Bournemouth bus driver disciplined over Muslim complaint

First published in News by , Chief Reporter

A MUSLIM family say they were “singled out” by a Bournemouth bus driver.

The mother, who does not speak English, and daughter – both were wearing headscarves – and two sons, said they tried to purchase a family ticket on the number 2b bus when the problems began.

The family, who asked not to be named to prevent further problems, said the driver became “irate”.

Yellow Buses said the driver had been disciplined but strongly denied that the incident had anything to do with race.

The 16-year-old daughter of the family said the argument began when she was told a family ticket was £9, when the week before it had been £7.

“He spoke to me in a very rude tone, I was shocked,” she said.

She then tried to purchase individual tickets, but she and the driver again disagreed over the cost.

“He turned the engine off and he said ‘Let’s make these people wait and be later than they are’. He got to the point where he was really angry, so I said we would just get off the bus,” said the daughter.

The family said that they then tried to flag down another bus, but the driver of the first one told its driver not to allow them on.

The daughter added: “Me and my mum were wearing headscarves and he didn’t do it to anyone else, just us.”

The family said they felt singled out, embarrassed, and victims of a “hate crime”.

Jenni Wilkinson, Yellow Buses’ head of marketing, said: “We have fully investigated this incident, which arose over the cost of a family ticket. We are absolutely satisfied that no racism was involved and strenuously deny any such suggestion.

“We do, however, feel that the high standards of customer care our passengers expect were not met on this occasion and, for this reason, disciplinary action has been taken against the driver involved. We have also apologised to the family.”

Comments (63)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:20pm Sat 22 Jan 11

saynomore says...

If things dont go your way play the race card,typical.
If things dont go your way play the race card,typical. saynomore
  • Score: 2

1:25pm Sat 22 Jan 11

kin-hell says...

If the 'family' concerned are allowed to tell their side of the story to the Echo, surely the driver should be able to tell his side, not just through a transport spokeman.
.
There is far to much of the 'Race Card' being used.
If the 'family' concerned are allowed to tell their side of the story to the Echo, surely the driver should be able to tell his side, not just through a transport spokeman. . There is far to much of the 'Race Card' being used. kin-hell
  • Score: 2

1:28pm Sat 22 Jan 11

kin-hell says...

People should know by now that Bus Drivers hate anyone who hasn't the correct money or doesn't know the correct fare.
.
Not racism but a person doing a difficult job every day.
People should know by now that Bus Drivers hate anyone who hasn't the correct money or doesn't know the correct fare. . Not racism but a person doing a difficult job every day. kin-hell
  • Score: 1

1:34pm Sat 22 Jan 11

WibbleFishBananna says...

After reading it sounds more like sour grapes.
First question I have is if they reside in the UK, then why does the mother not speak English? That is not the fault of the bus driver, I have travelled to other countries even only for a week and make an attempt to speak the language.
Secondly VAT has gone up and a lots of prices have risen, so where is the surprise in that.
Thirdly in the story does the bus driver refer to them as Muslims, no he does not.
So actually what we have here is a story about a family who are happy to live in the UK, but do not seem to want special treatment, because they make no attempt to speak the native language and then play the 'race' card because someone has got annoyed with them for trying to pull a fast one.
It is time we do what every other Country does, we live our lives according to the rules, laws, heritage of the UK, if people want to integrate, fine I am all for it. However we should stop walking around on egg shells for fear of upsetting people, it is that sort of attitude that breeds 'real' racism and grows support for the extreme right.
In Europe we are closely repeating what happened in Germany in the 1930's and that should never be allowed to happen again.
After reading it sounds more like sour grapes. First question I have is if they reside in the UK, then why does the mother not speak English? That is not the fault of the bus driver, I have travelled to other countries even only for a week and make an attempt to speak the language. Secondly VAT has gone up and a lots of prices have risen, so where is the surprise in that. Thirdly in the story does the bus driver refer to them as Muslims, no he does not. So actually what we have here is a story about a family who are happy to live in the UK, but do not seem to want special treatment, because they make no attempt to speak the native language and then play the 'race' card because someone has got annoyed with them for trying to pull a fast one. It is time we do what every other Country does, we live our lives according to the rules, laws, heritage of the UK, if people want to integrate, fine I am all for it. However we should stop walking around on egg shells for fear of upsetting people, it is that sort of attitude that breeds 'real' racism and grows support for the extreme right. In Europe we are closely repeating what happened in Germany in the 1930's and that should never be allowed to happen again. WibbleFishBananna
  • Score: 1

1:37pm Sat 22 Jan 11

MikeFrench says...

kin-hell wrote:
People should know by now that Bus Drivers hate anyone who hasn't the correct money or doesn't know the correct fare.
.
Not racism but a person doing a difficult job every day.
"Not racism but a person doing a difficult job every day."

Couldn't agree more
[quote][p][bold]kin-hell[/bold] wrote: People should know by now that Bus Drivers hate anyone who hasn't the correct money or doesn't know the correct fare. . Not racism but a person doing a difficult job every day.[/p][/quote]"Not racism but a person doing a difficult job every day." Couldn't agree more MikeFrench
  • Score: 1

1:48pm Sat 22 Jan 11

contric says...

when in rome do as the romans do when in bournemouth do as the bournemouthians do and if they dont like it dont use the buses
when in rome do as the romans do when in bournemouth do as the bournemouthians do and if they dont like it dont use the buses contric
  • Score: 1

2:28pm Sat 22 Jan 11

ismellarat says...

How does this become "news"? it's an incident among many which doesn't highlight anything, doesn't answer anything and no-one has been injured, damaged or otherwise adversely affected.

If I complain about this post will you publish it?

PROBABLY!
How does this become "news"? it's an incident among many which doesn't highlight anything, doesn't answer anything and no-one has been injured, damaged or otherwise adversely affected. If I complain about this post will you publish it? PROBABLY! ismellarat
  • Score: 0

2:36pm Sat 22 Jan 11

eyesropen says...

Sounds like a stroppy teenager who has learned to use the race/ religion card to get her own way. Bus drivers are equally rude to everyone so if anything he was being inclusive! It's no wonder they're grumpy when lily livered managers don't support them in ridiculous situations like this.
Sounds like a stroppy teenager who has learned to use the race/ religion card to get her own way. Bus drivers are equally rude to everyone so if anything he was being inclusive! It's no wonder they're grumpy when lily livered managers don't support them in ridiculous situations like this. eyesropen
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Sat 22 Jan 11

captsanders says...

This whole episode stinks of someone playing the race card yet again, why mention that the family were wearing head scarves, I have seen thousands of people recently wearing them because of the cold weather, that was mentioned to add to a race related complaint .
I suspect lots of people have had disagreements with bus drivers over fare prices what ever their nationality.
Complaints such as this which have no substance cause racism in our society to rear it's ugly head too often and too many hard working people have been branded racist unjustly because of such complaints.
It doesn't matter what colour you are or where you come from, putting complaint such as this against people because you don't agree with something causes more trouble unnecessarily.
This whole episode stinks of someone playing the race card yet again, why mention that the family were wearing head scarves, I have seen thousands of people recently wearing them because of the cold weather, that was mentioned to add to a race related complaint . I suspect lots of people have had disagreements with bus drivers over fare prices what ever their nationality. Complaints such as this which have no substance cause racism in our society to rear it's ugly head too often and too many hard working people have been branded racist unjustly because of such complaints. It doesn't matter what colour you are or where you come from, putting complaint such as this against people because you don't agree with something causes more trouble unnecessarily. captsanders
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Sat 22 Jan 11

MikeFrench says...

Let's 'widen the picture' then.
I myself, being white & English have had problems with having the wrong change on a bus.
All I could offer was a £5.
Got the same hostility but I don't write to the Echo about it - the bus drivers face enough crap as it is - a smile is sometimes all it takes
Let's 'widen the picture' then. I myself, being white & English have had problems with having the wrong change on a bus. All I could offer was a £5. Got the same hostility but I don't write to the Echo about it - the bus drivers face enough crap as it is - a smile is sometimes all it takes MikeFrench
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Sat 22 Jan 11

payoff says...

No wonder the bus driver became irate,first they try to con a cheap fare and then accuse the driver of racism. If anybody is due an apology it is the bus driver who was only doing his job which is only made more difficult by people just want to make trouble, to call this hate crime shows how crazy thease people are. Yellow Buses have nothing to apologise for they should back their drivers when people try to con a cheap fare and banthem from useing their buses in future
No wonder the bus driver became irate,first they try to con a cheap fare and then accuse the driver of racism. If anybody is due an apology it is the bus driver who was only doing his job which is only made more difficult by people just want to make trouble, to call this hate crime shows how crazy thease people are. Yellow Buses have nothing to apologise for they should back their drivers when people try to con a cheap fare and banthem from useing their buses in future payoff
  • Score: 1

4:00pm Sat 22 Jan 11

GB916 says...

If the mother could be bothered to learn english,then she and her family would realise yelow buses announced recently that the bus fares were going up,so the bus driver was only telling them that,but as usual out comes the race card,to try and hide the fact this family is at fault,i fully support the driver,even though he explained the fare increase this family still argued,of course the driver would seem annoyed,this family were being awkward and delaying the bus due to there own ignorance.
If the mother could be bothered to learn english,then she and her family would realise yelow buses announced recently that the bus fares were going up,so the bus driver was only telling them that,but as usual out comes the race card,to try and hide the fact this family is at fault,i fully support the driver,even though he explained the fare increase this family still argued,of course the driver would seem annoyed,this family were being awkward and delaying the bus due to there own ignorance. GB916
  • Score: 1

4:53pm Sat 22 Jan 11

rayc says...

Having worked in Saudi Arabia, the home of Islam, where non Muslims cannot even enter the cities of Mecca and Medinah I find it a bit ironic that the complinants in this case feel hard done by on religious grounds.When they have to carry a identity card which is a different colour than Christians then they would have reason to complain on religious grounds. Non Muslims have a different colour document than Muslims in Saudi Arabia.
No doubt the bus driver was rude but I doubt this was on religious grounds at all.
Having worked in Saudi Arabia, the home of Islam, where non Muslims cannot even enter the cities of Mecca and Medinah I find it a bit ironic that the complinants in this case feel hard done by on religious grounds.When they have to carry a identity card which is a different colour than Christians then they would have reason to complain on religious grounds. Non Muslims have a different colour document than Muslims in Saudi Arabia. No doubt the bus driver was rude but I doubt this was on religious grounds at all. rayc
  • Score: 0

4:59pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Adamapple says...

12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal.

Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011. Adamapple
  • Score: -3

5:05pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Xchurch-man says...

"The mother who speaks no English" says it all really. She has a teenage daughter who seems to speak reasonable English, yet she herself has not had the decency to learn the language of the country in which she now resides.
When I go on holiday to a non English speaking country, I make it my business to try and learn rudimentary tourist phrases before I leave. Not conversational stuff, but simple things such as would be of help in a shop, bar, restaurant, in a taxi or indeed on a bus.
No English after this length of time? I would call that racist in itself.
"The mother who speaks no English" says it all really. She has a teenage daughter who seems to speak reasonable English, yet she herself has not had the decency to learn the language of the country in which she now resides. When I go on holiday to a non English speaking country, I make it my business to try and learn rudimentary tourist phrases before I leave. Not conversational stuff, but simple things such as would be of help in a shop, bar, restaurant, in a taxi or indeed on a bus. No English after this length of time? I would call that racist in itself. Xchurch-man
  • Score: 0

5:07pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Xchurch-man says...

Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?
[quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted? Xchurch-man
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Sat 22 Jan 11

dvdr says...

I have come across this sort of thing before, when a family from abroad (not Europe or USA, but I am not going to say where) thinks that they should be able to obtain a quantity or other discount on a bus, and cannot grasp the idea that things do not work like that here. In the example I witnessed, the bus driver tried hard, and very politely, but firmly, said this was not possible. This is England - we do things differently here! (And may I say, in my opinion, better?)

I get particularly perturbed when visitors or immigrants from (for example only) Muslim countries expect us to work to their norms, but are intolerant beyond belief if we visit their country and wanted to apply our standards. We are the tolerant ones, but are expected to stand aside so that they, the incomers to England, can impose their ways upon us.

Try taking a Bible for your own personal use to (say) Saudi Arabia, and compare the response to that with the freedom we offer here!
I have come across this sort of thing before, when a family from abroad (not Europe or USA, but I am not going to say where) thinks that they should be able to obtain a quantity or other discount on a bus, and cannot grasp the idea that things do not work like that here. In the example I witnessed, the bus driver tried hard, and very politely, but firmly, said this was not possible. This is England - we do things differently here! (And may I say, in my opinion, better?) I get particularly perturbed when visitors or immigrants from (for example only) Muslim countries expect us to work to their norms, but are intolerant beyond belief if we visit their country and wanted to apply our standards. We are the tolerant ones, but are expected to stand aside so that they, the incomers to England, can impose their ways upon us. Try taking a Bible for your own personal use to (say) Saudi Arabia, and compare the response to that with the freedom we offer here! dvdr
  • Score: 1

5:16pm Sat 22 Jan 11

saynomore says...

OK lets turn this around,if the bus driver had been muslim or any other race or religion but white would they have complained so much?? I think not.Racial abuse is not just experienced by ethnics,I was subjected to balatnt racism as a white brit when I worked in Burmuda some years ago.
Did I got running to the local paper,NO.
OK lets turn this around,if the bus driver had been muslim or any other race or religion but white would they have complained so much?? I think not.Racial abuse is not just experienced by ethnics,I was subjected to balatnt racism as a white brit when I worked in Burmuda some years ago. Did I got running to the local paper,NO. saynomore
  • Score: 0

5:19pm Sat 22 Jan 11

saynomore says...

Sorry that will be Blatant not balatnt,finger slip
Sorry that will be Blatant not balatnt,finger slip saynomore
  • Score: 0

5:33pm Sat 22 Jan 11

captsanders says...

Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal.

Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
And pray tell, why would she and her family deserve sympathy.
Nothing to do with bigoted Britain, it's her attitude that's the problem.
Couple of questions though, where were any witnesses to this so called racist slur by the bus driver and also how would she know that the bus driver told the second driver not to let her on, seems to be a lot of excuses from this woman but little evidence to support her accusations.
[quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]And pray tell, why would she and her family deserve sympathy. Nothing to do with bigoted Britain, it's her attitude that's the problem. Couple of questions though, where were any witnesses to this so called racist slur by the bus driver and also how would she know that the bus driver told the second driver not to let her on, seems to be a lot of excuses from this woman but little evidence to support her accusations. captsanders
  • Score: 0

6:14pm Sat 22 Jan 11

ranger_bob says...

"Jenni Wilkinson, Yellow Buses’ head of marketing, said: “We have fully investigated this incident, which arose over the cost of a family ticket. We are absolutely satisfied that no racism was involved and strenuously deny any such suggestion." - She's **** right racism wasn't involved because no matter what they think Islam isn't a race.
..
This just smacks of arrogant people wanting everything there own way and then when they can't screaming Hate Crime. Problem is those in authority are too scared to call their bluff!
"Jenni Wilkinson, Yellow Buses’ head of marketing, said: “We have fully investigated this incident, which arose over the cost of a family ticket. We are absolutely satisfied that no racism was involved and strenuously deny any such suggestion." - She's **** right racism wasn't involved because no matter what they think Islam isn't a race. .. This just smacks of arrogant people wanting everything there own way and then when they can't screaming Hate Crime. Problem is those in authority are too scared to call their bluff! ranger_bob
  • Score: 0

6:16pm Sat 22 Jan 11

rayc says...

Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
I have every sympathy for them in having met a rude bus driver who's behaviour, according to the bus company, "was below the high standards of customer care our passengers expect".
This headline and article says the family are claiming this was because of RELIGIOUS reasons. There is no evidence in the article to back up this claim but the family are free to persue this claim in law if they wish to.
[quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]I have every sympathy for them in having met a rude bus driver who's behaviour, according to the bus company, "was below the high standards of customer care our passengers expect". This headline and article says the family are claiming this was because of RELIGIOUS reasons. There is no evidence in the article to back up this claim but the family are free to persue this claim in law if they wish to. rayc
  • Score: -1

6:36pm Sat 22 Jan 11

WIGGINSv says...

"It cost £7 now it is £9." We are living in dire financial times, get used to it. Even the English are not exempt from price increases, it is not a race thing. It is called inflation, or as we call it, a total F****** rip off.
"It cost £7 now it is £9." We are living in dire financial times, get used to it. Even the English are not exempt from price increases, it is not a race thing. It is called inflation, or as we call it, a total F****** rip off. WIGGINSv
  • Score: 0

6:42pm Sat 22 Jan 11

WIGGINSv says...

Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
Bigoted Britain? When you can be arrested for using a naughty word. P*** off.
[quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]Bigoted Britain? When you can be arrested for using a naughty word. P*** off. WIGGINSv
  • Score: -1

7:01pm Sat 22 Jan 11

UndeadMessiah says...

Xchurch-man wrote:
Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?
Well, no, it's not bigoted. Buy a dictionary and look up the definition. You should also look up the words 'ignorant' and 'cretin'.
[quote][p][bold]Xchurch-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?[/p][/quote]Well, no, it's not bigoted. Buy a dictionary and look up the definition. You should also look up the words 'ignorant' and 'cretin'. UndeadMessiah
  • Score: 1

7:43pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Heimdall says...

Maybe if the accusers of hate or race discrimination are punished by law if there is no evidence for, then the race card might stop being played so regularly. It would make the potential accusers think twice.
Maybe if the accusers of hate or race discrimination are punished by law if there is no evidence for, then the race card might stop being played so regularly. It would make the potential accusers think twice. Heimdall
  • Score: 0

8:17pm Sat 22 Jan 11

ranger_bob says...

Heimdall wrote:
Maybe if the accusers of hate or race discrimination are punished by law if there is no evidence for, then the race card might stop being played so regularly. It would make the potential accusers think twice.
You can't just punish people accused of crimes they actually have to be guilty of something. On the other hand if those who falsely accuse others of race or hate crimes were punished then it might stop them doing it quite so often!
[quote][p][bold]Heimdall[/bold] wrote: Maybe if the accusers of hate or race discrimination are punished by law if there is no evidence for, then the race card might stop being played so regularly. It would make the potential accusers think twice.[/p][/quote]You can't just punish people accused of crimes they actually have to be guilty of something. On the other hand if those who falsely accuse others of race or hate crimes were punished then it might stop them doing it quite so often! ranger_bob
  • Score: 0

8:22pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Xchurch-man says...

UndeadMessiah wrote:
Xchurch-man wrote:
Adamapple wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?
Well, no, it's not bigoted. Buy a dictionary and look up the definition. You should also look up the words 'ignorant' and 'cretin'.
I know full well the meaning of the word, as well as the other two you so kindly suggested I look up.
So I take it from your post that you don't feel it is selfish, ignorant and pompous to take up permanent residence in another country and not have the decency and respect to your new "fellow countrymen" to learn it's language?
But there again I doubt that anyone who can only trade cheap insults would.
[quote][p][bold]UndeadMessiah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Xchurch-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?[/p][/quote]Well, no, it's not bigoted. Buy a dictionary and look up the definition. You should also look up the words 'ignorant' and 'cretin'.[/p][/quote]I know full well the meaning of the word, as well as the other two you so kindly suggested I look up. So I take it from your post that you don't feel it is selfish, ignorant and pompous to take up permanent residence in another country and not have the decency and respect to your new "fellow countrymen" to learn it's language? But there again I doubt that anyone who can only trade cheap insults would. Xchurch-man
  • Score: 0

8:22pm Sat 22 Jan 11

taffeeeee says...

I'm sick of these people who use the race card,i can understand the driver getting frustrated he probably has to deal with annoying people all day long but

IF YOU DONT LIKE THEY WAY WE LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY F*** OFF AND GO BACK TO YOUR FREE LIVING LAW ABIDING COUNTRYS,IF YOU WANT TO STAY THEN LIVE BY OUR WAYS AND OUR LAWS
I'm sick of these people who use the race card,i can understand the driver getting frustrated he probably has to deal with annoying people all day long but IF YOU DONT LIKE THEY WAY WE LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY F*** OFF AND GO BACK TO YOUR FREE LIVING LAW ABIDING COUNTRYS,IF YOU WANT TO STAY THEN LIVE BY OUR WAYS AND OUR LAWS taffeeeee
  • Score: 0

9:01pm Sat 22 Jan 11

PokesdownMark says...

I was thinking about Baroness Warsis comments that prejudice towards Muslims had "passed the dinner table test" and become socially acceptable. The trouble is the confusion with race and religion. There is no Muslim race. Although Islam does mandate, essentially, a political system alongside the typical religious ideas. So this causes the confusion between race and religion. You cannot criticise Islam without this being seen as racism. This is a really massive problem. We somehow need to separate, in the minds of our policy makers, the religion from the people. We need to be able to criticise legitimate issues with Islam without the race card being used to provide the ideology with undue levels of protection.
I was thinking about Baroness Warsis comments that prejudice towards Muslims had "passed the dinner table test" and become socially acceptable. The trouble is the confusion with race and religion. There is no Muslim race. Although Islam does mandate, essentially, a political system alongside the typical religious ideas. So this causes the confusion between race and religion. You cannot criticise Islam without this being seen as racism. This is a really massive problem. We somehow need to separate, in the minds of our policy makers, the religion from the people. We need to be able to criticise legitimate issues with Islam without the race card being used to provide the ideology with undue levels of protection. PokesdownMark
  • Score: 0

9:23pm Sat 22 Jan 11

BIGTONE says...

Xchurch-man wrote:
Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?
I presume this lady has not been in the country for long if she cannot speak English.If she is here on permanent leave to stay it is a requirement to speak and understand English.If she is here on holiday....ahhhh well misunderstandings happen to all of us in all countries.
For some time now it has been a Home Office requirement that foreign nationals seeking leave to stay in the UK have to pass an English test.
So what happened here then?
Was she on holiday or a resident?
Can the Echo clarify please?
[quote][p][bold]Xchurch-man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]As I said in my previous post, lived here long enough to have a teenage daughter who CAN speak English, but don't speak it yourself. Is that not bigoted?[/p][/quote]I presume this lady has not been in the country for long if she cannot speak English.If she is here on permanent leave to stay it is a requirement to speak and understand English.If she is here on holiday....ahhhh well misunderstandings happen to all of us in all countries. For some time now it has been a Home Office requirement that foreign nationals seeking leave to stay in the UK have to pass an English test. So what happened here then? Was she on holiday or a resident? Can the Echo clarify please? BIGTONE
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Xchurch-man says...

Yes well said Mark.
This is becoming a great problem. Sadly all it does is give credence to right wing fanatics.
It is time that this debate was brought into the mainstream without the fear of being called a "racist".
Speaking out against things we see as wrong is part of our society and our freedoms.
Yes well said Mark. This is becoming a great problem. Sadly all it does is give credence to right wing fanatics. It is time that this debate was brought into the mainstream without the fear of being called a "racist". Speaking out against things we see as wrong is part of our society and our freedoms. Xchurch-man
  • Score: 0

10:44pm Sat 22 Jan 11

solo1978 says...

could they have been on holiday??

I have to say I use buses all the time and the drivers are rude a lot of the time. An old lady was struggling to get on the bus and the bus driver closed the doors on her and drove off. A woman was struggling to get on, the bus was fairly full, her little boy ran on ahead and the driver closed the doors on her in Westbourne. Luckily the next bus stop is just down the road, where she then got on and got her boy back. There are many foreign people in our town, being a tourist destination, and it doesn't matter if you are wearing a head scarf or not, I have seen students struggle but try their best to ask for a ticket, which even I could understand but the driver kept saying he didnt understand. They tend to be quite grumpy a lot of the time to be honest...
could they have been on holiday?? I have to say I use buses all the time and the drivers are rude a lot of the time. An old lady was struggling to get on the bus and the bus driver closed the doors on her and drove off. A woman was struggling to get on, the bus was fairly full, her little boy ran on ahead and the driver closed the doors on her in Westbourne. Luckily the next bus stop is just down the road, where she then got on and got her boy back. There are many foreign people in our town, being a tourist destination, and it doesn't matter if you are wearing a head scarf or not, I have seen students struggle but try their best to ask for a ticket, which even I could understand but the driver kept saying he didnt understand. They tend to be quite grumpy a lot of the time to be honest... solo1978
  • Score: 0

11:02pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Twokayten says...

Cor...I remember having to walk home on a Sunday night when I was a teenager because I didn't have change of £5 for the bus. Nowhere was open to get any, and it was a 5 mile walk.
But I also remember another bus driver once let me on for free and took my details when I had lost my purse, and told me to pay when I could.
Its life. It happens.
I also remember stopping off in Birmingham once and going into a shop to get a can of coke and ordered out of the door because I was white?
Its life. It happens.........
Cor...I remember having to walk home on a Sunday night when I was a teenager because I didn't have change of £5 for the bus. Nowhere was open to get any, and it was a 5 mile walk. But I also remember another bus driver once let me on for free and took my details when I had lost my purse, and told me to pay when I could. Its life. It happens. I also remember stopping off in Birmingham once and going into a shop to get a can of coke and ordered out of the door because I was white? Its life. It happens......... Twokayten
  • Score: 0

11:30pm Sat 22 Jan 11

polblagger says...

According to the Yellow Buses website a family ticket is indeed £9 not £7.

Guests of this country should be instructed that bartering is not acceptable on public transport.
According to the Yellow Buses website a family ticket is indeed £9 not £7. Guests of this country should be instructed that bartering is not acceptable on public transport. polblagger
  • Score: 0

11:37pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Gordon Clifton says...

In my experience the bus driver was behaving normally. Too often I have seen drivers being sullen,downright rude and condescending towards passengers. Perhaps if the bus company carried mystery shoppers on their buses they would discover this at first hand - then do something about it.
In my experience the bus driver was behaving normally. Too often I have seen drivers being sullen,downright rude and condescending towards passengers. Perhaps if the bus company carried mystery shoppers on their buses they would discover this at first hand - then do something about it. Gordon Clifton
  • Score: 0

11:50pm Sat 22 Jan 11

Phixer says...

Adamapple wrote:
12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal.

Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.
What a bigot!

'Adamapple' doesn't like the idea that we are not supporting an 'ethnic' family when the complaint has nothing to do with race.

The family was not 'poor' but didn't like the idea that they had to pay the correct bus fare.
[quote][p][bold]Adamapple[/bold] wrote: 12 replies and not one sympathetic to a poor family's ordeal. Welcome to Bigoted Britain 2011.[/p][/quote]What a bigot! 'Adamapple' doesn't like the idea that we are not supporting an 'ethnic' family when the complaint has nothing to do with race. The family was not 'poor' but didn't like the idea that they had to pay the correct bus fare. Phixer
  • Score: 0

12:07am Sun 23 Jan 11

Upkeep says...

"WibbleFishBananna wrote:
In Europe we are closely repeating what happened in Germany in the 1930's and that should never be allowed to happen again."

Oh I dont know, at least their buses ran on time.
"WibbleFishBananna wrote: In Europe we are closely repeating what happened in Germany in the 1930's and that should never be allowed to happen again." Oh I dont know, at least their buses ran on time. Upkeep
  • Score: 0

9:12am Sun 23 Jan 11

alfie23 says...

woman deserves no sympathy, typical race card, probably being giving all types of benefits to be staying here, probably give her a bus pass soon to say sorry, message to bus driver - you enjoy your sunday lunch mate looks like 99.99% of bmth is behind you, you deserve it , inless your working of course i expect they won't
woman deserves no sympathy, typical race card, probably being giving all types of benefits to be staying here, probably give her a bus pass soon to say sorry, message to bus driver - you enjoy your sunday lunch mate looks like 99.99% of bmth is behind you, you deserve it , inless your working of course i expect they won't alfie23
  • Score: 0

9:25am Sun 23 Jan 11

poolebabe says...

To me it's ridiculous to put a racist slant on this story. What about the driver here? Ok, so his customer service skills weren't up to par, but how many times do we hear of grumpy bus drivers? All the time. They have a job to do, and are under a lot of pressure, and lets face it, not everyone greets them with a smile either! Someone makes a complaint they believe is racism, and a company is forced to investigate. They don't find racism, but I would imagine they are put under pressure to act on the complaint in some way, to pacify the person making the complaint. So the bus driver has a blemish on his record, and all because someone played the race card, and probably not because of his customer service skills. Does this help race relations? In my opinion, no. Racism is wrong, but when the race card is thrown about flippantly, it breeds it. This woman put a racist slant on her complaint, just because she is a Muslim and she could. Flipping the racist argument here, I would suggest that if there was any racism at all, it has come from her, not the driver. We have come a long way in this country to stamp out discrimination, and that is a really good thing, but it's gone to far.
To me it's ridiculous to put a racist slant on this story. What about the driver here? Ok, so his customer service skills weren't up to par, but how many times do we hear of grumpy bus drivers? All the time. They have a job to do, and are under a lot of pressure, and lets face it, not everyone greets them with a smile either! Someone makes a complaint they believe is racism, and a company is forced to investigate. They don't find racism, but I would imagine they are put under pressure to act on the complaint in some way, to pacify the person making the complaint. So the bus driver has a blemish on his record, and all because someone played the race card, and probably not because of his customer service skills. Does this help race relations? In my opinion, no. Racism is wrong, but when the race card is thrown about flippantly, it breeds it. This woman put a racist slant on her complaint, just because she is a Muslim and she could. Flipping the racist argument here, I would suggest that if there was any racism at all, it has come from her, not the driver. We have come a long way in this country to stamp out discrimination, and that is a really good thing, but it's gone to far. poolebabe
  • Score: 0

9:41am Sun 23 Jan 11

QueretaroRed says...

I've just returned to the town I was born in (Poole) and lived in for much of my life after a couple of years away.

The other day I boarded a bus in Branksome and requested a single to The Square. As the Driver issued the ticket, I thought it would probably be cheaper to buy a return ticket so I asked him if I could change the ticket for a return, to which request I was advised that as the ticket had been issued, it was too late.

When I asked the chap behind me if he wanted to buy my single The Square, so that I could buy a return to The Square I was advised that I couldn't resell the ticket.

Fair do's, I should have been better prepared. Or should I play the "White Dorset Atheist" card?

I would have argued the point, but I was worried that the Driver would claim I had a problem with Northeners before setting his whippet on to me or striking me with his flat cap or a Black Pudding that he may have had secreted about his person.

As an aside, having lived in a couple of Latin American cities over the last couple of years I can inform readers worried about the "affability" of bus drivers in Dorset that they are equally miserable worldwide.

So, local drivers have reached the accepted worldwide standard... although there are doubtless one or two "strange ones" that come across as cheerful and enjoy their work!

Chau!
I've just returned to the town I was born in (Poole) and lived in for much of my life after a couple of years away. The other day I boarded a bus in Branksome and requested a single to The Square. As the Driver issued the ticket, I thought it would probably be cheaper to buy a return ticket so I asked him if I could change the ticket for a return, to which request I was advised that as the ticket had been issued, it was too late. When I asked the chap behind me if he wanted to buy my single The Square, so that I could buy a return to The Square I was advised that I couldn't resell the ticket. Fair do's, I should have been better prepared. Or should I play the "White Dorset Atheist" card? I would have argued the point, but I was worried that the Driver would claim I had a problem with Northeners before setting his whippet on to me or striking me with his flat cap or a Black Pudding that he may have had secreted about his person. As an aside, having lived in a couple of Latin American cities over the last couple of years I can inform readers worried about the "affability" of bus drivers in Dorset that they are equally miserable worldwide. So, local drivers have reached the accepted worldwide standard... although there are doubtless one or two "strange ones" that come across as cheerful and enjoy their work! Chau! QueretaroRed
  • Score: 0

10:42am Sun 23 Jan 11

fedupwithjobsworths says...

MikeFrench wrote:
Let's 'widen the picture' then. I myself, being white & English have had problems with having the wrong change on a bus. All I could offer was a £5. Got the same hostility but I don't write to the Echo about it - the bus drivers face enough crap as it is - a smile is sometimes all it takes
You should have told the echo that you were discrimated for being a white English Christian .... oh, that wouldn't work would it. You are right in saying bus drivers face enough crap - they do not need this nonsense as well.
[quote][p][bold]MikeFrench[/bold] wrote: Let's 'widen the picture' then. I myself, being white & English have had problems with having the wrong change on a bus. All I could offer was a £5. Got the same hostility but I don't write to the Echo about it - the bus drivers face enough crap as it is - a smile is sometimes all it takes[/p][/quote]You should have told the echo that you were discrimated for being a white English Christian .... oh, that wouldn't work would it. You are right in saying bus drivers face enough crap - they do not need this nonsense as well. fedupwithjobsworths
  • Score: 0

11:21am Sun 23 Jan 11

jobsworthwatch says...

fedupwithjobsworths wrote:
MikeFrench wrote: Let's 'widen the picture' then. I myself, being white & English have had problems with having the wrong change on a bus. All I could offer was a £5. Got the same hostility but I don't write to the Echo about it - the bus drivers face enough crap as it is - a smile is sometimes all it takes
You should have told the echo that you were discrimated for being a white English Christian .... oh, that wouldn't work would it. You are right in saying bus drivers face enough crap - they do not need this nonsense as well.
A simple solution here may be to have faith buses, we have faith schools so why not faith buses. So may be here the driver would have simply been dragged out of his cab and subjected to no more than a few lashes, don't think stoning or chopping off a hand or head would have been called for here.
[quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MikeFrench[/bold] wrote: Let's 'widen the picture' then. I myself, being white & English have had problems with having the wrong change on a bus. All I could offer was a £5. Got the same hostility but I don't write to the Echo about it - the bus drivers face enough crap as it is - a smile is sometimes all it takes[/p][/quote]You should have told the echo that you were discrimated for being a white English Christian .... oh, that wouldn't work would it. You are right in saying bus drivers face enough crap - they do not need this nonsense as well.[/p][/quote]A simple solution here may be to have faith buses, we have faith schools so why not faith buses. So may be here the driver would have simply been dragged out of his cab and subjected to no more than a few lashes, don't think stoning or chopping off a hand or head would have been called for here. jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Sun 23 Jan 11

waspy says...

I agree with a lot of the comments had the driver made a specific comment about their religion and it was derogatory then yes, play the hate card but what can you do really?! Prices go up and anyone who has ever had the pleasure of using yellow buses in the past lord knows how many years knows that you can and do get miserable bus drivers. I got on a bus once - it was when they had a revamp of their prices and the driver asked for the fare and I just made a laughy jokey wow that's gone up comment and the driver bit my head off. I just shrugged it off but i'm starting to wonder if it was because I am white??
I agree with a lot of the comments had the driver made a specific comment about their religion and it was derogatory then yes, play the hate card but what can you do really?! Prices go up and anyone who has ever had the pleasure of using yellow buses in the past lord knows how many years knows that you can and do get miserable bus drivers. I got on a bus once - it was when they had a revamp of their prices and the driver asked for the fare and I just made a laughy jokey wow that's gone up comment and the driver bit my head off. I just shrugged it off but i'm starting to wonder if it was because I am white?? waspy
  • Score: 0

4:21pm Sun 23 Jan 11

jobayob says...

So, what happend to the Camel as transport????????
So, what happend to the Camel as transport???????? jobayob
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Sun 23 Jan 11

GAHmusic says...

I drawyour attention to this statement made by then Australian PM John Howard and recently revived by current PM Julia Gillard. I think it'ssums up well how many in the UK, Europe and the western world are feeling
http://find-the-boot
s.blogspot.com/2007/
07/you-tell-them-all
-about-it-john.html
I drawyour attention to this statement made by then Australian PM John Howard and recently revived by current PM Julia Gillard. I think it'ssums up well how many in the UK, Europe and the western world are feeling http://find-the-boot s.blogspot.com/2007/ 07/you-tell-them-all -about-it-john.html GAHmusic
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Sun 23 Jan 11

hillbillys of wareham says...

"""VIVE LA FRANCE""" Thats what i say... If i went to a muslim country with a gorilla mask on and said that i was 16 years old and that my name was Bo Derek,would i be forced to take my mask off or would the authorities take my word for it.Lets all try it when we go on holiday this year.Guarantee you wont get much sun in a 6ft by 6ft room and the room service will be sub standard.Just a shame our weak government havn`t got the B---s to upset the rest of europe like the French have.Its not called racism its called security and protecting our borders.
"""VIVE LA FRANCE""" Thats what i say... If i went to a muslim country with a gorilla mask on and said that i was 16 years old and that my name was Bo Derek,would i be forced to take my mask off or would the authorities take my word for it.Lets all try it when we go on holiday this year.Guarantee you wont get much sun in a 6ft by 6ft room and the room service will be sub standard.Just a shame our weak government havn`t got the B---s to upset the rest of europe like the French have.Its not called racism its called security and protecting our borders. hillbillys of wareham
  • Score: 0

6:41pm Sun 23 Jan 11

Ur-ine Trouble says...

This family are a disgrace. Prices change for all things, all the time. It sounds like the family have come on board the bus, argued with the driver and slowed down the journey for the other travellers. Using the race card is downright diabolical because the driver being annoyed is understandable in the circumstances. It's a joke.

And the mother who cannot speak English should make it a priority to learn our language because it's disrespectful to expect the people in the country you have moved to to make an extra effort when no effort is made in return whatsoever.
This family are a disgrace. Prices change for all things, all the time. It sounds like the family have come on board the bus, argued with the driver and slowed down the journey for the other travellers. Using the race card is downright diabolical because the driver being annoyed is understandable in the circumstances. It's a joke. And the mother who cannot speak English should make it a priority to learn our language because it's disrespectful to expect the people in the country you have moved to to make an extra effort when no effort is made in return whatsoever. Ur-ine Trouble
  • Score: 0

7:21pm Sun 23 Jan 11

AnneA says...

Firstly, I can not believe that the Echo have actually bothered to waste the time in getting someone to get the information and writing this 'story'!
Where's the stories on the bus drivers that get assaulted whilst trying to do their job and provide our town with a service???
Secondly, Yes a lot of the drivers on ALL bus companies are grumpy.. but they have to spend their whole day making sure that they keep to VERY strict timetables, despite customers holding them up or roadworks, etc. Then there is the fact that they spend hours upon hours providing a service to hundreds of people, who can't even be bothered to give a smile or a simple thank you. Half of the time people only talk to them to be rude or complain. I know that I could never do the job and remain happy all day... could you??

And as the race card, because of this... OMG.. some people play on it every time they can. I once had a bus driver try to refuse to let me on because I was 2p short, luckily the kind gentleman behind me gave me it! Can I get a story in the Echo please??

I may be a little biased because my partner is a bus driver. But he has come home and told me how he has lifted old ladies on and off of buses because the bus wouldn't lower. Yesterday he let a foreigner on the bus for free as she didn't have any money and had been involved in an accident (the fare he then had to pay out of his own pocket).

If everyone could be a little kinder and politer to bus drivers maybe they would be kinder and politer in return. I would never go into a shop/restaurant etc and not talk to whoever was serving me, or make any eye contact, so why should bus drivers be treated any differently??
Firstly, I can not believe that the Echo have actually bothered to waste the time in getting someone to get the information and writing this 'story'! Where's the stories on the bus drivers that get assaulted whilst trying to do their job and provide our town with a service??? Secondly, Yes a lot of the drivers on ALL bus companies are grumpy.. but they have to spend their whole day making sure that they keep to VERY strict timetables, despite customers holding them up or roadworks, etc. Then there is the fact that they spend hours upon hours providing a service to hundreds of people, who can't even be bothered to give a smile or a simple thank you. Half of the time people only talk to them to be rude or complain. I know that I could never do the job and remain happy all day... could you?? And as the race card, because of this... OMG.. some people play on it every time they can. I once had a bus driver try to refuse to let me on because I was 2p short, luckily the kind gentleman behind me gave me it! Can I get a story in the Echo please?? I may be a little biased because my partner is a bus driver. But he has come home and told me how he has lifted old ladies on and off of buses because the bus wouldn't lower. Yesterday he let a foreigner on the bus for free as she didn't have any money and had been involved in an accident (the fare he then had to pay out of his own pocket). If everyone could be a little kinder and politer to bus drivers maybe they would be kinder and politer in return. I would never go into a shop/restaurant etc and not talk to whoever was serving me, or make any eye contact, so why should bus drivers be treated any differently?? AnneA
  • Score: 0

12:56am Mon 24 Jan 11

Skyrah says...

I guess we should all be grateful that this lady takes the bus - could you imagine the expensive investigations and commissioned reports when she complained about racist road signs? The signage should all be in Arabic, Punjabi, Hindi, Polish to name just a few!

The government must put a stop to the racist practice of English road signs! I will happily run a few workshops and cobble together some meaningless reports for a mere 2 million quid!

Meanwhile, all non English speakers form a queue for your compensation cheques for the insult and humiliation you've had to suffer from service providers and highways agencies who refuse to speak to you in your own language!
I guess we should all be grateful that this lady takes the bus - could you imagine the expensive investigations and commissioned reports when she complained about racist road signs? The signage should all be in Arabic, Punjabi, Hindi, Polish to name just a few! The government must put a stop to the racist practice of English road signs! I will happily run a few workshops and cobble together some meaningless reports for a mere 2 million quid! Meanwhile, all non English speakers form a queue for your compensation cheques for the insult and humiliation you've had to suffer from service providers and highways agencies who refuse to speak to you in your own language! Skyrah
  • Score: 0

7:49am Mon 24 Jan 11

poolebabe says...

Re reading the story, and reading that this family said they felt they were "victims of hate crime" is disgraceful. This is despite the driver being cleared of all allegations of racism. Just those four words in that context, show how poor their grasp of racism and hate crime is. People like this, make it difficult for others genuinely suffering racial abuse, to be taken seriously.
Re reading the story, and reading that this family said they felt they were "victims of hate crime" is disgraceful. This is despite the driver being cleared of all allegations of racism. Just those four words in that context, show how poor their grasp of racism and hate crime is. People like this, make it difficult for others genuinely suffering racial abuse, to be taken seriously. poolebabe
  • Score: 0

10:21am Mon 24 Jan 11

Frank2010 says...

I suggest that the woman who cannot speak English ought to learn our language if she wants to live here. Also how does she earn an income if she cannot speak the language.
I wonder if we made a fuss in a Muslim state that it would ever reach the headlines of a local newspaper??? I think not.
It is obvious that this family are playing the 'race' card and with the do gooders encouraging them to do so
I suggest that the woman who cannot speak English ought to learn our language if she wants to live here. Also how does she earn an income if she cannot speak the language. I wonder if we made a fuss in a Muslim state that it would ever reach the headlines of a local newspaper??? I think not. It is obvious that this family are playing the 'race' card and with the do gooders encouraging them to do so Frank2010
  • Score: 0

11:10am Mon 24 Jan 11

charmy says...

I agree with most of the comments, they tried to get a cheaper ticket, not happy so pulled the "race card", i feel sorry for the driver, I drive so dont usually use buses, but I have seen them stop at a bus stop as someone was running for the bus, seen them help someone of with their shopping, they mostly thank me for letting them out. I would majority of them are very helpful, but you will always get someone who is having a bad day. He had deadlines to meet how many times do people moan that the buses arrive altogether, and why should everyone's journey be held up because these passengers were disputing the price of a ticket!
I agree with most of the comments, they tried to get a cheaper ticket, not happy so pulled the "race card", i feel sorry for the driver, I drive so dont usually use buses, but I have seen them stop at a bus stop as someone was running for the bus, seen them help someone of with their shopping, they mostly thank me for letting them out. I would majority of them are very helpful, but you will always get someone who is having a bad day. He had deadlines to meet how many times do people moan that the buses arrive altogether, and why should everyone's journey be held up because these passengers were disputing the price of a ticket! charmy
  • Score: 0

11:38am Mon 24 Jan 11

Marcus James says...

I don’t think this family is playing the race card.
I think this is just another poorly written article by the Echo that doesn’t actually investigate the story.
The family have tried to board a bus, they have then queried the cost, as for whatever reason it was not what they thought it was going to be?? It had gone up by £2 compared to the week before. (Reporter did you Bournemouth Buses why?)

In reply the driver has - “turned the engine off and he said ‘Let’s make these people wait and be later than they are’

The driver obviously a highly educated person and well trained in customer care?

As for the posters here saying F-off back home and learn to speak English etc etc

Are we slightly narrow minded perhaps??

I take it that us “Brits” that live in Spain, France, Dubai, Thailand etc all learn the local language fluently and don’t dare say to bus drivers that we cant speak their native language???

Personally I can well see why this family may have felt victimised in some way, was it an incident that was triggered by their religion or colour of their skin, I guess we will never know. Perhaps just ask how you would feel if it happened to your wife or children in a foreign country.
I don’t think this family is playing the race card. I think this is just another poorly written article by the Echo that doesn’t actually investigate the story. The family have tried to board a bus, they have then queried the cost, as for whatever reason it was not what they thought it was going to be?? It had gone up by £2 compared to the week before. (Reporter did you Bournemouth Buses why?) In reply the driver has - “turned the engine off and he said ‘Let’s make these people wait and be later than they are’ The driver obviously a highly educated person and well trained in customer care? As for the posters here saying F-off back home and learn to speak English etc etc Are we slightly narrow minded perhaps?? I take it that us “Brits” that live in Spain, France, Dubai, Thailand etc all learn the local language fluently and don’t dare say to bus drivers that we cant speak their native language??? Personally I can well see why this family may have felt victimised in some way, was it an incident that was triggered by their religion or colour of their skin, I guess we will never know. Perhaps just ask how you would feel if it happened to your wife or children in a foreign country. Marcus James
  • Score: 0

12:10pm Mon 24 Jan 11

grimley fiendish says...

The daughter said that the driver didn't do this to anyone else ... I can't really see a queue of people all haggling with the driver trying to pay less than the fare.

This is just typical of! I don't get what I want so I will pull the race card. They seem to think that they can do what they want and pay what they want and if things don't go their way, then it's the old and trusty race card.

I have friends in London who have told me and I have seen it myself when visiting that people are so afraid of upsetting muslims for fear of the race card being pulled that muslims have all the rights and get everything they want.

If I got onto a bus and tried to haggle over the fare, I and everyone else (including muslims) would deserve to be told to pay up or get off the bus.
The daughter said that the driver didn't do this to anyone else ... I can't really see a queue of people all haggling with the driver trying to pay less than the fare. This is just typical of! I don't get what I want so I will pull the race card. They seem to think that they can do what they want and pay what they want and if things don't go their way, then it's the old and trusty race card. I have friends in London who have told me and I have seen it myself when visiting that people are so afraid of upsetting muslims for fear of the race card being pulled that muslims have all the rights and get everything they want. If I got onto a bus and tried to haggle over the fare, I and everyone else (including muslims) would deserve to be told to pay up or get off the bus. grimley fiendish
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Mon 24 Jan 11

poolebabe says...

Marcus James wrote:
I don’t think this family is playing the race card. I think this is just another poorly written article by the Echo that doesn’t actually investigate the story. The family have tried to board a bus, they have then queried the cost, as for whatever reason it was not what they thought it was going to be?? It had gone up by £2 compared to the week before. (Reporter did you Bournemouth Buses why?) In reply the driver has - “turned the engine off and he said ‘Let’s make these people wait and be later than they are’ The driver obviously a highly educated person and well trained in customer care? As for the posters here saying F-off back home and learn to speak English etc etc Are we slightly narrow minded perhaps?? I take it that us “Brits” that live in Spain, France, Dubai, Thailand etc all learn the local language fluently and don’t dare say to bus drivers that we cant speak their native language??? Personally I can well see why this family may have felt victimised in some way, was it an incident that was triggered by their religion or colour of their skin, I guess we will never know. Perhaps just ask how you would feel if it happened to your wife or children in a foreign country.
You make some valid points, but I disagree that there is anything in this story to suggest this was a race or religious issue, with perhaps the main point, that on investigation, no evidence of racism was found. As for going abroad, and how would I feel. I have been abroad and suffered poor customer service, but I just wouldn't assume that had anything to do with me being foreign for one second! I have respect for the country I visit, by respecting their culture and manner may be different, and embracing it! That's kind of the point of going abroad isn't it? And whilst I may not be fluent in their language or laws, I would make sure I knew how to say please and thank you, and most importantly, smile. That way, if I come across a horrible person, that is their problem, not mine! Where ever you go, in all walks of life, there will be nice people, horrid ones and everything in between. That's not about colour or religion, that is mankind!
[quote][p][bold]Marcus James[/bold] wrote: I don’t think this family is playing the race card. I think this is just another poorly written article by the Echo that doesn’t actually investigate the story. The family have tried to board a bus, they have then queried the cost, as for whatever reason it was not what they thought it was going to be?? It had gone up by £2 compared to the week before. (Reporter did you Bournemouth Buses why?) In reply the driver has - “turned the engine off and he said ‘Let’s make these people wait and be later than they are’ The driver obviously a highly educated person and well trained in customer care? As for the posters here saying F-off back home and learn to speak English etc etc Are we slightly narrow minded perhaps?? I take it that us “Brits” that live in Spain, France, Dubai, Thailand etc all learn the local language fluently and don’t dare say to bus drivers that we cant speak their native language??? Personally I can well see why this family may have felt victimised in some way, was it an incident that was triggered by their religion or colour of their skin, I guess we will never know. Perhaps just ask how you would feel if it happened to your wife or children in a foreign country.[/p][/quote]You make some valid points, but I disagree that there is anything in this story to suggest this was a race or religious issue, with perhaps the main point, that on investigation, no evidence of racism was found. As for going abroad, and how would I feel. I have been abroad and suffered poor customer service, but I just wouldn't assume that had anything to do with me being foreign for one second! I have respect for the country I visit, by respecting their culture and manner may be different, and embracing it! That's kind of the point of going abroad isn't it? And whilst I may not be fluent in their language or laws, I would make sure I knew how to say please and thank you, and most importantly, smile. That way, if I come across a horrible person, that is their problem, not mine! Where ever you go, in all walks of life, there will be nice people, horrid ones and everything in between. That's not about colour or religion, that is mankind! poolebabe
  • Score: 0

8:08pm Tue 25 Jan 11

WibbleFishBananna says...

I have just read some of the comments about miserable bus drivers. OK everyone has a bad day but these drivers are employed by the bus company to provide the public with the service of public transport and we pay for that service, they chose to do that job no one forced them to do it, so should they not be professional and be polite and courteous.
My wife was watching Mary Porta - Secret shopper or something and as I walked into a well known chemist with and annoying advert at Castlepoint, it made me think of the program when 3 assistants were more interested in gassing rather than doing what they are paid for and that is their job.
Maybe it is time that companies took this onboard, I don't want overzealous people blowing sunshine up my backside, but polite, courteous staff who do not blank you because they would rather talk about their Friday night out. After all plenty of people out of work, I am sure they could find some out there ;)
I have just read some of the comments about miserable bus drivers. OK everyone has a bad day but these drivers are employed by the bus company to provide the public with the service of public transport and we pay for that service, they chose to do that job no one forced them to do it, so should they not be professional and be polite and courteous. My wife was watching Mary Porta - Secret shopper or something and as I walked into a well known chemist with and annoying advert at Castlepoint, it made me think of the program when 3 assistants were more interested in gassing rather than doing what they are paid for and that is their job. Maybe it is time that companies took this onboard, I don't want overzealous people blowing sunshine up my backside, but polite, courteous staff who do not blank you because they would rather talk about their Friday night out. After all plenty of people out of work, I am sure they could find some out there ;) WibbleFishBananna
  • Score: 0

12:55am Wed 26 Jan 11

sickofcrap says...

I am SICK TO DEATH OF FOREIGNERS OF ANY RACE / RELIGION DESECRATING MY TOWN.
.
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO HOME and TAKE YOUR RUBBISH and TAKEAWAYS WITH YOU.
.
WHO LET THEM IN ?
.
I am SICK TO DEATH OF FOREIGNERS OF ANY RACE / RELIGION DESECRATING MY TOWN. . IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO HOME and TAKE YOUR RUBBISH and TAKEAWAYS WITH YOU. . WHO LET THEM IN ? . sickofcrap
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Wed 26 Jan 11

986532 says...

Firstly, a big round of applause to all the above people for relaying the same remarks as most racists have been known to speak for the last century…….”lea
rn English” ……”who let them in”..”road signs should be in another language”….yes yes yes! A big pat on the back to you all.
It seems its not the bus driver that is ignorant in Bournemouth. The Town is gull of ignorant, uneducated people who probably don’t even have 9 gcses between the lot of you!
What does the fact that this lady can’t speak English, or how she got into this country make a slight bit of difference to the kind of customer service she is entitled to receive? Are you saying because she cant speak english, she deserved to get hostile and aggravated behaviour from the driver? The issue isn’t about the fare ..Its about how the matter was dealt with. 9 out of 10 customers on the bus will probably ask about bus fare and expect to get an answer from the bus driver without him having a hissy fit about it? I mean there are people who travel on the bus who are hard of hearing and need things said to them over and over again..or people who get on the bus with pushchairs or wheelchairs and no doubt it will take longer to get on….do all these instances mean that the bus driver can get irate at them?
The article is about “hate crime” which refers to acts/behaviour of hatred of any kind towards an individual or parties due to their particular individual circumstance…which could mean a number of things. It may not have been an act of racism because the bus driver probably didn’t have a problem with the colour of the family’s skin but he certainly had an issue about something, whether that was the fact that the lady couldn’t speak English or she dressed different? And therefore it does make it an act of “hate crime”.
This family have every right to speak out and let their story be known. Some of you have said that if the lady didn’t like the service then she shouldn’t travel on the bus? More like, if you cant provide customers with information you are there to provide them with in a professional and adequate manner then you should be in a job that requires no face to face contact with customer! Like in a factory packing or something where no one will care if you have aggravated behaviour or not, so lon as long as the goods get packed! If you are going to be in a role that requires interaction with customers then you need to adhere to the professional code of conduct regardless of how hard your day has been or how many times you get the same query asked.
I think some of you also need to be told that coloured people can be biritsh citizens! This gives the same rights as anyone else residing in this country.
It’s a disgrace that in an upcoming town like Bournemouth, there are so many racists and bigots hiding behind closed doors.
Firstly, a big round of applause to all the above people for relaying the same remarks as most racists have been known to speak for the last century…….”lea rn English” ……”who let them in”..”road signs should be in another language”….yes yes yes! A big pat on the back to you all. It seems its not the bus driver that is ignorant in Bournemouth. The Town is gull of ignorant, uneducated people who probably don’t even have 9 gcses between the lot of you! What does the fact that this lady can’t speak English, or how she got into this country make a slight bit of difference to the kind of customer service she is entitled to receive? Are you saying because she cant speak english, she deserved to get hostile and aggravated behaviour from the driver? The issue isn’t about the fare ..Its about how the matter was dealt with. 9 out of 10 customers on the bus will probably ask about bus fare and expect to get an answer from the bus driver without him having a hissy fit about it? I mean there are people who travel on the bus who are hard of hearing and need things said to them over and over again..or people who get on the bus with pushchairs or wheelchairs and no doubt it will take longer to get on….do all these instances mean that the bus driver can get irate at them? The article is about “hate crime” which refers to acts/behaviour of hatred of any kind towards an individual or parties due to their particular individual circumstance…which could mean a number of things. It may not have been an act of racism because the bus driver probably didn’t have a problem with the colour of the family’s skin but he certainly had an issue about something, whether that was the fact that the lady couldn’t speak English or she dressed different? And therefore it does make it an act of “hate crime”. This family have every right to speak out and let their story be known. Some of you have said that if the lady didn’t like the service then she shouldn’t travel on the bus? More like, if you cant provide customers with information you are there to provide them with in a professional and adequate manner then you should be in a job that requires no face to face contact with customer! Like in a factory packing or something where no one will care if you have aggravated behaviour or not, so lon as long as the goods get packed! If you are going to be in a role that requires interaction with customers then you need to adhere to the professional code of conduct regardless of how hard your day has been or how many times you get the same query asked. I think some of you also need to be told that coloured people can be biritsh citizens! This gives the same rights as anyone else residing in this country. It’s a disgrace that in an upcoming town like Bournemouth, there are so many racists and bigots hiding behind closed doors. 986532
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Wed 26 Jan 11

theNerve says...

Don't you just hate bus drivers? they wait till your starting to pass them,they know your there cos they've looked in the mirrors, then they pull out, with no indicators,and all attitude, like your in the wrong! and top top it all is some half baked sticker on the back end of the bus saying that the Law says are entitled to do so................
Don't you just hate bus drivers? they wait till your starting to pass them,they know your there cos they've looked in the mirrors, then they pull out, with no indicators,and all attitude, like your in the wrong! and top top it all is some half baked sticker on the back end of the bus saying that the Law says are entitled to do so................ theNerve
  • Score: 0

3:13pm Wed 26 Jan 11

986532 says...

yes its horrible when bus drivers do that isnt it? but no doubt they do that to every car that drives past? right? so they dont single out a particular car? because if they did single out particular cars or particluar drivers then that doesnt make it just the nature of general bus drivers..does it? it means that have something against that particular dirver or vehicle....starting to notice the diffrence now are we between general bus driver attittude and isolated incidents of aggrevated behaviour? would it be acceptable if the driver got out of his bus to get his point across? the law is completely different to what is acceptable code of conduct whilst you are in a job!
yes its horrible when bus drivers do that isnt it? but no doubt they do that to every car that drives past? right? so they dont single out a particular car? because if they did single out particular cars or particluar drivers then that doesnt make it just the nature of general bus drivers..does it? it means that have something against that particular dirver or vehicle....starting to notice the diffrence now are we between general bus driver attittude and isolated incidents of aggrevated behaviour? would it be acceptable if the driver got out of his bus to get his point across? the law is completely different to what is acceptable code of conduct whilst you are in a job! 986532
  • Score: 0

7:37pm Wed 26 Jan 11

the-devils-advocate says...

Lets focus on the issue here - an allegation of a religious slur. I contend that all religion is bad because of its innate intolerance, despite what some do-gooders say. QED!
If people want to follow an archaic superstition (and I include ALL religions here) that's fine by me but it should be kept out of public life and certainly off the buses.
I trust this bus driver will receive a public exoneration from this reverse discrimination and the complainants be made to understand that this is England, not some fly-blown bazaar!
And just for the record, I wouldn't travel on a bus if you paid me!
Lets focus on the issue here - an allegation of a religious slur. I contend that all religion is bad because of its innate intolerance, despite what some do-gooders say. QED! If people want to follow an archaic superstition (and I include ALL religions here) that's fine by me but it should be kept out of public life and certainly off the buses. I trust this bus driver will receive a public exoneration from this reverse discrimination and the complainants be made to understand that this is England, not some fly-blown bazaar! And just for the record, I wouldn't travel on a bus if you paid me! the-devils-advocate
  • Score: 0

9:52pm Wed 26 Jan 11

poolebabe says...

986532 wrote:
Firstly, a big round of applause to all the above people for relaying the same remarks as most racists have been known to speak for the last century…….”lea rn English” ……”who let them in”..”road signs should be in another language”….yes yes yes! A big pat on the back to you all. It seems its not the bus driver that is ignorant in Bournemouth. The Town is gull of ignorant, uneducated people who probably don’t even have 9 gcses between the lot of you! What does the fact that this lady can’t speak English, or how she got into this country make a slight bit of difference to the kind of customer service she is entitled to receive? Are you saying because she cant speak english, she deserved to get hostile and aggravated behaviour from the driver? The issue isn’t about the fare ..Its about how the matter was dealt with. 9 out of 10 customers on the bus will probably ask about bus fare and expect to get an answer from the bus driver without him having a hissy fit about it? I mean there are people who travel on the bus who are hard of hearing and need things said to them over and over again..or people who get on the bus with pushchairs or wheelchairs and no doubt it will take longer to get on….do all these instances mean that the bus driver can get irate at them? The article is about “hate crime” which refers to acts/behaviour of hatred of any kind towards an individual or parties due to their particular individual circumstance…which could mean a number of things. It may not have been an act of racism because the bus driver probably didn’t have a problem with the colour of the family’s skin but he certainly had an issue about something, whether that was the fact that the lady couldn’t speak English or she dressed different? And therefore it does make it an act of “hate crime”. This family have every right to speak out and let their story be known. Some of you have said that if the lady didn’t like the service then she shouldn’t travel on the bus? More like, if you cant provide customers with information you are there to provide them with in a professional and adequate manner then you should be in a job that requires no face to face contact with customer! Like in a factory packing or something where no one will care if you have aggravated behaviour or not, so lon as long as the goods get packed! If you are going to be in a role that requires interaction with customers then you need to adhere to the professional code of conduct regardless of how hard your day has been or how many times you get the same query asked. I think some of you also need to be told that coloured people can be biritsh citizens! This gives the same rights as anyone else residing in this country. It’s a disgrace that in an upcoming town like Bournemouth, there are so many racists and bigots hiding behind closed doors.
"Coloured people" That is possibly one of THE most racist things anyone can say!! Laughable from someone who "claims" to support this cause, by berating the driver! I wonder how you will feel, when someone classes YOU as a racist, for calling someone "Coloured"? Ignorance is bliss eh? There is a vast difference between poor customer service, and racism in this case. If the driver had said "You are not welcome, you are obviously a Muslim" THAT would be racism. The bus driver was CLEARED of racism, there wasn't any, but as usual, there are some people on here that still try to make someone guilty, ever if they aren't! *mega face palm*
[quote][p][bold]986532[/bold] wrote: Firstly, a big round of applause to all the above people for relaying the same remarks as most racists have been known to speak for the last century…….”lea rn English” ……”who let them in”..”road signs should be in another language”….yes yes yes! A big pat on the back to you all. It seems its not the bus driver that is ignorant in Bournemouth. The Town is gull of ignorant, uneducated people who probably don’t even have 9 gcses between the lot of you! What does the fact that this lady can’t speak English, or how she got into this country make a slight bit of difference to the kind of customer service she is entitled to receive? Are you saying because she cant speak english, she deserved to get hostile and aggravated behaviour from the driver? The issue isn’t about the fare ..Its about how the matter was dealt with. 9 out of 10 customers on the bus will probably ask about bus fare and expect to get an answer from the bus driver without him having a hissy fit about it? I mean there are people who travel on the bus who are hard of hearing and need things said to them over and over again..or people who get on the bus with pushchairs or wheelchairs and no doubt it will take longer to get on….do all these instances mean that the bus driver can get irate at them? The article is about “hate crime” which refers to acts/behaviour of hatred of any kind towards an individual or parties due to their particular individual circumstance…which could mean a number of things. It may not have been an act of racism because the bus driver probably didn’t have a problem with the colour of the family’s skin but he certainly had an issue about something, whether that was the fact that the lady couldn’t speak English or she dressed different? And therefore it does make it an act of “hate crime”. This family have every right to speak out and let their story be known. Some of you have said that if the lady didn’t like the service then she shouldn’t travel on the bus? More like, if you cant provide customers with information you are there to provide them with in a professional and adequate manner then you should be in a job that requires no face to face contact with customer! Like in a factory packing or something where no one will care if you have aggravated behaviour or not, so lon as long as the goods get packed! If you are going to be in a role that requires interaction with customers then you need to adhere to the professional code of conduct regardless of how hard your day has been or how many times you get the same query asked. I think some of you also need to be told that coloured people can be biritsh citizens! This gives the same rights as anyone else residing in this country. It’s a disgrace that in an upcoming town like Bournemouth, there are so many racists and bigots hiding behind closed doors.[/p][/quote]"Coloured people" That is possibly one of THE most racist things anyone can say!! Laughable from someone who "claims" to support this cause, by berating the driver! I wonder how you will feel, when someone classes YOU as a racist, for calling someone "Coloured"? Ignorance is bliss eh? There is a vast difference between poor customer service, and racism in this case. If the driver had said "You are not welcome, you are obviously a Muslim" THAT would be racism. The bus driver was CLEARED of racism, there wasn't any, but as usual, there are some people on here that still try to make someone guilty, ever if they aren't! *mega face palm* poolebabe
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree