A MOTHER and baby were rescued by firefighters after a fire broke out in their home this morning.

At just before 7am fire crews scrambled to the property in Shaftesbury and had force their way into the building.

The mother and her two-year-old child, who were upstairs at the time, were rescued by firefighters and brought to safety.

A spokesman from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “A call was received just before 7am from a female reporting her house on fire. Both the female and baby were in an upstairs bedroom.

“On arrival crews reported smoke issuing from property and needed to make forced entry. Both the female and baby were rescued safely.”

The fire crews located a small fire in the kitchen of the property which they extinguished upon their arrival.

A spokesman from South Western Ambulance said the mother and child were treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.