POLICE have launched an investigation after a man was found with unexplained injuries in Bournemouth over the weekend.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, police came across an injured 20-year-old man underneath the Wessex Way flyover at Horseshoe Common.

He is believed to live locally.

He was taken to hospital for treatment and released the following day.

Police have said the man appears to have suffered some form of medical episode during the incident.

Police cordoned off the area at the park, around 50m either side of the flyover and the set of steps from Madeira Road, as crime scene investigators examined the underpass for several hours on Sunday.

Residents trying to use the path through to Old Christchurch Road, coming from Dean Park Road, were diverted to the underpasses at Madeira Road and Richmond Hill roundabout.

A spokeswoman from Dorset Police said: “At approximately 1.30am on Sunday police officers located a 20-year-old local man in Horseshoe Common near to the flyover in Bournemouth with unexplained injuries.

“He was taken to hospital to receive treatment.

“Dorset Police are making enquiries to establish how he came about these injuries and would ask anyone who was in the vicinity of Horseshoe Common at the time, or witnessed anything, to contact Dorset Police on 101, quoting reference 10:22.”

A spokeswoman from the South Western Ambulance Service confirmed one crew and one car were sent to the scene.

She said: "We got the call at 1.40pm to reports somebody had sustained serious injuries and was taken to Poole hospital."

Residents took to social media on Sunday morning to find out what was going on, with some speculating that the incident was related to flooding.

Another person wrote on Facebook: "Any idea what happened in Horseshoe Common last night? Police cordon and forensic tent when I left town."

A 23-year-old man of Bournemouth has been arrested in connection with the incident and has been released on police bail pending further enquiries until the end of January 2016.