King's Arms in Wareham open for business after thatch fire on Monday

Customers evacuated from Wareham pub due to thatch blaze

Customers evacuated from Wareham pub after thatch blaze

Ralph Breeds

First published in News
Last updated
by

SPECIALIST fire fighting equipment was used to tackle a blaze in a pub’s thatched roof.

Staff at the King’s Arms in Wareham were alerted by a passer-by who spotted sparks leaping from the chimney just before 8pm last night.

The pub was evacuated and Dorset Fire and Rescue set to work tackling the flames, which had spread from an open fire through some brickwork to the thatched roof.

Crews from four fire engines used a special firefighting foam system and a hose reel jet to put out the fire at the North street pub. They were assisted by a local farmer.

Landlady Julia Ballard and her partner Ralph Breeds ensured around 20 customers using the pub at the time were led to safety and the pub remained closed for the evening. It is open for business as usual today.

Mr Breeds told the Daily Echo: “We were very lucky that someone saw the sparks before the fire had spread any further. We can’t praise Dorset Fire and Rescue enough for their quick response and the way they dealt with the fire.

“We were not very busy so there were only about 20 people in at the time and we managed to get them all out safely.”

Fire crews from Wareham and Poole were first on the scene and were then joined by a further engine with specialist equipment on board and a command support unit from Hamworthy fire station.

The fire was under control by 11.30pm and a crew from Wareham returned to inspect the property at 2am. A thermal imaging camera was used to ensure there were no remaining hotspots.

Around 20 per cent of the thatch was damaged.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:03pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Net Turner says...

That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.
That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that. Net Turner
  • Score: -5

10:56pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Yankee1 says...

Net Turner wrote:
That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.
I think a pint a day for a year is in order!
[quote][p][bold]Net Turner[/bold] wrote: That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.[/p][/quote]I think a pint a day for a year is in order! Yankee1
  • Score: 1

9:03am Wed 19 Mar 14

scrumpyjack says...

Net Turner wrote:
That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.
Person sees a fire and tells someone?

Woah why isn't this the main headline eh.......?
[quote][p][bold]Net Turner[/bold] wrote: That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.[/p][/quote]Person sees a fire and tells someone? Woah why isn't this the main headline eh.......? scrumpyjack
  • Score: -1

1:03pm Thu 20 Mar 14

Net Turner says...

scrumpyjack wrote:
Net Turner wrote:
That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.
Person sees a fire and tells someone?

Woah why isn't this the main headline eh.......?
Well next time he or me see something like that then sod them. Let them get on with it. Looks like no one likes anyones help anymore anyway. Its not like she cared anyway the landlady, she didnt even listen to my partner when he told her about the chimney on fire in the first place.
[quote][p][bold]scrumpyjack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Net Turner[/bold] wrote: That passer by was happened to my my partner. If it wasn't for him who saved them, the whole place would of gone up in flames. It would be nice to thank him for that.[/p][/quote]Person sees a fire and tells someone? Woah why isn't this the main headline eh.......?[/p][/quote]Well next time he or me see something like that then sod them. Let them get on with it. Looks like no one likes anyones help anymore anyway. Its not like she cared anyway the landlady, she didnt even listen to my partner when he told her about the chimney on fire in the first place. Net Turner
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree