VIDEO: Fire crews called to rescue trapped pigeon on Post Office Road

Picture: Corin Messer.

Picture: Corin Messer.

First published in News by

A PIGEON trapped in netting on top of a Bournemouth restaurant sparked a major rescue operation.

Fire crews from Springbourne and Westbourne were involved in the rescue of the pigeon from the top of the former Post Office building in the town centre at lunchtime today.

A hydraulic crane was used to raise RSPCA Inspector Jo Story and two firefighters to the top of the building to rescue the stuck bird, and retrieve another which had died.

The rescue left many passers-by bemused. Lisa Grove said: “It’s surprising to see such a huge operation for a pigeon. It’s nice but it does surprise me.”

But Jo said: “From the RSPCA’s point of view, a life is a life. Whether it’s a pigeon or a kestrel, we’re not going to leave it to suffer.”

Comments (50)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:11pm Thu 5 Jul 12

lonelysurf says...

Just tidying my garden and I accidently stepped on a snail!,Off to A+E now...
Just tidying my garden and I accidently stepped on a snail!,Off to A+E now... lonelysurf
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Thu 5 Jul 12

HRH of Boscombe says...

Whatever moron called the fire brigade should be forced to pay for it. What a complete waste of time and money. Would've been far easier just to use an air rifle.
Whatever moron called the fire brigade should be forced to pay for it. What a complete waste of time and money. Would've been far easier just to use an air rifle. HRH of Boscombe
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Thu 5 Jul 12

garyhodge says...

So...how much did this cost? And for a pigeon, which many consider vermin anyway?

And not just the cost in terms of the fire service...and the salary of the poor echo schmu....errr...repo
rter how had to "report" on this riveting drama, but the disruption on the road (I work there), loss of producvitiy in surrounding offices (I should know, we were all staring out of the window), loss of footfall in local businesses (everyone having a good stare in disbelief). Its ridiculous, dont shoot the pigeon, shoot the muppet who called this in (under a 999??)..

...now, dogs who can say "sausages" now THATS news!
So...how much did this cost? And for a pigeon, which many consider vermin anyway? And not just the cost in terms of the fire service...and the salary of the poor echo schmu....errr...repo rter how had to "report" on this riveting drama, but the disruption on the road (I work there), loss of producvitiy in surrounding offices (I should know, we were all staring out of the window), loss of footfall in local businesses (everyone having a good stare in disbelief). Its ridiculous, dont shoot the pigeon, shoot the muppet who called this in (under a 999??).. ...now, dogs who can say "sausages" now THATS news! garyhodge
  • Score: 0

2:54pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Morrigan says...

HRH of Boscombe wrote:
Whatever moron called the fire brigade should be forced to pay for it. What a complete waste of time and money. Would've been far easier just to use an air rifle.
The RSPCA called the Fire Brigade - can you not have some humanity?

In any event, the Fire Service use this sort of call as training, so they get extra training and the bird stays alive ..... it's all good.

Having said that, when I called the RSPCA a couple of years ago about an abandoned rabbit in a box outside a pet shop, they refused to attend and told me to either leave it there or take it to the nearest vet surgery!!! Lynwood Vets took the poor thing on and thank goodness for them!
[quote][p][bold]HRH of Boscombe[/bold] wrote: Whatever moron called the fire brigade should be forced to pay for it. What a complete waste of time and money. Would've been far easier just to use an air rifle.[/p][/quote]The RSPCA called the Fire Brigade - can you not have some humanity? In any event, the Fire Service use this sort of call as training, so they get extra training and the bird stays alive ..... it's all good. Having said that, when I called the RSPCA a couple of years ago about an abandoned rabbit in a box outside a pet shop, they refused to attend and told me to either leave it there or take it to the nearest vet surgery!!! Lynwood Vets took the poor thing on and thank goodness for them! Morrigan
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Thu 5 Jul 12

mysticalshoelace says...

HRH of Boscombe wrote:
Whatever moron called the fire brigade should be forced to pay for it. What a complete waste of time and money. Would've been far easier just to use an air rifle.
Would have been far easier and cheaper to have used the air rifle on the moron that put the netting there in the first place.

Have to agree with the RSPCA in this case, a life is a life be it animal or human.
[quote]HRH of Boscombe wrote: Whatever moron called the fire brigade should be forced to pay for it. What a complete waste of time and money. Would've been far easier just to use an air rifle.[/quote]Would have been far easier and cheaper to have used the air rifle on the moron that put the netting there in the first place. Have to agree with the RSPCA in this case, a life is a life be it animal or human. mysticalshoelace
  • Score: 0

3:00pm Thu 5 Jul 12

HRH of Boscombe says...

Morrigan they're a pest, vermin. Would you call the fire brigade for a trapped rat?
.
What kind of relevant training do the fire brigade get out of this then??? They know how to climb the ladder already. Special bird skills I suppose that will make us all feel much safer.
Morrigan they're a pest, vermin. Would you call the fire brigade for a trapped rat? . What kind of relevant training do the fire brigade get out of this then??? They know how to climb the ladder already. Special bird skills I suppose that will make us all feel much safer. HRH of Boscombe
  • Score: 0

3:15pm Thu 5 Jul 12

pauls55 says...

Mmmmm wonder if pigeon pie is now on the menu at that restaurant?
Mmmmm wonder if pigeon pie is now on the menu at that restaurant? pauls55
  • Score: 0

3:19pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Couchy125 says...

I think the bird should pay. He should get it cheep. And as for the fire service it's a feather in there caps. And as for the RSPCA you are funky.
I think the bird should pay. He should get it cheep. And as for the fire service it's a feather in there caps. And as for the RSPCA you are funky. Couchy125
  • Score: 0

3:19pm Thu 5 Jul 12

cleanery says...

Did the pigeon climb down the ladder on its own

Or did the fireman fly up the ladder on his own
Did the pigeon climb down the ladder on its own Or did the fireman fly up the ladder on his own cleanery
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Thu 5 Jul 12

cleanery says...

I rember when fireman sam rescued a stranded whale it was good but never a flying sky rat
I rember when fireman sam rescued a stranded whale it was good but never a flying sky rat cleanery
  • Score: 0

3:23pm Thu 5 Jul 12

KLH says...

I happened to be walking in the area, saw the fire engines and the RSPCA girl with a small box and thought there was a venomous snake loose or something. Pigeons!! OK, they are vermin to some, and I actually like pigeons, but all this, surely there could have been other ways of dealing with this. How did they get that netting up there in the first place, bet that wasn't the fire brigade.

And did the RSPCA release the pigeon....
I happened to be walking in the area, saw the fire engines and the RSPCA girl with a small box and thought there was a venomous snake loose or something. Pigeons!! OK, they are vermin to some, and I actually like pigeons, but all this, surely there could have been other ways of dealing with this. How did they get that netting up there in the first place, bet that wasn't the fire brigade. And did the RSPCA release the pigeon.... KLH
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Thu 5 Jul 12

djd says...

They put the netting up there because some people leave food scraps around the streets and that encourages vermin like pigeons and rats.
I wouldn't like to see the pigeon suffer but if people didn't drop food around the streets the pigeons wouldn't be there in the first place, there would be no need for netting to discourage them from nesting or perching. No soiled clothes from pigeon droppings.
They put the netting up there because some people leave food scraps around the streets and that encourages vermin like pigeons and rats. I wouldn't like to see the pigeon suffer but if people didn't drop food around the streets the pigeons wouldn't be there in the first place, there would be no need for netting to discourage them from nesting or perching. No soiled clothes from pigeon droppings. djd
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Couchy125 says...

KLH wrote:
I happened to be walking in the area, saw the fire engines and the RSPCA girl with a small box and thought there was a venomous snake loose or something. Pigeons!! OK, they are vermin to some, and I actually like pigeons, but all this, surely there could have been other ways of dealing with this. How did they get that netting up there in the first place, bet that wasn't the fire brigade. And did the RSPCA release the pigeon....
No he was remanded in custody pending further investigation.
[quote][p][bold]KLH[/bold] wrote: I happened to be walking in the area, saw the fire engines and the RSPCA girl with a small box and thought there was a venomous snake loose or something. Pigeons!! OK, they are vermin to some, and I actually like pigeons, but all this, surely there could have been other ways of dealing with this. How did they get that netting up there in the first place, bet that wasn't the fire brigade. And did the RSPCA release the pigeon....[/p][/quote]No he was remanded in custody pending further investigation. Couchy125
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Dorset Mitch says...

HRH of Boscombe wrote:
Morrigan they're a pest, vermin. Would you call the fire brigade for a trapped rat? . What kind of relevant training do the fire brigade get out of this then??? They know how to climb the ladder already. Special bird skills I suppose that will make us all feel much safer.
Sighting and experience in the operation of using the Aerial Ladder Platform (not a crane Echo!!!) outside of the station drill yard.
[quote][p][bold]HRH of Boscombe[/bold] wrote: Morrigan they're a pest, vermin. Would you call the fire brigade for a trapped rat? . What kind of relevant training do the fire brigade get out of this then??? They know how to climb the ladder already. Special bird skills I suppose that will make us all feel much safer.[/p][/quote]Sighting and experience in the operation of using the Aerial Ladder Platform (not a crane Echo!!!) outside of the station drill yard. Dorset Mitch
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Dorset Logic says...

Dastardly and Muttley
catch the pigeon
Cheap Rates.

Call us 24 hours
Dastardly and Muttley catch the pigeon Cheap Rates. Call us 24 hours Dorset Logic
  • Score: 0

4:11pm Thu 5 Jul 12

scrumpyjack says...

garyhodge wrote:
So...how much did this cost? And for a pigeon, which many consider vermin anyway?

And not just the cost in terms of the fire service...and the salary of the poor echo schmu....errr...repo

rter how had to "report" on this riveting drama, but the disruption on the road (I work there), loss of producvitiy in surrounding offices (I should know, we were all staring out of the window), loss of footfall in local businesses (everyone having a good stare in disbelief). Its ridiculous, dont shoot the pigeon, shoot the muppet who called this in (under a 999??)..

...now, dogs who can say "sausages" now THATS news!
very funny.
[quote][p][bold]garyhodge[/bold] wrote: So...how much did this cost? And for a pigeon, which many consider vermin anyway? And not just the cost in terms of the fire service...and the salary of the poor echo schmu....errr...repo rter how had to "report" on this riveting drama, but the disruption on the road (I work there), loss of producvitiy in surrounding offices (I should know, we were all staring out of the window), loss of footfall in local businesses (everyone having a good stare in disbelief). Its ridiculous, dont shoot the pigeon, shoot the muppet who called this in (under a 999??).. ...now, dogs who can say "sausages" now THATS news![/p][/quote]very funny. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 0

4:21pm Thu 5 Jul 12

BmthNewshound says...

OMG..... hold the front page... Pigeon Caused Major Rescue Operation.....just how desparate are the Echo for stories. Last week they reported on the Town Hall fire drill and now this.
.
I can't believe that people still pay to buy the Echo.
OMG..... hold the front page... Pigeon Caused Major Rescue Operation.....just how desparate are the Echo for stories. Last week they reported on the Town Hall fire drill and now this. . I can't believe that people still pay to buy the Echo. BmthNewshound
  • Score: 0

5:17pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Capricorn 1 says...

My doctor told me to avoid any excitemnt, so I will not be reading stories like this anymore.
My doctor told me to avoid any excitemnt, so I will not be reading stories like this anymore. Capricorn 1
  • Score: 0

6:03pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Vikki27 says...

I won't read these comments because I imagine most of them will rule the life of the pigeon as unworthy of the expense of our emergency services.

Well, I agree fully with the RSPCA - a life is a life. People deem pigeons as worthless and undeserving of any form of attention but the fact is, they feel pain and fear and suffering as much as any other creature and anyone with a feeling bone in their body could no more walk past a pigeon or any other creature and condemn it to suffering a painful death than they could a small child. They deserve to live a natural life as much as any human being.
I won't read these comments because I imagine most of them will rule the life of the pigeon as unworthy of the expense of our emergency services. Well, I agree fully with the RSPCA - a life is a life. People deem pigeons as worthless and undeserving of any form of attention but the fact is, they feel pain and fear and suffering as much as any other creature and anyone with a feeling bone in their body could no more walk past a pigeon or any other creature and condemn it to suffering a painful death than they could a small child. They deserve to live a natural life as much as any human being. Vikki27
  • Score: 0

6:30pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Was Charlie says...

cleanery wrote:
I rember when fireman sam rescued a stranded whale it was good but never a flying sky rat
Someone needs biology lessons:
....
bird = bird
rat = mammal
[quote][p][bold]cleanery[/bold] wrote: I rember when fireman sam rescued a stranded whale it was good but never a flying sky rat[/p][/quote]Someone needs biology lessons: .... bird = bird rat = mammal Was Charlie
  • Score: 0

6:55pm Thu 5 Jul 12

andydixon says...

Unfortunately, pigeons are vermin. They carry over 60 diseases and are responsible for decimation of crops. However, if they aren't causing a problem they should be left alone but not encouraged.
I would agree with HRH on the air rifle solution. From the point of view of shooting the vermin it is completely legal but unfortunately, there are laws on using air rifles in public places (6 months prison and a £5000 fine). You have to be 50ft away from the centre of a public higway and the pellet is not allowed to stray beyond the boundary of the property which is difficult in a town centre.
I believe you also have to have a good reason to shoot them (i.e. protection of crops)
I had to laugh recently when I saw an elderly lady in Boscombe feeding the vermin right underneath a sign warning against it. Horseshoe common is the worst for it. I used to feed the moorhens at the pond there daily (watched them grow from a mating pair to a family of 7) then walk down further and see idiots feeding the pigeons.
Unfortunately, pigeons are vermin. They carry over 60 diseases and are responsible for decimation of crops. However, if they aren't causing a problem they should be left alone but not encouraged. I would agree with HRH on the air rifle solution. From the point of view of shooting the vermin it is completely legal but unfortunately, there are laws on using air rifles in public places (6 months prison and a £5000 fine). You have to be 50ft away from the centre of a public higway and the pellet is not allowed to stray beyond the boundary of the property which is difficult in a town centre. I believe you also have to have a good reason to shoot them (i.e. protection of crops) I had to laugh recently when I saw an elderly lady in Boscombe feeding the vermin right underneath a sign warning against it. Horseshoe common is the worst for it. I used to feed the moorhens at the pond there daily (watched them grow from a mating pair to a family of 7) then walk down further and see idiots feeding the pigeons. andydixon
  • Score: 0

7:00pm Thu 5 Jul 12

O'Reilly says...

Dick Dastardly would have sorted the little fella out.
Dick Dastardly would have sorted the little fella out. O'Reilly
  • Score: 0

7:13pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Cross_Your_Arms_Look_Angry says...

It'll only just go and get itself run over by a bus.
It'll only just go and get itself run over by a bus. Cross_Your_Arms_Look_Angry
  • Score: 0

7:24pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Pablo23 says...

I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here.

How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now.

I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world. Pablo23
  • Score: 0

7:25pm Thu 5 Jul 12

hucky999 says...

I have a fly in my room that cant get out..... Someone dial 999
I have a fly in my room that cant get out..... Someone dial 999 hucky999
  • Score: 0

7:52pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Was Charlie says...

Pablo23 wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here.

How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now.

I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
And the biggest vermin on the planet is people. Pigeons don't start wars, polute the planet, racially abuse other pigeons and a whole load of other things that humans do and then accuse some other humans of behaving like animals.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]And the biggest vermin on the planet is people. Pigeons don't start wars, polute the planet, racially abuse other pigeons and a whole load of other things that humans do and then accuse some other humans of behaving like animals. Was Charlie
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Thu 5 Jul 12

Roband65 says...

What a disgraceful waste of money !
What a disgraceful waste of money ! Roband65
  • Score: 0

8:52pm Thu 5 Jul 12

KLH says...

When there is a local or national incident about a human being being left to suffer or die because of elf and safety regulations, just remember this story!

Anyone notice the big lorry with the zoo advert on the side - as well - parked by the buildin concerned....
When there is a local or national incident about a human being being left to suffer or die because of elf and safety regulations, just remember this story! Anyone notice the big lorry with the zoo advert on the side - as well - parked by the buildin concerned.... KLH
  • Score: 0

10:17pm Thu 5 Jul 12

O'Reilly says...

Pablo23 wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here.

How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now.

I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
They were special pigeons not the street 'rogs' which abound these days. The Royal Farms at Windsor keep racing pigeons.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]They were special pigeons not the street 'rogs' which abound these days. The Royal Farms at Windsor keep racing pigeons. O'Reilly
  • Score: 0

10:46pm Thu 5 Jul 12

ben12341979 says...

The fire service could have refused to attend! I'm sure they didn't mind getting out for a bit! I'm glad they saved the pigeon!
The fire service could have refused to attend! I'm sure they didn't mind getting out for a bit! I'm glad they saved the pigeon! ben12341979
  • Score: 0

11:59pm Thu 5 Jul 12

andydixon says...

Pablo23 wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here.

How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now.

I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
Oh come on, let's keep this in context.
They weren't really brave, they were simply 'trained' to follow a simplistic routine of thoughts.
Very similar to the Daily Mail readers of today.
I am lucky in that I feel I should be able to hold the moral high-ground as, although not a vegan, I don't eat meat. However, the only reason for that is simply that I do not like it.
Pigeon fanciers, I would imagine to keep their flocks free of pests and diseases etc.
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]Oh come on, let's keep this in context. They weren't really brave, they were simply 'trained' to follow a simplistic routine of thoughts. Very similar to the Daily Mail readers of today. I am lucky in that I feel I should be able to hold the moral high-ground as, although not a vegan, I don't eat meat. However, the only reason for that is simply that I do not like it. Pigeon fanciers, I would imagine to keep their flocks free of pests and diseases etc. andydixon
  • Score: 0

5:42am Fri 6 Jul 12

hamworthygirl says...

O'Reilly wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here.

How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now.

I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
They were special pigeons not the street 'rogs' which abound these days. The Royal Farms at Windsor keep racing pigeons.
Racing pigeons are totally different the ones on the streets are vernin and in no way like the ones in the war. My uncle still keeps racing pigeons as has all my family at sometime for 60 years. While I wouldnt deliberately hurt any animal for the RSPCA to call the fire brigade i think was ridiculous and a waste of time. They could have just put it out of its misery with a rifle, sorry animal lover but thats life.
[quote][p][bold]O'Reilly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]They were special pigeons not the street 'rogs' which abound these days. The Royal Farms at Windsor keep racing pigeons.[/p][/quote]Racing pigeons are totally different the ones on the streets are vernin and in no way like the ones in the war. My uncle still keeps racing pigeons as has all my family at sometime for 60 years. While I wouldnt deliberately hurt any animal for the RSPCA to call the fire brigade i think was ridiculous and a waste of time. They could have just put it out of its misery with a rifle, sorry animal lover but thats life. hamworthygirl
  • Score: 0

8:19am Fri 6 Jul 12

Was Charlie says...

Roband65 wrote:
What a disgraceful waste of money !
So a training exercise to apply to other situations is a waste of money?
[quote][p][bold]Roband65[/bold] wrote: What a disgraceful waste of money ![/p][/quote]So a training exercise to apply to other situations is a waste of money? Was Charlie
  • Score: 0

8:33am Fri 6 Jul 12

Boredofthiscountry says...

Vikki27 wrote:
I won't read these comments because I imagine most of them will rule the life of the pigeon as unworthy of the expense of our emergency services.

Well, I agree fully with the RSPCA - a life is a life. People deem pigeons as worthless and undeserving of any form of attention but the fact is, they feel pain and fear and suffering as much as any other creature and anyone with a feeling bone in their body could no more walk past a pigeon or any other creature and condemn it to suffering a painful death than they could a small child. They deserve to live a natural life as much as any human being.
Very well said Vikki27,
[quote][p][bold]Vikki27[/bold] wrote: I won't read these comments because I imagine most of them will rule the life of the pigeon as unworthy of the expense of our emergency services. Well, I agree fully with the RSPCA - a life is a life. People deem pigeons as worthless and undeserving of any form of attention but the fact is, they feel pain and fear and suffering as much as any other creature and anyone with a feeling bone in their body could no more walk past a pigeon or any other creature and condemn it to suffering a painful death than they could a small child. They deserve to live a natural life as much as any human being.[/p][/quote]Very well said Vikki27, Boredofthiscountry
  • Score: 0

10:13am Fri 6 Jul 12

cleanery says...

They could have invited Sue Barker with her bazooka to sort it.
Best advert ever.
They could have invited Sue Barker with her bazooka to sort it. Best advert ever. cleanery
  • Score: 0

11:41am Fri 6 Jul 12

elite50 says...

Pablo23 wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world.
That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe).
Take a look at what we have now!
Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent.
Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe!
The only pigeons are US!
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world. That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe). Take a look at what we have now! Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent. Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe! The only pigeons are US! elite50
  • Score: 0

1:16pm Fri 6 Jul 12

Pablo23 says...

elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world.
That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe).
Take a look at what we have now!
Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent.
Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe!
The only pigeons are US!
Speak for yourself
[quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world. That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe). Take a look at what we have now! Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent. Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe! The only pigeons are US![/p][/quote]Speak for yourself Pablo23
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Fri 6 Jul 12

spooki says...

I'm going to sit on the fence here (pigeon like) - the fire service need to do training for such things as idiots climbing on rooftops or roof fires. The netting is awful. Whoever puts it there don't come and check if there are holes in it so the pigeons get stuck under it. I suppose those of you moaning would rather see a dead or dying pigeon stuck under some netting? There was one on a bus shelter roof in Boscombe and it was there for weeks. Much better I presume? And to garyhodge - was someone forcing you to stop working and gawp out of the window? Good grief talk about a non story. I guess it's a good thing there wasn't anything more interesting happening.
I'm going to sit on the fence here (pigeon like) - the fire service need to do training for such things as idiots climbing on rooftops or roof fires. The netting is awful. Whoever puts it there don't come and check if there are holes in it so the pigeons get stuck under it. I suppose those of you moaning would rather see a dead or dying pigeon stuck under some netting? There was one on a bus shelter roof in Boscombe and it was there for weeks. Much better I presume? And to garyhodge - was someone forcing you to stop working and gawp out of the window? Good grief talk about a non story. I guess it's a good thing there wasn't anything more interesting happening. spooki
  • Score: 0

2:18pm Fri 6 Jul 12

elite50 says...

Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world. That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe). Take a look at what we have now! Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent. Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe! The only pigeons are US!
Speak for yourself
I take it that you have not made it through the bird droppings to visit London or Boscombe lately?
[quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world. That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe). Take a look at what we have now! Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent. Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe! The only pigeons are US![/p][/quote]Speak for yourself[/p][/quote]I take it that you have not made it through the bird droppings to visit London or Boscombe lately? elite50
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Fri 6 Jul 12

cleanery says...

The racing pigeon rescued was a 2 year old blue chequer hen with yellow ring liberated at Fougeres into a westerly wind on the 6th June this year, lets hope it recuperates and gets back home to its loft in Swadlincote.

Please keep on subject.
The racing pigeon rescued was a 2 year old blue chequer hen with yellow ring liberated at Fougeres into a westerly wind on the 6th June this year, lets hope it recuperates and gets back home to its loft in Swadlincote. Please keep on subject. cleanery
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Fri 6 Jul 12

elite50 says...

cleanery wrote:
The racing pigeon rescued was a 2 year old blue chequer hen with yellow ring liberated at Fougeres into a westerly wind on the 6th June this year, lets hope it recuperates and gets back home to its loft in Swadlincote. Please keep on subject.
I was brought up in Throop.
We used to shoot pigeons whenever we could because they would raid our crops.
I used to hate pigeon pie because it was always full of lead pellets.
I hope it never makes it back to Swadlin(cote?) wherever the hell that is!
[quote][p][bold]cleanery[/bold] wrote: The racing pigeon rescued was a 2 year old blue chequer hen with yellow ring liberated at Fougeres into a westerly wind on the 6th June this year, lets hope it recuperates and gets back home to its loft in Swadlincote. Please keep on subject.[/p][/quote]I was brought up in Throop. We used to shoot pigeons whenever we could because they would raid our crops. I used to hate pigeon pie because it was always full of lead pellets. I hope it never makes it back to Swadlin(cote?) wherever the hell that is! elite50
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Fri 6 Jul 12

cleanery says...

Eating all that lead has clearly had profound affects on your health possibly the reason you are at this sorry time of your life the way you are always so sad,
please get well soon. i can help you.
I am being kind to you dont you get it.
Eating all that lead has clearly had profound affects on your health possibly the reason you are at this sorry time of your life the way you are always so sad, please get well soon. i can help you. I am being kind to you dont you get it. cleanery
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Fri 6 Jul 12

cleanery says...

Eating all that lead has clearly had profound affects on your health possibly the reason you are at this sorry time of your life the way you are always so sad,
please get well soon. i can help you.
I am being kind to you dont you get it.
Eating all that lead has clearly had profound affects on your health possibly the reason you are at this sorry time of your life the way you are always so sad, please get well soon. i can help you. I am being kind to you dont you get it. cleanery
  • Score: 0

5:45pm Fri 6 Jul 12

Pablo23 says...

elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote:
elite50 wrote:
Pablo23 wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.
We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world. That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe). Take a look at what we have now! Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent. Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe! The only pigeons are US!
Speak for yourself
I take it that you have not made it through the bird droppings to visit London or Boscombe lately?
I meant this bit
"The only pigeons are US!"
I didn't read the rest of it
[quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elite50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pablo23[/bold] wrote: I have to say I'm pretty flabberghasted at all the bad vibes directed at pigeons on here. How quickly people forget that without the brave carrier pigeons working for King and country during the 1st World War we would almost certainly have lost and all be speaking German now. I can't see Gerry scrambling the fire engines to rescue this poor innocent chap. Its our love and compassion of animals that sets us apart from most of the world.[/p][/quote]We are, as you say, apart from the rest of the world. That is because "the rest of the world" are realists (as we once were before we threw it all away defending the rest of Europe). Take a look at what we have now! Go to London, it will take you two days to hear a cockney accent. Go to Boscombe, you will feel like a foreigner if you dont come from eastern Europe! The only pigeons are US![/p][/quote]Speak for yourself[/p][/quote]I take it that you have not made it through the bird droppings to visit London or Boscombe lately?[/p][/quote]I meant this bit "The only pigeons are US!" I didn't read the rest of it Pablo23
  • Score: 0

10:53pm Fri 6 Jul 12

Adrian XX says...

If "a life is a life", then we should call the fire brigade to rescue flies, snails and drowning daddy long legs.

Seriously, the RSPCA needs to pay for this - this should not come from taxpayers money, many of whom would rather have the pigeon in a pie.
If "a life is a life", then we should call the fire brigade to rescue flies, snails and drowning daddy long legs. Seriously, the RSPCA needs to pay for this - this should not come from taxpayers money, many of whom would rather have the pigeon in a pie. Adrian XX
  • Score: 0

8:34am Sat 7 Jul 12

cleanery says...

I hope it never makes it back to Swadlin(cote?) wherever the hell that is!”



the pigeon knows where it is

it has a brain bigger than a peanut. LOL
I hope it never makes it back to Swadlin(cote?) wherever the hell that is!” the pigeon knows where it is it has a brain bigger than a peanut. LOL cleanery
  • Score: 0

8:40am Sat 7 Jul 12

cleanery says...

apologies i meant half a peanut
sorry
apologies i meant half a peanut sorry cleanery
  • Score: 0

6:58pm Sat 7 Jul 12

MaidofDorset says...

They do practise drills all the time to make sure they can use the equipment efficiently.

It was a pigeon trapped on a roof, next time they could be using it to rescue a family from the top floor flat of a blazing building.
They do practise drills all the time to make sure they can use the equipment efficiently. It was a pigeon trapped on a roof, next time they could be using it to rescue a family from the top floor flat of a blazing building. MaidofDorset
  • Score: 0

12:35am Sun 8 Jul 12

elite50 says...

cleanery wrote:
I hope it never makes it back to Swadlin(cote?) wherever the hell that is!” the pigeon knows where it is it has a brain bigger than a peanut. LOL
LOL????
You really got me with that one!
Laughing at your own so called jokes?
Lots of depth there!
You should get a call from MENSA anytime soon. Just take a deep breath, hold it and as soon as you get the call you can let it out.
See, two problems solved at the same time.
[quote][p][bold]cleanery[/bold] wrote: I hope it never makes it back to Swadlin(cote?) wherever the hell that is!” the pigeon knows where it is it has a brain bigger than a peanut. LOL[/p][/quote]LOL???? You really got me with that one! Laughing at your own so called jokes? Lots of depth there! You should get a call from MENSA anytime soon. Just take a deep breath, hold it and as soon as you get the call you can let it out. See, two problems solved at the same time. elite50
  • Score: 0

11:13am Sun 8 Jul 12

Rally says...

MaidofDorset wrote:
They do practise drills all the time to make sure they can use the equipment efficiently.

It was a pigeon trapped on a roof, next time they could be using it to rescue a family from the top floor flat of a blazing building.
An excellent point, MaidofDorset and others here who have said much the same.
Do others here really believe that our Fire and Rescue Service should confine its training and practice to the Fire Station yard?
If so, then you best hope and pray that you never need to call on their services.
As for you folk complaining about the Echo running this story, would you prefer page after page of reports on murder, rape, armed robbery and so on - and keeping your fingers crossed that you were not a victim of any such crime?
[quote][p][bold]MaidofDorset[/bold] wrote: They do practise drills all the time to make sure they can use the equipment efficiently. It was a pigeon trapped on a roof, next time they could be using it to rescue a family from the top floor flat of a blazing building.[/p][/quote]An excellent point, MaidofDorset and others here who have said much the same. Do others here really believe that our Fire and Rescue Service should confine its training and practice to the Fire Station yard? If so, then you best hope and pray that you never need to call on their services. As for you folk complaining about the Echo running this story, would you prefer page after page of reports on murder, rape, armed robbery and so on - and keeping your fingers crossed that you were not a victim of any such crime? Rally
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree