Cherries: Howe's pledge to give Thomas his chance

First published in Sport Bournemouth Echo: Photograph of the Author by

BOSS Eddie Howe vowed to give Wes Thomas a chance to resurrect his Cherries career after issuing a hands-off warning to the striker’s admirers.

Manager Howe insisted he had no intention of allowing the frontman to leave amid rumours of renewed interest from neighbours Portsmouth.

Thomas was handed his first Cherries appearance since a loan spell with Pompey as a substitute in the 1-0 victory at Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.

Howe hinted that the 25-year-old had a number of fans among Cherries’ League One rivals but insisted he would not be leaving Dorset.

Thomas stated in yesterday’s Daily Echo that he was hoping to show what he could do in a fresh start under Howe. And the Cherries boss is urging Thomas to stake a claim for a long-term future at Goldsands Stadium after pledging to hand him his opportunity.

Howe told the Daily Echo: “He is quick, he is decent in the air and he has certainly got mobility and will stretch defenders and back fours.

“And he can score goals. He has scored goals for Portsmouth this season and when he first came here, I think his record was nearly one in two.

“That is not a bad record to have at any level and he has got a lot of admirers up and down the division, so we are pleased to have him with us.

“He won’t be going anywhere else, I want to make that clear. He is here to fight for his place with us and, hopefully, he will take that.”

Thomas revived Cherries’ fortunes last season by firing 10 goals in his first 20 appearances for the Dorset club.

After that, he struggled to hit the net and was loaned to Portsmouth earlier this season by ex-boss Paul Groves.

But Thomas says his confidence has been restored by a productive loan spell with Cherries’ League One rivals and Howe has been impressed by the former Crawley Town frontman since bringing him back to Dorset.

Howe said: “He certainly gave us a physical presence up front (against Doncaster) and he has got pace to burn, and those are attributes I really like.

“I think he is going to be definitely part of our squad going forward and he will be given an opportunity to stake a claim for a long-term future here. Then, it is very much dependent on how he performs.”

Howe added: “It really does add to a nice mix we have here with the lads that played on Saturday, and Matt Tubbs, Steve Fletcher and Frank Demouge. We are spoiled for choice in that department so it is a good problem to have.

“He (Thomas) does have a physical presence but he also has pace.

“Being a defender myself, I didn’t like to play against either of those type of players.

“Every player we have in the squad, in terms of the centre-forward department, is slightly different, which is great from my perspective.

“We haven’t seen Frank yet and we like his qualities as well. It is just a case of trying to manage the squad and give everyone a fair chance.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:07am Tue 13 Nov 12

DansAFCB says...

Give Tubbs a go then Eddie........

UTCIAD
Give Tubbs a go then Eddie........ UTCIAD DansAFCB
  • Score: 0

9:59am Tue 13 Nov 12

lionheart says...

Who knows, Tubbs may be the ideal man and a better option to play off the new big man, the Flying Dutchman, Frank Demouge when he's fit.

Sourcing all these strikers was always a recipe for problems. The finger points at our DofF, young Tom, for that.
Who knows, Tubbs may be the ideal man and a better option to play off the new big man, the Flying Dutchman, Frank Demouge when he's fit. Sourcing all these strikers was always a recipe for problems. The finger points at our DofF, young Tom, for that. lionheart
  • Score: 0

10:04am Tue 13 Nov 12

smhinto says...

Yes I know this is a cut and paste from last week. But I feel my views on Tubbs is gettng more and more justified.
.
Whatsmore, I did'nt want Mr Nonogepetto to miss these posts as he has been on holiday.
.
I have said many times and I still get some 'flak' for it. I believe that Tubbs is NOT League One material. Groves did not play him and neither is Eddie. I believe Eddie is using him possibly as an impact sub. Although it may be that Mcquoid is playing well therefore Tubbs is not getting a look in. Tubbs is definately not a 90 minute player in my view. He also is very poor especially with his back to goal.
.
As I have stated many times, we have overpaid for him with the alledged 800k fee involved. If we get a half decent offer for him I believe he should be let go. A chronic waste of money for an average striker from what I have seen of him over recent seasons
.
That does NO MEAN TO SAY that he is a poor player. I just mean that he is simply not strong enough for this level. It is very much the same as Alan Connell who has given good service for Grimsby in Non League and both AFCB and Swindon, but was released by both clubs on promotion to League One. I wonder why !!
.
Perhaps that tells us something and I believe it is very much the same with Mr Tubbs.
.
Secondly, I believe the reason why Eddie does not entertain Zubar is because of his poor distribution from defensive positions. He is very good as a stand up centre half, I saw him a couple of times at Plymouth, it was noted then that his distribution was suspect.
.
While I am at it I just thought I would throw something else to the floor for you all to comtemplate.
.
In the event of us not achieving promotion this season - (Unfortunately, I do not think we will despite EH heroics - Groves and brooks have used up too many games).
.
Does anyone believe as I do that there will be another mass exodus of players leaving at the end of the season. This would be because if we just miss out on the play-offs, the players will have put themselves in the shop window for the Championship vultures to pick off with higher wages??.
.
If this happens then another season of rebuilding will commence and yet a longer stay on this division and so the cycle repeats.
.
Food for thought Gentlmen.

P.S. Please read the posts properly Mr Nonogepetto you might see some validity in what I am saying.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Regards
.
Yes I know this is a cut and paste from last week. But I feel my views on Tubbs is gettng more and more justified. . Whatsmore, I did'nt want Mr Nonogepetto to miss these posts as he has been on holiday. . I have said many times and I still get some 'flak' for it. I believe that Tubbs is NOT League One material. Groves did not play him and neither is Eddie. I believe Eddie is using him possibly as an impact sub. Although it may be that Mcquoid is playing well therefore Tubbs is not getting a look in. Tubbs is definately not a 90 minute player in my view. He also is very poor especially with his back to goal. . As I have stated many times, we have overpaid for him with the alledged 800k fee involved. If we get a half decent offer for him I believe he should be let go. A chronic waste of money for an average striker from what I have seen of him over recent seasons . That does NO MEAN TO SAY that he is a poor player. I just mean that he is simply not strong enough for this level. It is very much the same as Alan Connell who has given good service for Grimsby in Non League and both AFCB and Swindon, but was released by both clubs on promotion to League One. I wonder why !! . Perhaps that tells us something and I believe it is very much the same with Mr Tubbs. . Secondly, I believe the reason why Eddie does not entertain Zubar is because of his poor distribution from defensive positions. He is very good as a stand up centre half, I saw him a couple of times at Plymouth, it was noted then that his distribution was suspect. . While I am at it I just thought I would throw something else to the floor for you all to comtemplate. . In the event of us not achieving promotion this season - (Unfortunately, I do not think we will despite EH heroics - Groves and brooks have used up too many games). . Does anyone believe as I do that there will be another mass exodus of players leaving at the end of the season. This would be because if we just miss out on the play-offs, the players will have put themselves in the shop window for the Championship vultures to pick off with higher wages??. . If this happens then another season of rebuilding will commence and yet a longer stay on this division and so the cycle repeats. . Food for thought Gentlmen. P.S. Please read the posts properly Mr Nonogepetto you might see some validity in what I am saying. Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Regards . smhinto
  • Score: 0

12:02pm Tue 13 Nov 12

Afcb4life says...

We should cash in on him in jan window we got plenty of options heard pitman is a done deal and Bristol won't play him again so there must be someone going eg matt tubbs
We should cash in on him in jan window we got plenty of options heard pitman is a done deal and Bristol won't play him again so there must be someone going eg matt tubbs Afcb4life
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Tue 13 Nov 12

RED LETTER DAY says...

. SMHINTO, .... What are you going on about saying we cant get promotion as we have played to many games..... We are only eight points away from an automatic promotion spot... Its not even Christmas yet and so there is a fair way to go........... Also you say Tubbs is no good because P Groves did not use him....... Well that aint no yardstick.
. SMHINTO, .... What are you going on about saying we cant get promotion as we have played to many games..... We are only eight points away from an automatic promotion spot... Its not even Christmas yet and so there is a fair way to go........... Also you say Tubbs is no good because P Groves did not use him....... Well that aint no yardstick. RED LETTER DAY
  • Score: 0

1:45pm Tue 13 Nov 12

smhinto says...

RED LETTER DAY wrote:
. SMHINTO, .... What are you going on about saying we cant get promotion as we have played to many games..... We are only eight points away from an automatic promotion spot... Its not even Christmas yet and so there is a fair way to go........... Also you say Tubbs is no good because P Groves did not use him....... Well that aint no yardstick.
I do not recall saying that Tubbs is no good. Where did I say that exactly ???
.
What i said was that he is not strong enough for League One which is a different thing altogether. Not only did Groves not use him, it would appear that Eddie isn't either !!!. Please
re-read the post
.
Yes fair play we are only points off the promotion spots. But we have to maintain the momentum.
.
The only down side about our good form is that Eddie will eventually attract interest from bigger clubs of which will always be a threat to us..
.
In the meantime let's all enjoy the current form.
.
Regards
[quote][p][bold]RED LETTER DAY[/bold] wrote: . SMHINTO, .... What are you going on about saying we cant get promotion as we have played to many games..... We are only eight points away from an automatic promotion spot... Its not even Christmas yet and so there is a fair way to go........... Also you say Tubbs is no good because P Groves did not use him....... Well that aint no yardstick.[/p][/quote]I do not recall saying that Tubbs is no good. Where did I say that exactly ??? . What i said was that he is not strong enough for League One which is a different thing altogether. Not only did Groves not use him, it would appear that Eddie isn't either !!!. Please re-read the post . Yes fair play we are only points off the promotion spots. But we have to maintain the momentum. . The only down side about our good form is that Eddie will eventually attract interest from bigger clubs of which will always be a threat to us.. . In the meantime let's all enjoy the current form. . Regards smhinto
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Tue 13 Nov 12

susi.m says...

Whoever Eddie and Jason decide to play - I for one totally trust their judgement
Whoever Eddie and Jason decide to play - I for one totally trust their judgement susi.m
  • Score: 0

5:42pm Tue 13 Nov 12

nonnogeppetto says...

smhinto wrote:
Yes I know this is a cut and paste from last week. But I feel my views on Tubbs is gettng more and more justified.
.
Whatsmore, I did'nt want Mr Nonogepetto to miss these posts as he has been on holiday.
.
I have said many times and I still get some 'flak' for it. I believe that Tubbs is NOT League One material. Groves did not play him and neither is Eddie. I believe Eddie is using him possibly as an impact sub. Although it may be that Mcquoid is playing well therefore Tubbs is not getting a look in. Tubbs is definately not a 90 minute player in my view. He also is very poor especially with his back to goal.
.
As I have stated many times, we have overpaid for him with the alledged 800k fee involved. If we get a half decent offer for him I believe he should be let go. A chronic waste of money for an average striker from what I have seen of him over recent seasons
.
That does NO MEAN TO SAY that he is a poor player. I just mean that he is simply not strong enough for this level. It is very much the same as Alan Connell who has given good service for Grimsby in Non League and both AFCB and Swindon, but was released by both clubs on promotion to League One. I wonder why !!
.
Perhaps that tells us something and I believe it is very much the same with Mr Tubbs.
.
Secondly, I believe the reason why Eddie does not entertain Zubar is because of his poor distribution from defensive positions. He is very good as a stand up centre half, I saw him a couple of times at Plymouth, it was noted then that his distribution was suspect.
.
While I am at it I just thought I would throw something else to the floor for you all to comtemplate.
.
In the event of us not achieving promotion this season - (Unfortunately, I do not think we will despite EH heroics - Groves and brooks have used up too many games).
.
Does anyone believe as I do that there will be another mass exodus of players leaving at the end of the season. This would be because if we just miss out on the play-offs, the players will have put themselves in the shop window for the Championship vultures to pick off with higher wages??.
.
If this happens then another season of rebuilding will commence and yet a longer stay on this division and so the cycle repeats.
.
Food for thought Gentlmen.

P.S. Please read the posts properly Mr Nonogepetto you might see some validity in what I am saying.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Regards
.
It gets worse only the depth vary!!
.
Talk about not reading what is posted!! Those who took the trouble of reading my posts realised that far from being a holiday trip the time in Italy was to undertake some tasks for my brother and to be with him, who has been bed ridden for almost a year now. I expect no humility from the one who keeps asking me to read his rubbish (don’t take my word for it see what others say about your posts) had you asked me how my brother was it would have indicated that YOU read what others have to say. I guess you are above everyone else and too aloof to show any humility. Kindly refrain from naming me in you post because as indicated previously I care very little of what you have to say.
[quote][p][bold]smhinto[/bold] wrote: Yes I know this is a cut and paste from last week. But I feel my views on Tubbs is gettng more and more justified. . Whatsmore, I did'nt want Mr Nonogepetto to miss these posts as he has been on holiday. . I have said many times and I still get some 'flak' for it. I believe that Tubbs is NOT League One material. Groves did not play him and neither is Eddie. I believe Eddie is using him possibly as an impact sub. Although it may be that Mcquoid is playing well therefore Tubbs is not getting a look in. Tubbs is definately not a 90 minute player in my view. He also is very poor especially with his back to goal. . As I have stated many times, we have overpaid for him with the alledged 800k fee involved. If we get a half decent offer for him I believe he should be let go. A chronic waste of money for an average striker from what I have seen of him over recent seasons . That does NO MEAN TO SAY that he is a poor player. I just mean that he is simply not strong enough for this level. It is very much the same as Alan Connell who has given good service for Grimsby in Non League and both AFCB and Swindon, but was released by both clubs on promotion to League One. I wonder why !! . Perhaps that tells us something and I believe it is very much the same with Mr Tubbs. . Secondly, I believe the reason why Eddie does not entertain Zubar is because of his poor distribution from defensive positions. He is very good as a stand up centre half, I saw him a couple of times at Plymouth, it was noted then that his distribution was suspect. . While I am at it I just thought I would throw something else to the floor for you all to comtemplate. . In the event of us not achieving promotion this season - (Unfortunately, I do not think we will despite EH heroics - Groves and brooks have used up too many games). . Does anyone believe as I do that there will be another mass exodus of players leaving at the end of the season. This would be because if we just miss out on the play-offs, the players will have put themselves in the shop window for the Championship vultures to pick off with higher wages??. . If this happens then another season of rebuilding will commence and yet a longer stay on this division and so the cycle repeats. . Food for thought Gentlmen. P.S. Please read the posts properly Mr Nonogepetto you might see some validity in what I am saying. Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Regards .[/p][/quote]It gets worse only the depth vary!! . Talk about not reading what is posted!! Those who took the trouble of reading my posts realised that far from being a holiday trip the time in Italy was to undertake some tasks for my brother and to be with him, who has been bed ridden for almost a year now. I expect no humility from the one who keeps asking me to read his rubbish (don’t take my word for it see what others say about your posts) had you asked me how my brother was it would have indicated that YOU read what others have to say. I guess you are above everyone else and too aloof to show any humility. Kindly refrain from naming me in you post because as indicated previously I care very little of what you have to say. nonnogeppetto
  • Score: 0

5:44pm Tue 13 Nov 12

cheeriedriteup says...

smhinto wrote:
RED LETTER DAY wrote:
. SMHINTO, .... What are you going on about saying we cant get promotion as we have played to many games..... We are only eight points away from an automatic promotion spot... Its not even Christmas yet and so there is a fair way to go........... Also you say Tubbs is no good because P Groves did not use him....... Well that aint no yardstick.
I do not recall saying that Tubbs is no good. Where did I say that exactly ???
.
What i said was that he is not strong enough for League One which is a different thing altogether. Not only did Groves not use him, it would appear that Eddie isn't either !!!. Please
re-read the post
.
Yes fair play we are only points off the promotion spots. But we have to maintain the momentum.
.
The only down side about our good form is that Eddie will eventually attract interest from bigger clubs of which will always be a threat to us..
.
In the meantime let's all enjoy the current form.
.
Regards
I think Tubbs is good enough but it does depend on who he is fielded with. I believe that when he is in the same team as Fletcher or Demouge h won't ave a decent game, these big players win the ball in the air and head it on , Tubbs struggles with this , as he does with the Pugh crosses, I think he is at his best when someone like David's is in midfield to slot the ball through at ground level then Tubbs can do something with it. As for a mass exodus of players leaving- lets hope so, after EH has cherry picked the best then release the rest and save / recoup some money. As for Stubbs leaving NAH he was to expensive so no one will be him, plus EH is very clever- more clever then smhinto- he will not release to teams that could damage our promotion chances or this year. And there is a big chance, just take a look at the bookies prices for a good guide as they very rarely loose!
[quote][p][bold]smhinto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RED LETTER DAY[/bold] wrote: . SMHINTO, .... What are you going on about saying we cant get promotion as we have played to many games..... We are only eight points away from an automatic promotion spot... Its not even Christmas yet and so there is a fair way to go........... Also you say Tubbs is no good because P Groves did not use him....... Well that aint no yardstick.[/p][/quote]I do not recall saying that Tubbs is no good. Where did I say that exactly ??? . What i said was that he is not strong enough for League One which is a different thing altogether. Not only did Groves not use him, it would appear that Eddie isn't either !!!. Please re-read the post . Yes fair play we are only points off the promotion spots. But we have to maintain the momentum. . The only down side about our good form is that Eddie will eventually attract interest from bigger clubs of which will always be a threat to us.. . In the meantime let's all enjoy the current form. . Regards[/p][/quote]I think Tubbs is good enough but it does depend on who he is fielded with. I believe that when he is in the same team as Fletcher or Demouge h won't ave a decent game, these big players win the ball in the air and head it on , Tubbs struggles with this , as he does with the Pugh crosses, I think he is at his best when someone like David's is in midfield to slot the ball through at ground level then Tubbs can do something with it. As for a mass exodus of players leaving- lets hope so, after EH has cherry picked the best then release the rest and save / recoup some money. As for Stubbs leaving NAH he was to expensive so no one will be him, plus EH is very clever- more clever then smhinto- he will not release to teams that could damage our promotion chances or this year. And there is a big chance, just take a look at the bookies prices for a good guide as they very rarely loose! cheeriedriteup
  • Score: 0

8:39pm Tue 13 Nov 12

West moors 1 says...

Howe doesn't seem to like Tubbs, but when he has had the chance, he's been first class. Thomas went to Portsmouth and scored a couple of lucky goals, so what. He has a lot to do to convince me but Howe likes him and so Tubbs will be left behind when in fact he should be given the chance.
Howe doesn't seem to like Tubbs, but when he has had the chance, he's been first class. Thomas went to Portsmouth and scored a couple of lucky goals, so what. He has a lot to do to convince me but Howe likes him and so Tubbs will be left behind when in fact he should be given the chance. West moors 1
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Tue 13 Nov 12

oxoncherry2 says...

Tubbs is a poacher. He's good at picking off rebounds and loose balls in the box.
Tubbs is a poacher. He's good at picking off rebounds and loose balls in the box. oxoncherry2
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree