Four candidates go head-to-head today to become Dorset’s first Police and Crime Commissioner. The new commissioner will take over the current responsibilities of Dorset Police Authority.
The Commissioner will:
* Hold the chief constable to account for the delivery of the force
* Set and update a police and crime plan
* Set the force budget and precept
* Engage with the public and communities
* Appoint and, where necessary dismiss, the chief constable
The Police and Crime Commissioners will replace police authorities in 41 areas and will be paid a salary between £65,000 and £100,000, depending on the size of the force area.
Click the links at the top for profiles of the candidates.
You'll be able to choose a first and second preference at the ballot. Watch this video to find out more.