TWO men received burns after an explosion was reported at a Poole dry cleaning shop this afternoon.

The incident took place at SJB Dry Cleaning in Lower Blandford Road, Broadstone, when two service engineers were working in the shop.

Emergency services were called shortly before 4pm, with police and two fire crews at the scene.

The two men, aged 30 and 67, were taken to Poole Hospital for treatment to burns.

A Dorset Police spokesman said: “Dorset Police received a report of an explosion at a dry cleaners in Lower Blandford Road.”

The cause was not known and the Health and Safety Executive has been informed.

Simon Barker, owner of SJB Dry Cleaning, said: “We had service engineers working in here at the time, when a failure with one of the machines caused two of them injuries.

“They were then taken to Poole Hospital for treatment, but I do not believe that they are in a life-threatening condition.”

Lara Bunter, senior negotiator at Goadsby estate agents, said: “There were two fire engines, two police cars and a police van, and an ambulance.

“They arrived right outside as we are just down the road from where it happened.

“There were a couple, a man and a woman, stood outside the dry cleaners, who just looked very distressed as they waited for the fire service and ushered them in when they arrived.

“There were a lot of people stood around watching, mainly made up of school children and staff from the shops. Initially, the firemen went in with hoses, but returned them to the fire engine soon after.”

Alex Griffs, of Griff’s Butchers, said: “I saw a lady run out of the shop and she looked quite frantic when the fire service arrived. She was just ushering them in.”

A spokesperson for South West Ambulance Service confirmed it was called to the scene at 3.53pm following reports the explosion had resulted in two casualties. She added that two ambulances and a paramedic in a fast response vehicle attended the scene.

“One patient was treated for facial injuries and another for shock,” she said. “Both of them were taken to Poole Hospital.”