REFEREE Carl Boyeson took centre stage as Cherries battled out an incident-packed 2-2 draw at Gigg Lane today.

The Hull-based official awarded Cherries a second-half penalty for handball – and then promptly changed his mind after consulting his assistant.

Boyeson took an age to point to the spot after two Bury defenders had climbed at the far post to meet a cross from Simon Francis.

However, following a chat with his assistant, who was on the opposite side of the pitch, Boyeson instead awarded a corner.

Cherries twice came from behind to earn a share of the spoils, with goals from Lewis Grabban and Brett Pitman cancelling out efforts from Troy Hewitt and David Worrall.

Boss Howe made one change to the Cherries starting line-up with Matt Tubbs drafted in for Lee Barnard, the Southampton loan striker dropping to the bench.

New loan signing Pitman was also named among the Cherries substitutes following his midweek move from Bristol City.

Simon Francis carved out the first shooting chance for the visitors following a run down the right but Lewis Grabban’s saw his effort blocked.

Hewitt volleyed the Shakers into a 14th-minute lead when he arrived to meet Matt Doherty’s inch-perfect cross at the near post.

David James raced off his line to beat Hewitt to a through ball before Josh McQuoid’s penalty appeal fell on deaf ears after he had gone to ground under an Ethan Ebanks-Landell challenge.

James pulled off a top-drawer save to turn a Peter Sweeney free-kick around the post before Doherty lifted a shot over the crossbar from the resultant corner.

Cherries had an escape after 39 minutes when roving full-back Doherty saw his thumping goalbound header blocked on the line.

Grabban had an early second-half chance saved by Carson before referee Boyeson staggered Cherries and their followers by changing his mind over the penalty decision.

However, Howe’s men stuck to their task and levelled in the 59th minute when Grabban netted his seventh goal of the season, the striker sweeping home a low cross from Daniels.

Miles Addison’s header from a Pugh corner was hacked off the line before Tubbs’s strike at the near post was blocked by a defender.

Bury regained the lead when Worrall nipped in ahead of James to score after his initial effort had been charged down by MacDonald.

However, Pitman had the final say when he bagged an equaliser, the striker curling the ball past Carson after he had robbed Ebanks-Landell.

Cherries: James, Francis, Addison, Elphick, Daniels, McQuoid (McDermott, 82), MacDonald, Arter (O’Kane, 86), Pugh, Tubbs (Pitman, 73), Grabban.

Unused subs: Fogden, Barnard, Cook, Jalal (g/k).

Booked: Addison, Arter.

Shakers: Carson, Doherty, Ebanks-Landell, Hughes, Skarz, Worrall, Thompson, Sweeney, Soares, Hewitt, Hopper (John-Lewis, 79). Unused subs: Carrington, C Jones, A Jones, Sodje, Belford (g/k).

Attendance: 2,541 (including 259 visiting supporters).

Referee: Carl Boyeson (Hull).