UPDATE: Cyclist taken to hospital after collision with lorry on Dorchester Road in Oakdale, Poole

Cyclist taken to hospital after collision with lorry in Poole

Cyclist taken to hospital after collision with lorry in Poole

Picture sent in by Sarah Oliver

First published in News
Last updated
by

A CYCLIST has been taken to hospital after a collision with a lorry in the Oakdale area of Poole.

Emergency services received reports of a cyclist trapped under a vehicle on Dorchester Road, at the junction with Wingfield Avenue, close to Scott Baines Estate Agents, at around 12.20pm.

A man in his 20s from Poole received hip and leg injuries during the incident, which are not believed to be life-threatening.

The Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance was called to the scene, but stood down once the cyclist’s condition was assessed and he was taken to Poole Hospital by staff from South Western Ambulance Service.

It is believed that the driver of the lorry, registered to a company from Devon, did not sustain any injuries.

Graham Wilkins, Transport Supervisor for Vital Pet Products, said: “The driver of the lorry was very shaken and obviously it was very traumatic for him, but I think he will be okay.”

Emma Lyall from Ammara Nails and Beauty, said: “I just heard the cyclist calling out for help and I went to go and find out what was happening. The emergency services on the phone told me to check him over to see what injuries he had, which I tried to do, until the ambulance arrived.”

Sarah Oliver, branch manager of Scott Baines Estate Agents, said: “He told one of our colleagues to ring his dad, which he did. There were lots of people trying to help. Ambulance staff put screens around the cyclist while they worked with him, before he was taken to hospital.”

Officers from Dorset Police closed Oakdale Road from the Canford Heath turn-off to the Dorchester Road junction, as well as cordoning off part of Wingfield Avenue, before the road was fully cleared by 2.35pm.

Two fire engines from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service also made their way to the scene but were not needed.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:48pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Avengerboy says...

Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.
Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle. Avengerboy
  • Score: -24

3:55pm Wed 4 Jun 14

suzigirl says...

Avengerboy wrote:
Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.
How do you work that one out then "cycle hating Echo". You wouldn't be a car hating cyclist by any chance?
[quote][p][bold]Avengerboy[/bold] wrote: Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.[/p][/quote]How do you work that one out then "cycle hating Echo". You wouldn't be a car hating cyclist by any chance? suzigirl
  • Score: 3

3:56pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?
Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ? Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: -12

5:01pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Mindvor says...

Glad he seems to have come off not too bad (considering what might have happened)!
I suspect the Air Ambulance was called just in case his condition required quick transport to a specialist location, hence the text "The Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance was called to the scene, but stood down once the cyclist’s condition was assessed..."
Glad he seems to have come off not too bad (considering what might have happened)! I suspect the Air Ambulance was called just in case his condition required quick transport to a specialist location, hence the text "The Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance was called to the scene, but stood down once the cyclist’s condition was assessed..." Mindvor
  • Score: 17

5:39pm Wed 4 Jun 14

boardsandphotos says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?
Why?

Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry.

Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that.

I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?[/p][/quote]Why? Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry. Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that. I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious. boardsandphotos
  • Score: 21

6:53pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Arthur Maureen says...

what a twisted individual you are suzygirl
what a twisted individual you are suzygirl Arthur Maureen
  • Score: 6

6:54pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Arthur Maureen says...

Avengerboy wrote:
Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.
agreed, mostly from suzygirl
[quote][p][bold]Avengerboy[/bold] wrote: Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.[/p][/quote]agreed, mostly from suzygirl Arthur Maureen
  • Score: 1

7:56pm Wed 4 Jun 14

scrumpyjack says...

Arthur Maureen wrote:
Avengerboy wrote:
Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.
agreed, mostly from suzygirl
Also agree.
[quote][p][bold]Arthur Maureen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Avengerboy[/bold] wrote: Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.[/p][/quote]agreed, mostly from suzygirl[/p][/quote]Also agree. scrumpyjack
  • Score: 2

9:14am Thu 5 Jun 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

boardsandphotos wrote:
Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?
Why?

Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry.

Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that.

I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.
I found it rather curious simply because paramedics could have run from Poole hospital quicker than the Air ambulance could have got there, and it is estimated that an Air ambulance call out cost them £2.500. I too hope the injured cyclist has a speedy recovery
[quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?[/p][/quote]Why? Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry. Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that. I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.[/p][/quote]I found it rather curious simply because paramedics could have run from Poole hospital quicker than the Air ambulance could have got there, and it is estimated that an Air ambulance call out cost them £2.500. I too hope the injured cyclist has a speedy recovery Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: -3

9:32am Thu 5 Jun 14

boardsandphotos says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?
Why?

Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry.

Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that.

I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.
I found it rather curious simply because paramedics could have run from Poole hospital quicker than the Air ambulance could have got there, and it is estimated that an Air ambulance call out cost them £2.500. I too hope the injured cyclist has a speedy recovery
With potential severe internal, possibly cranial injuries it's possible he would've needed to go to a specialist unit that Poole doesn't have. (he was run over by a lorry after all)
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?[/p][/quote]Why? Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry. Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that. I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.[/p][/quote]I found it rather curious simply because paramedics could have run from Poole hospital quicker than the Air ambulance could have got there, and it is estimated that an Air ambulance call out cost them £2.500. I too hope the injured cyclist has a speedy recovery[/p][/quote]With potential severe internal, possibly cranial injuries it's possible he would've needed to go to a specialist unit that Poole doesn't have. (he was run over by a lorry after all) boardsandphotos
  • Score: 2

10:08am Thu 5 Jun 14

suzigirl says...

Arthur Maureen wrote:
Avengerboy wrote: Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.
agreed, mostly from suzygirl
Same old, same old - change the record mate!
[quote][p][bold]Arthur Maureen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Avengerboy[/bold] wrote: Oh grief a cyclist story in the cycle hating Echo, cue ...... twaddle.[/p][/quote]agreed, mostly from suzygirl[/p][/quote]Same old, same old - change the record mate! suzigirl
  • Score: -6

10:23am Thu 5 Jun 14

folkprotector says...

Cyclist? Motorist? Both? Tolerance all round is what we need... plus more of following the laws of the land.
How many cyclists and motorists know what's in the current edition of the Highway Code? How many know the content of ANY edition of the Highway Code?
Just a thought...
Cyclist? Motorist? Both? Tolerance all round is what we need... plus more of following the laws of the land. How many cyclists and motorists know what's in the current edition of the Highway Code? How many know the content of ANY edition of the Highway Code? Just a thought... folkprotector
  • Score: -1

11:53am Thu 5 Jun 14

leotuttle says...

looking at his bike. looks like he had a lucky escape
looking at his bike. looks like he had a lucky escape leotuttle
  • Score: 3

2:23pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Simon7 says...

boardsandphotos wrote:
Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?
Why?

Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry.

Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that.

I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.
When a 999 call comes in with info such as cyclist trapped under lorry it makes sense to mobilise the air ambulance and specialist services from the time of call. Once services arrive on scene they can then assess the situation and always turn back the air ambulance. If they get there then decide the air ambulance is required then 10 minutes has already been lost.

They work on the golden hour which is one hour to get the casualty to definitive care (hospital operating theatre) from time of the accident.

You can get a rough idea from a 99 call from a member of public, a lot of the times they are in shock at the scene they are witnessing plus they have no medical knowledge. Yes Poole is only 5 minutes drive away but had it been more serious then Southampton is a lot further. By road the golden hour would not have been achieved.

I hope you can know see the bigger picture
[quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: Why on earth did they call out the Air ambulance if it was leg injuries so close to Poole hospital ?[/p][/quote]Why? Well because a person was hit by and then trapped under a lorry. Are you assuming that the full extent of the injuries were known prior to the air ambulance being called? There isn't always time for that. I hope the guy has a quick recovery, glad it wasn't more serious.[/p][/quote]When a 999 call comes in with info such as cyclist trapped under lorry it makes sense to mobilise the air ambulance and specialist services from the time of call. Once services arrive on scene they can then assess the situation and always turn back the air ambulance. If they get there then decide the air ambulance is required then 10 minutes has already been lost. They work on the golden hour which is one hour to get the casualty to definitive care (hospital operating theatre) from time of the accident. You can get a rough idea from a 99 call from a member of public, a lot of the times they are in shock at the scene they are witnessing plus they have no medical knowledge. Yes Poole is only 5 minutes drive away but had it been more serious then Southampton is a lot further. By road the golden hour would not have been achieved. I hope you can know see the bigger picture Simon7
  • Score: 7

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree