Workers evacuated after chemical scare in commercial unit at Ferndown Industrial Estate

VIDEO: Fire crews called to lithium batteries incident in Ferndown

Picture by Sally Adams

Picture by Sally Adams

Picture by Sally Adams

Picture submitted by reader

Picture submitted by reader

First published in News
Last updated

AROUND 80 workers were evacuated this afternoon after lithium batteries overheated in a unit on the Ferndown Industrial Estate, triggering a major fire service response.

The ambulance service was also called to the scene at Cobham Road and one woman was taken to hospital to be checked over.

Nobody else was injured in the incident, which firefighters managed to isolate to one room.

In all, six fire appliances were sent to the scene.

Station manager Richard Coleman explained that having around 40 firefighters there was a precaution. Crews faced a tricky situation, as water cannot be used on the type of batteries involved.

Mr Coleman told the Daily Echo at the scene: “We’ve been helping with an incident that we were called to, which involved some overheating battery components.

“There was an acrid smell and popping noise coming out of the room.

“We have had crews with breathing apparatus ventilating the room and making the batteries safe.

“It doesn’t happen very often, but from time to time there are problems with certain types of lithium batteries.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree