Retired Corfe Hills School teacher Ian Bell jailed for owning and sharing thousands of child abuse images

Jailed: Former teacher Ian Bell

Jailed: Former teacher Ian Bell

First published in News
Last updated

A RETIRED teacher has been jailed for owning and distributing indecent images and movies of children.

Ian Bell, 66, from Corfe Mullen, was given a 28-month prison sentence at Bournemouth Crown Court after admitting 20 offences.

Detectives were alerted in April to Bell’s online activities and the force’s Paedophile Online Investigation Team (POLIT) launched an investigation. Computers and electronic equipment were later seized from Bell’s home.

Thousands of shocking indecent images and movies of children were identified by the POLIT team. Further examination revealed Bell had also distributed this material to other paedophiles.

On release from prison, Bell, who taught chemistry at Corfe Hills School from 2001 to 2008 and then as a supply teacher until 2011, will be given a Sex Offenders’ Prevention Order and placed on the sex offenders’ register.

A spokesperson for Borough of Poole Said: “Borough of Poole confirms that Mr Ian Bell is a former member of teaching staff at Corfe Hills School. 

"Mr Bell was employed as a teacher at the school between 2001 and 2008. He was subsequently employed as a supply teacher at the school between 2008 and 2011. Recruitment procedures for people employed in schools include previous employment references and a criminal record check. 

"We can confirm that appropriate checks were made at the time of Mr Bell’s appointment. We can also confirm that there is no suggestion that pupils in Poole schools have been directly involved in any of the matters for which Mr Bell has been convicted.”

Acting Detective Superintendent Chris Naughton, the force’s director of public protection, said: “We are using technology to combat offenders who use the internet as a weapon to attack and abuse children.

“POLIT work closely with similar units both in the UK and abroad to identify and bring to justice those criminals who use cyberspace to sexually exploit children.

“If you commit these crimes we will find you, arrest you and bring you to justice.

“I also urge those abusing children to seek professional help from either their GP or another professional organisation such as Stop it Now! or the Lucy Faithfull Foundation.”

The Paedophile Online Investigation Team can be contacted on 101.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:55pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

Corfe Mullen again !!!

Thats 3 jailed in the last 3 weeks. Would it be viable to build a prison there ?
Corfe Mullen again !!! Thats 3 jailed in the last 3 weeks. Would it be viable to build a prison there ? Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: -12

2:35pm Mon 30 Jun 14

penbehindtheear says...

He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame!
He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame! penbehindtheear
  • Score: 25

2:55pm Mon 30 Jun 14

SimonJB says...

penbehindtheear wrote:
He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame!
Jimmy Saville was passionate about raising money for charity, however he has been shown to be one of the sickest people that ever lived!
What this shows is that Paedophiles don't wear a T-shirt identifying themselves to the population!!
There are some very sick people out and about and the internet has just made the way they operate easier and a way to get hold of even more indecent images of children....Hope the police keep catching them and hope that one day chemical castration (I'd prefer they used a blade) is given as part of the sentence!!
[quote][p][bold]penbehindtheear[/bold] wrote: He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame![/p][/quote]Jimmy Saville was passionate about raising money for charity, however he has been shown to be one of the sickest people that ever lived! What this shows is that Paedophiles don't wear a T-shirt identifying themselves to the population!! There are some very sick people out and about and the internet has just made the way they operate easier and a way to get hold of even more indecent images of children....Hope the police keep catching them and hope that one day chemical castration (I'd prefer they used a blade) is given as part of the sentence!! SimonJB
  • Score: 18

4:06pm Mon 30 Jun 14

XbrighteyesX says...

This sickens me... He was my science teacher and I always thought he was odd, to think such a good school employed this nonce is sad... 28mths is not enough, sick in the head.makes my blood boil! Ppl involved in drugs crimes get alot longer than freaks like this! Hope he rots in his cell!
This sickens me... He was my science teacher and I always thought he was odd, to think such a good school employed this nonce is sad... 28mths is not enough, sick in the head.makes my blood boil! Ppl involved in drugs crimes get alot longer than freaks like this! Hope he rots in his cell! XbrighteyesX
  • Score: 13

4:06pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Karen Ann says...

My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.
My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG. Karen Ann
  • Score: 6

5:22pm Mon 30 Jun 14

rich53 says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
Corfe Mullen again !!!

Thats 3 jailed in the last 3 weeks. Would it be viable to build a prison there ?
I don't think the inmates could afford the cells very overpriced area!
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: Corfe Mullen again !!! Thats 3 jailed in the last 3 weeks. Would it be viable to build a prison there ?[/p][/quote]I don't think the inmates could afford the cells very overpriced area! rich53
  • Score: 4

5:54pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Subpress says...

Karen Ann wrote:
My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.
Omg I think he was a teacher at St. Peter's school back in the early 90's does anyone else remember him there??
What is wrong with people?? Why do they get a kick out of this kind of thing?
[quote][p][bold]Karen Ann[/bold] wrote: My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.[/p][/quote]Omg I think he was a teacher at St. Peter's school back in the early 90's does anyone else remember him there?? What is wrong with people?? Why do they get a kick out of this kind of thing? Subpress
  • Score: 8

6:45pm Mon 30 Jun 14

alasdair1967 says...

Admittedly 28 months is not nearly long enough at least a paedophile has been jailed by Bournemouth courts just as well wiggins was not on the bench for this case
Admittedly 28 months is not nearly long enough at least a paedophile has been jailed by Bournemouth courts just as well wiggins was not on the bench for this case alasdair1967
  • Score: 9

7:45pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Adrian XX says...

alasdair1967 wrote:
Admittedly 28 months is not nearly long enough at least a paedophile has been jailed by Bournemouth courts just as well wiggins was not on the bench for this case
Shouldn't have been jailed. And I guess wiggins was out on his bike.
[quote][p][bold]alasdair1967[/bold] wrote: Admittedly 28 months is not nearly long enough at least a paedophile has been jailed by Bournemouth courts just as well wiggins was not on the bench for this case[/p][/quote]Shouldn't have been jailed. And I guess wiggins was out on his bike. Adrian XX
  • Score: -9

8:09pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Adrian XX says...

I guess the title should be "... possessing and sharing...".

What worries me is that we get so few, if any, reports of anyone being prosecuted for producing these images and videos in the first place. Are they producing with wild abandon because demand is so high and it is almost impossible to track them down?
I guess the title should be "... possessing and sharing...". What worries me is that we get so few, if any, reports of anyone being prosecuted for producing these images and videos in the first place. Are they producing with wild abandon because demand is so high and it is almost impossible to track them down? Adrian XX
  • Score: 10

8:41pm Mon 30 Jun 14

BoscombeWarLord says...

Subpress wrote:
Karen Ann wrote:
My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.
Omg I think he was a teacher at St. Peter's school back in the early 90's does anyone else remember him there??
What is wrong with people?? Why do they get a kick out of this kind of thing?
He was indeed a teacher in St Peter's and we rather imaginatively called him bell-end. Looks like we were right. What a fecking dirt bag.
[quote][p][bold]Subpress[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Karen Ann[/bold] wrote: My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.[/p][/quote]Omg I think he was a teacher at St. Peter's school back in the early 90's does anyone else remember him there?? What is wrong with people?? Why do they get a kick out of this kind of thing?[/p][/quote]He was indeed a teacher in St Peter's and we rather imaginatively called him bell-end. Looks like we were right. What a fecking dirt bag. BoscombeWarLord
  • Score: 13

10:07pm Mon 30 Jun 14

HRH of Boscombe says...

Karen Ann wrote:
My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.
Bet he was the sports day photographers too!
[quote][p][bold]Karen Ann[/bold] wrote: My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.[/p][/quote]Bet he was the sports day photographers too! HRH of Boscombe
  • Score: -8

10:14pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Karen Ann says...

HRH of Boscombe wrote:
Karen Ann wrote:
My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.
Bet he was the sports day photographers too!
Actually he also taught Photography when he was at Lytchett Minster School.
[quote][p][bold]HRH of Boscombe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Karen Ann[/bold] wrote: My old Chemistry teacher!!! OMG.[/p][/quote]Bet he was the sports day photographers too![/p][/quote]Actually he also taught Photography when he was at Lytchett Minster School. Karen Ann
  • Score: 7

10:19pm Mon 30 Jun 14

elsa19 says...

He was a teacher at Lytchett in the 80's
He was a teacher at Lytchett in the 80's elsa19
  • Score: 4

10:30pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Huey says...

His bearded face sickens me. Same goes for evil Rolf Harris.
His bearded face sickens me. Same goes for evil Rolf Harris. Huey
  • Score: -4

11:45pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

Adrian XX wrote:
I guess the title should be "... possessing and sharing...".

What worries me is that we get so few, if any, reports of anyone being prosecuted for producing these images and videos in the first place. Are they producing with wild abandon because demand is so high and it is almost impossible to track them down?
Most of the images are produced in the 3rd world countries, phillipinines, Thailand, Viet nam, darkest Africa, Russia, south America, then shared on the dark web with the Tor browser. They use WiFi at hotels to upload and then move on. Always annonymous, always ahead of the game.

Its only usually the idiots at the end of the line that get caught, like this bloke.
[quote][p][bold]Adrian XX[/bold] wrote: I guess the title should be "... possessing and sharing...". What worries me is that we get so few, if any, reports of anyone being prosecuted for producing these images and videos in the first place. Are they producing with wild abandon because demand is so high and it is almost impossible to track them down?[/p][/quote]Most of the images are produced in the 3rd world countries, phillipinines, Thailand, Viet nam, darkest Africa, Russia, south America, then shared on the dark web with the Tor browser. They use WiFi at hotels to upload and then move on. Always annonymous, always ahead of the game. Its only usually the idiots at the end of the line that get caught, like this bloke. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 13

12:14am Tue 1 Jul 14

Babybop says...

People are now coming out of the woodwork saying they always thought he was odd, creepy etc. Truth be had I don't think any of us did think that or suspected him to be anything like a peadophile!! I think most of us would say it is scary how someone so close to home who you knew would be capable of such a thing! Sad to say maybe you can't trust anyone for what may be behind closed doors.
People are now coming out of the woodwork saying they always thought he was odd, creepy etc. Truth be had I don't think any of us did think that or suspected him to be anything like a peadophile!! I think most of us would say it is scary how someone so close to home who you knew would be capable of such a thing! Sad to say maybe you can't trust anyone for what may be behind closed doors. Babybop
  • Score: 26

9:16am Tue 1 Jul 14

TheDistrict says...

SimonJB wrote:
penbehindtheear wrote:
He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame!
Jimmy Saville was passionate about raising money for charity, however he has been shown to be one of the sickest people that ever lived!
What this shows is that Paedophiles don't wear a T-shirt identifying themselves to the population!!
There are some very sick people out and about and the internet has just made the way they operate easier and a way to get hold of even more indecent images of children....Hope the police keep catching them and hope that one day chemical castration (I'd prefer they used a blade) is given as part of the sentence!!
As Esther Rantzen quoted after the verdict on Rolf Harris. They are not monsters, but nice men, some very nice men.

Sick, all of them.
[quote][p][bold]SimonJB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]penbehindtheear[/bold] wrote: He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame![/p][/quote]Jimmy Saville was passionate about raising money for charity, however he has been shown to be one of the sickest people that ever lived! What this shows is that Paedophiles don't wear a T-shirt identifying themselves to the population!! There are some very sick people out and about and the internet has just made the way they operate easier and a way to get hold of even more indecent images of children....Hope the police keep catching them and hope that one day chemical castration (I'd prefer they used a blade) is given as part of the sentence!![/p][/quote]As Esther Rantzen quoted after the verdict on Rolf Harris. They are not monsters, but nice men, some very nice men. Sick, all of them. TheDistrict
  • Score: 5

2:20pm Tue 1 Jul 14

pete woodley says...

TheDistrict wrote:
SimonJB wrote:
penbehindtheear wrote:
He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame!
Jimmy Saville was passionate about raising money for charity, however he has been shown to be one of the sickest people that ever lived!
What this shows is that Paedophiles don't wear a T-shirt identifying themselves to the population!!
There are some very sick people out and about and the internet has just made the way they operate easier and a way to get hold of even more indecent images of children....Hope the police keep catching them and hope that one day chemical castration (I'd prefer they used a blade) is given as part of the sentence!!
As Esther Rantzen quoted after the verdict on Rolf Harris. They are not monsters, but nice men, some very nice men.

Sick, all of them.
What about the sick people who know what they are like and say nothing.
[quote][p][bold]TheDistrict[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SimonJB[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]penbehindtheear[/bold] wrote: He was my chemistry teacher!! I never would have guessed this ever - You could always distract him by talking about university and how this was the best thing you could do for your career. But apart from that he was a great teacher and passionate about teaching science. What a shame![/p][/quote]Jimmy Saville was passionate about raising money for charity, however he has been shown to be one of the sickest people that ever lived! What this shows is that Paedophiles don't wear a T-shirt identifying themselves to the population!! There are some very sick people out and about and the internet has just made the way they operate easier and a way to get hold of even more indecent images of children....Hope the police keep catching them and hope that one day chemical castration (I'd prefer they used a blade) is given as part of the sentence!![/p][/quote]As Esther Rantzen quoted after the verdict on Rolf Harris. They are not monsters, but nice men, some very nice men. Sick, all of them.[/p][/quote]What about the sick people who know what they are like and say nothing. pete woodley
  • Score: 3

7:16pm Tue 1 Jul 14

bryonyc-t says...

This was my old Chemistry teacher from St Peters and my sisters from Corfe hills. He was very passionate about Chemistry and even did most of my coursework! Its all very shocking and too close to home. What is this world coming to?
This was my old Chemistry teacher from St Peters and my sisters from Corfe hills. He was very passionate about Chemistry and even did most of my coursework! Its all very shocking and too close to home. What is this world coming to? bryonyc-t
  • Score: 2

7:34pm Tue 1 Jul 14

melting pot says...

Trouble is he'll be in a special prison with like minded scum who will treat him as a hero.........Perhaps the prison staff could deal with him in their special all black uniforms that conceal their identities
Trouble is he'll be in a special prison with like minded scum who will treat him as a hero.........Perhaps the prison staff could deal with him in their special all black uniforms that conceal their identities melting pot
  • Score: -2

8:39pm Wed 2 Jul 14

Hobad1 says...

Sick ba$t@rd.
Sick ba$t@rd. Hobad1
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree