Cherries: Howe completes deal for Priory youngster Cornick

Bournemouth Echo: HOT PROSPECT: Harry Cornick HOT PROSPECT: Harry Cornick

CHERRIES boss Eddie Howe highlighted Harry Cornick’s raw potential after today completing a deal for the Christchurch hotshot.

Wessex League star Cornick will be tasked with making the step into the professional ranks after putting pen to paper at Dean Court this afternoon, as predicted by the Daily Echo.

Howe confirmed that Cornick, who signed an 18-month deal, would continue to turn out for Christchurch and complete his A-levels before joining Cherries permanently in pre-season.

The Poole-based teenager was snapped up by manager Howe after impressing during a week’s trial with the League One club in November.

Howe told the Daily Echo: “He is a very young player who hasn’t had any coaching, as such, at academy or professional level.

“I think he has got raw attributes. He has got pace, good feet and an eye for goal – which are good qualities to have.

“It is very much a case of a year for Harry to see if he can make a career in the game. We are not trying to build him up at this stage.

“I think it is a risk worth taking from our point of view and I think it is a risk worth taking from his point of view that he gives a year to professional football to see if he can develop a career.

“He does have the raw attributes but he does need a lot of work and dedication to this sport now to see if he can make a go of it.”

Cornick will complete his studies at Poole Grammar School while training with Cherries and playing for Christchurch this season.

Howe added: “He wants to finish his A-levels which we can only support him with. I think it is a good idea for him to finish his education. He is a really bright lad as well.

“He will finish his education and continue to play for Christchurch, which is good for him and a good learning environment for him at the moment, and he will train with us when he can in between his studies. We will pick him up at the start of pre-season.”

While Christchurch are likely to host Cherries in a friendly as part of the deal, the Wessex Premier club will not receive a transfer fee as Cornick was not on contract.

Cornick becomes the fifth Christchurch player to join a professional club, following Jody Craddock (Cambridge United), Dan West (Aston Villa), Ben Dickenson (Brighton) and Michael Green (Port Vale).

The Echo first revealed news of Cherries’ interest in Cornick in September, while the winger/forward was also understood to have attracted the attention of top-flight outfits including Stoke City, Southampton, Fulham and Reading.

In an interview with the Echo in September, Christchurch captain Dan Crutchley, who has also taught Cornick in his day job as a teacher, said: “Once he completes his studies and gets his grades, the world is his oyster and he can make his choice. He is going to have a career in the game whether it is this year or in the future, so I don’t think there is any rush.”

  • AFC Wimbledon boss Neal Ardley has confirmed that Cherries player Jonathan Meades has extended his Kingsmeadow loan by a further month. Striker Jayden Stockley, meanwhile, will spend another month at Woking.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:13pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Afcbpete says...

The very best of luck in your AFCB career Harry.... UTCIAD
The very best of luck in your AFCB career Harry.... UTCIAD Afcbpete

6:15pm Tue 8 Jan 13

slartybart says...

One of the attributes that separate good players from great players is a good head and Harry certainly seems to have one strapped to his shoulders.
That young lad who turned out for AFCB in their friendly against Bristol Rovers and scored within a couple of minutes of coming on looks to have raw talent to burn; let's hope we can develop a great career for him and a great player for the Cherries!
One of the attributes that separate good players from great players is a good head and Harry certainly seems to have one strapped to his shoulders. That young lad who turned out for AFCB in their friendly against Bristol Rovers and scored within a couple of minutes of coming on looks to have raw talent to burn; let's hope we can develop a great career for him and a great player for the Cherries! slartybart

6:26pm Tue 8 Jan 13

nonnogeppetto says...

Good news I look forward to see Harry play for the first team in the not too distant future. UTC
Good news I look forward to see Harry play for the first team in the not too distant future. UTC nonnogeppetto

7:08pm Tue 8 Jan 13

snake hips says...

just keep groves n brooks away from him.. they have a habit of ruining good players..
just keep groves n brooks away from him.. they have a habit of ruining good players.. snake hips

7:56pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Afcb4life says...

we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm
we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm Afcb4life

8:45pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Tanker69 says...

Very glad to see harry sign a contract, hes a good lad and i have no doubt that he has career in the game. From a christchurch point of view we will miss him next season, but lets hope we can see the best of him this season. Congrats mate! Up the Church!!
Very glad to see harry sign a contract, hes a good lad and i have no doubt that he has career in the game. From a christchurch point of view we will miss him next season, but lets hope we can see the best of him this season. Congrats mate! Up the Church!! Tanker69

8:49pm Tue 8 Jan 13

bigfatsteve says...

Good luck Harry! Will look forward to watching this young man's progress next season.
Good luck Harry! Will look forward to watching this young man's progress next season. bigfatsteve

8:50pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Fred Luton says...

Afcb4life wrote:
we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm
Surely this cant be true. What a waste of the clubs resources.
[quote][p][bold]Afcb4life[/bold] wrote: we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm[/p][/quote]Surely this cant be true. What a waste of the clubs resources. Fred Luton

9:13pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Dont have short memorys says...

Fred Luton wrote:
Afcb4life wrote:
we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm
Surely this cant be true. What a waste of the clubs resources.
damage limitation still under contract I suspect 25k per month is a good deal for a complete failure they should have put him on performance related pay then he would be paying the club 25k per month
[quote][p][bold]Fred Luton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Afcb4life[/bold] wrote: we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm[/p][/quote]Surely this cant be true. What a waste of the clubs resources.[/p][/quote]damage limitation still under contract I suspect 25k per month is a good deal for a complete failure they should have put him on performance related pay then he would be paying the club 25k per month Dont have short memorys

10:47pm Tue 8 Jan 13

DansAFCB says...

Dont have short memorys wrote:
Fred Luton wrote:
Afcb4life wrote:
we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm
Surely this cant be true. What a waste of the clubs resources.
damage limitation still under contract I suspect 25k per month is a good deal for a complete failure they should have put him on performance related pay then he would be paying the club 25k per month
We want Groves out say we want Groves out!!!!!!!!

Finish the job EM bring back Joe Roach and get rid of Groves.

UTCIAD
[quote][p][bold]Dont have short memorys[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred Luton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Afcb4life[/bold] wrote: we want groves out say groves out heard he still on 25k pcm[/p][/quote]Surely this cant be true. What a waste of the clubs resources.[/p][/quote]damage limitation still under contract I suspect 25k per month is a good deal for a complete failure they should have put him on performance related pay then he would be paying the club 25k per month[/p][/quote]We want Groves out say we want Groves out!!!!!!!! Finish the job EM bring back Joe Roach and get rid of Groves. UTCIAD DansAFCB

11:38pm Tue 8 Jan 13

RED LETTER DAY says...

. . The headline "BREAKING NEWS" is way over the top. . . . Good luck to young Harry.
. . The headline "BREAKING NEWS" is way over the top. . . . Good luck to young Harry. RED LETTER DAY

11:49pm Tue 8 Jan 13

ASM says...

there is no way groves is on 25k a month (300k a year)! 25k a year is too much. surely denim wouldn't have stood for that contract being issued
there is no way groves is on 25k a month (300k a year)! 25k a year is too much. surely denim wouldn't have stood for that contract being issued ASM

9:10am Wed 9 Jan 13

STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road says...

Good luck to the young lad, could be our new Lallana. Something that is baffling me is Danny Hollands extended loan to Swindle Town.
When Danny left AFCB, did he not give his reason as wanting to be nearer his young family who live in Sussex. So how l earth did he end up further away from home.?????.
Let's hope Danny has an off day on saturday and perhaps chips in with another O.G.
What a farce that was yesterday trying to get through on phone for tickets, was in que for hour & half only to find out only block 2 main-stand remaining. Still, managed to get Pompey ticket. Cant wait for the phone bill.!!!!!!.
North & East stands will need to be in good voice saturday to give us the edge over the Pikeys.!!!!!!!. CANT WAIT.
Good luck to the young lad, could be our new Lallana. Something that is baffling me is Danny Hollands extended loan to Swindle Town. When Danny left AFCB, did he not give his reason as wanting to be nearer his young family who live in Sussex. So how l earth did he end up further away from home.?????. Let's hope Danny has an off day on saturday and perhaps chips in with another O.G. What a farce that was yesterday trying to get through on phone for tickets, was in que for hour & half only to find out only block 2 main-stand remaining. Still, managed to get Pompey ticket. Cant wait for the phone bill.!!!!!!. North & East stands will need to be in good voice saturday to give us the edge over the Pikeys.!!!!!!!. CANT WAIT. STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road

10:10am Wed 9 Jan 13

RED LETTER DAY says...

STEADY EDDIE, . . There were only 4 kiosk terminals open out of 8. . . If they had opened them all that would have cut the waiting time in half. . . . I questioned them in the shop about this. They said they do not have enough staff for 8 terminals......... They should have hired staff from an agency for a few hours. ???
STEADY EDDIE, . . There were only 4 kiosk terminals open out of 8. . . If they had opened them all that would have cut the waiting time in half. . . . I questioned them in the shop about this. They said they do not have enough staff for 8 terminals......... They should have hired staff from an agency for a few hours. ??? RED LETTER DAY

10:34am Wed 9 Jan 13

Square Old Codger says...

I have always felt that Eddie's strategy , the first time round, a combination of bringing our own youngsters through and trawling lower leagues for players of talent and character was the right one for us, both on the playing side and financially. We can't alway's rely on a Russian benefactactor . Was thus pleased to see another local lad come in to the Club, but completing his "A's" first, sensible lad and wish him well for the future, what ever he does with his life. It was pleasing too, to hear Mr Mitchell on Solent this morning saying that the increased gates and the subsequent increased revenue could be used to strengthen the team " should the Manager want to" . Rightly leaving it to Eddie Howe. A very welcome change - long may it last. Like others, I would love to see Joe back - a great talent spotter and coach. EM also said that the coming three home games look likely to be sell outs - great to see so many returning to support the Club.. .
I have always felt that Eddie's strategy , the first time round, a combination of bringing our own youngsters through and trawling lower leagues for players of talent and character was the right one for us, both on the playing side and financially. We can't alway's rely on a Russian benefactactor . Was thus pleased to see another local lad come in to the Club, but completing his "A's" first, sensible lad and wish him well for the future, what ever he does with his life. It was pleasing too, to hear Mr Mitchell on Solent this morning saying that the increased gates and the subsequent increased revenue could be used to strengthen the team " should the Manager want to" . Rightly leaving it to Eddie Howe. A very welcome change - long may it last. Like others, I would love to see Joe back - a great talent spotter and coach. EM also said that the coming three home games look likely to be sell outs - great to see so many returning to support the Club.. . Square Old Codger

12:50pm Wed 9 Jan 13

danlee74 says...

RED LETTER DAY wrote:
STEADY EDDIE, . . There were only 4 kiosk terminals open out of 8. . . If they had opened them all that would have cut the waiting time in half. . . . I questioned them in the shop about this. They said they do not have enough staff for 8 terminals......... They should have hired staff from an agency for a few hours. ???
I disagree ... according to sources we sold over 6,000 Wigan tickets yesterday plus whatever we sold for the Swindon / Pompey games. Very good news for the club and very good work from the staff. Bringing in agency staff (who would have needed traning on the systems etc, surely) would have cost hundreds as well as potentially slowed down the permanent staff who it sounds were doing an excellent job.

There are two options for getting tickets when the team are as exciting as they are right now ... (1) queue and exercise some patience (all good things come to those who wait!) or (2) get a season ticket and remove yourself from the queue (if you cannot make a game for any reason, sell it to a good friend at cost price i.e. season ticket price/23)!!

UP THE CHERRIES!!!
[quote][p][bold]RED LETTER DAY[/bold] wrote: STEADY EDDIE, . . There were only 4 kiosk terminals open out of 8. . . If they had opened them all that would have cut the waiting time in half. . . . I questioned them in the shop about this. They said they do not have enough staff for 8 terminals......... They should have hired staff from an agency for a few hours. ???[/p][/quote]I disagree ... according to sources we sold over 6,000 Wigan tickets yesterday plus whatever we sold for the Swindon / Pompey games. Very good news for the club and very good work from the staff. Bringing in agency staff (who would have needed traning on the systems etc, surely) would have cost hundreds as well as potentially slowed down the permanent staff who it sounds were doing an excellent job. There are two options for getting tickets when the team are as exciting as they are right now ... (1) queue and exercise some patience (all good things come to those who wait!) or (2) get a season ticket and remove yourself from the queue (if you cannot make a game for any reason, sell it to a good friend at cost price i.e. season ticket price/23)!! UP THE CHERRIES!!! danlee74

2:02pm Wed 9 Jan 13

abc100 says...

STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road wrote:
Good luck to the young lad, could be our new Lallana. Something that is baffling me is Danny Hollands extended loan to Swindle Town. When Danny left AFCB, did he not give his reason as wanting to be nearer his young family who live in Sussex. So how l earth did he end up further away from home.?????. Let's hope Danny has an off day on saturday and perhaps chips in with another O.G. What a farce that was yesterday trying to get through on phone for tickets, was in que for hour & half only to find out only block 2 main-stand remaining. Still, managed to get Pompey ticket. Cant wait for the phone bill.!!!!!!. North & East stands will need to be in good voice saturday to give us the edge over the Pikeys.!!!!!!!. CANT WAIT.
The reason Danny Hollands left us was because he was about to become a father to triplets, he obviously needed a bigger contract that was on offer from Charlton, kids ain't cheap, especially girls
[quote][p][bold]STEADY EDDIE 1 for the road[/bold] wrote: Good luck to the young lad, could be our new Lallana. Something that is baffling me is Danny Hollands extended loan to Swindle Town. When Danny left AFCB, did he not give his reason as wanting to be nearer his young family who live in Sussex. So how l earth did he end up further away from home.?????. Let's hope Danny has an off day on saturday and perhaps chips in with another O.G. What a farce that was yesterday trying to get through on phone for tickets, was in que for hour & half only to find out only block 2 main-stand remaining. Still, managed to get Pompey ticket. Cant wait for the phone bill.!!!!!!. North & East stands will need to be in good voice saturday to give us the edge over the Pikeys.!!!!!!!. CANT WAIT.[/p][/quote]The reason Danny Hollands left us was because he was about to become a father to triplets, he obviously needed a bigger contract that was on offer from Charlton, kids ain't cheap, especially girls abc100

2:14pm Wed 9 Jan 13

bogtrotter says...

Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.
Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad. bogtrotter

2:23pm Wed 9 Jan 13

Piston_Broke says...

RED LETTER DAY wrote:
STEADY EDDIE, . . There were only 4 kiosk terminals open out of 8. . . If they had opened them all that would have cut the waiting time in half. . . . I questioned them in the shop about this. They said they do not have enough staff for 8 terminals......... They should have hired staff from an agency for a few hours. ???
I joined the queue at about 4.15pm, and when I reached the front of the line just after 5pm, most, if not all, of the 8 windows were open. The staff only closed the queue to new admissions at 5pm, and had no intention of closing the ticket office until everyone in the queue had been served, which must have taken until about 6.20ish. I think they deserve nothing but praise for the way they dealt with the demand, and feel that a physical queue should take priority over phone and internet sales, which it did. Job well done!
[quote][p][bold]RED LETTER DAY[/bold] wrote: STEADY EDDIE, . . There were only 4 kiosk terminals open out of 8. . . If they had opened them all that would have cut the waiting time in half. . . . I questioned them in the shop about this. They said they do not have enough staff for 8 terminals......... They should have hired staff from an agency for a few hours. ???[/p][/quote]I joined the queue at about 4.15pm, and when I reached the front of the line just after 5pm, most, if not all, of the 8 windows were open. The staff only closed the queue to new admissions at 5pm, and had no intention of closing the ticket office until everyone in the queue had been served, which must have taken until about 6.20ish. I think they deserve nothing but praise for the way they dealt with the demand, and feel that a physical queue should take priority over phone and internet sales, which it did. Job well done! Piston_Broke

2:49pm Wed 9 Jan 13

xchurch says...

bogtrotter wrote:
Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.
The reason Christchurch are producing Players like Harry is because they dont pay players, Christchurch attract all the best local talent because players know that if they are patiant they will get a chance to play Wessex league if they are good enough ! As players progress to higher clubs we use the players we have at the club, this is working as you will see by the Christchurch league position. yes we are always sad to lose players but not to see them progress,We always have a new talent waiting to prove themselve. you will note we very rarely lose a player across the league only to move up a level,And the reason Christchurch players are offered the opportunities by higher level clubs is because they are not on contract ! Christchurch has a great sponser that appreciates what the club stands for .
[quote][p][bold]bogtrotter[/bold] wrote: Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.[/p][/quote]The reason Christchurch are producing Players like Harry is because they dont pay players, Christchurch attract all the best local talent because players know that if they are patiant they will get a chance to play Wessex league if they are good enough ! As players progress to higher clubs we use the players we have at the club, this is working as you will see by the Christchurch league position. yes we are always sad to lose players but not to see them progress,We always have a new talent waiting to prove themselve. you will note we very rarely lose a player across the league only to move up a level,And the reason Christchurch players are offered the opportunities by higher level clubs is because they are not on contract ! Christchurch has a great sponser that appreciates what the club stands for . xchurch

2:51pm Wed 9 Jan 13

xchurch says...

bogtrotter wrote:
Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.
The reason Christchurch are producing Players like Harry is because they dont pay players, Christchurch attract all the best local talent because players know that if they are patiant they will get a chance to play Wessex league if they are good enough ! As players progress to higher clubs we use the players we have at the club, this is working as you will see by the Christchurch league position. yes we are always sad to lose players but not to see them progress,We always have a new talent waiting to prove themselve. you will note we very rarely lose a player across the league only to move up a level,And the reason Christchurch players are offered the opportunities by higher level clubs is because they are not on contract ! Christchurch has a great sponser that appreciates what the club stands for .
[quote][p][bold]bogtrotter[/bold] wrote: Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.[/p][/quote]The reason Christchurch are producing Players like Harry is because they dont pay players, Christchurch attract all the best local talent because players know that if they are patiant they will get a chance to play Wessex league if they are good enough ! As players progress to higher clubs we use the players we have at the club, this is working as you will see by the Christchurch league position. yes we are always sad to lose players but not to see them progress,We always have a new talent waiting to prove themselve. you will note we very rarely lose a player across the league only to move up a level,And the reason Christchurch players are offered the opportunities by higher level clubs is because they are not on contract ! Christchurch has a great sponser that appreciates what the club stands for . xchurch

12:32pm Thu 10 Jan 13

bogtrotter says...

xchurch wrote:
bogtrotter wrote: Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.
The reason Christchurch are producing Players like Harry is because they dont pay players, Christchurch attract all the best local talent because players know that if they are patiant they will get a chance to play Wessex league if they are good enough ! As players progress to higher clubs we use the players we have at the club, this is working as you will see by the Christchurch league position. yes we are always sad to lose players but not to see them progress,We always have a new talent waiting to prove themselve. you will note we very rarely lose a player across the league only to move up a level,And the reason Christchurch players are offered the opportunities by higher level clubs is because they are not on contract ! Christchurch has a great sponser that appreciates what the club stands for .
I completely agree with everything you've said, it's all true. Where I was going was I think Xchurch has everything in place to climb the pyramid, except money of course. They have far better facilities than Wimborne for example. It's always been seen as a local club and always will be unless they have a go at going up. If that's what everyone associated with club wants then that's cool.
[quote][p][bold]xchurch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bogtrotter[/bold] wrote: Perhaps it's time for Christchurch to start looking for decent sponsorship or investors. If they paid players and got them on contracts they could earn a lot of money for a club at that level if they can keep producing players like this lad.[/p][/quote]The reason Christchurch are producing Players like Harry is because they dont pay players, Christchurch attract all the best local talent because players know that if they are patiant they will get a chance to play Wessex league if they are good enough ! As players progress to higher clubs we use the players we have at the club, this is working as you will see by the Christchurch league position. yes we are always sad to lose players but not to see them progress,We always have a new talent waiting to prove themselve. you will note we very rarely lose a player across the league only to move up a level,And the reason Christchurch players are offered the opportunities by higher level clubs is because they are not on contract ! Christchurch has a great sponser that appreciates what the club stands for .[/p][/quote]I completely agree with everything you've said, it's all true. Where I was going was I think Xchurch has everything in place to climb the pyramid, except money of course. They have far better facilities than Wimborne for example. It's always been seen as a local club and always will be unless they have a go at going up. If that's what everyone associated with club wants then that's cool. bogtrotter

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree