New Forest National Park to reject £2m funding for "Boris Bike" scheme - because of "major anti-cycling sentiment"

New Forest National Park to reject £2m funding for

New Forest National Park to reject £2m funding for "Boris Bike" scheme - because of "major anti-cycling sentiment"

First published in News
Last updated
by

A 'MAJOR anti-cycling sentiment' in the New Forest could scupper multi-million pound plans for a 'Boris-bike'-style hire system.

Fears over aggravating the “anti-cycling” mood in the forest as well as concerns about sponsorship have led to an extraordinary meeting of the New Forest National Park Authority being called on Tuesday.

Officers and members are recommending the authority does not proceed with the New Forest Public Bike System - aimed at families and tourist rather than serious cyclists - due to the concerns.

A report to the committee says: “In the New Forest a major anti-cycling sentiment has come to the fore in the wake of large-scale cycle sportive events which have impacted on local people.

“A fresh wave of concern exists about the safety of on-road cycling. Concerns about safety featured prominently in the responses to the recent questionnaire about the proposed scheme, especially amongst those who live and work in the Forest.

“Members therefore questioned whether the time was right to introduce more cyclists onto New Forest roads.”

A petition has been set-up online urging the chief executive of the NPA to proceed with the scheme.

The recommendation follows continuing controversy over mass cycling events in the forest.

A charter was drawn up earlier this year for organisers of mass cycle rides following a flood of complaints about the speed and volume of cyclists taking part in the rides.

And a new round of controversy emerged after saboteurs tried to disrupt a Wiggle sportive ride by throwing nails across the route.

Last year, the Department for Transport awarded the New Forest NPA £3.57million to support family cycling in the park.

As well as an upgrade of certain cycle routes and a chance to improve cycling facilities, the programme also included the opportunity to implement a 'limited network' of bike docking stations alongside existing bike hire services.

This part of the programme would cost £2million of the £3.57million total funding.

Initial interest showed 11 of the 12 businesses contacted wanted to host a docking station on their land.

The proposal aimed to increase connectivity between communities and attractions and support the economy as it would allow shorter journeys by bike rather than the existing half or full day.

It was hoped the scheme would also help to reduce the amount of traffic in the area, a key aim of the organisation.

Funding needed to be spent and works completed by March 2015.

But despite a successful search for an operator, a so-called task and finish group recommended not to go ahead with the scheme.

A report to the meeting next week says the backdrop to cycling in the New Forest and elsewhere has 'changed significantly' since the original report was carried out.

The changes include fears over sponsorship since the main sponsor of the London Cycle Hire scheme has said it won't renew its sponsorship.

The authority says similar schemes have launched in Liverpool and Reading without a sponsor and the likelihood of money for the New Forest plan is 'markedly reduced'.

Along with the concerns about the 'anti-cycling sentiment', the report concludes that 'members had insufficient confidence that the project would now be financially sustainable or receive sufficient local support, and therefore be appropriate for the New Forest at this time.”

Earlier this year, the NPA dumped its chairman amid the continuing controversy over mass cycling events.

Retired company director Julian Johnson, 82, was ousted at the annual meeting after four years in the role.

Following a vote to replace him with his deputy, former Official Verderer Oliver Crosthwaite Eyre, members cited the need to tackle the problems being caused by huge cycling events in the area.

After the meeting members pointed out that Cllr Johnson lived in Wiltshire, whereas Mr Crosthwaite Eyre resided in the Forest.

At the time Cllr Maureen Holding said: “It needs someone who lives in the Forest and understands all the problems that cycling has brought.”

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:26pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Red Panda says...

In respect of the last comment about highlighting the problems that cycling brings to the forest...........

what problems............
.........this is a very much a not in my back yard attitude............
.....there are no problems only those that the residents want to make..............cy
clists whether they are they are they are there for events or like myself purely there for the pleasure of using the forest cycle trails and roads generate income to the local area..............

The ones who don't care about what happens to the cyclists are those who sit in their 4x4's and other vehicles and think they have more rights on the road than cyclists do.............read the Highway Code.............Cyc
lists have as much right to be there as you do...............
In respect of the last comment about highlighting the problems that cycling brings to the forest........... what problems............ .........this is a very much a not in my back yard attitude............ .....there are no problems only those that the residents want to make..............cy clists whether they are they are they are there for events or like myself purely there for the pleasure of using the forest cycle trails and roads generate income to the local area.............. The ones who don't care about what happens to the cyclists are those who sit in their 4x4's and other vehicles and think they have more rights on the road than cyclists do.............read the Highway Code.............Cyc lists have as much right to be there as you do............... Red Panda
  • Score: -19

1:33pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Marty Caine says...

I seriously cannot see any logical reason for anyone to be against that scheme. We are talking about a place where donkeys, horses and cattle are free to do whatever they like but a human shouldn't be allowed to cycle?
I seriously cannot see any logical reason for anyone to be against that scheme. We are talking about a place where donkeys, horses and cattle are free to do whatever they like but a human shouldn't be allowed to cycle? Marty Caine
  • Score: 19

1:37pm Wed 13 Aug 14

speedy231278 says...

Give the scheme a red light. They'll just ignore it anyway.... ;-)
Give the scheme a red light. They'll just ignore it anyway.... ;-) speedy231278
  • Score: 15

1:49pm Wed 13 Aug 14

twynham says...

Should you so choose, sign the petition here.

http://www.change.or
g/en-GB/petitions/ne
w-forest-national-pa
rk-authority-impleme
nt-multi-million-pou
nd-rural-equivalent-
of-boris-bikes-that-
already-have-secured
-funding-a-preferred
-supplier-overwhelmi
ng-public-support?re
cruiter=12360507&utm
_campaign=signature_
receipt&utm_medium=e
mail&utm_source=shar
e_petition

Let the anti cyclist rants commence!
Should you so choose, sign the petition here. http://www.change.or g/en-GB/petitions/ne w-forest-national-pa rk-authority-impleme nt-multi-million-pou nd-rural-equivalent- of-boris-bikes-that- already-have-secured -funding-a-preferred -supplier-overwhelmi ng-public-support?re cruiter=12360507&utm _campaign=signature_ receipt&utm_medium=e mail&utm_source=shar e_petition Let the anti cyclist rants commence! twynham
  • Score: -14

2:32pm Wed 13 Aug 14

thisloginprocessisdaft says...

Cars are linked to lung cancer and cost lots of money to run. Bikes keep you fit and don't cost a lot of money to run and they don't cause lung problems.

Lets ban the bikes then is the obvious choice for some of you.

As for the comment above about red lights. How many bikes in the New Forest have killed cows or donkeys?

How many drivers use phones, drink and drive, speed, drive with cars that aren't road worthy, do their make up, read maps?

You silly person.
Cars are linked to lung cancer and cost lots of money to run. Bikes keep you fit and don't cost a lot of money to run and they don't cause lung problems. Lets ban the bikes then is the obvious choice for some of you. As for the comment above about red lights. How many bikes in the New Forest have killed cows or donkeys? How many drivers use phones, drink and drive, speed, drive with cars that aren't road worthy, do their make up, read maps? You silly person. thisloginprocessisdaft
  • Score: 3

2:52pm Wed 13 Aug 14

speedy231278 says...

thisloginprocessisda
ft
wrote:
Cars are linked to lung cancer and cost lots of money to run. Bikes keep you fit and don't cost a lot of money to run and they don't cause lung problems.

Lets ban the bikes then is the obvious choice for some of you.

As for the comment above about red lights. How many bikes in the New Forest have killed cows or donkeys?

How many drivers use phones, drink and drive, speed, drive with cars that aren't road worthy, do their make up, read maps?

You silly person.
Many cyclists ignore red lights. YOUR point is?

Also, you seem to have ignored the smiley on the previous comment, which indicates sarcasm. You silly person.
[quote][p][bold]thisloginprocessisda ft[/bold] wrote: Cars are linked to lung cancer and cost lots of money to run. Bikes keep you fit and don't cost a lot of money to run and they don't cause lung problems. Lets ban the bikes then is the obvious choice for some of you. As for the comment above about red lights. How many bikes in the New Forest have killed cows or donkeys? How many drivers use phones, drink and drive, speed, drive with cars that aren't road worthy, do their make up, read maps? You silly person.[/p][/quote]Many cyclists ignore red lights. YOUR point is? Also, you seem to have ignored the smiley on the previous comment, which indicates sarcasm. You silly person. speedy231278
  • Score: 5

2:57pm Wed 13 Aug 14

speedy231278 says...

As an aside, those complaining about traffic on the roads.....

How does one get to where the Boris Bikes are, without driving or using public transport unless they are located at a railway station, thereby increasing traffic?

How does cycling reduce the amount of traffic when it will in fact mean more slow moving vehicles on the road?

Why cycle around a load of roads in the New Forest when there's a rather large, er, forest to walk in?

What is wrong with the existing cycle hire facilities?
As an aside, those complaining about traffic on the roads..... How does one get to where the Boris Bikes are, without driving or using public transport unless they are located at a railway station, thereby increasing traffic? How does cycling reduce the amount of traffic when it will in fact mean more slow moving vehicles on the road? Why cycle around a load of roads in the New Forest when there's a rather large, er, forest to walk in? What is wrong with the existing cycle hire facilities? speedy231278
  • Score: 13

2:58pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Arthur Maureen says...

thisloginprocessisda
ft
wrote:
Cars are linked to lung cancer and cost lots of money to run. Bikes keep you fit and don't cost a lot of money to run and they don't cause lung problems.

Lets ban the bikes then is the obvious choice for some of you.

As for the comment above about red lights. How many bikes in the New Forest have killed cows or donkeys?

How many drivers use phones, drink and drive, speed, drive with cars that aren't road worthy, do their make up, read maps?

You silly person.
Quite agree. What backward individuals these verderers sound?? As for Cllr Maureen Holdings, yet another fuddy duddy that needs packing in a box and hidden away from public view.
[quote][p][bold]thisloginprocessisda ft[/bold] wrote: Cars are linked to lung cancer and cost lots of money to run. Bikes keep you fit and don't cost a lot of money to run and they don't cause lung problems. Lets ban the bikes then is the obvious choice for some of you. As for the comment above about red lights. How many bikes in the New Forest have killed cows or donkeys? How many drivers use phones, drink and drive, speed, drive with cars that aren't road worthy, do their make up, read maps? You silly person.[/p][/quote]Quite agree. What backward individuals these verderers sound?? As for Cllr Maureen Holdings, yet another fuddy duddy that needs packing in a box and hidden away from public view. Arthur Maureen
  • Score: -24

3:22pm Wed 13 Aug 14

mark.s says...

There's plenty of bike rental companies and suchlike dotted in and around the New Forest. They aren't hard to find if you're interested in doing so. So I'm slightly confused about what all the fuss is about or what different this scheme would make.
There's plenty of bike rental companies and suchlike dotted in and around the New Forest. They aren't hard to find if you're interested in doing so. So I'm slightly confused about what all the fuss is about or what different this scheme would make. mark.s
  • Score: 22

4:07pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Tripod says...

The New Forrest is a Working Forrest not a local park, the people who work there (yes, people actually Work in the New Forrest) need to tend animals every day, thousands of cyclists (who often know nothing about the Forrest) make it more than a little difficult; there needs to be understanding and consideration on both sides, problem is neither side gives a **** about the other.
The New Forrest is a Working Forrest not a local park, the people who work there (yes, people actually Work in the New Forrest) need to tend animals every day, thousands of cyclists (who often know nothing about the Forrest) make it more than a little difficult; there needs to be understanding and consideration on both sides, problem is neither side gives a **** about the other. Tripod
  • Score: 14

4:24pm Wed 13 Aug 14

twynhamob says...

These (useless) people are trying to resurrect a chant from the 70's. Instead of Ban the Bomb, they all chant Ban the Bike. It will be about as useful! Bikes WON- Morons LOST
These (useless) people are trying to resurrect a chant from the 70's. Instead of Ban the Bomb, they all chant Ban the Bike. It will be about as useful! Bikes WON- Morons LOST twynhamob
  • Score: -30

4:35pm Wed 13 Aug 14

bobthedestroyer says...

It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off
It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off bobthedestroyer
  • Score: 26

4:52pm Wed 13 Aug 14

BarrHumbug says...

Nothing like a story about cyclists to get that click rate revenue up for the Echo, well that and Travellers and Wind Farms, both of which are also in the news today ;)
Nothing like a story about cyclists to get that click rate revenue up for the Echo, well that and Travellers and Wind Farms, both of which are also in the news today ;) BarrHumbug
  • Score: 8

5:09pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Marty Caine says...

Tripod wrote:
The New Forrest is a Working Forrest not a local park, the people who work there (yes, people actually Work in the New Forrest) need to tend animals every day, thousands of cyclists (who often know nothing about the Forrest) make it more than a little difficult; there needs to be understanding and consideration on both sides, problem is neither side gives a **** about the other.
Well actually as the headline clearly states its a 'New Forest National Park', so try to keep to the real facts here. I used to drive a delivery van all over the New Forest, dodging cyclists, horses, etc and I never once drove through any cycle muck. But what really amazes me here is the ones who are against this scheme simply have no idea what it is about, it's not about flooding your free grazing land with millions of bikes, its implementing a better system than what is already there. So before being against something at least take the time to see what it is you're actually against, you never know you might actually agree with it.
[quote][p][bold]Tripod[/bold] wrote: The New Forrest is a Working Forrest not a local park, the people who work there (yes, people actually Work in the New Forrest) need to tend animals every day, thousands of cyclists (who often know nothing about the Forrest) make it more than a little difficult; there needs to be understanding and consideration on both sides, problem is neither side gives a **** about the other.[/p][/quote]Well actually as the headline clearly states its a 'New Forest National Park', so try to keep to the real facts here. I used to drive a delivery van all over the New Forest, dodging cyclists, horses, etc and I never once drove through any cycle muck. But what really amazes me here is the ones who are against this scheme simply have no idea what it is about, it's not about flooding your free grazing land with millions of bikes, its implementing a better system than what is already there. So before being against something at least take the time to see what it is you're actually against, you never know you might actually agree with it. Marty Caine
  • Score: 11

5:15pm Wed 13 Aug 14

FONFA says...

With long established cycle hire companies in Burley and Brockenhurst and doubtless other places too, does the Forest need any more such facilities. If it wasn't an externally subsidised "Boris Bike with techno gimmickry" proposal would anything have been said at all.
With long established cycle hire companies in Burley and Brockenhurst and doubtless other places too, does the Forest need any more such facilities. If it wasn't an externally subsidised "Boris Bike with techno gimmickry" proposal would anything have been said at all. FONFA
  • Score: 10

6:19pm Wed 13 Aug 14

JemBmth says...

As a car driver, I have nothing against cyclists if they stick to the laws of the road and when one does, it is a pleasure to see and I respect them. It is, though, a rarity. The New Forest is, sometimes, dangerous for motorists, so I don't think it would be safe for two wheels but they have the choice. Why change anything? People living in the Forest wouldn't suddenly start cycling to work.
As a car driver, I have nothing against cyclists if they stick to the laws of the road and when one does, it is a pleasure to see and I respect them. It is, though, a rarity. The New Forest is, sometimes, dangerous for motorists, so I don't think it would be safe for two wheels but they have the choice. Why change anything? People living in the Forest wouldn't suddenly start cycling to work. JemBmth
  • Score: 6

7:29pm Wed 13 Aug 14

S,Bowes says...

It's a national park not a gatted community
It's a national park not a gatted community S,Bowes
  • Score: -1

7:36pm Wed 13 Aug 14

S,Bowes says...

Would you agree to another souvenir shop ,Ye Olde tea shope,or traditional Icream cream parlour,get real it's s national park not a tacky car park with a visitor centre and all that involves
Would you agree to another souvenir shop ,Ye Olde tea shope,or traditional Icream cream parlour,get real it's s national park not a tacky car park with a visitor centre and all that involves S,Bowes
  • Score: 4

9:51pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Ayles 10 says...

twynham wrote:
Should you so choose, sign the petition here.

http://www.change.or

g/en-GB/petitions/ne

w-forest-national-pa

rk-authority-impleme

nt-multi-million-pou

nd-rural-equivalent-

of-boris-bikes-that-

already-have-secured

-funding-a-preferred

-supplier-overwhelmi

ng-public-support?re

cruiter=12360507&amp
;utm
_campaign=signature_

receipt&utm_medi
um=e
mail&utm_source=
shar
e_petition

Let the anti cyclist rants commence!
Thanks Twynham. Enough is enough as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately the cyclists that care about the beautiful surroundings here and appreciate the wildlife are outnumbered by the arrogant, rude individuals that pose as serious cyclists, but are nothing more than ignorant hooligans.
[quote][p][bold]twynham[/bold] wrote: Should you so choose, sign the petition here. http://www.change.or g/en-GB/petitions/ne w-forest-national-pa rk-authority-impleme nt-multi-million-pou nd-rural-equivalent- of-boris-bikes-that- already-have-secured -funding-a-preferred -supplier-overwhelmi ng-public-support?re cruiter=12360507& ;utm _campaign=signature_ receipt&utm_medi um=e mail&utm_source= shar e_petition Let the anti cyclist rants commence![/p][/quote]Thanks Twynham. Enough is enough as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately the cyclists that care about the beautiful surroundings here and appreciate the wildlife are outnumbered by the arrogant, rude individuals that pose as serious cyclists, but are nothing more than ignorant hooligans. Ayles 10
  • Score: 9

10:52pm Wed 13 Aug 14

sprintervanman says...

Dear oh Dear " It takes someone to live in the Forest to understand the problems cyclist cause" Well if the problem is the speed they travel at in numbers then they obviously are not hanging around long enough to really be a problem and if a group find themselves bunched up and blocking the road it's probably because they are trying to fix the punctures caused by nails thrown in the road.Time to take away the National Park Status from the area and let them get on with it.
Dear oh Dear " It takes someone to live in the Forest to understand the problems cyclist cause" Well if the problem is the speed they travel at in numbers then they obviously are not hanging around long enough to really be a problem and if a group find themselves bunched up and blocking the road it's probably because they are trying to fix the punctures caused by nails thrown in the road.Time to take away the National Park Status from the area and let them get on with it. sprintervanman
  • Score: -2

8:00am Thu 14 Aug 14

Tripod says...

Looks like the selfish few have ruined it for the majority again, many communities would now rather be visited by Travellers than Cyclists.
Looks like the selfish few have ruined it for the majority again, many communities would now rather be visited by Travellers than Cyclists. Tripod
  • Score: 1

8:10am Thu 14 Aug 14

Phixer says...

mark.s wrote:
There's plenty of bike rental companies and suchlike dotted in and around the New Forest. They aren't hard to find if you're interested in doing so. So I'm slightly confused about what all the fuss is about or what different this scheme would make.
This scheme is to make our beloved pubic serpents feel important; they can pretend to be 'entrepeneurs'.

Public service should not compete with commercial interests, not only because they haven't got a clue or experience but because it is another scheme for them to empty my bank account with tax/subsidies when they make a loss.
[quote][p][bold]mark.s[/bold] wrote: There's plenty of bike rental companies and suchlike dotted in and around the New Forest. They aren't hard to find if you're interested in doing so. So I'm slightly confused about what all the fuss is about or what different this scheme would make.[/p][/quote]This scheme is to make our beloved pubic serpents feel important; they can pretend to be 'entrepeneurs'. Public service should not compete with commercial interests, not only because they haven't got a clue or experience but because it is another scheme for them to empty my bank account with tax/subsidies when they make a loss. Phixer
  • Score: 1

9:36am Thu 14 Aug 14

Rick White says...

This is a quote from Wiggle Events news report:

"Barden’s aim is to take the event to the next level, something he believes will be achieved by bringing the resources of the bigger organisation, to reach more riders."

Perhaps this 'drive' for more riders and more profit is the reason behind the animosity felt within the New Forest, which some fail to comprehend, is a working forest for locals to make a living, if at all possible.
This is a quote from Wiggle Events news report: "Barden’s aim is to take the event to the next level, something he believes will be achieved by bringing the resources of the bigger organisation, to reach more riders." Perhaps this 'drive' for more riders and more profit is the reason behind the animosity felt within the New Forest, which some fail to comprehend, is a working forest for locals to make a living, if at all possible. Rick White
  • Score: -1

10:08am Thu 14 Aug 14

suzigirl says...

bobthedestroyer wrote:
It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off
Totally agree with you. The new cycle lane from Baker's Arms to Sandford/Wareham for example of the eight cyclists I seen last night on my way to Wareham (4 being lycra clad) only one (a young girl) was on the cycle lane/path - the rest were unnecessarily holding the traffic up - WHY?

As for the pro-cyclists ranting on about cycling being healthy - why do the cyclists use their gas guzzling 4X4's to transport their cycles - why not cycle the whole way?

As for Boris Johnson.............
.... what has the New Forest got to do with him and hardly an advocate of safe cycling i.e. not wearing a helmet...........
[quote][p][bold]bobthedestroyer[/bold] wrote: It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off[/p][/quote]Totally agree with you. The new cycle lane from Baker's Arms to Sandford/Wareham for example of the eight cyclists I seen last night on my way to Wareham (4 being lycra clad) only one (a young girl) was on the cycle lane/path - the rest were unnecessarily holding the traffic up - WHY? As for the pro-cyclists ranting on about cycling being healthy - why do the cyclists use their gas guzzling 4X4's to transport their cycles - why not cycle the whole way? As for Boris Johnson............. .... what has the New Forest got to do with him and hardly an advocate of safe cycling i.e. not wearing a helmet........... suzigirl
  • Score: -12

10:11am Thu 14 Aug 14

Franks Tank says...

Tripod wrote:
Looks like the selfish few have ruined it for the majority again, many communities would now rather be visited by Travellers than Cyclists.
Oh really?
[quote][p][bold]Tripod[/bold] wrote: Looks like the selfish few have ruined it for the majority again, many communities would now rather be visited by Travellers than Cyclists.[/p][/quote]Oh really? Franks Tank
  • Score: 2

10:23am Thu 14 Aug 14

Azphreal says...

I wonder if its more to do with money but they are using the anti bike feeling as an excuse but i think the locals are more annoyed about LARGE groups taking part in events than normal cyclist.
I wonder if its more to do with money but they are using the anti bike feeling as an excuse but i think the locals are more annoyed about LARGE groups taking part in events than normal cyclist. Azphreal
  • Score: 5

12:04pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Rally says...

Would it not be to of benefit to both motorists and cyclists if this money were to be spent on carrying out much needed major repairs to New Forest roads such as the Bolderwood and Rhinefield Ornamental Drives?
Would it not be to of benefit to both motorists and cyclists if this money were to be spent on carrying out much needed major repairs to New Forest roads such as the Bolderwood and Rhinefield Ornamental Drives? Rally
  • Score: 3

12:26pm Thu 14 Aug 14

HiGene says...

It's a local forest for local people.
It's a local forest for local people. HiGene
  • Score: -2

1:57pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Boscgrrl says...

“The benefits to driving if people ride bicycles are that there is more space left for driving,” he said. “It’s a simple arithmetic truism.” James May
“The benefits to driving if people ride bicycles are that there is more space left for driving,” he said. “It’s a simple arithmetic truism.” James May Boscgrrl
  • Score: 4

3:01pm Thu 14 Aug 14

JackJohnson says...

Phixer wrote:
mark.s wrote:
There's plenty of bike rental companies and suchlike dotted in and around the New Forest. They aren't hard to find if you're interested in doing so. So I'm slightly confused about what all the fuss is about or what different this scheme would make.
This scheme is to make our beloved pubic serpents feel important; they can pretend to be 'entrepeneurs'.

Public service should not compete with commercial interests, not only because they haven't got a clue or experience but because it is another scheme for them to empty my bank account with tax/subsidies when they make a loss.
They rarely, if ever, make a loss - in the pocket that matters to the owners/organisers of the scheme. No other pockets matter to them.
[quote][p][bold]Phixer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark.s[/bold] wrote: There's plenty of bike rental companies and suchlike dotted in and around the New Forest. They aren't hard to find if you're interested in doing so. So I'm slightly confused about what all the fuss is about or what different this scheme would make.[/p][/quote]This scheme is to make our beloved pubic serpents feel important; they can pretend to be 'entrepeneurs'. Public service should not compete with commercial interests, not only because they haven't got a clue or experience but because it is another scheme for them to empty my bank account with tax/subsidies when they make a loss.[/p][/quote]They rarely, if ever, make a loss - in the pocket that matters to the owners/organisers of the scheme. No other pockets matter to them. JackJohnson
  • Score: 2

4:32pm Thu 14 Aug 14

sprintervanman says...

HiGene wrote:
It's a local forest for local people.
Not a National Park then ? For all to enjoy.
[quote][p][bold]HiGene[/bold] wrote: It's a local forest for local people.[/p][/quote]Not a National Park then ? For all to enjoy. sprintervanman
  • Score: 3

4:57pm Thu 14 Aug 14

FNS-man says...

suzigirl wrote:
bobthedestroyer wrote:
It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off
Totally agree with you. The new cycle lane from Baker's Arms to Sandford/Wareham for example of the eight cyclists I seen last night on my way to Wareham (4 being lycra clad) only one (a young girl) was on the cycle lane/path - the rest were unnecessarily holding the traffic up - WHY?

As for the pro-cyclists ranting on about cycling being healthy - why do the cyclists use their gas guzzling 4X4's to transport their cycles - why not cycle the whole way?

As for Boris Johnson.............

.... what has the New Forest got to do with him and hardly an advocate of safe cycling i.e. not wearing a helmet...........
How many times does this question have to be answered for you? You appear to be as stupid as you are spiteful.
[quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bobthedestroyer[/bold] wrote: It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off[/p][/quote]Totally agree with you. The new cycle lane from Baker's Arms to Sandford/Wareham for example of the eight cyclists I seen last night on my way to Wareham (4 being lycra clad) only one (a young girl) was on the cycle lane/path - the rest were unnecessarily holding the traffic up - WHY? As for the pro-cyclists ranting on about cycling being healthy - why do the cyclists use their gas guzzling 4X4's to transport their cycles - why not cycle the whole way? As for Boris Johnson............. .... what has the New Forest got to do with him and hardly an advocate of safe cycling i.e. not wearing a helmet...........[/p][/quote]How many times does this question have to be answered for you? You appear to be as stupid as you are spiteful. FNS-man
  • Score: 8

9:03am Fri 15 Aug 14

suzigirl says...

What does FNS stand for f**king no sense? Idiot!
What does FNS stand for f**king no sense? Idiot! suzigirl
  • Score: -4

9:53am Fri 15 Aug 14

HiGene says...

sprintervanman wrote:
HiGene wrote:
It's a local forest for local people.
Not a National Park then ? For all to enjoy.
*groan*

I hate it when I have to explain a joke. It's a line from League of Gentlemen.
[quote][p][bold]sprintervanman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HiGene[/bold] wrote: It's a local forest for local people.[/p][/quote]Not a National Park then ? For all to enjoy.[/p][/quote]*groan* I hate it when I have to explain a joke. It's a line from League of Gentlemen. HiGene
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Arthur Maureen says...

suzigirl wrote:
bobthedestroyer wrote:
It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off
Totally agree with you. The new cycle lane from Baker's Arms to Sandford/Wareham for example of the eight cyclists I seen last night on my way to Wareham (4 being lycra clad) only one (a young girl) was on the cycle lane/path - the rest were unnecessarily holding the traffic up - WHY?

As for the pro-cyclists ranting on about cycling being healthy - why do the cyclists use their gas guzzling 4X4's to transport their cycles - why not cycle the whole way?

As for Boris Johnson.............

.... what has the New Forest got to do with him and hardly an advocate of safe cycling i.e. not wearing a helmet...........
The cycle lane you mention is yet again not fit for purpose. It comes to an abrupt halt on several sections, forcing a cyclist onto the road and created an (unwanted) hazard for pedestrians. It is also covered with debris which makes it difficult and dangerous to cycle on. Oh, and by the way (as you make this pathetic point constantly) I (and all the other local riders that use the local roads inc this one mentioned) do not have to drive in a 4x4 to get wherever we ride, we actually just ride our bikes..
You sound like a bitter and twisted individual, try and have a lovely weekend.
[quote][p][bold]suzigirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bobthedestroyer[/bold] wrote: It's not anti-cycling par se it's anti-arsehole cyclists the ones that ignore the laws and think they own the road and are holier-than-thou because they cycle that **** people off[/p][/quote]Totally agree with you. The new cycle lane from Baker's Arms to Sandford/Wareham for example of the eight cyclists I seen last night on my way to Wareham (4 being lycra clad) only one (a young girl) was on the cycle lane/path - the rest were unnecessarily holding the traffic up - WHY? As for the pro-cyclists ranting on about cycling being healthy - why do the cyclists use their gas guzzling 4X4's to transport their cycles - why not cycle the whole way? As for Boris Johnson............. .... what has the New Forest got to do with him and hardly an advocate of safe cycling i.e. not wearing a helmet...........[/p][/quote]The cycle lane you mention is yet again not fit for purpose. It comes to an abrupt halt on several sections, forcing a cyclist onto the road and created an (unwanted) hazard for pedestrians. It is also covered with debris which makes it difficult and dangerous to cycle on. Oh, and by the way (as you make this pathetic point constantly) I (and all the other local riders that use the local roads inc this one mentioned) do not have to drive in a 4x4 to get wherever we ride, we actually just ride our bikes.. You sound like a bitter and twisted individual, try and have a lovely weekend. Arthur Maureen
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree