Police called to Barclays Bank in Wallisdown after 'armed' robbery

Police at Barclays bank in Wallisdown

Police at Barclays bank in Wallisdown

Police at Barclays bank in Wallisdown

Police at Barclays bank in Wallisdown

Police at Barclays bank in Wallisdown

First published in News
Last updated
by

POLICE descended on a bank in Wallisdown yesterday after an armed robbery.

The incident happened at around 10am and the scene at Barclays Bank in Bryant Road was sealed off.

Witnesses said they thought that the man was armed, although police say that no weapon was seen.

Martyn Goodchild, who lives nearby, was walking his dog when he saw the commotion.

He said: “As I was walking past I was chatting to someone who said it had just happened.

“It’s tucked away and there are alleyways there and the heathland.”

Louise Davis, of nearby Mark Anthony Kitchens and Bathrooms, said: “The road was closed off and there were police everywhere with sniffer dogs.

“A police officer came in and asked if I had seen anything because they think the robber escaped down an alleyway between the bank and Alder Road.”

One man, who asked not to be named, told the Daily Echo at the scene: “I was at the cashpoint when I saw a guy come out of the side road, walking out of there.

“When I got into my car he got into a green Peugeot estate, a 306 or 307.

“He just walked out and round into the bank and walked back again.

“He was limping, he had blue tape over his face. He looked like he’d had a nose job; you couldn’t see his nose and you could barely see his eyes.

“When he got in the car they went off around the corner and there was a lot of pink smoke – the dye they put in the money bags had gone off in the car.”

In details released late this afternoon, police said a man entered the bank, demanding money.

Staff handed cash over and he left and was seen getting into a metallic light green-coloured Peugeot estate, which was parked on Bryant Road with another person inside.

It drove off towards Mossley Road.

A security pack from the bank containing red dye is believed to have discharged in the vehicle, which would have covered the occupants and the inside of the vehicle.

Armed officers were sent to the scene and the police helicopter was brought in for the search, but nobody has been arrested so far.

Police said that nobody was hurt and no weapon was seen.

The offender is described as a white man, approximately five feet ten inches tall, wearing blue tape or a bandana to disguise his face.

He was wearing a light blue tracksuit top, black Nike tracksuit bottoms which had a white Nike tick on the left and white trainers. He was also wearing a brown baseball cap which had a fawn coloured peak and white writing on it.

DS Dave Colomb, of Bournemouth and Poole CID, said: “The robber and his accomplice could have red dye on them that is extremely difficult to remove. The dye will also be in the vehicle and possibly on the windows.

“Anyone who has suspicions or concerns about anyone who has red dye on them are advised not to approach them but to call the police immediately.

“Witnesses who may have seen this vehicle or anyone who has information that can help with the investigation is urged to come forward urgently and in confidence.”

The bank was closed while investigations were carried out.

Witnesses should call 101, quoting incident number 10:98, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The bank was last targeted in December 2012, when a man queued with customers before approaching the cashier and demanding cash, as well as making threats to harm members of the public in the branch.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:51am Thu 10 Jul 14

Townee says...

Looks like this branch will be next to close down. Twice in a few years is not fair on staff who have to deal with robbers.
Looks like this branch will be next to close down. Twice in a few years is not fair on staff who have to deal with robbers. Townee
  • Score: 33

12:11pm Thu 10 Jul 14

BarrHumbug says...

Townee wrote:
Looks like this branch will be next to close down. Twice in a few years is not fair on staff who have to deal with robbers.
I'm surprised there are still as many branches as there are, I can't remember the last time I went into a bank, at least two years and that was only because they invited me in to review my account and try to sell me a mortgage. Within 10 years they'll all be gone apart from maybe one branch in the centre of each town, possibly shared by different banks, they are just waiting for that generation to shuffle off, they can do away with cheques then too?
[quote][p][bold]Townee[/bold] wrote: Looks like this branch will be next to close down. Twice in a few years is not fair on staff who have to deal with robbers.[/p][/quote]I'm surprised there are still as many branches as there are, I can't remember the last time I went into a bank, at least two years and that was only because they invited me in to review my account and try to sell me a mortgage. Within 10 years they'll all be gone apart from maybe one branch in the centre of each town, possibly shared by different banks, they are just waiting for that generation to shuffle off, they can do away with cheques then too? BarrHumbug
  • Score: 4

1:18pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Avengerboy says...

Sounds like a comedy sketch.
Sounds like a comedy sketch. Avengerboy
  • Score: -16

1:44pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Phixer says...

"Police called to Barclays Bank in Wallisdown after suspected armed robbery"

How can you 'suspect' a robbery? Either money has been stolen - which makes it a robbery, or money hasn't been stolen - which makes it an 'attemped' robbery.
"Police called to Barclays Bank in Wallisdown after suspected armed robbery" How can you 'suspect' a robbery? Either money has been stolen - which makes it a robbery, or money hasn't been stolen - which makes it an 'attemped' robbery. Phixer
  • Score: 10

1:56pm Thu 10 Jul 14

twynham says...

Makes a change from Barclays robbing us.
Makes a change from Barclays robbing us. twynham
  • Score: 46

2:00pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Bob Bournemouth says...

They won't get very far if they are covered in pink dye! I hope all the staff and customers who were there are okay - it's a nasty thing to have happen to you.
They won't get very far if they are covered in pink dye! I hope all the staff and customers who were there are okay - it's a nasty thing to have happen to you. Bob Bournemouth
  • Score: 33

2:31pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

Goodish description by the bloke of the car, limp and weird face, plus the dye
Nice work.

Every little helps.
Goodish description by the bloke of the car, limp and weird face, plus the dye Nice work. Every little helps. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 19

2:38pm Thu 10 Jul 14

caapprentice says...

POLICE descended on a bank in Wallisdown this morning after a suspected armed robbery.
I hope that they observed 'elf n safty' rules when they got down from the top of the bank building!
POLICE descended on a bank in Wallisdown this morning after a suspected armed robbery. I hope that they observed 'elf n safty' rules when they got down from the top of the bank building! caapprentice
  • Score: -7

3:02pm Thu 10 Jul 14

justme20092009 says...

lend us a tenner
lend us a tenner justme20092009
  • Score: -17

3:02pm Thu 10 Jul 14

old buffer says...

Is that what they mean by the 'pink pound?'
Is that what they mean by the 'pink pound?' old buffer
  • Score: 1

4:27pm Thu 10 Jul 14

drJones says...

I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself! drJones
  • Score: -6

6:21pm Thu 10 Jul 14

breamoreboy says...

drJones wrote:
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?
[quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself![/p][/quote]Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering? breamoreboy
  • Score: 11

6:45pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Old Colonial says...

breamoreboy wrote:
drJones wrote:
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?
Ah, that's what the robber will be doing to get the pink dye off.
[quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself![/p][/quote]Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?[/p][/quote]Ah, that's what the robber will be doing to get the pink dye off. Old Colonial
  • Score: 18

7:01pm Thu 10 Jul 14

drJones says...

breamoreboy wrote:
drJones wrote:
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?
So, walk in bank pay in £5k. The bank clerk tries to play it casual and says "oh anything nice?" so I respond "just sold my car" bank: "oh very nice what car have you bought?" "I haven't bought one yet" bank: "oh that's a bit strange, why would you sell your car before buying another car?" May sound friendly conversation here but when they are implying it could be dodgy on as little as 5k is a bit much. The money is paid into an account which can be fully traced later if needed. Those questions do not determine whether the money was laundered.

So, you goto the bank and ask for £5k from your current account. They frown at you and say we don't have that much in the branch. B*****t you don't its a bank! - they make it awkward people will just go away, no benefits of a bank.
[quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself![/p][/quote]Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?[/p][/quote]So, walk in bank pay in £5k. The bank clerk tries to play it casual and says "oh anything nice?" so I respond "just sold my car" bank: "oh very nice what car have you bought?" "I haven't bought one yet" bank: "oh that's a bit strange, why would you sell your car before buying another car?" May sound friendly conversation here but when they are implying it could be dodgy on as little as 5k is a bit much. The money is paid into an account which can be fully traced later if needed. Those questions do not determine whether the money was laundered. So, you goto the bank and ask for £5k from your current account. They frown at you and say we don't have that much in the branch. B*****t you don't its a bank! - they make it awkward people will just go away, no benefits of a bank. drJones
  • Score: -8

7:44pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Kiki1973 says...

drJones wrote:
breamoreboy wrote:
drJones wrote:
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?
So, walk in bank pay in £5k. The bank clerk tries to play it casual and says "oh anything nice?" so I respond "just sold my car" bank: "oh very nice what car have you bought?" "I haven't bought one yet" bank: "oh that's a bit strange, why would you sell your car before buying another car?" May sound friendly conversation here but when they are implying it could be dodgy on as little as 5k is a bit much. The money is paid into an account which can be fully traced later if needed. Those questions do not determine whether the money was laundered.

So, you goto the bank and ask for £5k from your current account. They frown at you and say we don't have that much in the branch. B*****t you don't its a bank! - they make it awkward people will just go away, no benefits of a bank.
These answers are documented, this isn't just chit chat, they're looking for reasonable answers for the amount. The 7/7 bombings were done with £7k and a few credit cards. The bombers were caught because questions like this were asked because the deposits were out of keeping with normal activity on the account. As for not keeping that much in the branch, if it's a smaller branch, why would they? There's a security limit to how much can be kept in a branch for the exact reasons outlined in this case. Are you suggesting that the branch should keep an extra few thousand around in case you decide to come in one day? Would it not make more sense to keep a lower amount in-house to mitigate loss but then have the cash transferred to the branch if you call ahead the day before?
[quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself![/p][/quote]Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?[/p][/quote]So, walk in bank pay in £5k. The bank clerk tries to play it casual and says "oh anything nice?" so I respond "just sold my car" bank: "oh very nice what car have you bought?" "I haven't bought one yet" bank: "oh that's a bit strange, why would you sell your car before buying another car?" May sound friendly conversation here but when they are implying it could be dodgy on as little as 5k is a bit much. The money is paid into an account which can be fully traced later if needed. Those questions do not determine whether the money was laundered. So, you goto the bank and ask for £5k from your current account. They frown at you and say we don't have that much in the branch. B*****t you don't its a bank! - they make it awkward people will just go away, no benefits of a bank.[/p][/quote]These answers are documented, this isn't just chit chat, they're looking for reasonable answers for the amount. The 7/7 bombings were done with £7k and a few credit cards. The bombers were caught because questions like this were asked because the deposits were out of keeping with normal activity on the account. As for not keeping that much in the branch, if it's a smaller branch, why would they? There's a security limit to how much can be kept in a branch for the exact reasons outlined in this case. Are you suggesting that the branch should keep an extra few thousand around in case you decide to come in one day? Would it not make more sense to keep a lower amount in-house to mitigate loss but then have the cash transferred to the branch if you call ahead the day before? Kiki1973
  • Score: 2

7:54pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Androo says...

No CCTV or will it be shown in about 3 weeks/months when everyone has forgotten where they were that day?
No CCTV or will it be shown in about 3 weeks/months when everyone has forgotten where they were that day? Androo
  • Score: 4

8:27pm Thu 10 Jul 14

blackdog1 says...

nickynoodah wrote:
don't act like a tart George
grow a pear for a change.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzz.............
..
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: don't act like a tart George grow a pear for a change.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz............. .. blackdog1
  • Score: -4

8:52pm Thu 10 Jul 14

drJones says...

Kiki1973 wrote:
drJones wrote:
breamoreboy wrote:
drJones wrote:
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?
So, walk in bank pay in £5k. The bank clerk tries to play it casual and says "oh anything nice?" so I respond "just sold my car" bank: "oh very nice what car have you bought?" "I haven't bought one yet" bank: "oh that's a bit strange, why would you sell your car before buying another car?" May sound friendly conversation here but when they are implying it could be dodgy on as little as 5k is a bit much. The money is paid into an account which can be fully traced later if needed. Those questions do not determine whether the money was laundered.

So, you goto the bank and ask for £5k from your current account. They frown at you and say we don't have that much in the branch. B*****t you don't its a bank! - they make it awkward people will just go away, no benefits of a bank.
These answers are documented, this isn't just chit chat, they're looking for reasonable answers for the amount. The 7/7 bombings were done with £7k and a few credit cards. The bombers were caught because questions like this were asked because the deposits were out of keeping with normal activity on the account. As for not keeping that much in the branch, if it's a smaller branch, why would they? There's a security limit to how much can be kept in a branch for the exact reasons outlined in this case. Are you suggesting that the branch should keep an extra few thousand around in case you decide to come in one day? Would it not make more sense to keep a lower amount in-house to mitigate loss but then have the cash transferred to the branch if you call ahead the day before?
I agree with what your saying and understand that, but 5k for any size bank is not a lot to keep in a safe out the back (not at cashiers desk) and this is where they keep it. Take the Poole highstreet branch (Barclays) they said no, when challenged they then went and got money out, just reluctant to help. I suspect because they probably have to count it twice and don't want to.
[quote][p][bold]Kiki1973[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself![/p][/quote]Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?[/p][/quote]So, walk in bank pay in £5k. The bank clerk tries to play it casual and says "oh anything nice?" so I respond "just sold my car" bank: "oh very nice what car have you bought?" "I haven't bought one yet" bank: "oh that's a bit strange, why would you sell your car before buying another car?" May sound friendly conversation here but when they are implying it could be dodgy on as little as 5k is a bit much. The money is paid into an account which can be fully traced later if needed. Those questions do not determine whether the money was laundered. So, you goto the bank and ask for £5k from your current account. They frown at you and say we don't have that much in the branch. B*****t you don't its a bank! - they make it awkward people will just go away, no benefits of a bank.[/p][/quote]These answers are documented, this isn't just chit chat, they're looking for reasonable answers for the amount. The 7/7 bombings were done with £7k and a few credit cards. The bombers were caught because questions like this were asked because the deposits were out of keeping with normal activity on the account. As for not keeping that much in the branch, if it's a smaller branch, why would they? There's a security limit to how much can be kept in a branch for the exact reasons outlined in this case. Are you suggesting that the branch should keep an extra few thousand around in case you decide to come in one day? Would it not make more sense to keep a lower amount in-house to mitigate loss but then have the cash transferred to the branch if you call ahead the day before?[/p][/quote]I agree with what your saying and understand that, but 5k for any size bank is not a lot to keep in a safe out the back (not at cashiers desk) and this is where they keep it. Take the Poole highstreet branch (Barclays) they said no, when challenged they then went and got money out, just reluctant to help. I suspect because they probably have to count it twice and don't want to. drJones
  • Score: 1

9:46pm Thu 10 Jul 14

Bob Bournemouth says...

I think you will find that they don't like people walking around with a lot of cash in their bag/pocket. They are also not allowed to hold much cash in their tills for obvious reasons.
I think you will find that they don't like people walking around with a lot of cash in their bag/pocket. They are also not allowed to hold much cash in their tills for obvious reasons. Bob Bournemouth
  • Score: 1

10:32pm Thu 10 Jul 14

biffa78 says...

The main thing is that nobody got hurt in robbery!!!

I am sure the bank will make the money back that they lost, within a few hours. It is not right way to get money,the best way is to earn it not steal it and scare the s##t out of the staff/customers.
The main thing is that nobody got hurt in robbery!!! I am sure the bank will make the money back that they lost, within a few hours. It is not right way to get money,the best way is to earn it not steal it and scare the s##t out of the staff/customers. biffa78
  • Score: 6

12:18am Fri 11 Jul 14

breamoreboy says...

Phixer wrote:
"Police called to Barclays Bank in Wallisdown after suspected armed robbery"

How can you 'suspect' a robbery? Either money has been stolen - which makes it a robbery, or money hasn't been stolen - which makes it an 'attemped' robbery.
As John McEnroe was famously quoted as saying "You cannot be serious".
[quote][p][bold]Phixer[/bold] wrote: "Police called to Barclays Bank in Wallisdown after suspected armed robbery" How can you 'suspect' a robbery? Either money has been stolen - which makes it a robbery, or money hasn't been stolen - which makes it an 'attemped' robbery.[/p][/quote]As John McEnroe was famously quoted as saying "You cannot be serious". breamoreboy
  • Score: 3

7:39am Fri 11 Jul 14

BIGTONE says...

Covered in Pink.........
He will be at LGBT on Saturday.
Covered in Pink......... He will be at LGBT on Saturday. BIGTONE
  • Score: 2

10:00am Fri 11 Jul 14

Mr Angry. says...

why is it when something serious hapeens you get Trolls on here with stupid comments.

You wouldnt be laughing if it was you behind the counter
why is it when something serious hapeens you get Trolls on here with stupid comments. You wouldnt be laughing if it was you behind the counter Mr Angry.
  • Score: 11

11:23am Fri 11 Jul 14

Dibbles2 says...

I understand their alarms were not working last week and staff actually told customers this as they could not open until they had been fixed. Less than a week later someone walks in and robs the place? Coincidence?
I understand their alarms were not working last week and staff actually told customers this as they could not open until they had been fixed. Less than a week later someone walks in and robs the place? Coincidence? Dibbles2
  • Score: 1

4:31pm Fri 11 Jul 14

breamoreboy says...

Old Colonial wrote:
breamoreboy wrote:
drJones wrote:
I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself!
Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?
Ah, that's what the robber will be doing to get the pink dye off.
Thanks, I've had a really good chuckle over that one :-)
[quote][p][bold]Old Colonial[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]breamoreboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: I don't goto the bank either very often, and when I do its usually to pay in a reasonable amount of money or take out. Either way the bank (not this particular one) ask you 20questions why your drawing it out or paying it in. If they don't want the money ill goto another bank or secure it myself![/p][/quote]Are you aware of the legislation regarding money laundering?[/p][/quote]Ah, that's what the robber will be doing to get the pink dye off.[/p][/quote]Thanks, I've had a really good chuckle over that one :-) breamoreboy
  • Score: -2

4:36pm Fri 11 Jul 14

breamoreboy says...

nickynoodah wrote:
don't act like a tart George
grow a pear for a change.
Urgently wanted. Polish speaker for translation work in St Annes. Excellent long term job prospects. Only complete morons living in Boscombe need apply.
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: don't act like a tart George grow a pear for a change.[/p][/quote]Urgently wanted. Polish speaker for translation work in St Annes. Excellent long term job prospects. Only complete morons living in Boscombe need apply. breamoreboy
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree