Three of UK’s best beaches are right here in Dorset according to Trip Advisor poll

BEST IN BRITAIN: The beach at Hengistbury Head

GREAT: Sandbanks

First published in News
Last updated
by

THREE of the best beaches in the country are right here on our doorstep in Dorset, according to a new poll published today.

Hengistbury Head in Bournemouth, Sandbanks in Poole and Weymouth Beach have been named in the UK’s top ten beaches listed by the TripAdvisor company.

Chris Saunders, Bournemouth tourism seafront and business development manager, said: “Bournemouth Tourism is delighted that Hengistbury Head has been named fourth best beach in the UK and 16th in Europe by Trip Advisor’s Annual Travellers’ Choice Beaches awards.

“As a Special Area for Conservation, it is a stunning location for visitors and residents to see and spend time, with some great facilities including a cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays, which is opening this spring.

“We are extremely pleased that it has been recognised for the beautiful beach that it is, complementing Bournemouth’s seven miles of award winning beach equipped with fantastic facilities and attractions, which make the town a brilliant beach destination for all ages.”

Cllr Xena Dion, spokesman for Poole council’s leisure and culture said: “Our beaches are an extremely important part of our environment. “Not only are they a major attraction for visitors but they work to protect against coastal erosion.

“We work very hard to maintain our beaches to a high standard and it is fantastic that Sandbanks has been recognised as one of the country’s top 10 beaches in what is a very influential website.

“We are very proud that Sandbanks has achieved the most Blue Flags of any beach in the country and it is popular with both tourists and residents.

“It is great that Sandbanks has been recognised for the beautiful beach that we all know and love, as part of Poole’s three and a half miles of glorious sandy beaches.”

James Kay, TripAdvisor spokesperson, said: “These awards recognise the best beaches in the UK according to the travellers that have visited and given them the highest levels of praise.”

The awards are based on the quality and quantity of reviews over a 12 month period.

Top ten
1. Rhossili Bay, Gower, Wales
2. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
3. Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
4. Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
5. Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
6. Longsands Beach, Tynemouth, North Tyneside
7. Weymouth Beach, Weymouth, Dorset
8. Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
9. Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset
10. Nairn Beach, Nairn, Scotland

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:34am Tue 18 Mar 14

whataboutthat says...

Oh no - there goes the neighbourhood.. The last thing HH needs is this kind of validation. If the council think queues on the footpaths is a sign of success then it's no wonder they want the land train business. To me the place is f#cked. I no longer walk or swim there.
Oh no - there goes the neighbourhood.. The last thing HH needs is this kind of validation. If the council think queues on the footpaths is a sign of success then it's no wonder they want the land train business. To me the place is f#cked. I no longer walk or swim there. whataboutthat
  • Score: -5

6:14am Tue 18 Mar 14

poole man in france says...

The beaches may be beautiful, but the water temperature is hardly encouraging to visit them for anything other than a walk.
The beaches may be beautiful, but the water temperature is hardly encouraging to visit them for anything other than a walk. poole man in france
  • Score: -6

6:33am Tue 18 Mar 14

Phixer says...

“As a Special Area for Conservation, it is a stunning location for visitors and residents to see and spend time, with some great facilities including a cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays, which is opening this spring."

What a sign of the times when millions of taxpayers money is needed to ruin a 'Special Area for Conservation' for the sake of an award.
“As a Special Area for Conservation, it is a stunning location for visitors and residents to see and spend time, with some great facilities including a cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays, which is opening this spring." What a sign of the times when millions of taxpayers money is needed to ruin a 'Special Area for Conservation' for the sake of an award. Phixer
  • Score: 6

6:37am Tue 18 Mar 14

Phixer says...

"Three of UK’s best beaches are right here in Dorset according to Trip Advisor poll"

There is no denying that Dorset has some stunning beaches - and they don't have to be sandy or free from seaweed, nor have millions of tax money spent on 'interactive displays' to be enjoyed.

But it is also true that there are some spectacular beaches in Wales and Scotland.
"Three of UK’s best beaches are right here in Dorset according to Trip Advisor poll" There is no denying that Dorset has some stunning beaches - and they don't have to be sandy or free from seaweed, nor have millions of tax money spent on 'interactive displays' to be enjoyed. But it is also true that there are some spectacular beaches in Wales and Scotland. Phixer
  • Score: -4

8:14am Tue 18 Mar 14

Browser123 says...

Phixer wrote:
“As a Special Area for Conservation, it is a stunning location for visitors and residents to see and spend time, with some great facilities including a cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays, which is opening this spring."

What a sign of the times when millions of taxpayers money is needed to ruin a 'Special Area for Conservation' for the sake of an award.
Thought this was funded by the lottery
[quote][p][bold]Phixer[/bold] wrote: “As a Special Area for Conservation, it is a stunning location for visitors and residents to see and spend time, with some great facilities including a cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays, which is opening this spring." What a sign of the times when millions of taxpayers money is needed to ruin a 'Special Area for Conservation' for the sake of an award.[/p][/quote]Thought this was funded by the lottery Browser123
  • Score: 1

8:39am Tue 18 Mar 14

retry69 says...

I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents
I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents retry69
  • Score: 22

9:01am Tue 18 Mar 14

Hessenford says...

retry69 wrote:
I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents
As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents[/p][/quote]As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views. Hessenford
  • Score: -2

9:06am Tue 18 Mar 14

wonderway says...

HH great beach

but stupid council lock gates at 10pm so no one has acess at night then charge a fortune to park day times well done council
HH great beach but stupid council lock gates at 10pm so no one has acess at night then charge a fortune to park day times well done council wonderway
  • Score: -1

10:01am Tue 18 Mar 14

altoman says...

poole man in france wrote:
The beaches may be beautiful, but the water temperature is hardly encouraging to visit them for anything other than a walk.
AH, but the next project for BOURNEMOUTH COUNCIL is to install water heater's in the sea to warm it up.
[quote][p][bold]poole man in france[/bold] wrote: The beaches may be beautiful, but the water temperature is hardly encouraging to visit them for anything other than a walk.[/p][/quote]AH, but the next project for BOURNEMOUTH COUNCIL is to install water heater's in the sea to warm it up. altoman
  • Score: 3

11:29am Tue 18 Mar 14

Bob Bournemouth says...

Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents
As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.
I quite agree. Retry 69 is always negative - don't you have anything nice to say about anything?
[quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents[/p][/quote]As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.[/p][/quote]I quite agree. Retry 69 is always negative - don't you have anything nice to say about anything? Bob Bournemouth
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Tue 18 Mar 14

BarrHumbug says...

I'm not sure what the council have to be so proud about, Sandbanks and HH are praised and yet no mention of the 6 miles of beach in between?
I'm not sure what the council have to be so proud about, Sandbanks and HH are praised and yet no mention of the 6 miles of beach in between? BarrHumbug
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Tue 18 Mar 14

GPS_72 says...

Great to see Sandbanks listed as the Poole beaches are a great asset. Would be nice though if Poole Council would wake up and realise they are used all year round!

We have just had 2 nice weekends in a row and walking from Sandbanks to Bournemouth on both all of the Bournemouth services, ice-cream huts etc were open. In Poole's stretch of beaches, all closed, only the privately owned cafés were open (and very busy)! Even in the peak of summer the cafes in Sandbanks close by around 5:30 so no chance of getting any food or drink if you go out for an evenings walk.

It's about time Poole Council started to appreciate how popular Sandbanks and it's other beaches are and provide better services to users.
Great to see Sandbanks listed as the Poole beaches are a great asset. Would be nice though if Poole Council would wake up and realise they are used all year round! We have just had 2 nice weekends in a row and walking from Sandbanks to Bournemouth on both all of the Bournemouth services, ice-cream huts etc were open. In Poole's stretch of beaches, all closed, only the privately owned cafés were open (and very busy)! Even in the peak of summer the cafes in Sandbanks close by around 5:30 so no chance of getting any food or drink if you go out for an evenings walk. It's about time Poole Council started to appreciate how popular Sandbanks and it's other beaches are and provide better services to users. GPS_72
  • Score: 2

1:30pm Tue 18 Mar 14

KitKatPuss says...

Oh my god really? Instead of some residents whining and whinging how about just being very thankful that we live in one of the most beautiful areas of the UK? Sandbanks beach is gorgeous and the scenery is wonderful! I've been to and have lived in cities whereby the only scenery you were subjected to was a large grey brick building!
Oh my god really? Instead of some residents whining and whinging how about just being very thankful that we live in one of the most beautiful areas of the UK? Sandbanks beach is gorgeous and the scenery is wonderful! I've been to and have lived in cities whereby the only scenery you were subjected to was a large grey brick building! KitKatPuss
  • Score: 6

3:08pm Tue 18 Mar 14

retry69 says...

Bob Bournemouth wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents
As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.
I quite agree. Retry 69 is always negative - don't you have anything nice to say about anything?
If there is anyone under 50 reading this article can I assure you that getting old and being miserable do not go hand in hand it is just unfortunate that due to circumstances beyond our control those that have been blessed with that phenomenon have accumulated in our fine area.
[quote][p][bold]Bob Bournemouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents[/p][/quote]As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.[/p][/quote]I quite agree. Retry 69 is always negative - don't you have anything nice to say about anything?[/p][/quote]If there is anyone under 50 reading this article can I assure you that getting old and being miserable do not go hand in hand it is just unfortunate that due to circumstances beyond our control those that have been blessed with that phenomenon have accumulated in our fine area. retry69
  • Score: 1

3:47pm Tue 18 Mar 14

retry69 says...

retry69 wrote:
Bob Bournemouth wrote:
Hessenford wrote:
retry69 wrote:
I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents
As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.
I quite agree. Retry 69 is always negative - don't you have anything nice to say about anything?
If there is anyone under 50 reading this article can I assure you that getting old and being miserable do not go hand in hand it is just unfortunate that due to circumstances beyond our control those that have been blessed with that phenomenon have accumulated in our fine area.
The quoting of two fellow commenters was an error on my part ,rather freaky I know but never the less unintentional and I apologise in advance if it causes any upset
[quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bob Bournemouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hessenford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]retry69[/bold] wrote: I think the only advice needed on trip advisor for visitors is the warning off the overwhelming abundance of moaning and groaning residents[/p][/quote]As usual an alternate view is considered by you as moaning and groaning, would that be you're way of saying that no one can comment unless they agree with your views.[/p][/quote]I quite agree. Retry 69 is always negative - don't you have anything nice to say about anything?[/p][/quote]If there is anyone under 50 reading this article can I assure you that getting old and being miserable do not go hand in hand it is just unfortunate that due to circumstances beyond our control those that have been blessed with that phenomenon have accumulated in our fine area.[/p][/quote]The quoting of two fellow commenters was an error on my part ,rather freaky I know but never the less unintentional and I apologise in advance if it causes any upset retry69
  • Score: 1

10:48pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Yankee1 says...

My idea of the 'perfect beach' is one where nature prevails over man's intrusions.

Give me Trunk Bay. Give me De Soto Park in St Petersburg Fl. Give me Maspalaomas. Nearer, give me the Gower Peninsula. Even nearer, give me Studland/Shell Bay.

But not 'cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays'.

That is not what makes a great beach. A cafe?
My idea of the 'perfect beach' is one where nature prevails over man's intrusions. Give me Trunk Bay. Give me De Soto Park in St Petersburg Fl. Give me Maspalaomas. Nearer, give me the Gower Peninsula. Even nearer, give me Studland/Shell Bay. But not 'cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays'. That is not what makes a great beach. A cafe? Yankee1
  • Score: 0

11:06pm Tue 18 Mar 14

ragj195 says...

Yankee1 wrote:
My idea of the 'perfect beach' is one where nature prevails over man's intrusions.

Give me Trunk Bay. Give me De Soto Park in St Petersburg Fl. Give me Maspalaomas. Nearer, give me the Gower Peninsula. Even nearer, give me Studland/Shell Bay.

But not 'cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays'.

That is not what makes a great beach. A cafe?
Agree with you about De Soto Park. I've stayed on Anna Maria Island a few times. We went over there one day, stunning. However, this is the UK and Hengistbury Head is up there with the best in the summer. The best thing about it is not many tourists bother with it. Let's hope it stays that way.
[quote][p][bold]Yankee1[/bold] wrote: My idea of the 'perfect beach' is one where nature prevails over man's intrusions. Give me Trunk Bay. Give me De Soto Park in St Petersburg Fl. Give me Maspalaomas. Nearer, give me the Gower Peninsula. Even nearer, give me Studland/Shell Bay. But not 'cafe, watersports centre, and it will soon be home to a new £1.2m thatched visitor centre featuring interactive displays'. That is not what makes a great beach. A cafe?[/p][/quote]Agree with you about De Soto Park. I've stayed on Anna Maria Island a few times. We went over there one day, stunning. However, this is the UK and Hengistbury Head is up there with the best in the summer. The best thing about it is not many tourists bother with it. Let's hope it stays that way. ragj195
  • Score: 0

10:45am Wed 19 Mar 14

nickynoodah says...

You need a dimi opium café and a shower facility for the bedsit georges you know.
You need a dimi opium café and a shower facility for the bedsit georges you know. nickynoodah
  • Score: 0

5:59pm Wed 19 Mar 14

beachcomber1 says...

the flip side is that none of the beach from Alum Chine (depending where you consider Sandbanks ends) through to Southbourne (depending where you think HH starts) was considered good enough to be top 10.
the flip side is that none of the beach from Alum Chine (depending where you consider Sandbanks ends) through to Southbourne (depending where you think HH starts) was considered good enough to be top 10. beachcomber1
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree