When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Sunlight reflecting from mirror sparks house fire
10:30am Tuesday 24th July 2012 in Purbeck
SUNLIGHT reflecting off a mirror on a bedroom windowsill sparked a house fire yesterday.
A hessian chair and some curtains caught fire in the incident at Corfe Castle , leaving the first floor room badly smoke damaged.
Two crews of firefighters from Swanage spent around 50 minutes using breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to fight the flames.
The alarm was raised at around 1.20pm.
Station manager Dave Arundel, who attended the scene, said: “Although fires started in this way are unusual, they can occur.
“This should act as a warning to all homeowners.
“The occupant, who was in the garden at the time, was alerted to this fire by their smoke alarm.
He added: “A working smoke alarm will not stop fires from starting, but they do provide an early warning.
“All homes should have a working smoke alarm, which is tested weekly.”