A VIDEO calling for lifts to be installed at Pokesdown Railway Station has been made by disabled campaigners.
Produced by charity Access Dorset, the video shows Bournemouth resident Kelvin Trevett being repeatedly told there is no way for him to access the station platform in his wheelchair.
It is set as if shot over several decades, with a newspaper stand marking various landmarks in the development of disabled people’s rights since 1960.
Transport minister Stephen Hammond is due to visit the station – currently only accessible via 42 steps – to discuss the issue with residents next month.
Steve McCarthy, 46, who is blind and plays the newspaper seller, said: “It is very difficult for me to get off at Pokesdown and impossible for others.
“A lot has changed for disabled people over the last 20 years or so, but not at this station, that is what we wanted to get across.”
Access Dorset CEO Jonathan Waddington-Jones said: “We are 100 per cent behind the campaign to make this station accessible and hope this film, made by our volunteers, will put a bit more pressure on South West Trains.”
A campaign to get lifts installed at the station was started earlier this year by Pokesdown Community Forum, supported by Access Dorset and other businesses and community organisations in the area.
Forum secretary Andy Jones said: “We thought the video was excellent, it underlines the plight of people struggling to access the station.”
A petition backing the campaign has received nearly 1,300 signatures, and Mr Hammond is due to visit the station on Monday, July 28, having been invited by Bournemouth East MP Tobias Ellwood.
“We have been waiting a few weeks for this visit so to have it all arranged at last is a significant step forward for us. We would like to have a good number of residents at the station on the day. We will be discussing our plans next week,” said Mr Jones.