Surf reef cheerleader should face facts

Bournemouth Echo: Surf reef cheerleader should face facts Surf reef cheerleader should face facts

CALL it what you like.

Head in the (seven miles of golden) sand. State of denial. Or whatever.

There are surely now only a handful of people who still cling to the illusion that the surf reef has been money well spent.

Bournemouth’s director of tourism is one of them.

Mark Smith, who has done a great job for the town (the air festival for instance, was his initiative) claims bizarrely that the reef is still “a key part of the offer at Boscombe.”

Only now, it’s not really for surfing but for snorkelling and a bit of kayaking.

The reef has been a massive flop.

The argument that it has, useless pile of bags and wire or not, helped regenerate Boscombe, is a specious and disengenuous one.

Three and a half million pounds could have been spent on something that actually worked. The reef is the Imax on water. A disaster.

And a scandalous waste of money.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:52am Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer.

The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed.

The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now. BourneRed

11:15am Wed 7 Nov 12

Huey says...

BourneRed wrote:
Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed.
They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off.
A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats.
The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops...
Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will.
Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.[/p][/quote]The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed. They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off. A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats. The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops... Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will. Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment). Huey

11:36am Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

Huey wrote:
BourneRed wrote:
Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed.
They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off.
A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats.
The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops...
Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will.
Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).
As this article discusses facts, lets stick to them shall we?

The Pier was completely closed for large period of time, yes the end was first but the rest soon followed, before work started on repairs.

The sale of the large car park, which in the main stood empty for the majority of the year part funded the pier work. There is still a reasonably sized car park, which apart from obvious peak times of the year you can always find a space in.

The rest of the businesses as you claim, is one surf shop, which doesn't just cater for surfers. So your link is tenuous at best.
[quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.[/p][/quote]The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed. They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off. A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats. The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops... Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will. Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).[/p][/quote]As this article discusses facts, lets stick to them shall we? The Pier was completely closed for large period of time, yes the end was first but the rest soon followed, before work started on repairs. The sale of the large car park, which in the main stood empty for the majority of the year part funded the pier work. There is still a reasonably sized car park, which apart from obvious peak times of the year you can always find a space in. The rest of the businesses as you claim, is one surf shop, which doesn't just cater for surfers. So your link is tenuous at best. BourneRed

11:40am Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

Error in the above post, meant to write that the end was first to close, but the remainder of the pier then closed for a couple of years before work soon followed!
Error in the above post, meant to write that the end was first to close, but the remainder of the pier then closed for a couple of years before work soon followed! BourneRed

11:55am Wed 7 Nov 12

chasamax says...

My teen aged sons recommend a water-slide that goes from the clifftop into the ocean would be a lot of fun! Perhaps the "reef" could be incorporated into the design !!!
My teen aged sons recommend a water-slide that goes from the clifftop into the ocean would be a lot of fun! Perhaps the "reef" could be incorporated into the design !!! chasamax

12:32pm Wed 7 Nov 12

muscliffman says...

BourneRed wrote:
Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer.

The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed.

The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
BourneRed- I can noly presume you attend the same school for the totally bewildered as Mark Smith.

Wisely spent the money poured into Boscombe seafront could have provided a massive change for the better. Instead it was tossed into the sea on an unproven vanity project that has failed utterly, heaped humiliation on the district and the entire town.

The other disaster you do mention is of course what USED to be Boscombe Pier. It is now a stump barely worthy of the term jetty. The 'refurbushment' work fits the same pattern as the reef, incompetently awarded, incompetently undertaken, incompetently supervised and already failing.

At least, unlike Mr Smith, we do not pay you for your confusion and spin............ or maybe we do??
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.[/p][/quote]BourneRed- I can noly presume you attend the same school for the totally bewildered as Mark Smith. Wisely spent the money poured into Boscombe seafront could have provided a massive change for the better. Instead it was tossed into the sea on an unproven vanity project that has failed utterly, heaped humiliation on the district and the entire town. The other disaster you do mention is of course what USED to be Boscombe Pier. It is now a stump barely worthy of the term jetty. The 'refurbushment' work fits the same pattern as the reef, incompetently awarded, incompetently undertaken, incompetently supervised and already failing. At least, unlike Mr Smith, we do not pay you for your confusion and spin............ or maybe we do?? muscliffman

1:12pm Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front?

No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.
Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front? No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window. BourneRed

2:09pm Wed 7 Nov 12

jobsworthwatch says...

BourneRed wrote:
Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front?

No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.
"regeneration of the Boscombe sea front"

Boscombe sea front on the Bournemouth side is now a year round car park with cars parked end on to the kerb resulting in restricted passage and is positively dangerous for all users.

Ultimately a catalyst for continued degeneration I suspect!
The money could have been put to much better use!
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front? No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.[/p][/quote]"regeneration of the Boscombe sea front" Boscombe sea front on the Bournemouth side is now a year round car park with cars parked end on to the kerb resulting in restricted passage and is positively dangerous for all users. Ultimately a catalyst for continued degeneration I suspect! The money could have been put to much better use! jobsworthwatch

2:14pm Wed 7 Nov 12

muscliffman says...

BourneRed wrote:
Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front?

No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.
Yes, you are entitled to an opinion and welcome to post it here, but is not playground bickering to then suggest you are completely wrong.

In this case frankly it is plain common sense to say so, especially when many readers including myself will not begin to comprehend your point of view.

Rusting sculptures, unworking jetty lights, empty unsold 'surf pods', a decaying usless 'surf reef' a decapitated crumbling Pier etc......

If as you suggest the 'reef' part was the catalyst for this sort of 'regeneration' can we have our £3.5million back now and try again, but this time competently, please?
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front? No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.[/p][/quote]Yes, you are entitled to an opinion and welcome to post it here, but is not playground bickering to then suggest you are completely wrong. In this case frankly it is plain common sense to say so, especially when many readers including myself will not begin to comprehend your point of view. Rusting sculptures, unworking jetty lights, empty unsold 'surf pods', a decaying usless 'surf reef' a decapitated crumbling Pier etc...... If as you suggest the 'reef' part was the catalyst for this sort of 'regeneration' can we have our £3.5million back now and try again, but this time competently, please? muscliffman

2:23pm Wed 7 Nov 12

jobsworthwatch says...

Bournemouth is sandwiched between two harbours that are rammed with pleasure craft and when these boatys go out into Poole bay they can't come ashore at Bournemouth/Boscombe without getting their feet wet. Suspect a marina might have truly regenerated the location.
Bournemouth is sandwiched between two harbours that are rammed with pleasure craft and when these boatys go out into Poole bay they can't come ashore at Bournemouth/Boscombe without getting their feet wet. Suspect a marina might have truly regenerated the location. jobsworthwatch

3:04pm Wed 7 Nov 12

moordown_lad says...

BourneRed wrote:
Huey wrote:
BourneRed wrote:
Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed.
They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off.
A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats.
The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops...
Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will.
Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).
As this article discusses facts, lets stick to them shall we?

The Pier was completely closed for large period of time, yes the end was first but the rest soon followed, before work started on repairs.

The sale of the large car park, which in the main stood empty for the majority of the year part funded the pier work. There is still a reasonably sized car park, which apart from obvious peak times of the year you can always find a space in.

The rest of the businesses as you claim, is one surf shop, which doesn't just cater for surfers. So your link is tenuous at best.
A resonabley sized carpark?? You are joking, 70 spaces hardley resonable sized. Obvious peak times - so when are they, April to September, there are only spaces outside these months because nobody wants to go to the beachin the winter!
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.[/p][/quote]The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed. They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off. A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats. The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops... Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will. Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).[/p][/quote]As this article discusses facts, lets stick to them shall we? The Pier was completely closed for large period of time, yes the end was first but the rest soon followed, before work started on repairs. The sale of the large car park, which in the main stood empty for the majority of the year part funded the pier work. There is still a reasonably sized car park, which apart from obvious peak times of the year you can always find a space in. The rest of the businesses as you claim, is one surf shop, which doesn't just cater for surfers. So your link is tenuous at best.[/p][/quote]A resonabley sized carpark?? You are joking, 70 spaces hardley resonable sized. Obvious peak times - so when are they, April to September, there are only spaces outside these months because nobody wants to go to the beachin the winter! moordown_lad

3:15pm Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

muscliffman wrote:
BourneRed wrote:
Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front?

No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.
Yes, you are entitled to an opinion and welcome to post it here, but is not playground bickering to then suggest you are completely wrong.

In this case frankly it is plain common sense to say so, especially when many readers including myself will not begin to comprehend your point of view.

Rusting sculptures, unworking jetty lights, empty unsold 'surf pods', a decaying usless 'surf reef' a decapitated crumbling Pier etc......

If as you suggest the 'reef' part was the catalyst for this sort of 'regeneration' can we have our £3.5million back now and try again, but this time competently, please?
You appear to have skipped on a few paces in your assumptions on my comments.

I merely said it had acted as a catalyst for the regeneration which has been successful in its own right. Could it have been done better, probably as could everything. Are the rather odd sculptures not to everyone's tastes? Certainly not.

Is it disappointing that that the pier has had some issues in regards to the concrete? Yes hugely.

But it is still hugely better in comparison to how it was just a few years ago and that is now to the regeneration project which had the reef as its main catalyst.

The important thing now is to get the right thing done now from this point.

If its worth repairing it, with everyone knowing exactly what it's impact will be then do that.

If its impact will be minimal then look at more cost affective ideas which are more suitable etc.
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Bewildered, confused and full of spin? All because I dared say that the reef acted as a catalyst for the regeneration of the boscombe sea front? No wonder these comment pages constantly fall into playground bickering because as soon as someone holds a differing opinion to someone, intelligent debate appears to just be thrown from the window.[/p][/quote]Yes, you are entitled to an opinion and welcome to post it here, but is not playground bickering to then suggest you are completely wrong. In this case frankly it is plain common sense to say so, especially when many readers including myself will not begin to comprehend your point of view. Rusting sculptures, unworking jetty lights, empty unsold 'surf pods', a decaying usless 'surf reef' a decapitated crumbling Pier etc...... If as you suggest the 'reef' part was the catalyst for this sort of 'regeneration' can we have our £3.5million back now and try again, but this time competently, please?[/p][/quote]You appear to have skipped on a few paces in your assumptions on my comments. I merely said it had acted as a catalyst for the regeneration which has been successful in its own right. Could it have been done better, probably as could everything. Are the rather odd sculptures not to everyone's tastes? Certainly not. Is it disappointing that that the pier has had some issues in regards to the concrete? Yes hugely. But it is still hugely better in comparison to how it was just a few years ago and that is now to the regeneration project which had the reef as its main catalyst. The important thing now is to get the right thing done now from this point. If its worth repairing it, with everyone knowing exactly what it's impact will be then do that. If its impact will be minimal then look at more cost affective ideas which are more suitable etc. BourneRed

3:26pm Wed 7 Nov 12

Huey says...

BourneRed wrote:
Huey wrote:
BourneRed wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed. They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off. A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats. The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops... Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will. Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).
As this article discusses facts, lets stick to them shall we? The Pier was completely closed for large period of time, yes the end was first but the rest soon followed, before work started on repairs. The sale of the large car park, which in the main stood empty for the majority of the year part funded the pier work. There is still a reasonably sized car park, which apart from obvious peak times of the year you can always find a space in. The rest of the businesses as you claim, is one surf shop, which doesn't just cater for surfers. So your link is tenuous at best.
"apart from obvious peak times"
What - do you mean summer?
"Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier"
Nonsense the reef shouldn't have been built and if the £3m it cost were spent on the seafront it would look far better than it does!
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.[/p][/quote]The pier wasn't closed, only the end of it was where the old roller disco has decayed. They didn't repaint that bit, they just chopped it off. A large useful car park was lost and replaced with a massive block of flats. The promenade does have some new reataurants etc but the rest of the businesses are... oh dear... surf shops... Anyway, maybe the council can now take down all the posters telling us how the surf reef works, seeing as it clearly doesn't and never will. Also remove all the brown signs on the roads that list Surf Reef as a tourist attraction (instead of a national embarassment).[/p][/quote]As this article discusses facts, lets stick to them shall we? The Pier was completely closed for large period of time, yes the end was first but the rest soon followed, before work started on repairs. The sale of the large car park, which in the main stood empty for the majority of the year part funded the pier work. There is still a reasonably sized car park, which apart from obvious peak times of the year you can always find a space in. The rest of the businesses as you claim, is one surf shop, which doesn't just cater for surfers. So your link is tenuous at best.[/p][/quote]"apart from obvious peak times" What - do you mean summer? "Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier" Nonsense the reef shouldn't have been built and if the £3m it cost were spent on the seafront it would look far better than it does! Huey

3:35pm Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

The point about the car parking was that yes peak times, weekends, school holidays around lunch time the car park is full. It could be twice the size and still be full. Just like other car parks in Bournemouth centre or hengistbury head.

But the remainder of the time the car park isn't full, so would it be best to have a large car park that sits empty the majority of the time on a sea front with a closed pier and one pub? Or use the space to generate income to be reinvested into the regeneration scheme and keep a more modest size car park?

There was nothing wrong with that part of the scheme. The surf pods plan was the overly ambitious and inaccurate plan.
The point about the car parking was that yes peak times, weekends, school holidays around lunch time the car park is full. It could be twice the size and still be full. Just like other car parks in Bournemouth centre or hengistbury head. But the remainder of the time the car park isn't full, so would it be best to have a large car park that sits empty the majority of the time on a sea front with a closed pier and one pub? Or use the space to generate income to be reinvested into the regeneration scheme and keep a more modest size car park? There was nothing wrong with that part of the scheme. The surf pods plan was the overly ambitious and inaccurate plan. BourneRed

3:53pm Wed 7 Nov 12

Huey says...

BourneRed wrote:
The point about the car parking was that yes peak times, weekends, school holidays around lunch time the car park is full. It could be twice the size and still be full. Just like other car parks in Bournemouth centre or hengistbury head. But the remainder of the time the car park isn't full, so would it be best to have a large car park that sits empty the majority of the time on a sea front with a closed pier and one pub? Or use the space to generate income to be reinvested into the regeneration scheme and keep a more modest size car park? There was nothing wrong with that part of the scheme. The surf pods plan was the overly ambitious and inaccurate plan.
Thanks all the same but I'd rather have a big car park ready for all the visitors at peak times to come and spend their money, instead of a failed reef, unsold surf pods, and an as-yet unknown big clean up bill.
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: The point about the car parking was that yes peak times, weekends, school holidays around lunch time the car park is full. It could be twice the size and still be full. Just like other car parks in Bournemouth centre or hengistbury head. But the remainder of the time the car park isn't full, so would it be best to have a large car park that sits empty the majority of the time on a sea front with a closed pier and one pub? Or use the space to generate income to be reinvested into the regeneration scheme and keep a more modest size car park? There was nothing wrong with that part of the scheme. The surf pods plan was the overly ambitious and inaccurate plan.[/p][/quote]Thanks all the same but I'd rather have a big car park ready for all the visitors at peak times to come and spend their money, instead of a failed reef, unsold surf pods, and an as-yet unknown big clean up bill. Huey

4:46pm Wed 7 Nov 12

freedom for pokesdown says...

Forget the reef
The reef is dead
Take down the road signs
Move on
and please, please stop Mark Smith insulting our intelligence and embarrassing us by going on national TV and telling the country what a success it all is
Forget the reef The reef is dead Take down the road signs Move on and please, please stop Mark Smith insulting our intelligence and embarrassing us by going on national TV and telling the country what a success it all is freedom for pokesdown

5:41pm Wed 7 Nov 12

Jambonick says...

Hmmmmmmm: Three million quid is quite a lot to pay for a bag of sand lying on the sea-bed a few metres from the beach! :-(
Hmmmmmmm: Three million quid is quite a lot to pay for a bag of sand lying on the sea-bed a few metres from the beach! :-( Jambonick

7:12pm Wed 7 Nov 12

Was Charlie says...

BourneRed wrote:
The point about the car parking was that yes peak times, weekends, school holidays around lunch time the car park is full. It could be twice the size and still be full. Just like other car parks in Bournemouth centre or hengistbury head.

But the remainder of the time the car park isn't full, so would it be best to have a large car park that sits empty the majority of the time on a sea front with a closed pier and one pub? Or use the space to generate income to be reinvested into the regeneration scheme and keep a more modest size car park?

There was nothing wrong with that part of the scheme. The surf pods plan was the overly ambitious and inaccurate plan.
BourneRed is so enthusiastic about the surf reef and the regeneration of Boscombe, he can ony be a councillor. No-one else would justify this horrendous squandering of council tax payers money. The council will say they have to cut services and need to increase council tax - wouldn't have been necessary without these hairbrained schemes. They'll wonder why people object to increases when they've spent so "wisely".
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: The point about the car parking was that yes peak times, weekends, school holidays around lunch time the car park is full. It could be twice the size and still be full. Just like other car parks in Bournemouth centre or hengistbury head. But the remainder of the time the car park isn't full, so would it be best to have a large car park that sits empty the majority of the time on a sea front with a closed pier and one pub? Or use the space to generate income to be reinvested into the regeneration scheme and keep a more modest size car park? There was nothing wrong with that part of the scheme. The surf pods plan was the overly ambitious and inaccurate plan.[/p][/quote]BourneRed is so enthusiastic about the surf reef and the regeneration of Boscombe, he can ony be a councillor. No-one else would justify this horrendous squandering of council tax payers money. The council will say they have to cut services and need to increase council tax - wouldn't have been necessary without these hairbrained schemes. They'll wonder why people object to increases when they've spent so "wisely". Was Charlie

10:54pm Wed 7 Nov 12

BourneRed says...

No I'm not a councillor, I don't think any of them would be daft enough to do that since Ben Grower hit the headlines.

I'm also not enthusiastic about the surf reef and have never said as such. Merely pointed out that the project, with the reef at its heart was what was the catalyst for the regeneration of the sea front and the pier.

Yes I am enthusiastic about the changes the sea front has seen because I really enjoy going there, the pier, the new bars, all the events that take place there. So much better than the run down seafront it was just a few years ago.

I just enjoy living and visiting these places from Christchurch to Poole and appreciate what an excellent part of the world we live in.
No I'm not a councillor, I don't think any of them would be daft enough to do that since Ben Grower hit the headlines. I'm also not enthusiastic about the surf reef and have never said as such. Merely pointed out that the project, with the reef at its heart was what was the catalyst for the regeneration of the sea front and the pier. Yes I am enthusiastic about the changes the sea front has seen because I really enjoy going there, the pier, the new bars, all the events that take place there. So much better than the run down seafront it was just a few years ago. I just enjoy living and visiting these places from Christchurch to Poole and appreciate what an excellent part of the world we live in. BourneRed

11:43pm Wed 7 Nov 12

s-pb2 says...

BourneRed wrote:
Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer.

The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed.

The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.
You have a point. Boscombe seafront has been regenerated because of the then future surf reef. Whether the different components of the onshore regeneration was a good idea are debatable, but fact is the reef has lead to some regeneration. Of course the reef itself has been a complete disaster and Tony Williams should have been held to account rather than be promoted.

Of course Mark Smith, head of Tourism is going to publicly support the reef. As someone who is employed to head a team promoting the area to visitors he is hardly going to say things are rubbish. Now that would be stupid. Tell the punters how wonderful everything is, tempt them down here and then take their money. Thats his actual job.
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: Fact is that it did act as a catalyst for the regeneration of Boscombe sea front and pier, the area is magnificent now when it was only a few years ago that the pier was closed and the promenade had nothing to offer. The reef was never going to work how some people imagined it too, if it could be repaired it could still marginally improve the surf on offer, but people who expect Hawaii style waves will always be disappointed. The important thing now is to concentrate on what happens next. You can get down in arguing over something that should or shouldn't have happened or concentrate on what's best now.[/p][/quote]You have a point. Boscombe seafront has been regenerated because of the then future surf reef. Whether the different components of the onshore regeneration was a good idea are debatable, but fact is the reef has lead to some regeneration. Of course the reef itself has been a complete disaster and Tony Williams should have been held to account rather than be promoted. Of course Mark Smith, head of Tourism is going to publicly support the reef. As someone who is employed to head a team promoting the area to visitors he is hardly going to say things are rubbish. Now that would be stupid. Tell the punters how wonderful everything is, tempt them down here and then take their money. Thats his actual job. s-pb2

8:42am Thu 8 Nov 12

Was Charlie says...

"Of course Mark Smith, head of Tourism is going to publicly support the reef. As someone who is employed to head a team promoting the area to visitors he is hardly going to say things are rubbish. Now that would be stupid. Tell the punters how wonderful everything is, tempt them down here and then take their money. Thats his actual job."
........
But once people have been and seen what's left of the rotting pile of sand bags, having following the signs "To the Surf Reef", the won't come back.
......
Echo, the photo you're using is a library one, please commission a new helicopter shot so we can see how much more of it has disappeared.
"Of course Mark Smith, head of Tourism is going to publicly support the reef. As someone who is employed to head a team promoting the area to visitors he is hardly going to say things are rubbish. Now that would be stupid. Tell the punters how wonderful everything is, tempt them down here and then take their money. Thats his actual job." ........ But once people have been and seen what's left of the rotting pile of sand bags, having following the signs "To the Surf Reef", the won't come back. ...... Echo, the photo you're using is a library one, please commission a new helicopter shot so we can see how much more of it has disappeared. Was Charlie

10:22am Thu 8 Nov 12

The Renegade Master says...

The aerial shot of the surf reef looks like turds in a bowl. I can't think of a better analogy for the whole farce to be honest.
The aerial shot of the surf reef looks like turds in a bowl. I can't think of a better analogy for the whole farce to be honest. The Renegade Master

12:20pm Thu 8 Nov 12

Gooby! says...

The reef may be a disaster when it comes to surfing or any of the measurables placed upon it but it has got way more publicity than you could buy with £3.5million.
The reef may be a disaster when it comes to surfing or any of the measurables placed upon it but it has got way more publicity than you could buy with £3.5million. Gooby!

1:11pm Thu 8 Nov 12

newsabout says...

£11.3 Million and rising was the cost of the reef and regeneration to Boscombe seafront as reported in the Echo 27th April 2010:
http://www.bournemou
thecho.co.uk/news/fe
atures/surfreef/surf
reefstories/8122051.
Cost_of_Boscombe_red
evelopment_and_surf_
reef_to_rise_to___11
_3m/
£11.3 million far outstrips any benefits, which have been gained by so few. We take a walk on the seafront every morning and evening; in all honesty, we cannot see increased numbers of people. The Urban Reef is rarely busy nor do the shops seem to be.
From a business standpoint, when mistakes are made, we acknowledge them, and examine how they came to be made so we are informed how to behave in the future; I do not see that kind of business stance being taken by the Council however.
The centre of Boscombe is in its dying throws and more importantly it has been for many years - yet no visible plan has been put in place by the council to address this.
Certainly we hear that the Council are going to do something.....but what exactly and when....what is the projected time-scale? The immediate questions that comes to mind is, "Why are they not putting a plan in place, with time-scales and making it public so people feel their Council is addressing issues and there is hope for the future?"
If this was a business I was dealing with, I would be forced to conclude the Council are hiding something and most certainly that, like a truculent teenager caught out, they are making implausible excuses for their failure of input for over 20 years into central Boscombe. I would be forced to conclude the Council have no intention of attacking the cancer at the heart of Boscombe's demise nor of using Boscombe's assets to increase business.
Small initiatives, or short-term goals will not solve Boscombe's problems, which is all the Council has offered so far. The Council has not put forward a vision for Boscombe as part of a long term goal to regenerate it....why?
Whilst recognising Boscombe's creative community, the Council have not reinstated the Shelley Theatre and at the same time intend to demolish the Boscombe Centre for Community and Arts in favour of building 11 houses.
At the same time literally, thousands of drug addicts come to Boscombe every year for treatment with a large proportion staying in the area and receiving benefits. About 200 one bedroom flats are being built during the next few months, which will mainly house addicts. This is hardly good for those who are struggling to stay off drugs and certainly importing more on benefits into Boscombe does nothing to increase trade.
It is indeed a shambles but then sadly, it is only one of many - the Imax with the now idiot demolition at a time when the world economic climate is still worsening is another; the debacle over Mouchel and enquiry into contracts is another and so the story goes, "an so on and so on" etc. etc...... Financial and human screw ups of a magnitude that stretches the boundaries of believability.
£11.3 Million and rising was the cost of the reef and regeneration to Boscombe seafront as reported in the Echo 27th April 2010: http://www.bournemou thecho.co.uk/news/fe atures/surfreef/surf reefstories/8122051. Cost_of_Boscombe_red evelopment_and_surf_ reef_to_rise_to___11 _3m/ £11.3 million far outstrips any benefits, which have been gained by so few. We take a walk on the seafront every morning and evening; in all honesty, we cannot see increased numbers of people. The Urban Reef is rarely busy nor do the shops seem to be. From a business standpoint, when mistakes are made, we acknowledge them, and examine how they came to be made so we are informed how to behave in the future; I do not see that kind of business stance being taken by the Council however. The centre of Boscombe is in its dying throws and more importantly it has been for many years - yet no visible plan has been put in place by the council to address this. Certainly we hear that the Council are going to do something.....but what exactly and when....what is the projected time-scale? The immediate questions that comes to mind is, "Why are they not putting a plan in place, with time-scales and making it public so people feel their Council is addressing issues and there is hope for the future?" If this was a business I was dealing with, I would be forced to conclude the Council are hiding something and most certainly that, like a truculent teenager caught out, they are making implausible excuses for their failure of input for over 20 years into central Boscombe. I would be forced to conclude the Council have no intention of attacking the cancer at the heart of Boscombe's demise nor of using Boscombe's assets to increase business. Small initiatives, or short-term goals will not solve Boscombe's problems, which is all the Council has offered so far. The Council has not put forward a vision for Boscombe as part of a long term goal to regenerate it....why? Whilst recognising Boscombe's creative community, the Council have not reinstated the Shelley Theatre and at the same time intend to demolish the Boscombe Centre for Community and Arts in favour of building 11 houses. At the same time literally, thousands of drug addicts come to Boscombe every year for treatment with a large proportion staying in the area and receiving benefits. About 200 one bedroom flats are being built during the next few months, which will mainly house addicts. This is hardly good for those who are struggling to stay off drugs and certainly importing more on benefits into Boscombe does nothing to increase trade. It is indeed a shambles but then sadly, it is only one of many - the Imax with the now idiot demolition at a time when the world economic climate is still worsening is another; the debacle over Mouchel and enquiry into contracts is another and so the story goes, "an so on and so on" etc. etc...... Financial and human screw ups of a magnitude that stretches the boundaries of believability. newsabout

7:52pm Fri 9 Nov 12

Tom 'Boscombe' Jones says...

BourneRed wrote:
No I'm not a councillor, I don't think any of them would be daft enough to do that since Ben Grower hit the headlines.

I'm also not enthusiastic about the surf reef and have never said as such. Merely pointed out that the project, with the reef at its heart was what was the catalyst for the regeneration of the sea front and the pier.

Yes I am enthusiastic about the changes the sea front has seen because I really enjoy going there, the pier, the new bars, all the events that take place there. So much better than the run down seafront it was just a few years ago.

I just enjoy living and visiting these places from Christchurch to Poole and appreciate what an excellent part of the world we live in.
New bars. I think you mean one new bar and a surf shop. The former having been gifted public land on the seafront by cabinet in July in an effort to curb the financial difficulties the business was experiencing and to stop the owner folding the company to concentrate on his other business. How would that look for the regeneration If the flagship business in the over strand went bust and the site became empty? Successful regeneration?
[quote][p][bold]BourneRed[/bold] wrote: No I'm not a councillor, I don't think any of them would be daft enough to do that since Ben Grower hit the headlines. I'm also not enthusiastic about the surf reef and have never said as such. Merely pointed out that the project, with the reef at its heart was what was the catalyst for the regeneration of the sea front and the pier. Yes I am enthusiastic about the changes the sea front has seen because I really enjoy going there, the pier, the new bars, all the events that take place there. So much better than the run down seafront it was just a few years ago. I just enjoy living and visiting these places from Christchurch to Poole and appreciate what an excellent part of the world we live in.[/p][/quote]New bars. I think you mean one new bar and a surf shop. The former having been gifted public land on the seafront by cabinet in July in an effort to curb the financial difficulties the business was experiencing and to stop the owner folding the company to concentrate on his other business. How would that look for the regeneration If the flagship business in the over strand went bust and the site became empty? Successful regeneration? Tom 'Boscombe' Jones

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree