When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
It’s better to be safe than sorry
10:40am Tuesday 12th March 2013 in Opinion
THE Echo has reported on fires where there have been no smoke alarms.
We have also printed stories of blazes where there have been no working smoke alarms.
And we have also chronicled the often devastating consequences.
The importance of smoke alarms is highlighted in today’s paper where an elderly couple had a lucky escape.
A fire had broken out in their Bournemouth flat in the early hours of yesterday morning and they were woken by the smoke alarm.
As a result, Maurice and Doreen Smithers were able to get out of their flat suffering from just minor smoke inhalation.
Far too many people think fires won’t happen to them or they will someday get round to fitting that smoke alarm or replacing the batteries.
But as Mr and Mrs Smithers’ experience proved, you never know when you will be involved in an emergency, so it is always better to be safe than sorry.