COUNTY council staff were evacuated from a building after a power surge sparked a fire.

Fire crews were called to County Hall in Dorchester just after 11am yesterday.

The fire broke out in the south annexe of the building.

Dorset County Council (DCC) staff had to be evacuated while crews put out the fire.

A spokesperson for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said three fire crews dealt with the incident.

"Crews used four breathing apparatus, one main line and one hose reel jet to extinguish a fire involving an electrical distribution panel in the plant room of the premises.

"The panel was also isolated. Once the fire was extinguished, crews handed over the incident to on site personnel and advised an electrician to inspect the premises."

Staff at DCC have thanked the fire service for their quick response.

A spokesman said yesterday: "Staff are returning to the building as the smoke - due to a power surge in the main electrical supply - has been dealt with and extracted."