POLICE are investigating a 'fail to stop' collision at Leydene Avenue in Bournemouth, this morning.

The road was cordoned off at both ends earlier today and officers were measuring tyre marks on the road.

A 19-year-old man, who had been walking on the pavement, suffered cuts and bruises in the incident.

The incident occurred at 2.15am after a party took place at a property in neighbouring Leydene Close, and police have seized a car.

A man, who answered the door to the house this afternoon, but did not want to be named, said there had been a row between two groups at the party.

After one group was told to leave the house, it is alleged that one man drove an Audi car at a teenager and his girlfriend as they walked along the pavement.

The man then said the car's occupants got out of the vehicle and began to punch and kick the injured youth on the ground before driving away. 

He added police were quickly on the scene and the victim was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Detective Sergeant Andy Bell said two people are in custody - however, there has not yet been a charge.

He added that the collision is believed to stem from a disagreement which took place during the evening.

Police tape still surrounded five houses on the road until after 10am and residents on both sides of the street were not able to move their cars from their driveways. 

At 10am one police officer and two scenes of crime officers were still at the scene. 

Drivers trying to access the road were being asked to turnaround and find an alternative route. 

Doria Mason, a resident of Leydene Avenue, said the road is usually quiet at the weekends but that there has been an increase in through traffic in recent times. 

She added: "People use it as a shortcut to get to Castle Lane and it can get quite congested."

Cyril Faulkner, who has lived on Leydene Avenue for 15 years, said he was surprised to see his was amongst the houses to be cordoned off this morning. 

He added: "It is a sober, quiet area and nothing like this has happened before."

Tony Letts, a self-employed publisher, said: "I couldn't believe it when I got up this morning. I wanted to get out and use my car but the police had cordoned everything off. It is usually so quiet here."