With a jam-packed schedule of events for the first-ever Bournemouth Wheels Festival, who needs the glitz and glamour of the Monaco grand prix?
We’ve got all the action on our doorstep this Bank Holiday weekend, so here is a taster of what’s on, plus our top picks of what to see over the weekend – in no particular order!
1. Monster trucks? On Bournemouth beach? YES! – check out Team BIGFOOT who will be carrying out car crashing stunts and other antics throughout the weekend from 12noon until 6pm over the weekend and on Monday from 11am-5pm.
And if that’s not enough excitement for you, there will be the chance to have a ride in them between performances.
There is grandstand seating for those who fancy a rest between zones as well!
Lisa Harris monsterphotos.co.uk
2. Want to see Formula One cars tear along a special course on the East Cliff?
Then head to the demonstration straight to see four groups of six cars – Formula One, Le Mans, supercars and two Moto GP bikes – race along the specially-made course.
Michael Schumacher’s 1992 Benetton, a 1989 Camel Lotus 101 once driven by Nelson Piquet and a 1984 Toleman which had Ayrton Senna behind the wheel, will all be part of the very unique extravaganza.
Some of the cars which took part in the 24 Hours of Le Mans will also be on display including the Ferrari Daytona Competition raced by Maranello Concessionaires in the 1970s.
Plus, the Ferrari TRC 500 which finished seventh in the 1957 race and a Ford GT40 raced by Jochen Rindt and Lotus Formula One driver Innes Ireland.
Also, taking to the demo straight will be the 2001 Orange Arrows A22 driven by Jos Verstappen, and the 1987 Arrows A10 Megatron Turbo driven by former British racing driver Derek Warwick.
There will be action from 10am-6.30pm at the weekend and from 10am-5pm on Monday.
3. Watch the first ever attempt by a motorcyclist to jump over Bournemouth’s Pier on Saturday and Sunday evenings. The daredevil stunt has never been done before so get ready to cheer the riders on and witness a piece of record-breaking history.
4. Like the thought of owning a supercar or want to check out a racing model? Then get yourself along to the BIC over the Bank Holiday weekend to gaze at the Supercar Show which will have with some of the most sought-after vehicles of all time on display.
5. Do you have an aspiring BMX rider or skater in the family? Well why not take them to see the freewheel stunts of Team Extreme who will be carrying out four shows a day along with coaching youngsters – or older adventurers – on certain stunts. There will be four shows a day at the cycle village on Bournemouth Pier Approach.
6. Paralympic fever will be revived with a range of wheelchair sports being shown during the weekend at Pier Approach. Visitors can take part, have their picture taken with the Sochi Paralympic torch and learn more about the incredible Paralympic movement.
The Sochi torch
7. Love teddy bears? Got a bike? Then we have the perfect event for you. As well as the Bears on Bikes, there will be a host of other cycling related events on Monday evening including the Watch the Wheels Relay Challenge, an elite race with speeds of up to 40mph and the spectacular Night Glow special. Click here for more details.
8. Dakar Rally desert cars will be tearing up the sand over the weekend with demonstrations from midday alongside military vehicle and displays from the Royal Navy and Army.
9. Motocross fans, there is also something to satisfy your appetite over the weekend with Freestyle Motocross FMX experts performing crazy stunts and jumps – not just over Bournemouth Pier. With regular shows from 1pm-7pm there is no excuse to miss out.
10. Vintage Cars - And for those, who prefer something a little more sedate, a slower pace from the action of jumps, stunts and daredevil freewheeling, then take yourself down to the Pavilion for an exclusive gathering of vintage cars. The assembly will celebrate one of the best motoring gatherings of the era, the first ever Concours d’Elegance and will see more than 50 prestige marques such as Rolls Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, Talbot, MG, Riley and Frazer Nash.
For more information about what's happening at the Wheel Festival, check out our section dedicated to the event here