Video: Ex-paratrooper's luxury car wrecked at petrol station

Bournemouth Echo: SHOCKED: Mr Hansford’s Jaguar was said to have been wrecked by a metal gate SHOCKED: Mr Hansford’s Jaguar was said to have been wrecked by a metal gate

A MAN says he was “inches from death” after his car was wrecked at a petrol station forecourt.

Donald Hansford, 80, drove his Jaguar XJ8 to Red Eagle Fuel Supplies, Blandford Road North, Upton, on Saturday at around 9.30am.

The former paratrooper said after paying for £20 of petrol and driving away from the pumps he was left stunned when he claims a heavy metal gate smashed into his vehicle.

“There was a hell of a crash and I wondered what it was,” he added. “I was very shocked.”

“I was covered in glass, the windscreen exploded on impact and my cheek cracked.

“The road was clear so I couldn’t understand what had happened.

“I had gone in there with a beautiful car and I came out in an ambulance.”

Mr Hansford was then taken to hospital for treatment, where he received X-rays and had shards of glass removed from his ears.

The mechanic, who has worked with cars for 50 years and now specialises in Jaguars, said he has been left struggling to sleep since the incident.

“Another inch or two and I would have been dead,” added Mr Hansford.

“When my family saw the state of the car they told me I was lucky to be alive.”

Despite the injuries he sustained, the widower said it was the damage to the 11-year-old car, which was previously in immaculate condition and worth around £3,000, which had been most upsetting.

Sean Stacey, who runs Red Eagle Fuel Supplies, said he had served Mr Hansford moments before the crash.

“I just heard this almighty crash and we ran straight out to help,” he added.

“I am not sure exactly what happened. I haven’t seen anything like it before.

“He is really badly shaken up and I have been to visit him since the incident. We are all shocked. Donald has been coming to us for years and I know that his Jaguar is his pride and joy.”

Mr Stacey said the matter was now in the hands of insurance company.

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:13am Mon 30 Jun 14

Tango Charlie says...

So, was the gate unsecured and swung open (or shut), or did he drive into a fixed gate that he didn't see!
So, was the gate unsecured and swung open (or shut), or did he drive into a fixed gate that he didn't see! Tango Charlie
  • Score: 44

5:52am Mon 30 Jun 14

Understated says...

im confused. is there a gate on the forecourt? where the hell was this gate and how did it just appear?
im confused. is there a gate on the forecourt? where the hell was this gate and how did it just appear? Understated
  • Score: 44

7:05am Mon 30 Jun 14

Superuser says...

Mmmmm, wonder what his insurance claim will say? "I ran into a stationary gate, coming in the other direction" perhaps.
Mmmmm, wonder what his insurance claim will say? "I ran into a stationary gate, coming in the other direction" perhaps. Superuser
  • Score: 27

7:12am Mon 30 Jun 14

Huey says...

No doubt the fuel station will have CCTV covering the forecourt's entrance and exit, like every other in the country. Then we can see where the magic gate came from.
No doubt the fuel station will have CCTV covering the forecourt's entrance and exit, like every other in the country. Then we can see where the magic gate came from. Huey
  • Score: 23

7:54am Mon 30 Jun 14

alasdair1967 says...

I'm aware of this garage the gate concerned is a huge metal box section gate extremely difficult to miss in truth
I'm aware of this garage the gate concerned is a huge metal box section gate extremely difficult to miss in truth alasdair1967
  • Score: 22

7:59am Mon 30 Jun 14

drJones says...

was it really worth the £20 of fuel, probably just enough to drive off the forecourt in that car!
was it really worth the £20 of fuel, probably just enough to drive off the forecourt in that car! drJones
  • Score: 15

8:08am Mon 30 Jun 14

BIGTONE says...

drJones wrote:
was it really worth the £20 of fuel, probably just enough to drive off the forecourt in that car!
£20 of fuel just doubled the value of the old smoker.


Don't tell me.......was it an auto gearbox?

The gate must have jumped out on him.
[quote][p][bold]drJones[/bold] wrote: was it really worth the £20 of fuel, probably just enough to drive off the forecourt in that car![/p][/quote]£20 of fuel just doubled the value of the old smoker. Don't tell me.......was it an auto gearbox? The gate must have jumped out on him. BIGTONE
  • Score: 7

8:13am Mon 30 Jun 14

Lord Spring says...

There was a similar incident with a lorry many years ago on the Prom at Boscombe when a barrier gate of this nature swung partially closed and penetrated the cab of lorry impaling the driver through the leg.
They act as a lance end on and are not easily visible ( 4 inch width at the most) modification have been made since with high visibility plates affixed end on .
There was a similar incident with a lorry many years ago on the Prom at Boscombe when a barrier gate of this nature swung partially closed and penetrated the cab of lorry impaling the driver through the leg. They act as a lance end on and are not easily visible ( 4 inch width at the most) modification have been made since with high visibility plates affixed end on . Lord Spring
  • Score: 15

9:28am Mon 30 Jun 14

whataboutthat says...

woby_tide wrote:
Another journalistic masterclass.

An incident, but no details what actually happened, why it happened, how it happened, and what has been done to prevent it in future. But we know someone almost/possibly/coul

d have/maybe not/quite nearly died. But didn't.

When is it work experience week for the schools then you might actually get someone in who is prepared to write some details in a report?
Agree - total piffle.
[quote][p][bold]woby_tide[/bold] wrote: Another journalistic masterclass. An incident, but no details what actually happened, why it happened, how it happened, and what has been done to prevent it in future. But we know someone almost/possibly/coul d have/maybe not/quite nearly died. But didn't. When is it work experience week for the schools then you might actually get someone in who is prepared to write some details in a report?[/p][/quote]Agree - total piffle. whataboutthat
  • Score: 44

9:46am Mon 30 Jun 14

guitario says...

The Mail Online will be hiring their writers from the Echo soon. It's the next logical regression..
The Mail Online will be hiring their writers from the Echo soon. It's the next logical regression.. guitario
  • Score: 18

10:08am Mon 30 Jun 14

woby_tide says...

whataboutthat wrote:
woby_tide wrote:
Another journalistic masterclass.

An incident, but no details what actually happened, why it happened, how it happened, and what has been done to prevent it in future. But we know someone almost/possibly/coul


d have/maybe not/quite nearly died. But didn't.

When is it work experience week for the schools then you might actually get someone in who is prepared to write some details in a report?
Agree - total piffle.
And yet it's irked someone enough to remove my criticism

Sorry Toby. Free speech and all that.....
[quote][p][bold]whataboutthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woby_tide[/bold] wrote: Another journalistic masterclass. An incident, but no details what actually happened, why it happened, how it happened, and what has been done to prevent it in future. But we know someone almost/possibly/coul d have/maybe not/quite nearly died. But didn't. When is it work experience week for the schools then you might actually get someone in who is prepared to write some details in a report?[/p][/quote]Agree - total piffle.[/p][/quote]And yet it's irked someone enough to remove my criticism Sorry Toby. Free speech and all that..... woby_tide
  • Score: 19

10:10am Mon 30 Jun 14

grazzer says...

How can you reasonably expect a detailed report when they have aleady stated that no details are available yet?
How can you reasonably expect a detailed report when they have aleady stated that no details are available yet? grazzer
  • Score: 2

10:18am Mon 30 Jun 14

watford06 says...

i am slightly confused either the photo of the gate is a different gate or he managed to flip the car how did it damage the winscreen and roof when it is a 4 ft high gate??
i am slightly confused either the photo of the gate is a different gate or he managed to flip the car how did it damage the winscreen and roof when it is a 4 ft high gate?? watford06
  • Score: 3

10:24am Mon 30 Jun 14

woby_tide says...

grazzer wrote:
How can you reasonably expect a detailed report when they have aleady stated that no details are available yet?
Because cars don't implode on their own. We know a car is involved. We know a gate is involved. We know one of them or both of them would have been moving. We know one of them has to have been somewhere they shouldn't have been for them to meet. We know that there is something now in place to make sure it isn't happening to every car that visits that garage.

Those sort of details could have been put in the report. Then in due course the full details could have emerged about the exact reason/failure. But for the short term there was more than enough details to actually make the report informative rather than lacking in any detail whatsoever.
[quote][p][bold]grazzer[/bold] wrote: How can you reasonably expect a detailed report when they have aleady stated that no details are available yet?[/p][/quote]Because cars don't implode on their own. We know a car is involved. We know a gate is involved. We know one of them or both of them would have been moving. We know one of them has to have been somewhere they shouldn't have been for them to meet. We know that there is something now in place to make sure it isn't happening to every car that visits that garage. Those sort of details could have been put in the report. Then in due course the full details could have emerged about the exact reason/failure. But for the short term there was more than enough details to actually make the report informative rather than lacking in any detail whatsoever. woby_tide
  • Score: 8

10:35am Mon 30 Jun 14

Telscombe Cliffy says...

What a lucky escape , could have been fatal. Car looks a right-off though
What a lucky escape , could have been fatal. Car looks a right-off though Telscombe Cliffy
  • Score: 5

10:41am Mon 30 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

Perhaps at 80 it's a sign to send his licence back to the dvla.

Perhaps not. I cannot make an assumption with so few facts at present.
Perhaps at 80 it's a sign to send his licence back to the dvla. Perhaps not. I cannot make an assumption with so few facts at present. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 6

11:11am Mon 30 Jun 14

Wesoblind says...

its pretty obvious, the gates swung open, hes hit the thin end which has hit the bonnet which has thrown it up to the roof where it has wedged against where the rear view mirror was.
its pretty obvious, the gates swung open, hes hit the thin end which has hit the bonnet which has thrown it up to the roof where it has wedged against where the rear view mirror was. Wesoblind
  • Score: 16

12:06pm Mon 30 Jun 14

uvox44 says...

great reporting from the Echo- after reading this I'm none the wiser over what actually happened here!
great reporting from the Echo- after reading this I'm none the wiser over what actually happened here! uvox44
  • Score: 11

12:59pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Mindvor says...

"..said he has been left struggling to sleep since the incident."

Nice work, get there in there now (and publicly) to ensure a maximum return on your personal injury insurance payout!

I'm such an old cynic ;)
"..said he has been left struggling to sleep since the incident." Nice work, get there in there now (and publicly) to ensure a maximum return on your personal injury insurance payout! I'm such an old cynic ;) Mindvor
  • Score: 13

1:12pm Mon 30 Jun 14

nickynoodah says...

IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth,
should have been at Trents yonks ago you know
it is.
get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.
IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth, should have been at Trents yonks ago you know it is. get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates. nickynoodah
  • Score: -5

1:35pm Mon 30 Jun 14

BarrHumbug says...

It has got a sunroof now though so wouldn't that add value to the car?
It has got a sunroof now though so wouldn't that add value to the car? BarrHumbug
  • Score: 2

1:43pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Ragwin says...

Sounds like he parked his precious car in a place to avoid being scratched by other vehicles. But there was a good reason why cars didn't park in that spot. It was where the gate swung open. Fools and their cars.
Sounds like he parked his precious car in a place to avoid being scratched by other vehicles. But there was a good reason why cars didn't park in that spot. It was where the gate swung open. Fools and their cars. Ragwin
  • Score: -6

2:13pm Mon 30 Jun 14

hamworthygirl says...

With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.
With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving. hamworthygirl
  • Score: -5

2:45pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Gingertree says...

He's an ex Para but this! Has made him not sleep give us a break mate Leave the p.t.s.d to those who've actually had a life altering experience
He's an ex Para but this! Has made him not sleep give us a break mate Leave the p.t.s.d to those who've actually had a life altering experience Gingertree
  • Score: 9

3:35pm Mon 30 Jun 14

sarlane says...

hamworthygirl wrote:
With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.
Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars.

But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.
[quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.[/p][/quote]Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars. But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there. sarlane
  • Score: 11

3:48pm Mon 30 Jun 14

nickynoodah says...

Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads
also cyclists 80 or over test them as well
60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving
keep death of the roads you know it is
Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads also cyclists 80 or over test them as well 60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving keep death of the roads you know it is nickynoodah
  • Score: -2

4:35pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

I think all licences should be revoked at 70. All the oldies saying I'm all right at 68 or whatever are not in a position to judge themselves as they are biased.

Most of them cant see correctly let alone manouvere a vehicle properly at normal speed.

Get on the bus, youve got a free pass.
I think all licences should be revoked at 70. All the oldies saying I'm all right at 68 or whatever are not in a position to judge themselves as they are biased. Most of them cant see correctly let alone manouvere a vehicle properly at normal speed. Get on the bus, youve got a free pass. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: -8

4:44pm Mon 30 Jun 14

mikeymagic says...

My 3 year old tells stories with more factual content than this! Come on, please!
My 3 year old tells stories with more factual content than this! Come on, please! mikeymagic
  • Score: 6

6:06pm Mon 30 Jun 14

folkprotector says...

sarlane wrote:
hamworthygirl wrote:
With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.
Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars.

But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.
Someone writing with rational thought behind their words... at last, thank you!
[quote][p][bold]sarlane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.[/p][/quote]Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars. But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.[/p][/quote]Someone writing with rational thought behind their words... at last, thank you! folkprotector
  • Score: 0

6:09pm Mon 30 Jun 14

folkprotector says...

nickynoodah wrote:
Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads
also cyclists 80 or over test them as well
60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving
keep death of the roads you know it is
and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads also cyclists 80 or over test them as well 60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving keep death of the roads you know it is[/p][/quote]and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)? folkprotector
  • Score: 2

6:13pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Count Mehin says...

Considering the lack of details, I am surprised at how many insults here. Oh well, you know what they say about opinions......... Maybe keep them to yourselves until the facts come out?
Considering the lack of details, I am surprised at how many insults here. Oh well, you know what they say about opinions......... Maybe keep them to yourselves until the facts come out? Count Mehin
  • Score: 3

6:22pm Mon 30 Jun 14

Count Mehin says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
I think all licences should be revoked at 70. All the oldies saying I'm all right at 68 or whatever are not in a position to judge themselves as they are biased.

Most of them cant see correctly let alone manouvere a vehicle properly at normal speed.

Get on the bus, youve got a free pass.
About the first sentence, agreed, except for one small qualifier -- If you can pass the standard drivers' test, then you should be given a one year license. I.e., seniors get a drivers test annually. And I'll go one further, anyone involved in an accident gets their license taken away, until they pass a standard drivers test. That should make everyone more careful.
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: I think all licences should be revoked at 70. All the oldies saying I'm all right at 68 or whatever are not in a position to judge themselves as they are biased. Most of them cant see correctly let alone manouvere a vehicle properly at normal speed. Get on the bus, youve got a free pass.[/p][/quote]About the first sentence, agreed, except for one small qualifier -- If you can pass the standard drivers' test, then you should be given a one year license. I.e., seniors get a drivers test annually. And I'll go one further, anyone involved in an accident gets their license taken away, until they pass a standard drivers test. That should make everyone more careful. Count Mehin
  • Score: -2

6:37pm Mon 30 Jun 14

reasonable commonsense says...

google Red Eagle Fuel Supplies Upton and you will get BH16 6AA, put that postcode into google maps and go up the road a little way, you will see what I take to be the said gate?
google Red Eagle Fuel Supplies Upton and you will get BH16 6AA, put that postcode into google maps and go up the road a little way, you will see what I take to be the said gate? reasonable commonsense
  • Score: 1

7:00pm Mon 30 Jun 14

blackdog1 says...

nickynoodah wrote:
IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth,
should have been at Trents yonks ago you know
it is.
get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.
Here we go again!....another pointless comment from this idiot! Every comment this fool makes always attracts thumbs down! Why bother commenting when all you say is utter nonsense?
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth, should have been at Trents yonks ago you know it is. get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.[/p][/quote]Here we go again!....another pointless comment from this idiot! Every comment this fool makes always attracts thumbs down! Why bother commenting when all you say is utter nonsense? blackdog1
  • Score: -1

8:01pm Mon 30 Jun 14

hamworthygirl says...

sarlane wrote:
hamworthygirl wrote:
With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.
Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars.

But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.
Not saying everyone should stop driving when they are older just saying that maybe this particular gent should drive a less powerful car. If you read my post i did say with the greatest respect so as not to insult the man.
[quote][p][bold]sarlane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.[/p][/quote]Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars. But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.[/p][/quote]Not saying everyone should stop driving when they are older just saying that maybe this particular gent should drive a less powerful car. If you read my post i did say with the greatest respect so as not to insult the man. hamworthygirl
  • Score: -3

8:23pm Mon 30 Jun 14

MMM444 says...

reasonable commonsense wrote:
google Red Eagle Fuel Supplies Upton and you will get BH16 6AA, put that postcode into google maps and go up the road a little way, you will see what I take to be the said gate?
The gate he hit is one of three that are in the forecourt area, it was formerly the Upton oil company,( just off the Upton By-pass ) Blandford Rd North hence the matter being dealt with the Red Eagles insurance company
[quote][p][bold]reasonable commonsense[/bold] wrote: google Red Eagle Fuel Supplies Upton and you will get BH16 6AA, put that postcode into google maps and go up the road a little way, you will see what I take to be the said gate?[/p][/quote]The gate he hit is one of three that are in the forecourt area, it was formerly the Upton oil company,( just off the Upton By-pass ) Blandford Rd North hence the matter being dealt with the Red Eagles insurance company MMM444
  • Score: 2

10:13pm Mon 30 Jun 14

nickynoodah says...

blackdog1 wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth,
should have been at Trents yonks ago you know
it is.
get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.
Here we go again!....another pointless comment from this idiot! Every comment this fool makes always attracts thumbs down! Why bother commenting when all you say is utter nonsense?
very hurtful I cried when I read you called me an idiot
and thumbs downed me
I don't remember getting a thumbs down before ...ever
you know it is.
[quote][p][bold]blackdog1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth, should have been at Trents yonks ago you know it is. get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.[/p][/quote]Here we go again!....another pointless comment from this idiot! Every comment this fool makes always attracts thumbs down! Why bother commenting when all you say is utter nonsense?[/p][/quote]very hurtful I cried when I read you called me an idiot and thumbs downed me I don't remember getting a thumbs down before ...ever you know it is. nickynoodah
  • Score: -3

1:57am Tue 1 Jul 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

blackdog1 wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth,
should have been at Trents yonks ago you know
it is.
get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.
Here we go again!....another pointless comment from this idiot! Every comment this fool makes always attracts thumbs down! Why bother commenting when all you say is utter nonsense?
Ive just given you a thumbs down for that flippant comment, why not judge a book by its cover rather than making wild assumptions.
How dare you.
[quote][p][bold]blackdog1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: IT will cost more to paint the gate than the cars worth, should have been at Trents yonks ago you know it is. get a metro, Don, then you can drive under most gates.[/p][/quote]Here we go again!....another pointless comment from this idiot! Every comment this fool makes always attracts thumbs down! Why bother commenting when all you say is utter nonsense?[/p][/quote]Ive just given you a thumbs down for that flippant comment, why not judge a book by its cover rather than making wild assumptions. How dare you. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: 1

2:08am Tue 1 Jul 14

Sir Beachy Head says...

hamworthygirl wrote:
sarlane wrote:
hamworthygirl wrote:
With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.
Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars.

But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.
Not saying everyone should stop driving when they are older just saying that maybe this particular gent should drive a less powerful car. If you read my post i did say with the greatest respect so as not to insult the man.
Drivers between 55 and 70 {the year they have to retire from motoring]

Their maximum engine capacity must be 998CC or less.
[quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sarlane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.[/p][/quote]Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars. But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.[/p][/quote]Not saying everyone should stop driving when they are older just saying that maybe this particular gent should drive a less powerful car. If you read my post i did say with the greatest respect so as not to insult the man.[/p][/quote]Drivers between 55 and 70 {the year they have to retire from motoring] Their maximum engine capacity must be 998CC or less. Sir Beachy Head
  • Score: -2

7:21am Tue 1 Jul 14

S,Bowes says...

Whyis it possible for a few bored bedroom dwellers to hijack these stories in an attempt to cause embarrassment to victims of misadventure.sure the gentleman would be happy to discuss his capabilities face to face.but I doubt that will happen
Whyis it possible for a few bored bedroom dwellers to hijack these stories in an attempt to cause embarrassment to victims of misadventure.sure the gentleman would be happy to discuss his capabilities face to face.but I doubt that will happen S,Bowes
  • Score: 1

7:23am Tue 1 Jul 14

Lord Spring says...

Age has nothing to do with this incident the one I mentioned earlier that happened was a 40 year old driver. These type of barrier gates are menace if left free to swing. They need to be the same height on the shutting stile as the hanging stile they then act as a blunt instrument and not a lance when hit end on.
Age has nothing to do with this incident the one I mentioned earlier that happened was a 40 year old driver. These type of barrier gates are menace if left free to swing. They need to be the same height on the shutting stile as the hanging stile they then act as a blunt instrument and not a lance when hit end on. Lord Spring
  • Score: 3

9:44am Tue 1 Jul 14

BarrHumbug says...

folkprotector wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads
also cyclists 80 or over test them as well
60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving
keep death of the roads you know it is
and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?
i'm guessing around 4 or 5?
[quote][p][bold]folkprotector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads also cyclists 80 or over test them as well 60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving keep death of the roads you know it is[/p][/quote]and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?[/p][/quote]i'm guessing around 4 or 5? BarrHumbug
  • Score: 1

12:30pm Tue 1 Jul 14

BigAlfromsunnyBournemouth says...

BIGTONE says... Don't tell me.......was it an auto gearbox?

Yes it was an automatic as can be clearly seen from the photo of the damaged car, but without knowing the circumstances it's impossible to say whether the fact that it was an automatic has any bearing.

My own opinion is that the combination of an elderly driver with an automatic car is a proven recipe for eventual disaster. At 66 y.o.a. I'm rapidly approaching the renewal of my current driving licence, but I definitely won't be buying an automatic car, when I can no longer drive a manual car then it will be time to call it a day.
BIGTONE says... Don't tell me.......was it an auto gearbox? Yes it was an automatic as can be clearly seen from the photo of the damaged car, but without knowing the circumstances it's impossible to say whether the fact that it was an automatic has any bearing. My own opinion is that the combination of an elderly driver with an automatic car is a proven recipe for eventual disaster. At 66 y.o.a. I'm rapidly approaching the renewal of my current driving licence, but I definitely won't be buying an automatic car, when I can no longer drive a manual car then it will be time to call it a day. BigAlfromsunnyBournemouth
  • Score: 2

12:50pm Tue 1 Jul 14

speedy231278 says...

Seems pretty obvious to me. The gate (which was once straight and not curved) has not been secured correctly, or was not seen, and the car has been driven into the end with inevitable consequences. Whether or not the gate was easily visible, being thin and white, is down to circumstance. Doubtless, the insurance argument will be one side arguing the gate was insecure, and the other arguing that the driver should have seen it. Both have valid points, but if it was secured and the driver simply didn't see it, then it's not the forecourt owner's fault!
Seems pretty obvious to me. The gate (which was once straight and not curved) has not been secured correctly, or was not seen, and the car has been driven into the end with inevitable consequences. Whether or not the gate was easily visible, being thin and white, is down to circumstance. Doubtless, the insurance argument will be one side arguing the gate was insecure, and the other arguing that the driver should have seen it. Both have valid points, but if it was secured and the driver simply didn't see it, then it's not the forecourt owner's fault! speedy231278
  • Score: 1

12:53pm Tue 1 Jul 14

nickynoodah says...

BarrHumbug wrote:
folkprotector wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads
also cyclists 80 or over test them as well
60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving
keep death of the roads you know it is
and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?
i'm guessing around 4 or 5?
5 year olds now is it
same as jimmy nobath saville
hang our head in shame.
you know it is.
[quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]folkprotector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads also cyclists 80 or over test them as well 60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving keep death of the roads you know it is[/p][/quote]and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?[/p][/quote]i'm guessing around 4 or 5?[/p][/quote]5 year olds now is it same as jimmy nobath saville hang our head in shame. you know it is. nickynoodah
  • Score: -4

1:03pm Tue 1 Jul 14

blackdog1 says...

I rest my case!
I rest my case! blackdog1
  • Score: 1

5:46pm Tue 1 Jul 14

S,Bowes says...

nickynoodah wrote:
BarrHumbug wrote:
folkprotector wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads
also cyclists 80 or over test them as well
60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving
keep death of the roads you know it is
and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?
i'm guessing around 4 or 5?
5 year olds now is it
same as jimmy nobath saville
hang our head in shame.
you know it is.
I started on here yesterday and within hours was warned about some of my comment s even though Quite, a lot of people seem to agreed with me,so is there anyone that can explain the original charter of this forum .Is it in order to tolerate the silly comments from people with mental health issues or do we as a community tolerate but not respond to people who are just seeking a attention. This is a serious question about the posting from the lady .I think he name is Nicky .
[quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]folkprotector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads also cyclists 80 or over test them as well 60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving keep death of the roads you know it is[/p][/quote]and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?[/p][/quote]i'm guessing around 4 or 5?[/p][/quote]5 year olds now is it same as jimmy nobath saville hang our head in shame. you know it is.[/p][/quote]I started on here yesterday and within hours was warned about some of my comment s even though Quite, a lot of people seem to agreed with me,so is there anyone that can explain the original charter of this forum .Is it in order to tolerate the silly comments from people with mental health issues or do we as a community tolerate but not respond to people who are just seeking a attention. This is a serious question about the posting from the lady .I think he name is Nicky . S,Bowes
  • Score: 3

6:32pm Tue 1 Jul 14

nickynoodah says...

S,Bowes wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
BarrHumbug wrote:
folkprotector wrote:
nickynoodah wrote:
Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads
also cyclists 80 or over test them as well
60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving
keep death of the roads you know it is
and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?
i'm guessing around 4 or 5?
5 year olds now is it
same as jimmy nobath saville
hang our head in shame.
you know it is.
I started on here yesterday and within hours was warned about some of my comment s even though Quite, a lot of people seem to agreed with me,so is there anyone that can explain the original charter of this forum .Is it in order to tolerate the silly comments from people with mental health issues or do we as a community tolerate but not respond to people who are just seeking a attention. This is a serious question about the posting from the lady .I think he name is Nicky .
very very funny
leave the jokes to me sweetheart
and get back in bed
you know it is
[quote][p][bold]S,Bowes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BarrHumbug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]folkprotector[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nickynoodah[/bold] wrote: Like I have said many times before retest the older drivers say at 50 years they cause too much mayhem on our roads also cyclists 80 or over test them as well 60years old woman posting on here bragging they can barely see and are dead slow but still driving keep death of the roads you know it is[/p][/quote]and how old are you? Will you be happy about being retested at 50 (assuming from your comments that you are younger than that)?[/p][/quote]i'm guessing around 4 or 5?[/p][/quote]5 year olds now is it same as jimmy nobath saville hang our head in shame. you know it is.[/p][/quote]I started on here yesterday and within hours was warned about some of my comment s even though Quite, a lot of people seem to agreed with me,so is there anyone that can explain the original charter of this forum .Is it in order to tolerate the silly comments from people with mental health issues or do we as a community tolerate but not respond to people who are just seeking a attention. This is a serious question about the posting from the lady .I think he name is Nicky .[/p][/quote]very very funny leave the jokes to me sweetheart and get back in bed you know it is nickynoodah
  • Score: -3

6:46pm Tue 1 Jul 14

blackdog1 says...

There are a couple of regular posters on this site that really are no more than Trolls! Nearly every comment they make is completely pointless and either makes no sense whatsoever or tries to wind people up! It ruins the site by having to read silly meaningless drivel! I wish the Echo would monitor some of these silly posters and remove them!
There are a couple of regular posters on this site that really are no more than Trolls! Nearly every comment they make is completely pointless and either makes no sense whatsoever or tries to wind people up! It ruins the site by having to read silly meaningless drivel! I wish the Echo would monitor some of these silly posters and remove them! blackdog1
  • Score: 4

9:46pm Tue 1 Jul 14

nickynoodah says...

blackdog1 wrote:
There are a couple of regular posters on this site that really are no more than Trolls! Nearly every comment they make is completely pointless and either makes no sense whatsoever or tries to wind people up! It ruins the site by having to read silly meaningless drivel! I wish the Echo would monitor some of these silly posters and remove them!
Don't read the trolls comments blackdog I never do, it sounds to me you are depressed and getting worser
Don't let the thumbs down numbers ruin your life, its nowt you know
cheer up treat yourself get yourself to a new motor or even another property take a break your worth it you know blackdog it is.
[quote][p][bold]blackdog1[/bold] wrote: There are a couple of regular posters on this site that really are no more than Trolls! Nearly every comment they make is completely pointless and either makes no sense whatsoever or tries to wind people up! It ruins the site by having to read silly meaningless drivel! I wish the Echo would monitor some of these silly posters and remove them![/p][/quote]Don't read the trolls comments blackdog I never do, it sounds to me you are depressed and getting worser Don't let the thumbs down numbers ruin your life, its nowt you know cheer up treat yourself get yourself to a new motor or even another property take a break your worth it you know blackdog it is. nickynoodah
  • Score: -3

3:02pm Thu 3 Jul 14

JackJohnson says...

Sir Beachy Head wrote:
hamworthygirl wrote:
sarlane wrote:
hamworthygirl wrote:
With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.
Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars.

But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.
Not saying everyone should stop driving when they are older just saying that maybe this particular gent should drive a less powerful car. If you read my post i did say with the greatest respect so as not to insult the man.
Drivers between 55 and 70 {the year they have to retire from motoring]

Their maximum engine capacity must be 998CC or less.
I don't think the size of the car would have made any difference. If the gate was end-on he wouldn't have seen it whether he was in his Jag or a Fiat 500. Hopefully he'll be able to get it sorted and be back on the roads soon. Also, hopefully, the gates can be made safe - soon - so they don't catch anyone else out.
[quote][p][bold]Sir Beachy Head[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sarlane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hamworthygirl[/bold] wrote: With the greatest respect to the man should he be driving a car like that at 80? im 60 and I know my vision is not what it used to and my reactions are slower. Im glad he wasn't badly injured but it maybe time to get a smaller and slower car. The insurance must be high that goes up all the time with age as my dad has found out hes 86 and still driving.[/p][/quote]Try telling that to Sir Stirling Moss who last weekend competed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - he's 85 and perfectly capable of driving, probably much better than the teenager who have just passed their tests. If your eyesight is failing at 60 (I'm 63 and can driver perfectly well) then I suggest you get some glasses and if your reactions are slower, then perhaps you should stop driving. I can still compete in motor events without any problems. Age has nothing to do with it and to those who say the car should be scrapped, you have no idea about the value of classic cars. But I do agree that this article lacks detail which would clarify the story. Sadly standards at the Echo have deteriorated since I worked there.[/p][/quote]Not saying everyone should stop driving when they are older just saying that maybe this particular gent should drive a less powerful car. If you read my post i did say with the greatest respect so as not to insult the man.[/p][/quote]Drivers between 55 and 70 {the year they have to retire from motoring] Their maximum engine capacity must be 998CC or less.[/p][/quote]I don't think the size of the car would have made any difference. If the gate was end-on he wouldn't have seen it whether he was in his Jag or a Fiat 500. Hopefully he'll be able to get it sorted and be back on the roads soon. Also, hopefully, the gates can be made safe - soon - so they don't catch anyone else out. JackJohnson
  • Score: 0

7:36pm Tue 8 Jul 14

old buffer says...

Why does a run-of-the-mill article about an elderly gentleman (who has worked with, and probably owned, Jaguars for decades) hitting a gate on private property and damaging his car create such a furore? No-one died. Let's all try to stop wasting our time and nervous energy on pointless indignation and insults. Some people are perfectly capable of driving or sky-diving into their eighties and nineties, others, sadly, can't remember where they've put their dentures. We all mature and age at different rates, with some much more lucky than others. Now where are the keys to my Ferrari automatic?
Why does a run-of-the-mill article about an elderly gentleman (who has worked with, and probably owned, Jaguars for decades) hitting a gate on private property and damaging his car create such a furore? No-one died. Let's all try to stop wasting our time and nervous energy on pointless indignation and insults. Some people are perfectly capable of driving or sky-diving into their eighties and nineties, others, sadly, can't remember where they've put their dentures. We all mature and age at different rates, with some much more lucky than others. Now where are the keys to my Ferrari automatic? old buffer
  • Score: 1

12:27pm Thu 10 Jul 14

julie777 says...

whataboutthat wrote:
woby_tide wrote:
Another journalistic masterclass.

An incident, but no details what actually happened, why it happened, how it happened, and what has been done to prevent it in future. But we know someone almost/possibly/coul


d have/maybe not/quite nearly died. But didn't.

When is it work experience week for the schools then you might actually get someone in who is prepared to write some details in a report?
Agree - total piffle.
I ALWAYS find when I read reports on here that they leave obvious questions unanswered. Very strange for professional journalists with, presumably, years of study and a degree in journalism.
[quote][p][bold]whataboutthat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woby_tide[/bold] wrote: Another journalistic masterclass. An incident, but no details what actually happened, why it happened, how it happened, and what has been done to prevent it in future. But we know someone almost/possibly/coul d have/maybe not/quite nearly died. But didn't. When is it work experience week for the schools then you might actually get someone in who is prepared to write some details in a report?[/p][/quote]Agree - total piffle.[/p][/quote]I ALWAYS find when I read reports on here that they leave obvious questions unanswered. Very strange for professional journalists with, presumably, years of study and a degree in journalism. julie777
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree