Bournemouth saw one of the wettest and sunniest winter months in February in more than 100 years.
Bournemouth Metrological Registrar Charles Thomas said the contrast of wetter than average and sunnier than average conditions was greater than in any previous winter month since January 1906.
Most of the month's rain fell in the first fortnight with Bournemouth seeing a total of 151.3mm rainfall overall.
Gales were recorded on nine days of the month with gusts reaching 68mph at Hurn Airport on February 14.
Only four Februaries were sunnier, yet just three were wetter. In 1990, 183.3mm of rain fell during the month, in 1937, 154.7mm of rain fell and in 1951, 153.4mm of rain was recorded.
It was also the third February when no air frosts were recorded in Bournemouth.
See all our weather stories, pictures and video at bournemouthecho.co.uk/dorsetweather
- Highest maximum temperature recorded: 12.9C. 55F. on the 18th
- Lowest minimum temperature recorded: 2.0C. 36F. on the 4th
- Mean maximum temperature: 10.53C. 51F. (average 8.59C.)
- Mean minimum temperature: 4.86C. 41F. (average 2.48C.)
- Total rainfall: 151.3 mm. (average 63.8 mm.)
- Greatest 24-hour rainfall: 24.7 mm. on the 6th
- Days with measurable rain: 26 (joint record with Feb. 1937 – average 12.9)
- Total sunshine: 116.1 hours (average 82.5 hrs.)
- Days without sunshine: 3
- Air frosts: Nil
- Days with thunder: 1
- Highest: 1013.2 mb on the 26th
- Lowest: 977.5 mb on the 5th
The winter (December to February) was easily the wettest on record, the total rainfall of 589.5 mm. comfortably beating the previous highest figure of 509.7 mm. set in 1989/90. Only 5 winters were milder but all of them occurred in the last 40 years. The total sunshine was somewhat above average.
Summary of the winter
- Mean temperature: 7.31C. (average 5.65C.)
- Total sunshine: 229.0 hours (average 206 hrs.)
- Total rainfall: 589.5 mm. (record – average 253.4 mm.)
- Days with measurable rain: 74 (record – average 45)