for making some odd decisions at times and is low down on the Premier Refs . league table . Liverpool fans are agonising over team selection , with Everton to come on Tuesday . They quite fancy the Cup but not at the expense of the Champions League ! raybren
  • Score: 2

9:08am Wed 22 Jan 14

dean3020 says...

I've been to hundreds of football matches & rock concerts and, from my personal experiences, standing at rock concerts is far more dangerous than standing at football matches. I've only received one split lip at football, when I was with some fanatical Derby fans doing 'The Bouncy' on the standing terrace at Peterborough- whereas I get battered, bruised & crushed to the point where breathing can become difficult at most gigs I go to and yet there's never been a debate there about safe standing- despite the fact that there have been deaths. Hillsborough was a tragedy, but the situation would have been avoided today because people would have just spilled out onto the pitch rather than being crushed against a fence.
I've been to hundreds of football matches & rock concerts and, from my personal experiences, standing at rock concerts is far more dangerous than standing at football matches. I've only received one split lip at football, when I was with some fanatical Derby fans doing 'The Bouncy' on the standing terrace at Peterborough- whereas I get battered, bruised & crushed to the point where breathing can become difficult at most gigs I go to and yet there's never been a debate there about safe standing- despite the fact that there have been deaths. Hillsborough was a tragedy, but the situation would have been avoided today because people would have just spilled out onto the pitch rather than being crushed against a fence. dean3020
  • Score: 0

9:31am Wed 22 Jan 14

tricky1007 says...

Afcbpete wrote:
West moors 1 wrote:
Marvreturns wrote:
There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.
Exactly, those that want to stand will buy a standing ticket and be happy doing so. I like a seat but had to stand at an away match recently and quite enjoyed it. It took me back to the old days! The safe standing areas would be well designed with safety at the top of the priority list. Anyone objecting to this option is selfish.
Couldn't agree more!!
i think people forget what we used to do in standing areas. I remember being about 15 being in the old south stand, and when Bournemouth scored we all used to bundle forwards! There were some poor people getting squashed like mad because of it.And that is a t a small ground like ours, dread to think what would happen at a bigger ground. Also away fans will love trying to get into a standing area, easy to fight in..... and i hope no one is naive enough to think none of this will happen and everyone who wants standing areas will be so well behaved! i like taking my children to a game and having no trouble anywhere in the grounds. Many a ground still has a great atmosphere in it, the crowd makes the atmosphere whether standing or sitting!
[quote][p][bold]Afcbpete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]West moors 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marvreturns[/bold] wrote: There is no reason at all for not having at least one standing terrance at all grounds regardless of the level of football. Terraces should never have been banned in the first place.[/p][/quote]Exactly, those that want to stand will buy a standing ticket and be happy doing so. I like a seat but had to stand at an away match recently and quite enjoyed it. It took me back to the old days! The safe standing areas would be well designed with safety at the top of the priority list. Anyone objecting to this option is selfish.[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more!![/p][/quote]i think people forget what we used to do in standing areas. I remember being about 15 being in the old south stand, and when Bournemouth scored we all used to bundle forwards! There were some poor people getting squashed like mad because of it.And that is a t a small ground like ours, dread to think what would happen at a bigger ground. Also away fans will love trying to get into a standing area, easy to fight in..... and i hope no one is naive enough to think none of this will happen and everyone who wants standing areas will be so well behaved! i like taking my children to a game and having no trouble anywhere in the grounds. Many a ground still has a great atmosphere in it, the crowd makes the atmosphere whether standing or sitting! tricky1007
  • Score: 3

10:03am Wed 22 Jan 14

cromwell9 says...

I must admit I did enjoy standing in the South end when I was younger .
We were getting crowds of 15/ 18 /20 / 24000. when we played the big clubs like Man city /Aston villa /Newcastle .When we were last in this div ,under HR.
I have noticed the away supporters do stand when they come to the Goldstands .
For safety. Sitting is best ..
If you took out the seats in the North Stand it would probably increase the capacity of the stadium to 14,000.
I must admit I did enjoy standing in the South end when I was younger . We were getting crowds of 15/ 18 /20 / 24000. when we played the big clubs like Man city /Aston villa /Newcastle .When we were last in this div ,under HR. I have noticed the away supporters do stand when they come to the Goldstands . For safety. Sitting is best .. If you took out the seats in the North Stand it would probably increase the capacity of the stadium to 14,000. cromwell9
  • Score: 0

11:03am Wed 22 Jan 14

Square Old Codger says...

I stood at Dean Court for some 60 Seasons , plus, never a problem, the freedom of movement , the atmosphere and the ability to met up with friends are all plus points. The Bundesleague has no problem with it and thats a far superior league to the Premier League, particularly in the way it treats it's supporters. As for sitting at Dean Court, the first 12 rows are untenable in wet weather and the seats too close together if you are long legged. There should be a choice , let those who want to sit, do so. But there should be a provision for the very many who like to stand. It's called choice!
I stood at Dean Court for some 60 Seasons , plus, never a problem, the freedom of movement , the atmosphere and the ability to met up with friends are all plus points. The Bundesleague has no problem with it and thats a far superior league to the Premier League, particularly in the way it treats it's supporters. As for sitting at Dean Court, the first 12 rows are untenable in wet weather and the seats too close together if you are long legged. There should be a choice , let those who want to sit, do so. But there should be a provision for the very many who like to stand. It's called choice! Square Old Codger
  • Score: 3

11:03am Wed 22 Jan 14

Square Old Codger says...

I stood at Dean Court for some 60 Seasons , plus, never a problem, the freedom of movement , the atmosphere and the ability to met up with friends are all plus points. The Bundesleague has no problem with it and thats a far superior league to the Premier League, particularly in the way it treats it's supporters. As for sitting at Dean Court, the first 12 rows are untenable in wet weather and the seats too close together if you are long legged. There should be a choice , let those who want to sit, do so. But there should be a provision for the very many who like to stand. It's called choice!
I stood at Dean Court for some 60 Seasons , plus, never a problem, the freedom of movement , the atmosphere and the ability to met up with friends are all plus points. The Bundesleague has no problem with it and thats a far superior league to the Premier League, particularly in the way it treats it's supporters. As for sitting at Dean Court, the first 12 rows are untenable in wet weather and the seats too close together if you are long legged. There should be a choice , let those who want to sit, do so. But there should be a provision for the very many who like to stand. It's called choice! Square Old Codger
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree