Dorset to feature in BBC Springwatch

Bournemouth Echo: Dorset to feature in BBC Springwatch Dorset to feature in BBC Springwatch

DORSET’S wildlife will once again star on national TV as acclaimed film-maker Simon King returns with his cameras.

The wildlife cameraman has announced he will be based in the county to film for the BBC’s popular Springwatch, starting on May 31.

Known for his Big Cat Diary and the recent A Year in Shetland as well as his Autumnwatch and Springwatch films, he and the outside broadcast unit will be highlighting the county’s reptiles, birds and beasts.

Location details are not being released as the crew wants to minimise disturbance for filming in the wild, but the BBC is promising to get close to a wide range of Dorset habitats and wildlife.

“We’re delighted to welcome Simon and Springwatch to Dorset and to have the chance to show off some of the secrets of this beautiful and exceptionally diverse county,” said Nicky Hoar, communications officer at Dorset Wildlife Trust.

Around four million viewers a night are likely to thrill to the sights and sounds of the likes of Poole Harbour’s wildlife and the reserves maintained by the trust and the RSPB.

“The RSPB are looking forward to working with the Springwatch team when they visit Dorset for this year’s series,” said spokesman Tony Whitehead.

“They will be making the most of RSPB reserves in the county and hopefully getting some excellent footage of some of Dorset’s unique wildlife.

“It’s particularly pleasing they’ve chosen Dorset in this, the International Year of Biodiversity, because the county is one of the most bio-diverse in the UK, and we hope the programmes really help reflect this.”

Two years ago Autumnwatch was presented from the National Trust’s Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour, by Bill Oddie and Kate Humble, with Simon King touring around in search of seahorses, deer and the red squirrels who stole the show.

While Simon tours the estuaries, heaths and woodland, presenters Kate Humble and Chris Packham will be hosting the third season from the Pensthorpe Nature Reserve in Norfolk.

Springwatch starts on Monday, May 31, at 8pm on BBC2 and will be broadcast Monday to Thursday each week until June 17.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:41pm Wed 5 May 10

marmite man says...

Oh please not Chris Packham!!!
Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant?
He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate two of the nicest broadcasters.
Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completly spoils the best nature programme.
Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best,
He aint wanted and it will lose the prgramme viewers wll will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him.
Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now and 100% better than Packham!
Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completly spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the prgramme viewers wll will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now and 100% better than Packham! marmite man

5:46pm Wed 5 May 10

marmite man says...

Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything.
Revised spelling and punctuation.
Yea hate me or love me!!!


Oh please not Chris Packham!!!
Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant?
He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters.
Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme.
Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best,
He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him.
Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham!
Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything. Revised spelling and punctuation. Yea hate me or love me!!! Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham! marmite man

7:07pm Wed 5 May 10

Holes Bay Curve says...

marmite man wrote:
Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything.
Revised spelling and punctuation.
Yea hate me or love me!!!


Oh please not Chris Packham!!!
Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant?
He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters.
Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme.
Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best,
He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him.
Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham!
Bill Oddie, Chris Packham, and Simon King would be the ultimate line up of presenters who actually KNOW what they are talking about.
[quote][p][bold]marmite man[/bold] wrote: Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything. Revised spelling and punctuation. Yea hate me or love me!!! Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham![/p][/quote]Bill Oddie, Chris Packham, and Simon King would be the ultimate line up of presenters who actually KNOW what they are talking about. Holes Bay Curve

8:02pm Wed 5 May 10

oversixty says...

Holes Bay Curve wrote:
marmite man wrote: Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything. Revised spelling and punctuation. Yea hate me or love me!!! Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham!
Bill Oddie, Chris Packham, and Simon King would be the ultimate line up of presenters who actually KNOW what they are talking about.
Well said !
Great to see the programme in Dorset where there are some superb wildlife sites !
I wonder where they will be ?
[quote][p][bold]Holes Bay Curve[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marmite man[/bold] wrote: Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything. Revised spelling and punctuation. Yea hate me or love me!!! Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham![/p][/quote]Bill Oddie, Chris Packham, and Simon King would be the ultimate line up of presenters who actually KNOW what they are talking about.[/p][/quote]Well said ! Great to see the programme in Dorset where there are some superb wildlife sites ! I wonder where they will be ? oversixty

10:34pm Wed 5 May 10

marmite man says...

oversixty wrote:
Holes Bay Curve wrote:
marmite man wrote: Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything. Revised spelling and punctuation. Yea hate me or love me!!! Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham!
Bill Oddie, Chris Packham, and Simon King would be the ultimate line up of presenters who actually KNOW what they are talking about.
Well said ! Great to see the programme in Dorset where there are some superb wildlife sites ! I wonder where they will be ?
Packham has less personality than a lug worm!!!
[quote][p][bold]oversixty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Holes Bay Curve[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]marmite man[/bold] wrote: Sorry I pressed the button before I checked everything. Revised spelling and punctuation. Yea hate me or love me!!! Oh please not Chris Packham!!! Who does he think he is? Has he had a personality transplant? He ruins a lovely programme with Simon and Kate, two of the nicest broadcasters. Packham is dull, sullen and uninteresting and completely spoils the best nature programme. Packham spoilt the show last time by talking over Kate and thinking he knows best, He aint wanted and it will lose the programme viewers, it will be such a pity as it is a lovely programme without him. Bring back Bill Oddie he's ok again now, and 100% better than Packham![/p][/quote]Bill Oddie, Chris Packham, and Simon King would be the ultimate line up of presenters who actually KNOW what they are talking about.[/p][/quote]Well said ! Great to see the programme in Dorset where there are some superb wildlife sites ! I wonder where they will be ?[/p][/quote]Packham has less personality than a lug worm!!! marmite man

7:45am Thu 6 May 10

Frogham Ferret says...

and Packham was all in favour of the original National park Plan. Massive dog control, remove horses, charge for using roads etc.
and Packham was all in favour of the original National park Plan. Massive dog control, remove horses, charge for using roads etc. Frogham Ferret

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree