Report this comment
  • "
    thereader wrote:
    'Speedway Fan' read his statement - read the echo's article and whilst your at it - read the QT article. You will then see how the echo have sensationalised the story forgetting the facts and how the QT have reported with the facts.

    It's not hard to see. And as a so called speedway fan - good job of dragging one of the stars of the future through the dirt, almost a better job than the echo 'speedways Paul Gascoigne' are you for real? Make it sound like the kid is a drug crazed alcoholic!

    And please remember people - he didn't get convicted of anything.
    Er, who says he wasn't convicted? He says, that's who. And you. But if he pleads guilty in a court of law to the charges put to him, he is convicted, and therefore has convictions on his record. The law is the law. And it is there for a reason.
    I agree with you that there is indeed conflict between what he says in his statement of apology and the facts; but the facts are the the ones reported in court case. Full stop. Ends. The rest is subjective interpretation and conjecture. So, if he's not convicted and he didn't take drugs and didn't ride around unlawfully on an unlicensed and unregistered motorcycle while drunk and on drugs, and he didn't run away from the cops, and if he has got nothing to be sorry about,why is he now apologising like an overgrown schoolboy? There is only one answer to that.
    As I say, I love speedway and I like Ward's on-track style - it's his off-track style, which is starting to become his undoing, that is the problem and could yet see him prevented from riding in his most important season yet. Fortunately, he appears to be showing signs of contrition, which is heartening. As he himself says, he needs to earn back the trust of those that make it all happen for him. All this is a hard lesson, but one that cannot come too soon, as his ability to hit the headlines for not riding a bike are becoming embarrassingly commonplace."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Speedway ace Darcy Ward issues apology after drink and drugs arrest

Speedway ace Darcy Ward issues apology after drink and drugs arrest

Speedway ace Darcy Ward issues apology after drink and drugs arrest

Speedway ace Darcy Ward issues apology after drink and drugs arrest

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bournemouth Echo: Photograph of the Author by

PIRATES star Darcy Ward apologised to his fans, colleagues and employers after admitting: “I made a mistake.”

Ward today issued a statement via speedway365.com after The Queensland Times reported that he had been convicted of fleeing police on a motorbike while under the influence of drink and drugs.

Pirates ace Ward, 20, admitted a string of offences when he appeared in court in his native Australia, according to reports.

The report claimed Ward had been drinking and smoking marijuana when police attempted to pull him over in his home town of Camira. He is alleged to have fled on an unregistered and uninsured motorbike but was later located by officers. He is reported to have been fined $5,500.

Ward’s statement read: “In regards to the recent incident, which happened here in Australia on December 29, 2012.

“Firstly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies and explain to my fans, staff and committee members for the disappointment that I have caused to them as a result, and for the lack of trust in me that has subsequently resulted.

“I will do everything in my power to earn that trust back.

“Since the matter happened, I have been taking forward steps to get things on track again.

“This was a one-off situation. What everybody is reading makes me into something I am not! I don’t do drugs! I made a mistake!

“I didn’t have any drugs in my possession, nor was I charged. I was the one that confessed to the police that I puffed on a joint earlier that night.

“I would please ask everybody to accept my sincere apology and understand this was a one-off situation.”

Explaining his view of the incident, Ward’s statement added: “I would also like to say that on the night, I was in a park behind my parents’ house on my 50cc mini bike with two mates when the police drove by and noticed us riding in the park.

“As I saw the police, I panicked and rode back down the alleyway to the house.

“Once the police came to the house, I did not hesitate to co-operate with them. As for the marijuana charge, it was something I did on the night and that night only. I am disappointed in myself but I need to move on and I am hoping that we can all do the same together.”

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree