Barclays Bank in Westbourne bricked up in protest

Bournemouth Echo: BLOCKBUSTERS: The Recessionairs BLOCKBUSTERS: The Recessionairs

ANGRY campaigners bricked up the front door of a Bournemouth bank on Sunday in protest at the banking industry’s attitude towards customers and businesses.

Watched by a group of cheering onlookers, and with passing motorists sounding their horns in support, the three local men stacked concrete bricks in front of the entrance to Barclays in Westbourne.

The men, who call themselves the Recessionairs, said they picked Barclays, Westbourne, at random and their protest is aimed at the entire industry.

The two property developers and one pensioner all said they had had enough with banks refusing to lend to businesses, calling in overdrafts and paying punitive interest rates on savings while charging higher rates on loans.

Bournemouth developer Cameron Hope, 59, who organised the protest said: “The situation has been bad for 18 months but it’s getting worse every single week.

“The bankers will still be getting their bonuses but we’re getting nothing, except for cripplingly high charges. Enough is enough.”

He claimed banks had refused him money for new developments and had tried to charge him a £7,000 fee when he asked to borrow £40,000 on a property he owns.

Friend Les Dawson, 66, said: “I wanted to support him because the attitude of the banks has a massive effect on my retirement nest egg. I’m getting no interest on my money and at this rate I’m going to have to keep working until I’m 80.

“Somebody’s got to say something. We’re all too apathetic in this country, we need to be a bit more like France.

“We’re not here for a jape, we’re here to bring a serious problem to people’s attention.”

And Charlie Townsend, 49, a developer from Poole, said: “Everybody I’ve spoken to agrees with us, the situation is now beyond a joke. Politicians have talked tough but nothing has changed. In fact it’s worse. We own these banks but they can still charge £30 for a letter. It’s madness.”

After barricading the door, the three men hung placards saying: “Robbed by the banks we own”, “Now the banks are lending even less”, “Halifax charged £500 for a £24 debt” and “Make the banks lend”.

Mr Hope said: “These are all headlines from national papers. Everybody knows the situation is crazy but nobody’s doing anything.”

Staff and customers today will notice no difference at the bank.

Shortly after the three men completed bricking up the door, two police officers attended and asked them to remove their protest.

The British Bankers’ Association has recently insisted its members were doing their best to help small firms.

A spokesperson said: “The UK’s banks have established a taskforce to report to the government on exactly this issue – addressing how banks can further help small businesses through the recovery.

“We absolutely agree with the government that small businesses are vital to securing the economic recovery and have committed to offering every assistance to viable businesses.”

Comments (60)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:52am Mon 27 Sep 10

Mediclogan5 says...

Good on you guys, shame you had to take it down though, and yes the Banks are absolute thieves with a mandate to get rich on the backs of the poor. I whole heartedly support you.
Good on you guys, shame you had to take it down though, and yes the Banks are absolute thieves with a mandate to get rich on the backs of the poor. I whole heartedly support you. Mediclogan5

9:14am Mon 27 Sep 10

free wessex says...

Brilliant... by the way Public Demo against Tory West Dorset District Councils £16M Charles St development 2.00pm Tues 28th County Hall Dorchester l
Brilliant... by the way Public Demo against Tory West Dorset District Councils £16M Charles St development 2.00pm Tues 28th County Hall Dorchester l free wessex

9:16am Mon 27 Sep 10

Upkeep says...

So this is not a case of the "Developers" throwing their toys out of the pram because the good times are over then ?
So this is not a case of the "Developers" throwing their toys out of the pram because the good times are over then ? Upkeep

9:17am Mon 27 Sep 10

rainbowkisses says...

"Politicians have talked tough but nothing has changed."------ This reminds me of our so called leader of the Council. ------"The UK’s banks have established a taskforce to report to the government on exactly this issue "----- now that definately sounds like our so called leader-- always holding meetings. Nothing gets done at those meetings, but at least he can put on his blogs that they are taking place. God help this town if an emergency happens with him in charge. We would all be neck deep in it while he holds meetings!!--- While I agree with these lads, unfortunately bankers are a thick skinned lot and will take no notice of these protests. As for the Politicians, there are no national elections due any time soon, so equally they won't give a monkeys if the banks rip their customers off or not. They only care when they need our votes. That's when they will make all sorts of promises about the banks. Our so called leader, and his cronies, will be doing the same thing next year.
"Politicians have talked tough but nothing has changed."------ This reminds me of our so called leader of the Council. ------"The UK’s banks have established a taskforce to report to the government on exactly this issue "----- now that definately sounds like our so called leader-- always holding meetings. Nothing gets done at those meetings, but at least he can put on his blogs that they are taking place. God help this town if an emergency happens with him in charge. We would all be neck deep in it while he holds meetings!!--- While I agree with these lads, unfortunately bankers are a thick skinned lot and will take no notice of these protests. As for the Politicians, there are no national elections due any time soon, so equally they won't give a monkeys if the banks rip their customers off or not. They only care when they need our votes. That's when they will make all sorts of promises about the banks. Our so called leader, and his cronies, will be doing the same thing next year. rainbowkisses

9:19am Mon 27 Sep 10

Wimwam says...

They are no longer trusted bankers, they are legal robbers.
They are no longer trusted bankers, they are legal robbers. Wimwam

9:37am Mon 27 Sep 10

zagzig says...

They should have bricked up the bank with the fat cat bankers inside.
They should have bricked up the bank with the fat cat bankers inside. zagzig

10:04am Mon 27 Sep 10

themindboggles says...

What the diffrence between a bank and a bank robber? One takes from the rich the other takes from the poor.

When we start losing services and the petrol and VAT go up I hope everyone remembers why!
What the diffrence between a bank and a bank robber? One takes from the rich the other takes from the poor. When we start losing services and the petrol and VAT go up I hope everyone remembers why! themindboggles

10:09am Mon 27 Sep 10

fabiostn says...

Sheriff of Nottingham on the inside..Robin hood on the outside.
Sheriff of Nottingham on the inside..Robin hood on the outside. fabiostn

10:12am Mon 27 Sep 10

Fuzzy Grub says...

Good in principle but why pick Barclays at random? They never took a bail out and RBS still owe us billions.
Good in principle but why pick Barclays at random? They never took a bail out and RBS still owe us billions. Fuzzy Grub

10:21am Mon 27 Sep 10

JLC says...

So let's get this right. They are throwing a strop because someone wont give them any money on the promise that they will pay it back?

Did it ever occur to these developers that they are no longer a sound investment? How many houses in the conurbation have been ruined by the divide and conquer attitude shown by these people. How many cheap and nasty flats are sitting unsold and empty, with little or no family housing being built? All so they can maximise the profits. These developers have all but ruined the local area with the incessant building of holiday flats and studio apartments. If they were such a sound investment, why is it they don't have their own £40k to throw into the mix?

Why the hell should they think they have the divine right to be loaned money? It's this quick buck attitude that got the country into the mess it's in, in the first place.
So let's get this right. They are throwing a strop because someone wont give them any money on the promise that they will pay it back? Did it ever occur to these developers that they are no longer a sound investment? How many houses in the conurbation have been ruined by the divide and conquer attitude shown by these people. How many cheap and nasty flats are sitting unsold and empty, with little or no family housing being built? All so they can maximise the profits. These developers have all but ruined the local area with the incessant building of holiday flats and studio apartments. If they were such a sound investment, why is it they don't have their own £40k to throw into the mix? Why the hell should they think they have the divine right to be loaned money? It's this quick buck attitude that got the country into the mess it's in, in the first place. JLC

10:39am Mon 27 Sep 10

Bob49 says...

So the banks won't sell money to them at the price they want, eh ?

.

I could imagine their response to someone kicking up a stink because THEY wouldn't sell their 'redevelopments' at the price the buyer wanted.

.

Absolute hypocricy from a bunch of greedy self publicists.
So the banks won't sell money to them at the price they want, eh ? . I could imagine their response to someone kicking up a stink because THEY wouldn't sell their 'redevelopments' at the price the buyer wanted. . Absolute hypocricy from a bunch of greedy self publicists. Bob49

10:46am Mon 27 Sep 10

Syd Poumen says...

JLC
For once, I agree with every word you say.
I want to bring in Les Dawson's mother-in-law to take on the banks...then we might see some reaction from this profiteering load of bankers!
JLC For once, I agree with every word you say. I want to bring in Les Dawson's mother-in-law to take on the banks...then we might see some reaction from this profiteering load of bankers! Syd Poumen

10:49am Mon 27 Sep 10

themindboggles says...

Yes these greedy developers?
If the banks dont lend money then the money in the system drys up!

Carpenters, Bricklayers , Joiners, Factory workers. We all lose out this has a knock on effect.

The whole money system is a scam. These booms and busts are not natural economic cycles. They are created to fleece us.
Yes these greedy developers? If the banks dont lend money then the money in the system drys up! Carpenters, Bricklayers , Joiners, Factory workers. We all lose out this has a knock on effect. The whole money system is a scam. These booms and busts are not natural economic cycles. They are created to fleece us. themindboggles

10:56am Mon 27 Sep 10

Syd Poumen says...

Are these guys for real? Les Dawson, Cameron Hope and C Townsend...I ask you!
Remember The Big Society, Cameron. We're all in this together.
Are these guys for real? Les Dawson, Cameron Hope and C Townsend...I ask you! Remember The Big Society, Cameron. We're all in this together. Syd Poumen

11:24am Mon 27 Sep 10

Frank2010 says...

Well Done Cam !!!!

Let me know if you want any more recruits as count me in.

I keep saying why doesn't anybody do anything against these big fat banks and at last you have, well done boys !!
Well Done Cam !!!! Let me know if you want any more recruits as count me in. I keep saying why doesn't anybody do anything against these big fat banks and at last you have, well done boys !! Frank2010

11:47am Mon 27 Sep 10

The irate commuter says...

What a bunch of idiots !!

The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments

& theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me !
What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me ! The irate commuter

11:52am Mon 27 Sep 10

carrie54 says...

This story is fine except one thing.Barclays wasn't one of the banks given money from the government,making us all in debt.Mind you they are tight on lenders and do charge bank charges on everything.But prudent I suppose when you think that it was bad debt that started all this.Just remember the debts started because everybody was wanting everything now instead of waiting till tommoro when they could afford it.That goes to all those youngsters who bought three and four bedroom big houses when really they only needed a one or two bedroom flats till they could afford better.
This story is fine except one thing.Barclays wasn't one of the banks given money from the government,making us all in debt.Mind you they are tight on lenders and do charge bank charges on everything.But prudent I suppose when you think that it was bad debt that started all this.Just remember the debts started because everybody was wanting everything now instead of waiting till tommoro when they could afford it.That goes to all those youngsters who bought three and four bedroom big houses when really they only needed a one or two bedroom flats till they could afford better. carrie54

11:53am Mon 27 Sep 10

themindboggles says...

The irate commuter wrote:
What a bunch of idiots !!

The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments

& theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me !
Commuting to the City of London this morning?
[quote][p][bold]The irate commuter[/bold] wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me ![/p][/quote]Commuting to the City of London this morning? themindboggles

12:34pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Friarscliff says...

Let's be honest - the Banks, the government & the Council are all good targets for people who want to moan about something - real or imaginary.
Why pick on Barclays - they were customers of HSBC. Barclays has not received any funding from the government and is not owned by the taxpayer. Neither do the majority of staff receive the large bonuses so trumpeted in the press.
I think that developers have done more to blight the country with their over development of badly designed buildings than ever the banks , even with their present problems. Just look at the vast number of ugly spec. buildings that are either empty, for sale or to let blighting the whole area.
Finally, if you had the money, would you want to lend it to a couple of spec. builders in the present property market?
Let's be honest - the Banks, the government & the Council are all good targets for people who want to moan about something - real or imaginary. Why pick on Barclays - they were customers of HSBC. Barclays has not received any funding from the government and is not owned by the taxpayer. Neither do the majority of staff receive the large bonuses so trumpeted in the press. I think that developers have done more to blight the country with their over development of badly designed buildings than ever the banks , even with their present problems. Just look at the vast number of ugly spec. buildings that are either empty, for sale or to let blighting the whole area. Finally, if you had the money, would you want to lend it to a couple of spec. builders in the present property market? Friarscliff

1:00pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Arjay says...

'BANKERS' ?---- well, my spell checker says it's right, but I still think there's one letter wrong!
'BANKERS' ?---- well, my spell checker says it's right, but I still think there's one letter wrong! Arjay

1:02pm Mon 27 Sep 10

The irate commuter says...

themindboggles wrote:
The irate commuter wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me !
Commuting to the City of London this morning?
Finished reading The Daily Mail this morning & being brain washed, you gullible sheep?

Baaaa !!
[quote][p][bold]themindboggles[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The irate commuter[/bold] wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me ![/p][/quote]Commuting to the City of London this morning?[/p][/quote]Finished reading The Daily Mail this morning & being brain washed, you gullible sheep? Baaaa !! The irate commuter

1:17pm Mon 27 Sep 10

The Liberal says...

carrie54 wrote:
This story is fine except one thing.Barclays wasn't one of the banks given money from the government,making us all in debt.Mind you they are tight on lenders and do charge bank charges on everything.But prudent I suppose when you think that it was bad debt that started all this.Just remember the debts started because everybody was wanting everything now instead of waiting till tommoro when they could afford it.That goes to all those youngsters who bought three and four bedroom big houses when really they only needed a one or two bedroom flats till they could afford better.
Like many banks, Barclays were deeply involved in the US sub-prime lending crisis that caused the collapse or near collapse of other banks, resulting in huge government bailouts and triggering a global recession. Just because Barclays didn't get a bailout from the UK government doesn't make them whiter than white.
[quote][p][bold]carrie54[/bold] wrote: This story is fine except one thing.Barclays wasn't one of the banks given money from the government,making us all in debt.Mind you they are tight on lenders and do charge bank charges on everything.But prudent I suppose when you think that it was bad debt that started all this.Just remember the debts started because everybody was wanting everything now instead of waiting till tommoro when they could afford it.That goes to all those youngsters who bought three and four bedroom big houses when really they only needed a one or two bedroom flats till they could afford better.[/p][/quote]Like many banks, Barclays were deeply involved in the US sub-prime lending crisis that caused the collapse or near collapse of other banks, resulting in huge government bailouts and triggering a global recession. Just because Barclays didn't get a bailout from the UK government doesn't make them whiter than white. The Liberal

1:24pm Mon 27 Sep 10

wolfies abode says...

I have known Cameron for years,in fact i had a small business opposite one he used to own and he is always a man of action rather than just words. He helped me wherever he could to get my business going and can't but admire him for his stand against the banks.Cameron would be the first to realise banks are profit making institutions and with that he has no problem but like the rest of us he's frustrated at that their mistakes added to the fact they still paying huge bonuses after we bailed them out. Then they charge ridiculous fees and interest rates to the few they will lend to,(negative comments please note they would lend to him but wanted to add £7k as an arrangement fee for £40k so it's proven he's credit worthy).It's daylight robbery i should know i was in the financial sector prior to the recession and we in the front line took all the flak from FSA etc while those at the top took no responsibility for their bad practice and in fact still recieved golden handshakes and bonuses....good on you cameron for standing up..!!(please note also.that according to national papers fuller account he had intended to brick up nat west but wasnt possible.it was not personal attack on Barclays)
I have known Cameron for years,in fact i had a small business opposite one he used to own and he is always a man of action rather than just words. He helped me wherever he could to get my business going and can't but admire him for his stand against the banks.Cameron would be the first to realise banks are profit making institutions and with that he has no problem but like the rest of us he's frustrated at that their mistakes added to the fact they still paying huge bonuses after we bailed them out. Then they charge ridiculous fees and interest rates to the few they will lend to,(negative comments please note they would lend to him but wanted to add £7k as an arrangement fee for £40k so it's proven he's credit worthy).It's daylight robbery i should know i was in the financial sector prior to the recession and we in the front line took all the flak from FSA etc while those at the top took no responsibility for their bad practice and in fact still recieved golden handshakes and bonuses....good on you cameron for standing up..!!(please note also.that according to national papers fuller account he had intended to brick up nat west but wasnt possible.it was not personal attack on Barclays) wolfies abode

1:31pm Mon 27 Sep 10

MJD says...

The irate commuter wrote:
themindboggles wrote:
The irate commuter wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me !
Commuting to the City of London this morning?
Finished reading The Daily Mail this morning & being brain washed, you gullible sheep? Baaaa !!
Irate commuter you sound like a professional p**t and Arjay you need a new spell checker. should have been W
[quote][p][bold]The irate commuter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]themindboggles[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The irate commuter[/bold] wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me ![/p][/quote]Commuting to the City of London this morning?[/p][/quote]Finished reading The Daily Mail this morning & being brain washed, you gullible sheep? Baaaa !![/p][/quote]Irate commuter you sound like a professional p**t and Arjay you need a new spell checker. should have been W MJD

1:44pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Bob49 says...

Barclays LEGAL obligation is to their shareholders. They are entitled to lend money at rates they see fit, much as the three stooges (above) would want their 'developments to be sold for the price they decide.

.

We've been through this before with the saddos who clambered about public buildings clad in borrowed fancy dress clothes unable to grasp that the world revolves around them.

.

Perhaps this self appointed trio of super heroes might be better sitting down and trying to grasp how the financial system works rather than engaging in some childish stunt. A stunt that were it to have been inflicted on them by locals fed up with endless 'developments', would I'm sure have received a far different response than the indifference shown by the bank.

.

Perhaps this trio could also tell us how many protests they led over reckless lending by the banks a few years back - or whether they were happy to fill their boots like so mnay others and are now unable to accept that if you push the pendulum too far one way it has a nasty habit of eventually swinging back the other way.
Barclays LEGAL obligation is to their shareholders. They are entitled to lend money at rates they see fit, much as the three stooges (above) would want their 'developments to be sold for the price they decide. . We've been through this before with the saddos who clambered about public buildings clad in borrowed fancy dress clothes unable to grasp that the world revolves around them. . Perhaps this self appointed trio of super heroes might be better sitting down and trying to grasp how the financial system works rather than engaging in some childish stunt. A stunt that were it to have been inflicted on them by locals fed up with endless 'developments', would I'm sure have received a far different response than the indifference shown by the bank. . Perhaps this trio could also tell us how many protests they led over reckless lending by the banks a few years back - or whether they were happy to fill their boots like so mnay others and are now unable to accept that if you push the pendulum too far one way it has a nasty habit of eventually swinging back the other way. Bob49

1:47pm Mon 27 Sep 10

The irate commuter says...

MJD wrote:
The irate commuter wrote:
themindboggles wrote:
The irate commuter wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me !
Commuting to the City of London this morning?
Finished reading The Daily Mail this morning & being brain washed, you gullible sheep? Baaaa !!
Irate commuter you sound like a professional p**t and Arjay you need a new spell checker. should have been W
Baaaa !!
[quote][p][bold]MJD[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The irate commuter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]themindboggles[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The irate commuter[/bold] wrote: What a bunch of idiots !! The banks are there to look after themselves & make a profit......they obviously thought that these 3 attention seeking fools were a bad credit risk & would probably default on repayments & theirs me thinking that the banks were a charity ... silly me ![/p][/quote]Commuting to the City of London this morning?[/p][/quote]Finished reading The Daily Mail this morning & being brain washed, you gullible sheep? Baaaa !![/p][/quote]Irate commuter you sound like a professional p**t and Arjay you need a new spell checker. should have been W[/p][/quote]Baaaa !! The irate commuter

2:28pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Frank2010 says...

Well done you guys. Its a shame that so many people decry what he has done and back the Banks! The banks caused this recession. It is they who we the Tax payer bailed out from going bust. It is they the Government has told to lend money at grass root level to get the Country moving again. If they don't lend to small business's how can they expand and employ more people and therefore kick start the economy? The banks have all the money and keeping it to themselves and pay stupid bonuses.....at our expense.
The same people who back the banks on here are the same people that just agree to anything....petrol prices, Liberalites electricity and tax - all the highest in Europe. These are the who want to blame a thugs upbringing for his behaviour, who agree that children involved in vandalism are 'finding themselves' and that Terrorists have a right to spout there evil tongues.
I have never agreed with the Unions over anything. But now, maybe with them calling for a General Strike might be the time to say enough is enough and lets bring this Country to its senses.
Well done you guys. Its a shame that so many people decry what he has done and back the Banks! The banks caused this recession. It is they who we the Tax payer bailed out from going bust. It is they the Government has told to lend money at grass root level to get the Country moving again. If they don't lend to small business's how can they expand and employ more people and therefore kick start the economy? The banks have all the money and keeping it to themselves and pay stupid bonuses.....at our expense. The same people who back the banks on here are the same people that just agree to anything....petrol prices, Liberalites electricity and tax - all the highest in Europe. These are the who want to blame a thugs upbringing for his behaviour, who agree that children involved in vandalism are 'finding themselves' and that Terrorists have a right to spout there evil tongues. I have never agreed with the Unions over anything. But now, maybe with them calling for a General Strike might be the time to say enough is enough and lets bring this Country to its senses. Frank2010

2:30pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Fuzzy Grub says...

The Liberal wrote:
carrie54 wrote: This story is fine except one thing.Barclays wasn't one of the banks given money from the government,making us all in debt.Mind you they are tight on lenders and do charge bank charges on everything.But prudent I suppose when you think that it was bad debt that started all this.Just remember the debts started because everybody was wanting everything now instead of waiting till tommoro when they could afford it.That goes to all those youngsters who bought three and four bedroom big houses when really they only needed a one or two bedroom flats till they could afford better.
Like many banks, Barclays were deeply involved in the US sub-prime lending crisis that caused the collapse or near collapse of other banks, resulting in huge government bailouts and triggering a global recession. Just because Barclays didn't get a bailout from the UK government doesn't make them whiter than white.
Barclays were involved in US sub-prime mtgs and made well over a billion in losses. The difference is they sorted their own finances out and didn't send us the bill. It's a very big difference in my opinion.
[quote][p][bold]The Liberal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]carrie54[/bold] wrote: This story is fine except one thing.Barclays wasn't one of the banks given money from the government,making us all in debt.Mind you they are tight on lenders and do charge bank charges on everything.But prudent I suppose when you think that it was bad debt that started all this.Just remember the debts started because everybody was wanting everything now instead of waiting till tommoro when they could afford it.That goes to all those youngsters who bought three and four bedroom big houses when really they only needed a one or two bedroom flats till they could afford better.[/p][/quote]Like many banks, Barclays were deeply involved in the US sub-prime lending crisis that caused the collapse or near collapse of other banks, resulting in huge government bailouts and triggering a global recession. Just because Barclays didn't get a bailout from the UK government doesn't make them whiter than white.[/p][/quote]Barclays were involved in US sub-prime mtgs and made well over a billion in losses. The difference is they sorted their own finances out and didn't send us the bill. It's a very big difference in my opinion. Fuzzy Grub

2:41pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Fuzzy Grub says...

Frank2010 wrote:
Well done you guys. Its a shame that so many people decry what he has done and back the Banks! The banks caused this recession. It is they who we the Tax payer bailed out from going bust. It is they the Government has told to lend money at grass root level to get the Country moving again. If they don't lend to small business's how can they expand and employ more people and therefore kick start the economy? The banks have all the money and keeping it to themselves and pay stupid bonuses.....at our expense. The same people who back the banks on here are the same people that just agree to anything....petrol prices, Liberalites electricity and tax - all the highest in Europe. These are the who want to blame a thugs upbringing for his behaviour, who agree that children involved in vandalism are 'finding themselves' and that Terrorists have a right to spout there evil tongues. I have never agreed with the Unions over anything. But now, maybe with them calling for a General Strike might be the time to say enough is enough and lets bring this Country to its senses.
Don't be so niave Frank.
You me and everyone else caused the recession by borrowing too much without knowing when it's going to be paid back.
We became a credit society with store cards, multiple credit cards, overdrafts and ridiculous mortgages all creating a false economy.
We blame the banks for lending this as the cause. Now these guys are moaning because it's harder to get credit. What would you prefer the banks do??
[quote][p][bold]Frank2010[/bold] wrote: Well done you guys. Its a shame that so many people decry what he has done and back the Banks! The banks caused this recession. It is they who we the Tax payer bailed out from going bust. It is they the Government has told to lend money at grass root level to get the Country moving again. If they don't lend to small business's how can they expand and employ more people and therefore kick start the economy? The banks have all the money and keeping it to themselves and pay stupid bonuses.....at our expense. The same people who back the banks on here are the same people that just agree to anything....petrol prices, Liberalites electricity and tax - all the highest in Europe. These are the who want to blame a thugs upbringing for his behaviour, who agree that children involved in vandalism are 'finding themselves' and that Terrorists have a right to spout there evil tongues. I have never agreed with the Unions over anything. But now, maybe with them calling for a General Strike might be the time to say enough is enough and lets bring this Country to its senses.[/p][/quote]Don't be so niave Frank. You me and everyone else caused the recession by borrowing too much without knowing when it's going to be paid back. We became a credit society with store cards, multiple credit cards, overdrafts and ridiculous mortgages all creating a false economy. We blame the banks for lending this as the cause. Now these guys are moaning because it's harder to get credit. What would you prefer the banks do?? Fuzzy Grub

3:07pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Syd Poumen says...

Fuzzy Grub, Bmth/Ldn
I hope that you get a seat next to 'the irate commuter' on your journey home from the City tonight (but not in the cattle /sheep truck, of course). Then, he will be able to remind you that it was Gordon Brown and that nasty Labour Government that caused the recession.
Baaa!!
Fuzzy Grub, Bmth/Ldn I hope that you get a seat next to 'the irate commuter' on your journey home from the City tonight (but not in the cattle /sheep truck, of course). Then, he will be able to remind you that it was Gordon Brown and that nasty Labour Government that caused the recession. Baaa!! Syd Poumen

3:10pm Mon 27 Sep 10

thermaltricty says...

Not all of us in business borrowed up the hilt. As in my case, I spent my hard earned money building a renewable energy business between 1998 and April 2009 which at that time our HSBC overdraft was £20,000 on a turnover of £3/4 million out of Wimborne Ind Estate.
We were contacted in 2008 by AGA/Rayburn the cast iron cooker manufacture to design 6 solar water heating systems for them, so they could meet this year’s new SAP ratings and building codes
The signed agreement for 3 years was worth £3million by 2012.
We approached our bank of 9 years loyalty for a £140,000 trade finance requirement and £100,000 covering invoice factoring.
Some months later after lots of paper work and a new business plan, we were offered the invoice factoring at a cost of £8,500 but refused the £140,000 that allowed us to import our containers of collectors we manufacture in China because we could not give the bank any bricks and mortar. We offered them a charge on my house and a charge over the £200,000 of assets located in the warehouse.
We then requested a Government backed guaranteed loan for £50,000, this was also rejected by our short sighted bank manager who then wrote to me saying we were a credit risk and a speculative business, while another part of the bank kept pushing us to sign up to the invoice factoring
By April even after a higher volume of sales to the private sector I called in the receivers and had the 10 year business wound up, focusing on my export side out of China to the USA and retrenching back to working out of my house.
Eight highly skilled staff lost there job, as was the good name we had as the AGA directors left us to resolve our own problems
Not all of us in business borrowed up the hilt. As in my case, I spent my hard earned money building a renewable energy business between 1998 and April 2009 which at that time our HSBC overdraft was £20,000 on a turnover of £3/4 million out of Wimborne Ind Estate. We were contacted in 2008 by AGA/Rayburn the cast iron cooker manufacture to design 6 solar water heating systems for them, so they could meet this year’s new SAP ratings and building codes The signed agreement for 3 years was worth £3million by 2012. We approached our bank of 9 years loyalty for a £140,000 trade finance requirement and £100,000 covering invoice factoring. Some months later after lots of paper work and a new business plan, we were offered the invoice factoring at a cost of £8,500 but refused the £140,000 that allowed us to import our containers of collectors we manufacture in China because we could not give the bank any bricks and mortar. We offered them a charge on my house and a charge over the £200,000 of assets located in the warehouse. We then requested a Government backed guaranteed loan for £50,000, this was also rejected by our short sighted bank manager who then wrote to me saying we were a credit risk and a speculative business, while another part of the bank kept pushing us to sign up to the invoice factoring By April even after a higher volume of sales to the private sector I called in the receivers and had the 10 year business wound up, focusing on my export side out of China to the USA and retrenching back to working out of my house. Eight highly skilled staff lost there job, as was the good name we had as the AGA directors left us to resolve our own problems thermaltricty

3:36pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Brock_and_Roll says...

The fundamental unfairness of what has happened is that the feckless are being bailed out by the prudent.

Many people borrowed and spent too much in the boom, encouraged by greedy banks and a power hungry government.

Now the bust has arrived, it is the prudent whose savings are attracting sod all interest that are being fleeced to bail out individuals, banks and the nation itself.
Ironically for my sins i am a banker. The (foreign) bank I work for was always very careful and has very long term relationships with its customers. We are a bit cheesed off therefore that we suffered as a result of the recklessness of other banks, and just as worse those reckless banks are still being aggressive in the market, backed by state funds which makes their borrowing costs cheaper than ours!
The fundamental unfairness of what has happened is that the feckless are being bailed out by the prudent. Many people borrowed and spent too much in the boom, encouraged by greedy banks and a power hungry government. Now the bust has arrived, it is the prudent whose savings are attracting sod all interest that are being fleeced to bail out individuals, banks and the nation itself. Ironically for my sins i am a banker. The (foreign) bank I work for was always very careful and has very long term relationships with its customers. We are a bit cheesed off therefore that we suffered as a result of the recklessness of other banks, and just as worse those reckless banks are still being aggressive in the market, backed by state funds which makes their borrowing costs cheaper than ours! Brock_and_Roll

3:40pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Fuzzy Grub says...

Syd Poumen wrote:
Fuzzy Grub, Bmth/Ldn I hope that you get a seat next to 'the irate commuter' on your journey home from the City tonight (but not in the cattle /sheep truck, of course). Then, he will be able to remind you that it was Gordon Brown and that nasty Labour Government that caused the recession. Baaa!!
Lol afraid not. Rent a small flat here during the week. Too much to travel everyday.

However I do agree Labour's (Gordon Brown's GDP) over spending deficit is why the country's in such a pickle.

Remember we don't really manufacture or export today. The main advantage we have these days is our geological spot for trading across the world. Too many people are ready to bash the financial sector when it's the only real industry we have left.
[quote][p][bold]Syd Poumen[/bold] wrote: Fuzzy Grub, Bmth/Ldn I hope that you get a seat next to 'the irate commuter' on your journey home from the City tonight (but not in the cattle /sheep truck, of course). Then, he will be able to remind you that it was Gordon Brown and that nasty Labour Government that caused the recession. Baaa!![/p][/quote]Lol afraid not. Rent a small flat here during the week. Too much to travel everyday. However I do agree Labour's (Gordon Brown's GDP) over spending deficit is why the country's in such a pickle. Remember we don't really manufacture or export today. The main advantage we have these days is our geological spot for trading across the world. Too many people are ready to bash the financial sector when it's the only real industry we have left. Fuzzy Grub

3:57pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Syd Poumen says...

Fuzzy Grub
About that 'geological spot for trading' that you refer to; would that, by any chance, be the g-spot that has brought orgasmic delight to bankers over the last 30 years?!
Fuzzy Grub About that 'geological spot for trading' that you refer to; would that, by any chance, be the g-spot that has brought orgasmic delight to bankers over the last 30 years?! Syd Poumen

4:01pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Bob49 says...

"However I do agree Labour's (Gordon Brown's GDP) over spending deficit is why the country's in such a pickle"

.

Yes, and the shameless git did it in the USA, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, and a host of european countries as well.

.

Thank god there was not control by national governments of the international movement of funds. This way we know it was all caused by Gordon Brown.

.

Odd how those other countries haven't had a go at him yet.
"However I do agree Labour's (Gordon Brown's GDP) over spending deficit is why the country's in such a pickle" . Yes, and the shameless git did it in the USA, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, and a host of european countries as well. . Thank god there was not control by national governments of the international movement of funds. This way we know it was all caused by Gordon Brown. . Odd how those other countries haven't had a go at him yet. Bob49

4:58pm Mon 27 Sep 10

JLC says...

let's get this right. They were up in arms that the banking crisis was allowed to happen do to subprime lending, but now they are hopping mad because the bank wont give every Tom, Dick and Harry a loan without being prudent - and heaven forbid charging.

It's the banks money. If they don't want to loan it to people who are going to throw up another batch of magnolia misery boxes, then why should they. House prices are about to plummet so what bank in their right mind would do this. Are you demanding that they loan out more money in an irresponsible manner? Yes there will be a knock on for tradesmen and further, but if houses were not so hyper inflated (due to the greed of people like this) we wouldn’t have this problem.

Blame Phil and Kirsty, tighten your belts and hold on - cos it's about to get a whole lot worse!
let's get this right. They were up in arms that the banking crisis was allowed to happen do to subprime lending, but now they are hopping mad because the bank wont give every Tom, Dick and Harry a loan without being prudent - and heaven forbid charging. It's the banks money. If they don't want to loan it to people who are going to throw up another batch of magnolia misery boxes, then why should they. House prices are about to plummet so what bank in their right mind would do this. Are you demanding that they loan out more money in an irresponsible manner? Yes there will be a knock on for tradesmen and further, but if houses were not so hyper inflated (due to the greed of people like this) we wouldn’t have this problem. Blame Phil and Kirsty, tighten your belts and hold on - cos it's about to get a whole lot worse! JLC

5:19pm Mon 27 Sep 10

The irate commuter says...

JLC wrote:
let's get this right. They were up in arms that the banking crisis was allowed to happen do to subprime lending, but now they are hopping mad because the bank wont give every Tom, Dick and Harry a loan without being prudent - and heaven forbid charging. It's the banks money. If they don't want to loan it to people who are going to throw up another batch of magnolia misery boxes, then why should they. House prices are about to plummet so what bank in their right mind would do this. Are you demanding that they loan out more money in an irresponsible manner? Yes there will be a knock on for tradesmen and further, but if houses were not so hyper inflated (due to the greed of people like this) we wouldn’t have this problem. Blame Phil and Kirsty, tighten your belts and hold on - cos it's about to get a whole lot worse!
At last !!!

Someone who is not delutional & does does not copy verbatim what they have read in the Daily Mail !!
[quote][p][bold]JLC[/bold] wrote: let's get this right. They were up in arms that the banking crisis was allowed to happen do to subprime lending, but now they are hopping mad because the bank wont give every Tom, Dick and Harry a loan without being prudent - and heaven forbid charging. It's the banks money. If they don't want to loan it to people who are going to throw up another batch of magnolia misery boxes, then why should they. House prices are about to plummet so what bank in their right mind would do this. Are you demanding that they loan out more money in an irresponsible manner? Yes there will be a knock on for tradesmen and further, but if houses were not so hyper inflated (due to the greed of people like this) we wouldn’t have this problem. Blame Phil and Kirsty, tighten your belts and hold on - cos it's about to get a whole lot worse![/p][/quote]At last !!! Someone who is not delutional & does does not copy verbatim what they have read in the Daily Mail !! The irate commuter

5:21pm Mon 27 Sep 10

rook says...

LOL - three prize attention-seeking pratts! You claim the banks are greedy, but if they could make a return from loaning you money they would do! They obviously don't see property development as the gold mine it once was - in fact surely you should have made so much money during the good times you shouldn't need finance?
LOL - three prize attention-seeking pratts! You claim the banks are greedy, but if they could make a return from loaning you money they would do! They obviously don't see property development as the gold mine it once was - in fact surely you should have made so much money during the good times you shouldn't need finance? rook

5:31pm Mon 27 Sep 10

ekimnoslen says...

Well done guys. The French of course have this sort of thing down to a fine art. If the general public feel strongly about something they get out onto the streets, blockade a port or two, use lorries or farm vehicles to block roads etc etc. I don't advocate violence but we need to be more demonstrative in the UK. No point in just going to the pub and moaning about it to your mates. That won't achieve anything.
Well done guys. The French of course have this sort of thing down to a fine art. If the general public feel strongly about something they get out onto the streets, blockade a port or two, use lorries or farm vehicles to block roads etc etc. I don't advocate violence but we need to be more demonstrative in the UK. No point in just going to the pub and moaning about it to your mates. That won't achieve anything. ekimnoslen

5:50pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Building Inspector says...

That is the shoddiest looking brick laying I've seen in a long time.
That is the shoddiest looking brick laying I've seen in a long time. Building Inspector

7:14pm Mon 27 Sep 10

Frank2010 says...

Fuzzy Grub wrote:
Frank2010 wrote:
Well done you guys. Its a shame that so many people decry what he has done and back the Banks! The banks caused this recession. It is they who we the Tax payer bailed out from going bust. It is they the Government has told to lend money at grass root level to get the Country moving again. If they don't lend to small business's how can they expand and employ more people and therefore kick start the economy? The banks have all the money and keeping it to themselves and pay stupid bonuses.....at our expense. The same people who back the banks on here are the same people that just agree to anything....petrol prices, Liberalites electricity and tax - all the highest in Europe. These are the who want to blame a thugs upbringing for his behaviour, who agree that children involved in vandalism are 'finding themselves' and that Terrorists have a right to spout there evil tongues. I have never agreed with the Unions over anything. But now, maybe with them calling for a General Strike might be the time to say enough is enough and lets bring this Country to its senses.
Don't be so niave Frank.
You me and everyone else caused the recession by borrowing too much without knowing when it's going to be paid back.
We became a credit society with store cards, multiple credit cards, overdrafts and ridiculous mortgages all creating a false economy.
We blame the banks for lending this as the cause. Now these guys are moaning because it's harder to get credit. What would you prefer the banks do??
To start lending again! Without lending the economy is stagnated.
[quote][p][bold]Fuzzy Grub[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Frank2010[/bold] wrote: Well done you guys. Its a shame that so many people decry what he has done and back the Banks! The banks caused this recession. It is they who we the Tax payer bailed out from going bust. It is they the Government has told to lend money at grass root level to get the Country moving again. If they don't lend to small business's how can they expand and employ more people and therefore kick start the economy? The banks have all the money and keeping it to themselves and pay stupid bonuses.....at our expense. The same people who back the banks on here are the same people that just agree to anything....petrol prices, Liberalites electricity and tax - all the highest in Europe. These are the who want to blame a thugs upbringing for his behaviour, who agree that children involved in vandalism are 'finding themselves' and that Terrorists have a right to spout there evil tongues. I have never agreed with the Unions over anything. But now, maybe with them calling for a General Strike might be the time to say enough is enough and lets bring this Country to its senses.[/p][/quote]Don't be so niave Frank. You me and everyone else caused the recession by borrowing too much without knowing when it's going to be paid back. We became a credit society with store cards, multiple credit cards, overdrafts and ridiculous mortgages all creating a false economy. We blame the banks for lending this as the cause. Now these guys are moaning because it's harder to get credit. What would you prefer the banks do??[/p][/quote]To start lending again! Without lending the economy is stagnated. Frank2010

7:24pm Mon 27 Sep 10

MJD says...

Sorry old chap i read it in the Times.
Sorry old chap i read it in the Times. MJD

7:51pm Mon 27 Sep 10

ranger_bob says...

Building Inspector wrote:
That is the shoddiest looking brick laying I've seen in a long time.
I don't know, looks about par for the course for a building job in Bournemouth with the mania for knocking up shoddy flats at sky high prices on any available patch of land.
..
As others have said these guys are throwing their toys out of the pram because they can't have things their own way. It shows what a bunch of halfwits they are by picking one of the few banks not "owned" by the tax payers; get it right next time guys and choose a bank that was actually bailed out.
[quote][p][bold]Building Inspector[/bold] wrote: That is the shoddiest looking brick laying I've seen in a long time.[/p][/quote]I don't know, looks about par for the course for a building job in Bournemouth with the mania for knocking up shoddy flats at sky high prices on any available patch of land. .. As others have said these guys are throwing their toys out of the pram because they can't have things their own way. It shows what a bunch of halfwits they are by picking one of the few banks not "owned" by the tax payers; get it right next time guys and choose a bank that was actually bailed out. ranger_bob

8:29pm Mon 27 Sep 10

joncon says...

must you give free publicity to every group of malcontents? I know your journalists wish they worked on a fleet street daily. But they don't.
must you give free publicity to every group of malcontents? I know your journalists wish they worked on a fleet street daily. But they don't. joncon

9:23pm Mon 27 Sep 10

silkcut says...

Hmmmm..If Cam's the same old soak I think he is then I for one am glad that Barclay's are not lending any of my hard earned deposits to him!! Everything I can remember him being involved in has blown a fortune from what I can recall. Publicity stunts are no substitute for audited accounts unfortunately!....
Hmmmm..If Cam's the same old soak I think he is then I for one am glad that Barclay's are not lending any of my hard earned deposits to him!! Everything I can remember him being involved in has blown a fortune from what I can recall. Publicity stunts are no substitute for audited accounts unfortunately!.... silkcut

11:09pm Mon 27 Sep 10

PigWhistle0709 says...

If memory serves Barclays refused the government (i.e. our) money becuase their were certain conditions attached. I forget what - no new golf clubs (places not implements) for the boys, smaller bonuses - no, couldn't have been that by the look of things with those that did take it - or maybe obliged to lend out said taxpayer spondulicks to the customers...
All the same, it's disappointing to learn the brickies chose Barclays at random when there seem to be plenty of good reasons...
If memory serves Barclays refused the government (i.e. our) money becuase their were certain conditions attached. I forget what - no new golf clubs (places not implements) for the boys, smaller bonuses - no, couldn't have been that by the look of things with those that did take it - or maybe obliged to lend out said taxpayer spondulicks to the customers... All the same, it's disappointing to learn the brickies chose Barclays at random when there seem to be plenty of good reasons... PigWhistle0709

12:08am Tue 28 Sep 10

Skyrah says...

Ok, banks are being a bit shabby at the moment charging high prices for arranging loans and mortgages, but perhaps if they were not being forced into writing off millions of pounds per day due to government ruling? Why should the dishonest who lied about their salary and or ability to pay have all their debts cleared due to 'affordability formulae' when the rest of us pay up every last penny?

Yes there are good and viable businesses being denied loans but there are also many Bournemouth businesses that pay no heed to prudence and common sense and just try to operate with borrowed money! Debt write off for Richard Carrs millions must have put off a few banks!

Banks don't have to lend! End of.
Ok, banks are being a bit shabby at the moment charging high prices for arranging loans and mortgages, but perhaps if they were not being forced into writing off millions of pounds per day due to government ruling? Why should the dishonest who lied about their salary and or ability to pay have all their debts cleared due to 'affordability formulae' when the rest of us pay up every last penny? Yes there are good and viable businesses being denied loans but there are also many Bournemouth businesses that pay no heed to prudence and common sense and just try to operate with borrowed money! Debt write off for Richard Carrs millions must have put off a few banks! Banks don't have to lend! End of. Skyrah

1:26am Tue 28 Sep 10

carrie54 says...

Look bottom line nobody put a gun to anybodies head and said you got to get in debt.Except that is the government.Trouble is most people can't wait till they can afford what they want so they get it the easy way by borrowing.People like those developers take advantage of that fact and make money out of everyone.They are the same as the banks they are moaning about and are nothing but hippocrites
Look bottom line nobody put a gun to anybodies head and said you got to get in debt.Except that is the government.Trouble is most people can't wait till they can afford what they want so they get it the easy way by borrowing.People like those developers take advantage of that fact and make money out of everyone.They are the same as the banks they are moaning about and are nothing but hippocrites carrie54

2:10am Tue 28 Sep 10

butlincat says...

This is what happens after a preorganised preplanned financial collapse,perpetrated by the elite, the ultimate aim being a one world currency as part of the New World Order Bush spoke of in 92 to name one specific example. The financial collapse perhaps didnt turn out as they had hoped, but there is plenty of time left yet, unfortunatly,and it is bad enough, especially in America, where even the gold in Fort Knox has been faked. Gold of course is the backing for a currency. The effects of this has yet to be seen.
This is what happens after a preorganised preplanned financial collapse,perpetrated by the elite, the ultimate aim being a one world currency as part of the New World Order Bush spoke of in 92 to name one specific example. The financial collapse perhaps didnt turn out as they had hoped, but there is plenty of time left yet, unfortunatly,and it is bad enough, especially in America, where even the gold in Fort Knox has been faked. Gold of course is the backing for a currency. The effects of this has yet to be seen. butlincat

6:58am Tue 28 Sep 10

EGHH says...

Folks, remember who bailed the Banks out. The British Tax Payer. The Banks took that money, lined their own pockets and said get stuffed to both the Government and the British Public.
~
The Chancellor told the Telegraph that the Government "will not tolerate" banks "piling the pressure" on SMEs, and said that banks have an "economic obligation" to help the sector. Well George, act on your words.
~
They should all be put under the control of the Chancellor.
Folks, remember who bailed the Banks out. The British Tax Payer. The Banks took that money, lined their own pockets and said get stuffed to both the Government and the British Public. ~ The Chancellor told the Telegraph that the Government "will not tolerate" banks "piling the pressure" on SMEs, and said that banks have an "economic obligation" to help the sector. Well George, act on your words. ~ They should all be put under the control of the Chancellor. EGHH

9:07am Tue 28 Sep 10

themindboggles says...

Yes its our falt the banking system starting lumping good loans with bad loans.

Its our falt because we told our banks to invest in these dodgy investments?

You people blamming us for this is ridiculous!

Yes we are to blame for Americas sub-prime loans?

Wake up people please and realise your being bent over.
Yes its our falt the banking system starting lumping good loans with bad loans. Its our falt because we told our banks to invest in these dodgy investments? You people blamming us for this is ridiculous! Yes we are to blame for Americas sub-prime loans? Wake up people please and realise your being bent over. themindboggles

9:11am Tue 28 Sep 10

fabiostn says...

Building Inspector wrote:
That is the shoddiest looking brick laying I've seen in a long time.
'No Mortgage' between the blocks.
[quote][p][bold]Building Inspector[/bold] wrote: That is the shoddiest looking brick laying I've seen in a long time.[/p][/quote]'No Mortgage' between the blocks. fabiostn

11:45am Tue 28 Sep 10

Skyrah says...

And the Ink Bar reopens today after having 1 million of debts written off!

So why won't banks lend to small businesses again?
And the Ink Bar reopens today after having 1 million of debts written off! So why won't banks lend to small businesses again? Skyrah

1:37pm Tue 28 Sep 10

lennard says...

These men are top class idiots they block up a bank door but not the Bank who refused them the loans though.I would not lend any money to either of them and there bank must of had a good reason as to why they never lent them money anyway.they do not look like Decent businessmen to me.
Jules
These men are top class idiots they block up a bank door but not the Bank who refused them the loans though.I would not lend any money to either of them and there bank must of had a good reason as to why they never lent them money anyway.they do not look like Decent businessmen to me. Jules lennard

2:48pm Tue 28 Sep 10

l'anglais says...

Fuzzy Grub wrote:
Syd Poumen wrote:
Fuzzy Grub, Bmth/Ldn I hope that you get a seat next to 'the irate commuter' on your journey home from the City tonight (but not in the cattle /sheep truck, of course). Then, he will be able to remind you that it was Gordon Brown and that nasty Labour Government that caused the recession. Baaa!!
Lol afraid not. Rent a small flat here during the week. Too much to travel everyday.

However I do agree Labour's (Gordon Brown's GDP) over spending deficit is why the country's in such a pickle.

Remember we don't really manufacture or export today. The main advantage we have these days is our geological spot for trading across the world. Too many people are ready to bash the financial sector when it's the only real industry we have left.
"Geological spot"?
"Its the only real industry left"?
You bankers..........LOL


Spending drives the economy, over spending (encouraged by greedy bankers) over inflates the economy.

The builders & bankers are both morally corrupt.
Why is a property that was valued at £20K in 1980 now worth £250K?
Average wage in 1980 £5K now its £25K. Can you see the disparity Mr Banker & Mr Builder?
Net result= over inflated housing prices
with pensioners (understandably) sitting on unearned equity to enable them to pay for eventual nursing care.
More importantly, the builders & bankers continue to make large amounts of dosh, while the rest of us struggle to make sense of it all.
[quote][p][bold]Fuzzy Grub[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Syd Poumen[/bold] wrote: Fuzzy Grub, Bmth/Ldn I hope that you get a seat next to 'the irate commuter' on your journey home from the City tonight (but not in the cattle /sheep truck, of course). Then, he will be able to remind you that it was Gordon Brown and that nasty Labour Government that caused the recession. Baaa!![/p][/quote]Lol afraid not. Rent a small flat here during the week. Too much to travel everyday. However I do agree Labour's (Gordon Brown's GDP) over spending deficit is why the country's in such a pickle. Remember we don't really manufacture or export today. The main advantage we have these days is our geological spot for trading across the world. Too many people are ready to bash the financial sector when it's the only real industry we have left.[/p][/quote]"Geological spot"? "Its the only real industry left"? You bankers..........LOL Spending drives the economy, over spending (encouraged by greedy bankers) over inflates the economy. The builders & bankers are both morally corrupt. Why is a property that was valued at £20K in 1980 now worth £250K? Average wage in 1980 £5K now its £25K. Can you see the disparity Mr Banker & Mr Builder? Net result= over inflated housing prices with pensioners (understandably) sitting on unearned equity to enable them to pay for eventual nursing care. More importantly, the builders & bankers continue to make large amounts of dosh, while the rest of us struggle to make sense of it all. l'anglais

3:35pm Tue 28 Sep 10

fabiostn says...

lennard wrote:
These men are top class idiots they block up a bank door but not the Bank who refused them the loans though.I would not lend any money to either of them and there bank must of had a good reason as to why they never lent them money anyway.they do not look like Decent businessmen to me. Jules
I wouldn't lend either of them my loose change
[quote][p][bold]lennard[/bold] wrote: These men are top class idiots they block up a bank door but not the Bank who refused them the loans though.I would not lend any money to either of them and there bank must of had a good reason as to why they never lent them money anyway.they do not look like Decent businessmen to me. Jules[/p][/quote]I wouldn't lend either of them my loose change fabiostn

6:31pm Tue 28 Sep 10

Frank2010 says...

Skyrah wrote:
Ok, banks are being a bit shabby at the moment charging high prices for arranging loans and mortgages, but perhaps if they were not being forced into writing off millions of pounds per day due to government ruling? Why should the dishonest who lied about their salary and or ability to pay have all their debts cleared due to 'affordability formulae' when the rest of us pay up every last penny?

Yes there are good and viable businesses being denied loans but there are also many Bournemouth businesses that pay no heed to prudence and common sense and just try to operate with borrowed money! Debt write off for Richard Carrs millions must have put off a few banks!

Banks don't have to lend! End of.
Obviously you are not in business and are one the 'knockers' of businessmen in the town.
Dont forget a lot of us people in business have written off vast sums of money as well, as the banks.
If they do not lend how will building firms start to grow again and employ all the sub contractors who are now out of work? Who will employ all the waiters etc that are out of work as the banks will not lend to food establishments?
The Banks have to lend. End of!
[quote][p][bold]Skyrah[/bold] wrote: Ok, banks are being a bit shabby at the moment charging high prices for arranging loans and mortgages, but perhaps if they were not being forced into writing off millions of pounds per day due to government ruling? Why should the dishonest who lied about their salary and or ability to pay have all their debts cleared due to 'affordability formulae' when the rest of us pay up every last penny? Yes there are good and viable businesses being denied loans but there are also many Bournemouth businesses that pay no heed to prudence and common sense and just try to operate with borrowed money! Debt write off for Richard Carrs millions must have put off a few banks! Banks don't have to lend! End of.[/p][/quote]Obviously you are not in business and are one the 'knockers' of businessmen in the town. Dont forget a lot of us people in business have written off vast sums of money as well, as the banks. If they do not lend how will building firms start to grow again and employ all the sub contractors who are now out of work? Who will employ all the waiters etc that are out of work as the banks will not lend to food establishments? The Banks have to lend. End of! Frank2010

10:30am Wed 29 Sep 10

JLC says...

Poppycock. I am a businessman, and a succesful one at that. If you are a viable investment, then the banks will happily loan money to you. If you are throwing up yet another batch of sub-standard buildings to maximise profit, then they will not.

A savvy businessman puts away enough to ensure that they can re-invest when they need to. They do not rely on the banks loaning them money for every whim they may have. It is a disgusting state of things when someone can put their business into administration one week, and re-open in their wife's name the next. In business you live by the sword, and die by the sword. If the majority of so called businessman in the connurbation cannot stay afloat, then bad bloody luck! They have no divine right to be.

Move fast, make good decisions and cut your coat according to your cloth. The amount of bars and restuarants I see opening, closing and re-opening just to keep a step ahead of the administrators makes me sick. just take a look at the site at the top of the Triangle. It closes every other week, then re-opens with a different name. The same way that the print rooms are going. These people are happy to rip the banks off, but upset when it goes the other way. The rewards in business are huge, but so are the risks. If you're not up to the job, then don’t expect a bank to bail you out. There are plenty of salaried jobs you could be doing instead.
Poppycock. I am a businessman, and a succesful one at that. If you are a viable investment, then the banks will happily loan money to you. If you are throwing up yet another batch of sub-standard buildings to maximise profit, then they will not. A savvy businessman puts away enough to ensure that they can re-invest when they need to. They do not rely on the banks loaning them money for every whim they may have. It is a disgusting state of things when someone can put their business into administration one week, and re-open in their wife's name the next. In business you live by the sword, and die by the sword. If the majority of so called businessman in the connurbation cannot stay afloat, then bad bloody luck! They have no divine right to be. Move fast, make good decisions and cut your coat according to your cloth. The amount of bars and restuarants I see opening, closing and re-opening just to keep a step ahead of the administrators makes me sick. just take a look at the site at the top of the Triangle. It closes every other week, then re-opens with a different name. The same way that the print rooms are going. These people are happy to rip the banks off, but upset when it goes the other way. The rewards in business are huge, but so are the risks. If you're not up to the job, then don’t expect a bank to bail you out. There are plenty of salaried jobs you could be doing instead. JLC

11:39am Wed 29 Sep 10

fabiostn says...

Its the same in brisbane then.
Its the same in brisbane then. fabiostn

11:19pm Wed 29 Sep 10

themindboggles says...

Poppycock! its all a pretend recession go back to sleep! Trust the Intenational Banking Cartels there good guys really.

You dont have to do anything your politians and media outlets will do all your thinking for you.
Poppycock! its all a pretend recession go back to sleep! Trust the Intenational Banking Cartels there good guys really. You dont have to do anything your politians and media outlets will do all your thinking for you. themindboggles

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree