Boy, 12, locked up in riots trial

Bournemouth Echo: A schoolboy has become one of the youngest to be convicted of taking part in last summer's riots A schoolboy has become one of the youngest to be convicted of taking part in last summer's riots

A 12-year-old boy has become one of the youngest trouble-makers to be convicted of taking part in last summer's riots.

The schoolboy was given a six-month youth detention order at Stratford Magistrates' Court, in east London, after admitting that he smashed a shop window, Scotland Yard said.

He caused more than £6,000-worth of damage by shattering glass outside the Golden Ivy Florist in South Street, Romford.

CCTV footage from August 8 showed the boy repeatedly kicking the glass in an attempt to gain entry and then appearing to try to encourage others to join in.

The youngster, who cannot be named, was arrested on February 29 before he admitted violent disorder.

Detective Inspector Keith Paterson said: "This conviction is an example of the painstaking work which continues to bring to justice those responsible for the disorder last August.

"I am pleased that in sentencing this individual the court has recognised his appalling behaviour, which added to the fear and misery experienced by the local businesses community and residents. My team continue to work tirelessly to identify those outstanding suspects involved in the disorder."

Officers declined to name the area where the rioter was from.

A total of 4,130 arrests have now been made in connection with the disorder. Of those, 2,577 have been charged.

Another boy who was 11 at the time of the riots was given an 18-month youth rehabilitation order last year for stealing a bin, worth £50, from Debenhams in Romford on August 8.

More national news stories

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree