Residents fury as Royal Mail moves Broadstone delivery office to Bournemouth

Residents are petitioning Royal Mail

Residents are petitioning Royal Mail

First published in News
Last updated
by

BROADSTONE residents are incensed that Royal Mail is moving its delivery office to Bournemouth.

Instead of a short trip to Witney Road on Canford Heath to collect undelivered post and parcels, they will have to travel to Winton – a round trip of 6.6 miles.

“There are a lot of elderly people around here who aren’t driving anymore and are using the bus and are going to find it very difficult,” said Jennifer Jefferies of Beacon Road.

Law student Neil McDonald of Ridgeway said: “I often have books delivered which come when I’m at classes. It can be a bit of a nightmare.”

Sally Walls of Beech Close said: “I work hard and I order online. That’s going to affect me twice a week.”

Royal Mail’s letter to customers in the BH18 postcode area was delivered with junk mail and said from Monday June 23 mail delivery operations were being transferred from the Broadstone Delivery office at Witney Road to the Winton office at Poole Lane.

This will affect mail without the correct postage and larger items when no-one is at home, which cannot be left with a neighbour.

Cllr Mike Brooke, who represents the ward on Borough of Poole and runs his own business through mail order said: “I’m taking parcels down there two or three times a week. Every time I go there is someone from Broadstone collecting something.”

He added: “This is going to have a significant impact on the community.” And he questioned why a temporary building could not be kept on the site for Broadstone residents.

Royal Mail’s alternatives are for residents to phone and make arrangements for another free delivery or for a fee of 75p it can be delivered to the local Post Office.

“Payment has been made before it goes into the post box,” said Mrs Jefferies, and questioned why the postman could not drop off undelivered post at Broadstone Post Office.

“We have one of the most popular post offices around,” said Cllr Vikki Slade. “That would help to keep the local post office going.”

The petition can be found at change.org/petitions/we-urge-royal-mail-to-reconsider-their-decision-to-re-site-the-broadstone-delivery-office-to-winton.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:28am Mon 23 Jun 14

RageAgainstTheMachine says...

This article is completely confusing and contradicts itself. The Winton delivery office is situated on the West Howe industrial estate at the top end of Poole lane near Matalan etc! It's nowhere near Winton.
This article is completely confusing and contradicts itself. The Winton delivery office is situated on the West Howe industrial estate at the top end of Poole lane near Matalan etc! It's nowhere near Winton. RageAgainstTheMachine
  • Score: 22

11:30am Mon 23 Jun 14

BoscVegas says...

Neil McDonald & Sally Walls, amazon deliver to a number of drop off points so there is really no need to miss your deliveries as you can go and collect them from drop off point. specifically:
CollectPlus at MCCOLLS
217 The Broadway, Broadstone BH18 8DN
Mon, Tue, Thur: 06:00 - 18:00
Wed, Fri, Sat: 06:00 - 19:00
Sun: 07:00 - 13:00
Neil McDonald & Sally Walls, amazon deliver to a number of drop off points so there is really no need to miss your deliveries as you can go and collect them from drop off point. specifically: CollectPlus at MCCOLLS 217 The Broadway, Broadstone BH18 8DN Mon, Tue, Thur: 06:00 - 18:00 Wed, Fri, Sat: 06:00 - 19:00 Sun: 07:00 - 13:00 BoscVegas
  • Score: 12

12:07pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Teddy 1 says...

Contradictory quites from s walls - whats working hard got to do with your post? Cllr slade if broadstone post office is so popular, how would this additional service secure its future?

if broadstone post office is to be used to collect deliveries then maybe we need a better parking system....oh no, I forgot they are building flats in the area!
Contradictory quites from s walls - whats working hard got to do with your post? Cllr slade if broadstone post office is so popular, how would this additional service secure its future? if broadstone post office is to be used to collect deliveries then maybe we need a better parking system....oh no, I forgot they are building flats in the area! Teddy 1
  • Score: 9

12:36pm Mon 23 Jun 14

live-and-let-live says...

so much fury again. surely mildly annoyed is more factual
so much fury again. surely mildly annoyed is more factual live-and-let-live
  • Score: 10

12:38pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Letcommonsenseprevail says...

"We have one of the most popular post offices around,” said Cllr Vikki Slade - what is the source of this data?
"We have one of the most popular post offices around,” said Cllr Vikki Slade - what is the source of this data? Letcommonsenseprevail
  • Score: 4

12:52pm Mon 23 Jun 14

KitKatPuss says...

What about the delivery office in Poole Centre? Or the one at Alder Hills? Can't parcels etc be collected from them instead?
What about the delivery office in Poole Centre? Or the one at Alder Hills? Can't parcels etc be collected from them instead? KitKatPuss
  • Score: 5

2:05pm Mon 23 Jun 14

matt68 says...

This is the start of it now its privatised eventually there will be 1 big office serving all of Poole and Bournemouth as they deliver using vans not bikes blame the tories who sold it cheap and then made money selling their shares the next day
This is the start of it now its privatised eventually there will be 1 big office serving all of Poole and Bournemouth as they deliver using vans not bikes blame the tories who sold it cheap and then made money selling their shares the next day matt68
  • Score: -6

2:05pm Mon 23 Jun 14

matt68 says...

This is the start of it now its privatised eventually there will be 1 big office serving all of Poole and Bournemouth as they deliver using vans not bikes blame the tories who sold it cheap and then made money selling their shares the next day
This is the start of it now its privatised eventually there will be 1 big office serving all of Poole and Bournemouth as they deliver using vans not bikes blame the tories who sold it cheap and then made money selling their shares the next day matt68
  • Score: -6

2:20pm Mon 23 Jun 14

mightyturbo says...

That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.
That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole. mightyturbo
  • Score: 12

4:17pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Bournemouthfan2 says...

mightyturbo wrote:
That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.
You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet!
[quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.[/p][/quote]You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet! Bournemouthfan2
  • Score: 8

4:34pm Mon 23 Jun 14

zipmeister says...

I wrote to Annette Brooke on the 2nd of May outlining these changes and the difficulties that they would cause. I thought she might have chased it up before it was all done and dusted.
I wrote to Annette Brooke on the 2nd of May outlining these changes and the difficulties that they would cause. I thought she might have chased it up before it was all done and dusted. zipmeister
  • Score: 7

6:08pm Mon 23 Jun 14

mightyturbo says...

Bournemouthfan2 wrote:
mightyturbo wrote:
That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.
You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet!
Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.
[quote][p][bold]Bournemouthfan2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.[/p][/quote]You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet![/p][/quote]Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense. mightyturbo
  • Score: 7

6:14pm Mon 23 Jun 14

mightyturbo says...

I'd like to add that for the residents of Creekmoor, it's actually an 11 mile round trip. So Broadstone, we sympathise.
I'd like to add that for the residents of Creekmoor, it's actually an 11 mile round trip. So Broadstone, we sympathise. mightyturbo
  • Score: 3

6:55pm Mon 23 Jun 14

afcdibby says...

What about the poor postman who has a 6.6 mile round trip to try and deliver parcels to people who are out all day.
What about the poor postman who has a 6.6 mile round trip to try and deliver parcels to people who are out all day. afcdibby
  • Score: 1

7:47pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Mandysotherhalf says...

mightyturbo wrote:
I'd like to add that for the residents of Creekmoor, it's actually an 11 mile round trip. So Broadstone, we sympathise.
creekmoor to wallisdown and back 11 miles ?
[quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: I'd like to add that for the residents of Creekmoor, it's actually an 11 mile round trip. So Broadstone, we sympathise.[/p][/quote]creekmoor to wallisdown and back 11 miles ? Mandysotherhalf
  • Score: -4

9:04pm Mon 23 Jun 14

lioneart23 says...

mightyturbo wrote:
Bournemouthfan2 wrote:
mightyturbo wrote:
That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.
You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet!
Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.
Royal Mail work on Saturdays so why do you say redelivery is likely to be in the week you obviously don't order much so stop complaining
[quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bournemouthfan2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.[/p][/quote]You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet![/p][/quote]Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.[/p][/quote]Royal Mail work on Saturdays so why do you say redelivery is likely to be in the week you obviously don't order much so stop complaining lioneart23
  • Score: -1

9:06pm Mon 23 Jun 14

lioneart23 says...

mightyturbo wrote:
Bournemouthfan2 wrote:
mightyturbo wrote:
That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.
You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet!
Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.
Stop moaning Royalmail work on Saturdays get it redelivered then you obviously don't order much otherwise you would know that
[quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bournemouthfan2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.[/p][/quote]You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet![/p][/quote]Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.[/p][/quote]Stop moaning Royalmail work on Saturdays get it redelivered then you obviously don't order much otherwise you would know that lioneart23
  • Score: -3

9:13pm Mon 23 Jun 14

crazybird says...

Why oh why do people have to whinge about things they can do nothing about. Winton Delivery Office as so rightly pointed out above is on Poole Lane not Winton - so living in Winton myself I have a round trip of 8 miles. Get over it people - I'm sure the energy wasted in ranting about it could be better put to use elsewhere. For instance you could nominate one of the crossed arms brigade to go to the delivery office once a week - they are open til late on a Wednesday!
Why oh why do people have to whinge about things they can do nothing about. Winton Delivery Office as so rightly pointed out above is on Poole Lane not Winton - so living in Winton myself I have a round trip of 8 miles. Get over it people - I'm sure the energy wasted in ranting about it could be better put to use elsewhere. For instance you could nominate one of the crossed arms brigade to go to the delivery office once a week - they are open til late on a Wednesday! crazybird
  • Score: 1

10:16pm Mon 23 Jun 14

mightyturbo says...

lioneart23 wrote:
mightyturbo wrote:
Bournemouthfan2 wrote:
mightyturbo wrote:
That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.
You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet!
Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.
Stop moaning Royalmail work on Saturdays get it redelivered then you obviously don't order much otherwise you would know that
Collection is not unreasonable. Travelling 11 miles to do so is? If someone would like to point out where I said collection was entirely unacceptable, please do so. My point is that Broadstone residents now face a 6 mile round trip, yet Creekmoor residents have had nearly double for some time.
[quote][p][bold]lioneart23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bournemouthfan2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mightyturbo[/bold] wrote: That'll be like living in Creekmoor and having to collect from Alder hills........5.4 miles away and completely ridiculous. I for one cannot understand why the PO site on Nuffield can't be used or even Poole.[/p][/quote]You can request a redelivery via the online missed delivery service if you are out when the postman/woman attempts to deliver. This is what I do with any missed deliveries, I find it useful as you can select a re-delivery day more convenient to you. Of course this is not much help if you are not on the internet![/p][/quote]Very true, however, a redelivery is likely to be during the week which is a problem if you work. I don't mind driving to collect a parcel within reason, what I do mind is contending with Herbert Avenue or Wallisdown road. It simply doesn't make sense.[/p][/quote]Stop moaning Royalmail work on Saturdays get it redelivered then you obviously don't order much otherwise you would know that[/p][/quote]Collection is not unreasonable. Travelling 11 miles to do so is? If someone would like to point out where I said collection was entirely unacceptable, please do so. My point is that Broadstone residents now face a 6 mile round trip, yet Creekmoor residents have had nearly double for some time. mightyturbo
  • Score: 7

11:57pm Mon 23 Jun 14

s-pb2 says...

Isnt it obvious to even the dimmest here is that Broadstone is moving because its current location was never designed to hold a DO. It was only a temporary measure.

And those complaining about the Winton office's location need to realise they moved out of Brassey Road because they outgrew that office and there was no alternative in Winton. It kept the name because Royal Mail is a national organisation and changing it would confuse staff outside of Bournemouth.
Isnt it obvious to even the dimmest here is that Broadstone is moving because its current location was never designed to hold a DO. It was only a temporary measure. And those complaining about the Winton office's location need to realise they moved out of Brassey Road because they outgrew that office and there was no alternative in Winton. It kept the name because Royal Mail is a national organisation and changing it would confuse staff outside of Bournemouth. s-pb2
  • Score: 0

8:35am Tue 24 Jun 14

spooki says...

afcdibby wrote:
What about the poor postman who has a 6.6 mile round trip to try and deliver parcels to people who are out all day.
If people work full time, why do they order things if they're not going to be at home to receive them? Then they complain when they have to go and stand in a queue to collect them!
[quote][p][bold]afcdibby[/bold] wrote: What about the poor postman who has a 6.6 mile round trip to try and deliver parcels to people who are out all day.[/p][/quote]If people work full time, why do they order things if they're not going to be at home to receive them? Then they complain when they have to go and stand in a queue to collect them! spooki
  • Score: 1

9:54am Tue 24 Jun 14

LornaBournemouth says...

So get packets left with a neighbour, there is also a phone number to get items redelivered at a different date!
So get packets left with a neighbour, there is also a phone number to get items redelivered at a different date! LornaBournemouth
  • Score: 1

2:56pm Tue 24 Jun 14

matt68 says...

you can request they leave package at a local po if not in once they have tried to deliver i have done it or redeliver mon-sat what is the problem?
you can request they leave package at a local po if not in once they have tried to deliver i have done it or redeliver mon-sat what is the problem? matt68
  • Score: -1

8:02pm Tue 24 Jun 14

rubberbandman5 says...

Now let me see, PPC for MPND , an MP's old man, Lib Dems out hunting for votes. The public are not fools Lib Dems, you serve Europe and not local people (78%) who want a vote on Europe.
The Lib Dems think we don't know that they will always talk about problems - and that is because they do not know how to resolve complex issues. Plenty of examples with Mrs Brookes and her photo opportunities in the press?
Now let me see, PPC for MPND , an MP's old man, Lib Dems out hunting for votes. The public are not fools Lib Dems, you serve Europe and not local people (78%) who want a vote on Europe. The Lib Dems think we don't know that they will always talk about problems - and that is because they do not know how to resolve complex issues. Plenty of examples with Mrs Brookes and her photo opportunities in the press? rubberbandman5
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree