A STUDENT has died after falling 10 storeys from a student accommodation block in Bournemouth last night.

Emergency services including police, fire and ambulance, were called to Lyme Regis House, next to Bournemouth University's Executive Business Centre in Holdenhurst Road at midnight.

They were responding to reports a man had fallen from the 10th floor window.

Once at the scene, officers located the 20-year-old on a flat roof but despite the attempts of the emergency services, they were unable to resuscitate him.

The man's next of kin have been informed.

Staff at the block referred callers this morning to the building operators, Campus Living Villages, who manage the facility on behalf of Bournemouth University.

A spokesperson from the university said: "Bournemouth University is sorry to confirm that a student has died following a fall from Lyme Regis House this morning, Friday, April 4.

"Emergency services attended the scene and the student's next of kin have been informed. Bournemouth University is working with Campus Living Villages, who own and operate the Halls of Residence on behalf of the university.

"Bournemouth University is working closely with the Students' Union and student support services to provide support for students and staff affected."

This morning students told the Daily Echo police officers had to smash through a window of a first floor flat to reach the man.

Alex King who lives on the first floor of the building said he heard a loud noise outside but didn’t realize what had happened until police officers knocked on his door.

The 20-year-old said: “I heard a loud bang but we didn’t know what it was. Then the police knocked on our door and came into our flat. They had to smash our kitchen window to get to him.”

One student, who asked not to be named, said most people living in the building only heard of the tragedy this morning.

She said: “I didn’t hear anything. My flat mate told me about it this morning.”

She added: “It’s heartbreaking. My thoughts go out to all his friends and family.”

The man is the second student from the university to die in less than a month, Talented budding journalist Tayla Woodard died in the early hours of Sunday, March 9 at a house in London.

The third-year student was in her final year of a Bachelor of Arts degree in multimedia journalism.

As well as studying in the town, Tayla worked at the university’s student union, The Old Fire Station in Holdenhurst Road.

Her death is being treated as unexplained.