Report this comment
  • "Oh dear, they are out in force today ... maybe it's the sunshine.

    So harry, here we are, as previously posted -

    "Why is this cost being put through the books of the football club ?

    Why if the club is 'happy' to pay has it now put this sudden deadline on things ?"

    Those are mine and there are numerous more from other posters

    And to Renegade Master, a really odd one who simply makes things up to reply to - perhaps he could point out to us all where I said anything in this thread about -

    "corruption in the planning department?""
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Eddie Mitchell defies planning officers as work starts on Cherries' car park

Eddie Mitchell defies planning officers as work starts on Cherries' car park

PLANS: AFC Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell in the gravel car park next to the stadium at Kings Park in Bournemouth. Picture: Corin Messer

Eddie Mitchell defies planning officers as work starts on Cherries' car park

Eddie Mitchell defies planning officers as work starts on Cherries' car park

First published in News by , Chief Reporter

AFC Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell has started work on resurfacing the car, coach and lorry park at Dean Court today, despite not having permission to do so.

On Monday, planning chiefs decided to defer the application for the resurfacing and laying out of the car park, asking for clarification on the number of car park spaces there would be and for more details on traffic management.

It was called into the Planning Board by ward councillor Nick King, who raised worries over public access to public green space, disruption to views across the park and the impact on road safety and parking amenities.

But, speaking to the Daily Echo yesterday, Cherries boss Mr Mitchell said he planned to begin work first thing this morning regardless – risking potential enforcement action – as waiting a month would see the offer of £600,000 funding from the club withdrawn.

The club says the work will stop flooding, fly tipping and use of the car park by drivers doing stunts.

Mr Mitchell said: “It’s an addition to the application for the lorry park to be resurfaced and for some unknown reason the council asked us to make an application to remove the bund that’s causing the car park to flood.

“That is part of the resurfacing of the car park and makes more land available for parking. We assumed that was OK and we planned to start work.

“I have to presume it’s the case and we can get on and start resurfacing it.

“That’s what we’re going to do; we do not want to cancel.

“The biggest concern to me is funding was made available to start now and if it’s deferred for a month that’s going to be withdrawn.”

The application had been recommended for approval, with planning officers saying it would bring a formal parking layout and new landscaped areas.

Cllr David Kelsey, Planning Board chairman, said members wanted more details on how match day parking would be accommodated.

“We are concerned that a loss of car park spaces in the area would lead to parking on local roads during match days,” he said.

“This could inconvenience King’s Park and Littledown residents and this was the basis of our decision to defer.

“We need clarity from the club on what agreements they will put in place to provide parking while their works take place,” the councillor added.

Comments (105)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree