Weather warning as tail-end of Hurricane Bertha heads towards Dorset

Met Office picture of Hurricane Bertha making its way towards the UK

Met Office picture of Hurricane Bertha making its way towards the UK

First published in News
Last updated
by

DORSET residents may need to batten down the hatches as the tail-end of Hurricane Bertha could result in 60mph winds this weekend.

The Met Office says that persistent heavy bursts of rain is expected tonight, with maximum temperatures of 12C, combined with strong coastal winds causing large waves in the area.

Sunday will continue to be wet and windy, with the risk of severe gales, which will ease into showers.

The Environment Agency said that there is a potential risk of flooding tomorrow and Monday, which could see as much as 30mm of rain fall in just three hours.

It also advised residents to regularly check the flood risk situation through reports and potential weather warnings over the next 48 hours.

Dorset County Council has told people to prepare for heavy downpours this weekend.

A spokesman said: “Low-lying campsites, car parks and caravan parks may be affected by the rain and outdoor events could suffer very muddy or even waterlogged conditions.

“Beaches and other coastal areas could also be hit by large waves and, if this happens, people should stay a safe distance from the shoreline.”

I

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:07pm Sat 9 Aug 14

Hessenford says...

yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.
yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference. Hessenford
  • Score: -18

1:11pm Sat 9 Aug 14

FlamingCarbuncle says...

Hessenford wrote:
yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.
Really, advice of bad weather looking is nanny state interference oraybe you think they made the weather bad. Doh!!
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.[/p][/quote]Really, advice of bad weather looking is nanny state interference oraybe you think they made the weather bad. Doh!! FlamingCarbuncle
  • Score: 7

1:12pm Sat 9 Aug 14

FlamingCarbuncle says...

FlamingCarbuncle wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.
Really, advice of bad weather looking is nanny state interference oraybe you think they made the weather bad. Doh!!
Fingers too fat for iphone keyboard!
[quote][p][bold]FlamingCarbuncle[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.[/p][/quote]Really, advice of bad weather looking is nanny state interference oraybe you think they made the weather bad. Doh!![/p][/quote]Fingers too fat for iphone keyboard! FlamingCarbuncle
  • Score: 16

2:15pm Sat 9 Aug 14

caapprentice says...

The Environment Agency has put out a low risk flood warning for the whole of England and Wales on Sunday.
In the Echo we are told 'Could be, may be, be aware, be prepared'.
I think that this is just a recruiting drive for the Boy Scouts.
According to the Met Office forecast for the local area, it may well be all over by the time the majority of us arise from their slothful beds on Sunday morning (:o))
The Environment Agency has put out a low risk flood warning for the whole of England and Wales on Sunday. In the Echo we are told 'Could be, may be, be aware, be prepared'. I think that this is just a recruiting drive for the Boy Scouts. According to the Met Office forecast for the local area, it may well be all over by the time the majority of us arise from their slothful beds on Sunday morning (:o)) caapprentice
  • Score: 20

2:31pm Sat 9 Aug 14

spooki says...

I prefer the vague guide of weather forecasting like "If the rocks wet, it's raining".
I prefer the vague guide of weather forecasting like "If the rocks wet, it's raining". spooki
  • Score: 20

2:42pm Sat 9 Aug 14

muscliffman says...

It was also widely predicted that the slightly stormy tail end of this tropical storm could well track across France today and tonight instead of here.

As the sun is out in a very dry Bournemouth at present and I have just taken a call from France where they are right now encountering unseasonally heavy rain and moderately high winds.......
It was also widely predicted that the slightly stormy tail end of this tropical storm could well track across France today and tonight instead of here. As the sun is out in a very dry Bournemouth at present and I have just taken a call from France where they are right now encountering unseasonally heavy rain and moderately high winds....... muscliffman
  • Score: 19

3:10pm Sat 9 Aug 14

FerryFan says...

Anyone on Barfleur....:-))
Anyone on Barfleur....:-)) FerryFan
  • Score: 6

5:47pm Sat 9 Aug 14

carrrob says...

Or check weather the fir cone is open or closed more accurate than the may or may not weather forecasts !
Or check weather the fir cone is open or closed more accurate than the may or may not weather forecasts ! carrrob
  • Score: 8

6:43pm Sat 9 Aug 14

justme20092009 says...

blah blah blah
blah blah blah justme20092009
  • Score: -2

6:43pm Sat 9 Aug 14

justme20092009 says...

oh my days its gonna rain in the uk
oh my days its gonna rain in the uk justme20092009
  • Score: 9

8:40pm Sat 9 Aug 14

Bob49 says...

Hessenford wrote:
yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.
well said, it' is political correctness gone mad, you can't even buy hedgehog flavoured cucumbers because the EU has banned them and now we can't even have our own weather it has to come from abroad...
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.[/p][/quote]well said, it' is political correctness gone mad, you can't even buy hedgehog flavoured cucumbers because the EU has banned them and now we can't even have our own weather it has to come from abroad... Bob49
  • Score: 9

9:11pm Sat 9 Aug 14

Pablo23 says...

Bob49 wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.
well said, it' is political correctness gone mad, you can't even buy hedgehog flavoured cucumbers because the EU has banned them and now we can't even have our own weather it has to come from abroad...
Global warming ?
[quote][p][bold]Bob49[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: yEA, YEA ,YEA, more nanny state interference.[/p][/quote]well said, it' is political correctness gone mad, you can't even buy hedgehog flavoured cucumbers because the EU has banned them and now we can't even have our own weather it has to come from abroad...[/p][/quote]Global warming ? Pablo23
  • Score: -1

9:14pm Sat 9 Aug 14

kalebmoledirt says...

caapprentice wrote:
The Environment Agency has put out a low risk flood warning for the whole of England and Wales on Sunday.
In the Echo we are told 'Could be, may be, be aware, be prepared'.
I think that this is just a recruiting drive for the Boy Scouts.
According to the Met Office forecast for the local area, it may well be all over by the time the majority of us arise from their slothful beds on Sunday morning (:o))
Boy scouts Bear Grills ,wet and windy don't start that nonsense this is a prize winning newspaper
[quote][p][bold]caapprentice[/bold] wrote: The Environment Agency has put out a low risk flood warning for the whole of England and Wales on Sunday. In the Echo we are told 'Could be, may be, be aware, be prepared'. I think that this is just a recruiting drive for the Boy Scouts. According to the Met Office forecast for the local area, it may well be all over by the time the majority of us arise from their slothful beds on Sunday morning (:o))[/p][/quote]Boy scouts Bear Grills ,wet and windy don't start that nonsense this is a prize winning newspaper kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 3

9:21pm Sat 9 Aug 14

kalebmoledirt says...

Just over the wall in Normandy your time 22,16 'stood in the garden .tackle out ,having a Barbie,warm calm bit cloudy down the valley .over to you Micheal Fish. Sod that was hot
Just over the wall in Normandy your time 22,16 'stood in the garden .tackle out ,having a Barbie,warm calm bit cloudy down the valley .over to you Micheal Fish. Sod that was hot kalebmoledirt
  • Score: 1

10:05pm Sat 9 Aug 14

trolley says...

Warning,weather will happen.pointless scaremongering
Warning,weather will happen.pointless scaremongering trolley
  • Score: 4

1:34am Sun 10 Aug 14

Ragwin says...

Nice change from the hot weather.
Nice change from the hot weather. Ragwin
  • Score: 4

3:16am Sun 10 Aug 14

kangman2012 says...

Bbc weather couldn't forecast the 1987 "storm" and that was then. Now, the slightest hint of any weather with all the tech - still can't do any better
Bbc weather couldn't forecast the 1987 "storm" and that was then. Now, the slightest hint of any weather with all the tech - still can't do any better kangman2012
  • Score: -1

6:52am Sun 10 Aug 14

roamer200 says...

Anyone else notice how inaccurate and wrong the forecast is these days. It's not ever going to be 100percent but it's so wrong at the moment. The met weather site changes through out the day and will still say 20percent chance of rain when it has pee'd down. Who funds these numpty's hope it's not us?
Anyone else notice how inaccurate and wrong the forecast is these days. It's not ever going to be 100percent but it's so wrong at the moment. The met weather site changes through out the day and will still say 20percent chance of rain when it has pee'd down. Who funds these numpty's hope it's not us? roamer200
  • Score: -2

7:04am Sun 10 Aug 14

billy bumble says...

roamer200 wrote:
Anyone else notice how inaccurate and wrong the forecast is these days. It's not ever going to be 100percent but it's so wrong at the moment. The met weather site changes through out the day and will still say 20percent chance of rain when it has pee'd down. Who funds these numpty's hope it's not us?
Before the days of computers the Met Office used to be right only 50% of the time

Nowadays , with computer models , they are able to be wrong 50% of the time

PS - Interestingly , I believe the Met Office actually makes a substantial profit - hope their accountants are better than their forecasters
[quote][p][bold]roamer200[/bold] wrote: Anyone else notice how inaccurate and wrong the forecast is these days. It's not ever going to be 100percent but it's so wrong at the moment. The met weather site changes through out the day and will still say 20percent chance of rain when it has pee'd down. Who funds these numpty's hope it's not us?[/p][/quote]Before the days of computers the Met Office used to be right only 50% of the time Nowadays , with computer models , they are able to be wrong 50% of the time PS - Interestingly , I believe the Met Office actually makes a substantial profit - hope their accountants are better than their forecasters billy bumble
  • Score: -1

10:28am Sun 10 Aug 14

Hessenford says...

billy bumble wrote:
roamer200 wrote:
Anyone else notice how inaccurate and wrong the forecast is these days. It's not ever going to be 100percent but it's so wrong at the moment. The met weather site changes through out the day and will still say 20percent chance of rain when it has pee'd down. Who funds these numpty's hope it's not us?
Before the days of computers the Met Office used to be right only 50% of the time

Nowadays , with computer models , they are able to be wrong 50% of the time

PS - Interestingly , I believe the Met Office actually makes a substantial profit - hope their accountants are better than their forecasters
Their probably wrong more than 50% of the time, 10.27am and the suns poking through, so much for the hurricane and battening down the hatches.
[quote][p][bold]billy bumble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roamer200[/bold] wrote: Anyone else notice how inaccurate and wrong the forecast is these days. It's not ever going to be 100percent but it's so wrong at the moment. The met weather site changes through out the day and will still say 20percent chance of rain when it has pee'd down. Who funds these numpty's hope it's not us?[/p][/quote]Before the days of computers the Met Office used to be right only 50% of the time Nowadays , with computer models , they are able to be wrong 50% of the time PS - Interestingly , I believe the Met Office actually makes a substantial profit - hope their accountants are better than their forecasters[/p][/quote]Their probably wrong more than 50% of the time, 10.27am and the suns poking through, so much for the hurricane and battening down the hatches. Hessenford
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree