A MAN broke into a police station in the early hours of the morning because he wanted to speak to officers, a court has heard.

Dean Hunt, pictured, of Turbary Park Avenue, Bournemouth, managed to force his way into the custody yard at Bournemouth Police Station through the main gate in a case that “highlights a security lapse” at the facility, his solicitor said.

The 50-year-old was cap-tured on CCTV cameras kicking the entry gate at 2.10am on March 30 this year, before he then gained access to the yard beyond and was apprehended by a sergeant.

Prosecuting, Nicola Reece said: “The male had made it into the custody yard, where he was stopped.

“Members of the public don’t have access to this area.”

She said officers noted that he “smelled strongly” of alcohol, and he quickly became abusive, shouting and swearing at the police.

“He said, ‘I would bomb you but I’m not a Muslim’,” she said. “When interviewed, he said he was on bail for another matter.

“He was due to report back on March 27, but had not attended, and in the early hours of the following Sunday morning became concerned that he hadn’t answered bail. He went to hand himself in.”

But as a result of funding cuts, the police station was closed, Ms Reece said.

“He went to the main gates instead,” she added.

“He later explained that he had just wanted to see the police.”

Mark Proctor, mitigating, said: “It was not an appropriate response but unfortunately that’s what is likely to happen when Dorset no longer has 24-hour manned desks and people want to raise attention of something.

“It has highlighted a security lapse – he has managed to make his way into custody and people may manage to find their way out.”

Hunt admitted using threatening or abusive language with intent to cause fear of or provoke unlawful violence, criminal damage and being drunk and disorderly in a public place at Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court.

He was sentenced to a 12-month supervision order, with the requirements that he must be supervised by the Probation Service and serve an alcohol treatment requirement for six months.

He was also ordered to pay a total of £155 in costs.