UKIP office opens on busy Poole road as party gears up for European elections

PARTY POLITICAL: David Young shows off a window display at UKIP’s new Poole office

PARTY POLITICAL: David Young shows off a window display at UKIP’s new Poole office

First published in News by

THE United Kingdom Independence Party has acquired an eye-catching shop front on a busy Poole road as it gears up for the European elections.

UKIP has rented an office next to Everything 4 Printers in Bournemouth Road, Parkstone, taking up a large shop window and signage.

David Young, the party’s prospective parliamentary candidate for Poole, said: “The proprietor there is a member and a keen supporter and was willing to let us rent an office adjoining his shop.”

The party is hoping the proportional representation system used at May’s European elections will strengthen its position in the European Parliament.

It then hopes for a strong showing at local government elections and the general election, both to be held on May 7, 2015.

Mr Young said UKIP membership in the Poole constituency had doubled in the last year.

“I think there’s a groundswell of disaffection in the Conservative ranks and it’s not just Poole,” he said.

“Under Cameron, national Conservative membership has halved to less than 100,000, whereas UKIP membership is running at about 35,000 and growing fast.

“While that’s the case, our local chairman, John Butler, reports that the new membership is coming from traditional Labour supporters and from Liberal Democrats, where there’s quite a collapse in support following the coalition, but it’s also coming from the non-voting segment which accounts for about 40 per cent of the population at the last election.”

Mr Young, a business consultant, said the party was telling people about its position on local issues.

It is opposed to the Navitus Bay wind farm scheme and to a planned transit site for travellers at Creekmoor.

Poole council’s Conservative leader, Cllr Elaine Atkinson – whose Penn Hill ward includes the site of the office – said she was unworried by UKIP.

“My personal view is that UKIP play to an audience.

“But they’re not the same audience that I listen to because they tend to be people who believe there are no advantages to Europe.

“But when I speak to people that keep our local economy going and provide our local jobs – the small, medium sized and larger businesses in Poole – being a member of the European Union is important for them. In my personal opinion, membership on the right terms is what’s needed to keep our town economically active and to keep the jobs here in Poole.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:30pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

Wow our Council leader is sounding far more like a LibDem than a Tory in that statement, maybe our Mayor Philip Eades is doing her script writing?

Here are the real facts, in Britain there are 4.9 million businesses, in a BCC survey on exports last year only 4,678 showed any interest whatsoever.

http://www.britishch
ambers.org.uk/assets
/downloads/policy_re
ports_2013/2013%20BC
C%20Int%20trade%20Su
rvey%20Factsheet_Mar
ket%20Opps.pdf

Less than 10% of British businesses actually have anything to do with the EU and yet 100% of them are restricted by the EU regulations. All that will happen when we do eventually get out of this EU membership is we will have a larger trade market and that will increase jobs not threaten them. Mercedes are not going to suddenly want us to stop buying their cars simply because we have left a failing union and because we buy far more from the EU than they buy from us we do have the bigger stick at the trade negotiation table. LibDems constantly go down the path of scaremongering about loss of jobs, it appears that the Conservatives are following suit. Self governance of an Independent United Kingdom is the only real way forward for Britain and the only party that is offering that on the ballot papers is UKIP.
Wow our Council leader is sounding far more like a LibDem than a Tory in that statement, maybe our Mayor Philip Eades is doing her script writing? Here are the real facts, in Britain there are 4.9 million businesses, in a BCC survey on exports last year only 4,678 showed any interest whatsoever. http://www.britishch ambers.org.uk/assets /downloads/policy_re ports_2013/2013%20BC C%20Int%20trade%20Su rvey%20Factsheet_Mar ket%20Opps.pdf Less than 10% of British businesses actually have anything to do with the EU and yet 100% of them are restricted by the EU regulations. All that will happen when we do eventually get out of this EU membership is we will have a larger trade market and that will increase jobs not threaten them. Mercedes are not going to suddenly want us to stop buying their cars simply because we have left a failing union and because we buy far more from the EU than they buy from us we do have the bigger stick at the trade negotiation table. LibDems constantly go down the path of scaremongering about loss of jobs, it appears that the Conservatives are following suit. Self governance of an Independent United Kingdom is the only real way forward for Britain and the only party that is offering that on the ballot papers is UKIP. Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: 28

12:46pm Mon 17 Mar 14

chiefwolf2 says...

Phillip Eades is mayor???? OMG! If only people knew what he is really like.....
Phillip Eades is mayor???? OMG! If only people knew what he is really like..... chiefwolf2
  • Score: 15

12:51pm Mon 17 Mar 14

EddieVH says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
Wow our Council leader is sounding far more like a LibDem than a Tory in that statement, maybe our Mayor Philip Eades is doing her script writing?

Here are the real facts, in Britain there are 4.9 million businesses, in a BCC survey on exports last year only 4,678 showed any interest whatsoever.

http://www.britishch

ambers.org.uk/assets

/downloads/policy_re

ports_2013/2013%20BC

C%20Int%20trade%20Su

rvey%20Factsheet_Mar

ket%20Opps.pdf

Less than 10% of British businesses actually have anything to do with the EU and yet 100% of them are restricted by the EU regulations. All that will happen when we do eventually get out of this EU membership is we will have a larger trade market and that will increase jobs not threaten them. Mercedes are not going to suddenly want us to stop buying their cars simply because we have left a failing union and because we buy far more from the EU than they buy from us we do have the bigger stick at the trade negotiation table. LibDems constantly go down the path of scaremongering about loss of jobs, it appears that the Conservatives are following suit. Self governance of an Independent United Kingdom is the only real way forward for Britain and the only party that is offering that on the ballot papers is UKIP.
You should be carefuly what you selectively quote. That British Chambers of Commerce report acutally states:

"To support UK businesses trading in Europe, the Government
needs to press for full implementation of the EU’s Single Market Act so that UK businessesbenefit from a deeper and wider single European market, extending it in areas such as services,
energy and the digital economy."
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: Wow our Council leader is sounding far more like a LibDem than a Tory in that statement, maybe our Mayor Philip Eades is doing her script writing? Here are the real facts, in Britain there are 4.9 million businesses, in a BCC survey on exports last year only 4,678 showed any interest whatsoever. http://www.britishch ambers.org.uk/assets /downloads/policy_re ports_2013/2013%20BC C%20Int%20trade%20Su rvey%20Factsheet_Mar ket%20Opps.pdf Less than 10% of British businesses actually have anything to do with the EU and yet 100% of them are restricted by the EU regulations. All that will happen when we do eventually get out of this EU membership is we will have a larger trade market and that will increase jobs not threaten them. Mercedes are not going to suddenly want us to stop buying their cars simply because we have left a failing union and because we buy far more from the EU than they buy from us we do have the bigger stick at the trade negotiation table. LibDems constantly go down the path of scaremongering about loss of jobs, it appears that the Conservatives are following suit. Self governance of an Independent United Kingdom is the only real way forward for Britain and the only party that is offering that on the ballot papers is UKIP.[/p][/quote]You should be carefuly what you selectively quote. That British Chambers of Commerce report acutally states: "To support UK businesses trading in Europe, the Government needs to press for full implementation of the EU’s Single Market Act so that UK businessesbenefit from a deeper and wider single European market, extending it in areas such as services, energy and the digital economy." EddieVH
  • Score: -18

1:19pm Mon 17 Mar 14

boardsandphotos says...

Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving. boardsandphotos
  • Score: -30

1:19pm Mon 17 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

I trust that anyone planning to pass comment here and label UKIP as an 'extreme right-wing' political Party will consider that two recently departed heroes of the political left both supported UKIP's foundation policy - to leave the EU.

Bob Crow and Tony Benn both foresaw that the European Super State project followed as an unspoken common purpose by the LibLabCon Party would seriously disadvantage the average UK worker - a process which of course has already started with the mass immigration of workers from poorer EU member Countries prepared to accept much lower wages in this Country.

The EU master plan needs us far more than we need it, time for the UK to leave!
I trust that anyone planning to pass comment here and label UKIP as an 'extreme right-wing' political Party will consider that two recently departed heroes of the political left both supported UKIP's foundation policy - to leave the EU. Bob Crow and Tony Benn both foresaw that the European Super State project followed as an unspoken common purpose by the LibLabCon Party would seriously disadvantage the average UK worker - a process which of course has already started with the mass immigration of workers from poorer EU member Countries prepared to accept much lower wages in this Country. The EU master plan needs us far more than we need it, time for the UK to leave! muscliffman
  • Score: 33

1:34pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

boardsandphotos wrote:
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.
[quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.[/p][/quote]This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it. Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: 27

1:37pm Mon 17 Mar 14

sunny1966 says...

Come on UKIP all the way :)
Come on UKIP all the way :) sunny1966
  • Score: 20

1:51pm Mon 17 Mar 14

In Absentia says...

Can we assume that the Echo will be giving space like this to all of the political parties standing in the upcoming elections?
Can we assume that the Echo will be giving space like this to all of the political parties standing in the upcoming elections? In Absentia
  • Score: 4

1:57pm Mon 17 Mar 14

boardsandphotos says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.
HM Revenue & Customs

https://www.uktradei
nfo.com/Statistics/E
UOverseasTrade/Pages
/EuOTS.aspx

EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: (December 2013 / January 2014)

Key Points
The UK’s EU exports for December 2013 total £11.6 billion.
The UK’s EU imports for December 2013 total £16.7 billion.
The UK remains a net importer (imports are greater than exports).

The size of the difference between imports and exports is £5.2 billion.
This is a decrease of £1.5 billion (22.0 per cent) compared to November 2013.

The first estimate of total EU exports for 2013 is £150.8 billion compared with £149.8 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 0.7 per cent.

The first estimate of total EU imports for 2013 is £216.8 billion compared with £207.0 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 4.7 per cent.

NON EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS:
Key Points

Non-EU Exports for January 2014 are £14.5 billion.
Non-EU Imports for January 2014 are £16.8 billion.

The UK is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £2.3 billion. This is an increase of £2.5 billion compared to last month, and a decrease of £0.7 billion (23.3 per cent) compared to January 2013.

So when you say "less than 50%" what you mean is ever so slightly less than 50%, say 49% of our Exports DO go to the EU.

I did also state that there needs to be some changes to make EU members (and leaders) work together to make the agreement more beneficial for all.
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.[/p][/quote]This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.[/p][/quote]HM Revenue & Customs https://www.uktradei nfo.com/Statistics/E UOverseasTrade/Pages /EuOTS.aspx EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: (December 2013 / January 2014) Key Points The UK’s EU exports for December 2013 total £11.6 billion. The UK’s EU imports for December 2013 total £16.7 billion. The UK remains a net importer (imports are greater than exports). The size of the difference between imports and exports is £5.2 billion. This is a decrease of £1.5 billion (22.0 per cent) compared to November 2013. The first estimate of total EU exports for 2013 is £150.8 billion compared with £149.8 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 0.7 per cent. The first estimate of total EU imports for 2013 is £216.8 billion compared with £207.0 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 4.7 per cent. NON EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: Key Points Non-EU Exports for January 2014 are £14.5 billion. Non-EU Imports for January 2014 are £16.8 billion. The UK is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £2.3 billion. This is an increase of £2.5 billion compared to last month, and a decrease of £0.7 billion (23.3 per cent) compared to January 2013. So when you say "less than 50%" what you mean is ever so slightly less than 50%, say 49% of our Exports DO go to the EU. I did also state that there needs to be some changes to make EU members (and leaders) work together to make the agreement more beneficial for all. boardsandphotos
  • Score: 5

2:24pm Mon 17 Mar 14

pete woodley says...

Wonder what the cost is of keeping this new office and staff ?.
Wonder what the cost is of keeping this new office and staff ?. pete woodley
  • Score: -12

2:31pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

boardsandphotos wrote:
Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.
HM Revenue & Customs

https://www.uktradei

nfo.com/Statistics/E

UOverseasTrade/Pages

/EuOTS.aspx

EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: (December 2013 / January 2014)

Key Points
The UK’s EU exports for December 2013 total £11.6 billion.
The UK’s EU imports for December 2013 total £16.7 billion.
The UK remains a net importer (imports are greater than exports).

The size of the difference between imports and exports is £5.2 billion.
This is a decrease of £1.5 billion (22.0 per cent) compared to November 2013.

The first estimate of total EU exports for 2013 is £150.8 billion compared with £149.8 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 0.7 per cent.

The first estimate of total EU imports for 2013 is £216.8 billion compared with £207.0 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 4.7 per cent.

NON EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS:
Key Points

Non-EU Exports for January 2014 are £14.5 billion.
Non-EU Imports for January 2014 are £16.8 billion.

The UK is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £2.3 billion. This is an increase of £2.5 billion compared to last month, and a decrease of £0.7 billion (23.3 per cent) compared to January 2013.

So when you say "less than 50%" what you mean is ever so slightly less than 50%, say 49% of our Exports DO go to the EU.

I did also state that there needs to be some changes to make EU members (and leaders) work together to make the agreement more beneficial for all.
What I mean when I say less than 50%, is its less than 50% even 49.999999% is still less than 50% but thank you for qualifying my statement.

That 51% trade we do with countries outside of the EU we do not pay a £19.2 billion membership fee for the privilege of trading, that is £53 million a day in laymans terms.
[quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.[/p][/quote]This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.[/p][/quote]HM Revenue & Customs https://www.uktradei nfo.com/Statistics/E UOverseasTrade/Pages /EuOTS.aspx EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: (December 2013 / January 2014) Key Points The UK’s EU exports for December 2013 total £11.6 billion. The UK’s EU imports for December 2013 total £16.7 billion. The UK remains a net importer (imports are greater than exports). The size of the difference between imports and exports is £5.2 billion. This is a decrease of £1.5 billion (22.0 per cent) compared to November 2013. The first estimate of total EU exports for 2013 is £150.8 billion compared with £149.8 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 0.7 per cent. The first estimate of total EU imports for 2013 is £216.8 billion compared with £207.0 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 4.7 per cent. NON EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: Key Points Non-EU Exports for January 2014 are £14.5 billion. Non-EU Imports for January 2014 are £16.8 billion. The UK is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £2.3 billion. This is an increase of £2.5 billion compared to last month, and a decrease of £0.7 billion (23.3 per cent) compared to January 2013. So when you say "less than 50%" what you mean is ever so slightly less than 50%, say 49% of our Exports DO go to the EU. I did also state that there needs to be some changes to make EU members (and leaders) work together to make the agreement more beneficial for all.[/p][/quote]What I mean when I say less than 50%, is its less than 50% even 49.999999% is still less than 50% but thank you for qualifying my statement. That 51% trade we do with countries outside of the EU we do not pay a £19.2 billion membership fee for the privilege of trading, that is £53 million a day in laymans terms. Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: 12

3:25pm Mon 17 Mar 14

boardsandphotos says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.
HM Revenue & Customs

https://www.uktradei


nfo.com/Statistics/E


UOverseasTrade/Pages


/EuOTS.aspx

EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: (December 2013 / January 2014)

Key Points
The UK’s EU exports for December 2013 total £11.6 billion.
The UK’s EU imports for December 2013 total £16.7 billion.
The UK remains a net importer (imports are greater than exports).

The size of the difference between imports and exports is £5.2 billion.
This is a decrease of £1.5 billion (22.0 per cent) compared to November 2013.

The first estimate of total EU exports for 2013 is £150.8 billion compared with £149.8 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 0.7 per cent.

The first estimate of total EU imports for 2013 is £216.8 billion compared with £207.0 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 4.7 per cent.

NON EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS:
Key Points

Non-EU Exports for January 2014 are £14.5 billion.
Non-EU Imports for January 2014 are £16.8 billion.

The UK is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £2.3 billion. This is an increase of £2.5 billion compared to last month, and a decrease of £0.7 billion (23.3 per cent) compared to January 2013.

So when you say "less than 50%" what you mean is ever so slightly less than 50%, say 49% of our Exports DO go to the EU.

I did also state that there needs to be some changes to make EU members (and leaders) work together to make the agreement more beneficial for all.
What I mean when I say less than 50%, is its less than 50% even 49.999999% is still less than 50% but thank you for qualifying my statement.

That 51% trade we do with countries outside of the EU we do not pay a £19.2 billion membership fee for the privilege of trading, that is £53 million a day in laymans terms.
Do I think a £19 Billion membership to the largest free market in the world, one that gives us access to £11 Trillion worth of economic activity is worth it? Yes I think that's good value for money.

Do I think that Foreign Investment Stock in the UK worth about £400 Billion would be massively harmed if we left the EU? Yes, it certainly would be.

Do I think that if we pulled out of the EU but continued to want to do business in that space (49% of our total trade) we would incur far higher Import Taxes on British Goods than we do currently? Yes, of course we would.

You might think that £19.2 Billion is a lot of money but when you compare it to the value of all the trade, investment and also the position in terms of where the UK stands as a Financial Centre it's really not.
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.[/p][/quote]This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.[/p][/quote]HM Revenue & Customs https://www.uktradei nfo.com/Statistics/E UOverseasTrade/Pages /EuOTS.aspx EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: (December 2013 / January 2014) Key Points The UK’s EU exports for December 2013 total £11.6 billion. The UK’s EU imports for December 2013 total £16.7 billion. The UK remains a net importer (imports are greater than exports). The size of the difference between imports and exports is £5.2 billion. This is a decrease of £1.5 billion (22.0 per cent) compared to November 2013. The first estimate of total EU exports for 2013 is £150.8 billion compared with £149.8 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 0.7 per cent. The first estimate of total EU imports for 2013 is £216.8 billion compared with £207.0 billion in 2012. This is an increase of 4.7 per cent. NON EU IMPORTS AND EXPORTS: Key Points Non-EU Exports for January 2014 are £14.5 billion. Non-EU Imports for January 2014 are £16.8 billion. The UK is a net importer this month, with imports exceeding exports by £2.3 billion. This is an increase of £2.5 billion compared to last month, and a decrease of £0.7 billion (23.3 per cent) compared to January 2013. So when you say "less than 50%" what you mean is ever so slightly less than 50%, say 49% of our Exports DO go to the EU. I did also state that there needs to be some changes to make EU members (and leaders) work together to make the agreement more beneficial for all.[/p][/quote]What I mean when I say less than 50%, is its less than 50% even 49.999999% is still less than 50% but thank you for qualifying my statement. That 51% trade we do with countries outside of the EU we do not pay a £19.2 billion membership fee for the privilege of trading, that is £53 million a day in laymans terms.[/p][/quote]Do I think a £19 Billion membership to the largest free market in the world, one that gives us access to £11 Trillion worth of economic activity is worth it? Yes I think that's good value for money. Do I think that Foreign Investment Stock in the UK worth about £400 Billion would be massively harmed if we left the EU? Yes, it certainly would be. Do I think that if we pulled out of the EU but continued to want to do business in that space (49% of our total trade) we would incur far higher Import Taxes on British Goods than we do currently? Yes, of course we would. You might think that £19.2 Billion is a lot of money but when you compare it to the value of all the trade, investment and also the position in terms of where the UK stands as a Financial Centre it's really not. boardsandphotos
  • Score: -9

3:25pm Mon 17 Mar 14

tommytoyou says...

Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.
are you the marty caine that called lee rigby's family idiots for not wanting the edl to exploit his death?
[quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.[/p][/quote]This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.[/p][/quote]are you the marty caine that called lee rigby's family idiots for not wanting the edl to exploit his death? tommytoyou
  • Score: -4

4:12pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Brimstone52 says...

" In my personal opinion, membership on the right terms is what’s needed"

The only terms on offer are those we have at the moment and as ordained by the EU. The EU, German Chancellor Merkel and many others have said that there will be no renegotiation.

That means we accept the term we have at the moment or leave.

What is so difficult to understand?
" In my personal opinion, membership on the right terms is what’s needed" The only terms on offer are those we have at the moment and as ordained by the EU. The EU, German Chancellor Merkel and many others have said that there will be no renegotiation. That means we accept the term we have at the moment or leave. What is so difficult to understand? Brimstone52
  • Score: 6

5:26pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Ivy says...

The only good thing about UKIP is that they'll split the Tory vote! I was brought up to believe that everyone should be treated with respect regardless of race; colour or creed, sadly something UKIP can't get their bigotted head around!
The only good thing about UKIP is that they'll split the Tory vote! I was brought up to believe that everyone should be treated with respect regardless of race; colour or creed, sadly something UKIP can't get their bigotted head around! Ivy
  • Score: -6

5:27pm Mon 17 Mar 14

MattGillett says...

If Britain were to leave the EU the level of disadvantage would be in whatever terms were negotiated. Our European Partners are hoping it will cost us 10% of our GDP, I think that is unlikely. However, anyone who thinks it will be a negotiation without even potential costs is incredibly naive.
I'm not a fan of eurosceptism however at least UKIP have the good sense to negotiate the terms of leaving and then have the referendum rather than the Tories who as far as I can see want to have a referendum, which, if they lose, leaves deciding the terms of leaving to be decided by the Germans and French.
If Britain were to leave the EU the level of disadvantage would be in whatever terms were negotiated. Our European Partners are hoping it will cost us 10% of our GDP, I think that is unlikely. However, anyone who thinks it will be a negotiation without even potential costs is incredibly naive. I'm not a fan of eurosceptism however at least UKIP have the good sense to negotiate the terms of leaving and then have the referendum rather than the Tories who as far as I can see want to have a referendum, which, if they lose, leaves deciding the terms of leaving to be decided by the Germans and French. MattGillett
  • Score: 6

5:32pm Mon 17 Mar 14

ashleycross says...

Unfortunately the conservatives are currently dominated by aristocracy trying to pass themselves off as ordinary with those ridiculous press shots of going to IKEA, wearing really cheap clothes and bottle feeding the baby. The reality is very rich people who need a constant stream of immigrants with no employment rights so that they can continue to keep the working classes (ie everyone who goes to work, what ever you might think of yourselves) ground down into the mud. I'm not against immigration. but they should have the same rights to employment tribunals as anyone else otherwise they are more attractive to employers. The current youth unemployment is because foreigners with no job security are so much more attractive to an employer than youngsters brought up here.
Unfortunately the conservatives are currently dominated by aristocracy trying to pass themselves off as ordinary with those ridiculous press shots of going to IKEA, wearing really cheap clothes and bottle feeding the baby. The reality is very rich people who need a constant stream of immigrants with no employment rights so that they can continue to keep the working classes (ie everyone who goes to work, what ever you might think of yourselves) ground down into the mud. I'm not against immigration. but they should have the same rights to employment tribunals as anyone else otherwise they are more attractive to employers. The current youth unemployment is because foreigners with no job security are so much more attractive to an employer than youngsters brought up here. ashleycross
  • Score: 14

5:59pm Mon 17 Mar 14

afcb-mark says...

Is there a UKIP candidate in Bournemouth. Hope so.
Is there a UKIP candidate in Bournemouth. Hope so. afcb-mark
  • Score: 13

6:17pm Mon 17 Mar 14

nothingtofear says...

tommytoyou wrote:
Marty Caine UKIP wrote:
boardsandphotos wrote:
Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States.

We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.
This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.
are you the marty caine that called lee rigby's family idiots for not wanting the edl to exploit his death?
I think we can take that as a yes. The exact quote was "Like a lot of idiots they (the Rigby family) believe the EDL are right-wing fascists I suppose."
[quote][p][bold]tommytoyou[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty Caine UKIP[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boardsandphotos[/bold] wrote: Pulling away from Europe makes absolutely no sense, some of our biggest Import and Export partners are Germany, France, Belgium and The Netherlands We have bigger trade agreements with Germany than we do with China and the United States. We need to stand strong and help to lead Europe, turn it into a more efficient and more equally balanced system, but we should in no way consider leaving.[/p][/quote]This is a perfect example of the problem expressed by Europhiles, Britain can not lead in Europe, the only leaders are the non-elected rulers. Britain like all the other countries involved get a vote share, as every new country comes into the EU that vote share reduces. You also need to work on your facts a little because here in Britain less than 50% of our export market actually goes to the EU, the majority of exports go to non EU countries. We are spending £150 billion a year to be part of this so called free market, so I can certainly see 150 billion good reasons for leaving it.[/p][/quote]are you the marty caine that called lee rigby's family idiots for not wanting the edl to exploit his death?[/p][/quote]I think we can take that as a yes. The exact quote was "Like a lot of idiots they (the Rigby family) believe the EDL are right-wing fascists I suppose." nothingtofear
  • Score: -5

8:52pm Mon 17 Mar 14

apm1954 says...

not worried says cllr atkinson , start packing your bags mam you are on your way.
not worried says cllr atkinson , start packing your bags mam you are on your way. apm1954
  • Score: 8

8:53pm Mon 17 Mar 14

apm1954 says...

chiefwolf2 wrote:
Phillip Eades is mayor???? OMG! If only people knew what he is really like.....
ask creekmoor
[quote][p][bold]chiefwolf2[/bold] wrote: Phillip Eades is mayor???? OMG! If only people knew what he is really like.....[/p][/quote]ask creekmoor apm1954
  • Score: 6

9:50pm Mon 17 Mar 14

jeebuscripes says...

This UKIP brigade are the same bunch of baby boomers who helped to bankrupt our country through their own greed and self interest.

Thanks very much for truly revealing what you all about.

Thank you for what you have done to our country.

Future generations will judge you as the selfish and disgusting rabble that you are.
This UKIP brigade are the same bunch of baby boomers who helped to bankrupt our country through their own greed and self interest. Thanks very much for truly revealing what you all about. Thank you for what you have done to our country. Future generations will judge you as the selfish and disgusting rabble that you are. jeebuscripes
  • Score: -1

10:56am Tue 18 Mar 14

party-free says...

With 'Transport' spelled with an 'e', let's hope UKIP have proof read their policies. Policies aside, simple mistakes like this make them look ridiculous.
With 'Transport' spelled with an 'e', let's hope UKIP have proof read their policies. Policies aside, simple mistakes like this make them look ridiculous. party-free
  • Score: 7

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree