When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Yellow Buses to meet with West Howe residents over suspension of bus service after spate of vandalism
BUS bosses will meet with West Howe residents today to discuss the suspension of the evening 5b service.
In April, the service was suspended in the evenings after 6pm due to vandalism and anti-social behaviour, including an air gun or BB gun being fired at one bus, and a bed being dragged in front of another.
Yellow Buses managing director Andrew Smith will meet residents at the Henry Brown Youth Centre in Cunningham Crescent at 6.30pm to discuss whether the service might be restored.
Councillor Jane Kelly, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “We are urging residents and those who use this route to come to the meeting and show their support for this much needed evening bus service.
“We want to show Yellow Buses that the service is needed, and the strength of feeling in West Howe against its withdrawal.”
Back on April 7, when the 5b service linking West Howe and Kinson along Montgomery Avenue was suspended, the company listed ten incidents in the last year of objects being thrown at buses, including eggs and stones.
It said there were alternative buses along Moore Avenue and Poole Lane. At the time, a spokesman said they could not give a timetable for when the service might be resumed until satisfied the problem was dealt with.
The meeting was arranged with Bournemouth Council and Dorset Police.
Councillor Michael Filer, cabinet member for transport, said: “We are, of course, very disappointed that Yellow Buses has had to withdrawn the 5b in the evenings along Montgomery Avenue in West Howe.
“We understand that this follows several acts of vandalism on the routes. These destructive acts by the minority have made life very inconvenient for the many decent and well-behaved people who live in the area.”
Comments are closed on this article.