VIDEO: We don't want Poole site either, says travellers' spokesman

Bournemouth Echo: Joseph Jones, of the Gypsy Council Joseph Jones, of the Gypsy Council

AN influential Gypsy Council member has pledged to back residents in their fight against a controversial stopping site for travellers in Poole.

Joseph Jones, who has lobbied government with the Gypsy Council for more than 40 years, spoke at a meeting attended by around 200 concerned Creekmoor Residents last night.

He said: “Unfortunately we’re between a rock and a hard place. It doesn’t matter what we say – everyone seems to talk for us, no one seems to want to talk with us.

“We are against this site for the simple reason it is contaminated land and on a flood zone. What we would like to see is for Poole council to provide more permanent sites.

“We don’t want to see the animosity that is being created by the media, and through the politics of this site. We are becoming political footballs and we’re just piggy in the middle.”

It is the selection of the larger of two proposed traveller sites – at Marshes End, Creekmoor – that sparked widespread public condemnation, in January, when Borough of Poole decided to back the scheme.

The proposals, which still have to go through the borough’s planning process, were put forward following a summer of heightened traveller activity across the district Borough of Poole and Dorset Police argue that by having a temporary stopping site, they will be able to move on unlawful encampments from Poole’s public places more rapidly.

However, there are concerns about the quality of the Marshes End site, in particular with regard to asbestos and methane levels.

During Saturday evening’s highly-charged meeting Creekmoor Resident Eddie Durlow spoke directly to Mr Jones.

He said: “What really angers me is that how dare they put human beings on contaminated ground with a dual carriageway.

"We have children, you have children – your community grows the same as ours does.

"We think this plan is totally unserviceable, it’s unsuitable and it’s a humiliation to both communities."

Another resident summed up the overall mood when he said: “The ward councillors don’t want this site, the Creekmoor residents don’t want this site, and the travellers don’t want this site. Can someone please tell me who actually does want it?”

Creekmoor ward councillor Judy Butt, who was sacked from her cabinet position after voting against approval for the Marshes End site, chaired the Creekmoor Community Centre meeting alongside other ward councillors, Dorset Police & Crime Commissioner Martyn Underhill, Mr Jones, Poole MP Robert Syms and Dorset Police Neighbourhood Inspector Claire Phillips.

The other, smaller traveller stopping site, will be situated at land north of the B&Q car park, Broadstone Way, Poole.

Borough of Poole estimates it will cost £175,000 to construct the Creekmoor site and up to £70,000 at Broadstone Way.

Please note: Any reference to gypsies or any racially offensive term, or any comment inciting violence or hatred is in breach of our terms and conditions and will result in your account being suspended without notice.

Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are legally recognised as ethnic groups, and protected by the Race Relations Act. Please keep your comments to this particular incident and do not generalise. Thanks for your co-operation.

Comments (83)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:32pm Sun 2 Mar 14

live-and-let-live says...

haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.
haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here. live-and-let-live
  • Score: 23

12:33pm Sun 2 Mar 14

ashleycross says...

Of course they don't want it. It will allow Poole council to get court orders moving them off the recreation grounds and children's play areas. And if it is run well it will insist on names and dates of birth of everyone using the site. If they have a vehicle registered to them they should be able to provide this, If the vehicle is fraudulently registered to someone else, time for the same prosecution as anyone else has to put up with.
Of course they don't want it. It will allow Poole council to get court orders moving them off the recreation grounds and children's play areas. And if it is run well it will insist on names and dates of birth of everyone using the site. If they have a vehicle registered to them they should be able to provide this, If the vehicle is fraudulently registered to someone else, time for the same prosecution as anyone else has to put up with. ashleycross
  • Score: 94

12:39pm Sun 2 Mar 14

pugs0404 says...

its funny how you here from the spokes person when they dont like something, but when they are invading our lives, and illegally camping they are very quite. by the way who cares what they think
its funny how you here from the spokes person when they dont like something, but when they are invading our lives, and illegally camping they are very quite. by the way who cares what they think pugs0404
  • Score: 75

12:45pm Sun 2 Mar 14

PUZZLED ONE says...

There are already lots n lots of clean, well kept camping sites in Dorset with vacancies, why can't these be used by the friends and acquaintances of Joseph Jones?
I and perhaps others look forward to his reply to this suggestion in this newspaper.
I will not hold my breath whilst waiting,
There are already lots n lots of clean, well kept camping sites in Dorset with vacancies, why can't these be used by the friends and acquaintances of Joseph Jones? I and perhaps others look forward to his reply to this suggestion in this newspaper. I will not hold my breath whilst waiting, PUZZLED ONE
  • Score: 58

12:46pm Sun 2 Mar 14

justsayithowitis says...

This is easily solved and it won't cost me any of my hard earned money. Don't come to Poole. How someone who expects others to pay for their friends lifestyles can turn their nose up at something they don't have to pay for is beyond me
This is easily solved and it won't cost me any of my hard earned money. Don't come to Poole. How someone who expects others to pay for their friends lifestyles can turn their nose up at something they don't have to pay for is beyond me justsayithowitis
  • Score: 85

1:43pm Sun 2 Mar 14

cunone says...

What a great shame our civic leaders did not have the courage to attend the meeting or did they not have the courage
What a great shame our civic leaders did not have the courage to attend the meeting or did they not have the courage cunone
  • Score: 6

1:44pm Sun 2 Mar 14

madras says...

PUZZLED ONE wrote:
There are already lots n lots of clean, well kept camping sites in Dorset with vacancies, why can't these be used by the friends and acquaintances of Joseph Jones?
I and perhaps others look forward to his reply to this suggestion in this newspaper.
I will not hold my breath whilst waiting,
Presumably because they would (1) have to pay and (2) abide by the tighter rules / regulations...
[quote][p][bold]PUZZLED ONE[/bold] wrote: There are already lots n lots of clean, well kept camping sites in Dorset with vacancies, why can't these be used by the friends and acquaintances of Joseph Jones? I and perhaps others look forward to his reply to this suggestion in this newspaper. I will not hold my breath whilst waiting,[/p][/quote]Presumably because they would (1) have to pay and (2) abide by the tighter rules / regulations... madras
  • Score: 48

1:54pm Sun 2 Mar 14

PUZZLED ONE says...

madras says...they would (1) have to pay and (2) abide by the tighter rules / regulations.
So what absolves any particular ethnic group from paying?
I belong to an ethnic group, I am British, so perhaps Mr. Jones will tell me why I and others in my group can't park for free?
madras says...they would (1) have to pay and (2) abide by the tighter rules / regulations. So what absolves any particular ethnic group from paying? I belong to an ethnic group, I am British, so perhaps Mr. Jones will tell me why I and others in my group can't park for free? PUZZLED ONE
  • Score: 48

1:55pm Sun 2 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

This man whoever he may claim to represent says "We don't want Poole site either".

Fair enough, but if this person truly represents the 'travellers' then most law abiding Poole taxpayer will frankly have absolutely no interest in his opinion, because they simply don't want 'travellers' - anywhere in the town!
This man whoever he may claim to represent says "We don't want Poole site either". Fair enough, but if this person truly represents the 'travellers' then most law abiding Poole taxpayer will frankly have absolutely no interest in his opinion, because they simply don't want 'travellers' - anywhere in the town! muscliffman
  • Score: 41

1:58pm Sun 2 Mar 14

PUZZLED ONE says...

FWI.
From the gypsy council website
Joseph Jones, info@gypsy-associati
on.com 07963 565952
FWI. From the gypsy council website Joseph Jones, info@gypsy-associati on.com 07963 565952 PUZZLED ONE
  • Score: 3

2:02pm Sun 2 Mar 14

alasdair1967 says...

If you don't want the temporary site don't come here at all then the decent residents of Bournemouth and Poole don't want you here you don't want the temporary site find somewhere else to go this summer heard France is nice !
If you don't want the temporary site don't come here at all then the decent residents of Bournemouth and Poole don't want you here you don't want the temporary site find somewhere else to go this summer heard France is nice ! alasdair1967
  • Score: 46

2:29pm Sun 2 Mar 14

smhinto says...

One question I would like to ask this Gypsy Coucillor is.
.
Why do these Irsh travellers ( I am keeping it polite) continously thieve, leave their excrement everywhere, stink, bully an intimidate the general public and have no sense of responsibility for anything.
.
The answer should make interesting listening.
One question I would like to ask this Gypsy Coucillor is. . Why do these Irsh travellers ( I am keeping it polite) continously thieve, leave their excrement everywhere, stink, bully an intimidate the general public and have no sense of responsibility for anything. . The answer should make interesting listening. smhinto
  • Score: 61

2:51pm Sun 2 Mar 14

l'anglais says...

smhinto wrote:
One question I would like to ask this Gypsy Coucillor is.
.
Why do these Irsh travellers ( I am keeping it polite) continously thieve, leave their excrement everywhere, stink, bully an intimidate the general public and have no sense of responsibility for anything.
.
The answer should make interesting listening.
Are you referring to "law abiding tax payers" who go on the lash every Friday and Saturday night?
[quote][p][bold]smhinto[/bold] wrote: One question I would like to ask this Gypsy Coucillor is. . Why do these Irsh travellers ( I am keeping it polite) continously thieve, leave their excrement everywhere, stink, bully an intimidate the general public and have no sense of responsibility for anything. . The answer should make interesting listening.[/p][/quote]Are you referring to "law abiding tax payers" who go on the lash every Friday and Saturday night? l'anglais
  • Score: -47

2:54pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Tictock says...

I am beggared to understand why any group of people should wish to impose themselves uninvited on someone else's property and then depart leaving their human soil, rubbish and unwanted goods behind. Why? And why do you expect the council tax payers of Poole, (or anywhere for that matter), pay for you to do so? They say they want to and do work - then do as others do, pay your way in society, go to a camp site like any other person. Because you are an ethnic group does not absolve you of social responsibility.

Censors this is not a racist or any 'ists' rant. Just an opinion into the free press.
I am beggared to understand why any group of people should wish to impose themselves uninvited on someone else's property and then depart leaving their human soil, rubbish and unwanted goods behind. Why? And why do you expect the council tax payers of Poole, (or anywhere for that matter), pay for you to do so? They say they want to and do work - then do as others do, pay your way in society, go to a camp site like any other person. Because you are an ethnic group does not absolve you of social responsibility. Censors this is not a racist or any 'ists' rant. Just an opinion into the free press. Tictock
  • Score: 37

3:02pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Wageslave says...

They don't want the site because it is 'contaminated' , well if it wasn't when they arrive it certainly would be when they left.
They don't want the site because it is 'contaminated' , well if it wasn't when they arrive it certainly would be when they left. Wageslave
  • Score: 61

3:07pm Sun 2 Mar 14

60plus says...

Everyone seems to be in agreement they don't want it we don't want them so let them go else where and make everyone happy,but for saying it's by a duel carriageway they are quite happy to camp on the side of roads.if the do diside to come the council should take a deposit of every van entering the site for clean up fees
Everyone seems to be in agreement they don't want it we don't want them so let them go else where and make everyone happy,but for saying it's by a duel carriageway they are quite happy to camp on the side of roads.if the do diside to come the council should take a deposit of every van entering the site for clean up fees 60plus
  • Score: 22

3:12pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Quakers2 says...

I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.
I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole. Quakers2
  • Score: -4

3:13pm Sun 2 Mar 14

l'anglais says...

The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion. l'anglais
  • Score: -62

3:30pm Sun 2 Mar 14

user_name says...

l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
People have the right to comment without petty and childish insults. I respect the travellers that leave sites as they found them. It is not bigoted to expect the our town to be kept tidy. IQ of an invertebrate. Really? Is that the best you can do?
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]People have the right to comment without petty and childish insults. I respect the travellers that leave sites as they found them. It is not bigoted to expect the our town to be kept tidy. IQ of an invertebrate. Really? Is that the best you can do? user_name
  • Score: 36

3:30pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Huey says...

Build the travellers a site wherever deemed suitable. Give them the facilities they need.
Request that before entry they must register themselves and their vehicles and pay a £500 deposit
Before they leave check that the site is clean and in order with no wrecked cars, old washing machines or effluent left behind.
When they have left the site as it was before they came, refund the deposit in full, ready for the next travellers to stay.
Impound the vehicles of those who do not abide by the rules until they clean up any mess left behind.
Build the travellers a site wherever deemed suitable. Give them the facilities they need. Request that before entry they must register themselves and their vehicles and pay a £500 deposit Before they leave check that the site is clean and in order with no wrecked cars, old washing machines or effluent left behind. When they have left the site as it was before they came, refund the deposit in full, ready for the next travellers to stay. Impound the vehicles of those who do not abide by the rules until they clean up any mess left behind. Huey
  • Score: 53

3:44pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Huey says...

l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you. Huey
  • Score: 24

3:49pm Sun 2 Mar 14

JustForPoole says...

These freeloaders don`t pay anything into the system .... so they shouldn`t get a say in anything ... put them where you want !!!
These freeloaders don`t pay anything into the system .... so they shouldn`t get a say in anything ... put them where you want !!! JustForPoole
  • Score: 29

4:08pm Sun 2 Mar 14

N Smith says...

Quakers2 wrote:
I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.
I don't live in Creekmoor and I don't want it to go ahead
[quote][p][bold]Quakers2[/bold] wrote: I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.[/p][/quote]I don't live in Creekmoor and I don't want it to go ahead N Smith
  • Score: 18

4:24pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Ebb Tide says...

live-and-let-live wrote:
haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.
So far as I know, it is not the "gypsies" that cause the problems in Poole by preventing public open spaces from being used by the general public.

The answer to smhinto's question would be illuminating but probably unprintable,
[quote][p][bold]live-and-let-live[/bold] wrote: haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.[/p][/quote]So far as I know, it is not the "gypsies" that cause the problems in Poole by preventing public open spaces from being used by the general public. The answer to smhinto's question would be illuminating but probably unprintable, Ebb Tide
  • Score: -15

4:24pm Sun 2 Mar 14

loftusrod says...

Perhaps Mr Jones could assist in the clear up operation after his illegal campers have been moved on.
Perhaps Mr Jones could assist in the clear up operation after his illegal campers have been moved on. loftusrod
  • Score: 28

4:47pm Sun 2 Mar 14

mikeymagic says...

You want a permanent site? Buy one then!
You want a permanent site? Buy one then! mikeymagic
  • Score: 23

5:06pm Sun 2 Mar 14

live-and-let-live says...

if these groups of ethnic minorities want a nice safe place to stay, may i recommend they chose one of the many sites we have in Dorset such as Rockley park? there is ample room there for touring caravans. or Sandford?
if these groups of ethnic minorities want a nice safe place to stay, may i recommend they chose one of the many sites we have in Dorset such as Rockley park? there is ample room there for touring caravans. or Sandford? live-and-let-live
  • Score: 15

5:12pm Sun 2 Mar 14

ashleycross says...

N Smith wrote:
Quakers2 wrote:
I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.
I don't live in Creekmoor and I don't want it to go ahead
You would if they were camping on the recreation grounds and play areas your children use for weeks on end because the council can't get eviction orders at the moment
[quote][p][bold]N Smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quakers2[/bold] wrote: I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.[/p][/quote]I don't live in Creekmoor and I don't want it to go ahead[/p][/quote]You would if they were camping on the recreation grounds and play areas your children use for weeks on end because the council can't get eviction orders at the moment ashleycross
  • Score: -2

5:15pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Kevin_123 says...

I feel so sorry for the people who will be living near this site - it is not fair or right at all!
I feel so sorry for the people who will be living near this site - it is not fair or right at all! Kevin_123
  • Score: 21

5:16pm Sun 2 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

mikeymagic wrote:
You want a permanent site? Buy one then!
And how do you think all the multi-million pound 'traveller' problems at the infamous Dale Farm site started - please think it through.
[quote][p][bold]mikeymagic[/bold] wrote: You want a permanent site? Buy one then![/p][/quote]And how do you think all the multi-million pound 'traveller' problems at the infamous Dale Farm site started - please think it through. muscliffman
  • Score: 10

5:31pm Sun 2 Mar 14

l'anglais says...

Huey wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.
Everyone deserves a balanced intellectual debate to resolve the issue.
Something you will not get from Dorset born and bred types.
As for the "jerk", subscribing to Caribbean slang won't make look any brighter?
[quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.[/p][/quote]Everyone deserves a balanced intellectual debate to resolve the issue. Something you will not get from Dorset born and bred types. As for the "jerk", subscribing to Caribbean slang won't make look any brighter? l'anglais
  • Score: -34

5:35pm Sun 2 Mar 14

l'anglais says...

user_name wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
People have the right to comment without petty and childish insults. I respect the travellers that leave sites as they found them. It is not bigoted to expect the our town to be kept tidy. IQ of an invertebrate. Really? Is that the best you can do?
That's fair enough, a balanced view, expecting the travelers to clean up after themselves. I have no reason to refer to that as bigoted.

However, we shouldn't have to put up with the dross spouted by the unintelligent louts who pollute these forums.
[quote][p][bold]user_name[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]People have the right to comment without petty and childish insults. I respect the travellers that leave sites as they found them. It is not bigoted to expect the our town to be kept tidy. IQ of an invertebrate. Really? Is that the best you can do?[/p][/quote]That's fair enough, a balanced view, expecting the travelers to clean up after themselves. I have no reason to refer to that as bigoted. However, we shouldn't have to put up with the dross spouted by the unintelligent louts who pollute these forums. l'anglais
  • Score: -30

5:56pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Desperado says...

l'anglais wrote:
Huey wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.
Everyone deserves a balanced intellectual debate to resolve the issue.
Something you will not get from Dorset born and bred types.
As for the "jerk", subscribing to Caribbean slang won't make look any brighter?
You think it is bigotry !
It is decent people trying to save the place where they live becoming a dumping ground.
Most of them probably being born in Dorset , myself included .
If you think yourself so high an mighty and above any native of Dorset , perhaps you ought to go whence you came.
Or go and troll some other thread .
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.[/p][/quote]Everyone deserves a balanced intellectual debate to resolve the issue. Something you will not get from Dorset born and bred types. As for the "jerk", subscribing to Caribbean slang won't make look any brighter?[/p][/quote]You think it is bigotry ! It is decent people trying to save the place where they live becoming a dumping ground. Most of them probably being born in Dorset , myself included . If you think yourself so high an mighty and above any native of Dorset , perhaps you ought to go whence you came. Or go and troll some other thread . Desperado
  • Score: 26

6:14pm Sun 2 Mar 14

N Smith says...

ashleycross wrote:
N Smith wrote:
Quakers2 wrote:
I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.
I don't live in Creekmoor and I don't want it to go ahead
You would if they were camping on the recreation grounds and play areas your children use for weeks on end because the council can't get eviction orders at the moment
I do and that's why no one should have to put up with it, what about the children of Creekmoor.Very selfish attitude !!!!
[quote][p][bold]ashleycross[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]N Smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quakers2[/bold] wrote: I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.[/p][/quote]I don't live in Creekmoor and I don't want it to go ahead[/p][/quote]You would if they were camping on the recreation grounds and play areas your children use for weeks on end because the council can't get eviction orders at the moment[/p][/quote]I do and that's why no one should have to put up with it, what about the children of Creekmoor.Very selfish attitude !!!! N Smith
  • Score: 14

6:24pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Ebb Tide says...

Kevin_123 wrote:
I feel so sorry for the people who will be living near this site - it is not fair or right at all!
How true, it just happens to be what the law requires. No wonder our MPs are being asked to get the law changed but two (out of 600 or so) have a task that I do not envy.
[quote][p][bold]Kevin_123[/bold] wrote: I feel so sorry for the people who will be living near this site - it is not fair or right at all![/p][/quote]How true, it just happens to be what the law requires. No wonder our MPs are being asked to get the law changed but two (out of 600 or so) have a task that I do not envy. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 3

6:41pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Carolyn43 says...

THIS SITE WON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF TRAVELLERS COMING TO POOLE. They will pitch up elsewhere. The only difference it will make is that they will set up camp on PRIVATE land instead of council-owned land. Private land-owners will have to go to court to get eviction orders instead of the council. THAT'S THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IT WILL MAKE. It will take just as long to move them on.
THIS SITE WON'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF TRAVELLERS COMING TO POOLE. They will pitch up elsewhere. The only difference it will make is that they will set up camp on PRIVATE land instead of council-owned land. Private land-owners will have to go to court to get eviction orders instead of the council. THAT'S THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IT WILL MAKE. It will take just as long to move them on. Carolyn43
  • Score: 15

6:44pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Carolyn43 says...

Quakers2 wrote:
I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.
I'm sure the residents feel sorry for you too - that you're happy it's not going to be near you but are happy that it will be imposed on and upset others.
[quote][p][bold]Quakers2[/bold] wrote: I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.[/p][/quote]I'm sure the residents feel sorry for you too - that you're happy it's not going to be near you but are happy that it will be imposed on and upset others. Carolyn43
  • Score: 8

6:55pm Sun 2 Mar 14

N Smith says...

Since when have travellers given a toss about the law ? Do you honestly believe they will abide by the laws and do you honestly believe our weak police will apply these laws? They are scared to death of these people.
Since when have travellers given a toss about the law ? Do you honestly believe they will abide by the laws and do you honestly believe our weak police will apply these laws? They are scared to death of these people. N Smith
  • Score: 17

7:33pm Sun 2 Mar 14

susi.m says...

If no-one in the area gives them any work these people will stop coming to the Poole / Bournemouth area. They get loads of work in this area.
So DONT LET THEM DO ANY JOBS FOR YOU.
If no-one in the area gives them any work these people will stop coming to the Poole / Bournemouth area. They get loads of work in this area. So DONT LET THEM DO ANY JOBS FOR YOU. susi.m
  • Score: 19

7:57pm Sun 2 Mar 14

davecook says...

Living not too far from the sites, I was not really keen on having them there. However, having read this, I now reckon this is the ideal temporary site as they won't want to stay there very long.
Living not too far from the sites, I was not really keen on having them there. However, having read this, I now reckon this is the ideal temporary site as they won't want to stay there very long. davecook
  • Score: 10

8:00pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Marty Caine UKIP says...

People still don't seem to get the simple fact that even though a transit site will give the police extra powers to remove travelers from unauthorised camps, that is only until the two transits sites are full, then it is back to square one again. The travelers will see this as Poole be a soft touch and that will undoubtedly cause many more to come. So will Poole council, Martyn Underhill, the Mayor please try to understand that by wasting £250,000 of tax payers money you are not actually solving the problem you are making the problem far worse by your own ill thought out actions. The real problem is the law and that is what our MP should be addressing and Robert Syms is not interested in doing that, he is however trying to get it so that Bournemouth can use the Poole transite sites as well so that Bournemouth can then send any traveler problems they have over to Poole.

This whole fiasco is now a far worse by the very fact that a company has offered to buy that land for £250,000 and create 200 jobs in the process and the council have turned this offer down, that for me is outrageous behaviour for any council and it clearly shows that they are not working in the best interest of the people of Poole.
People still don't seem to get the simple fact that even though a transit site will give the police extra powers to remove travelers from unauthorised camps, that is only until the two transits sites are full, then it is back to square one again. The travelers will see this as Poole be a soft touch and that will undoubtedly cause many more to come. So will Poole council, Martyn Underhill, the Mayor please try to understand that by wasting £250,000 of tax payers money you are not actually solving the problem you are making the problem far worse by your own ill thought out actions. The real problem is the law and that is what our MP should be addressing and Robert Syms is not interested in doing that, he is however trying to get it so that Bournemouth can use the Poole transite sites as well so that Bournemouth can then send any traveler problems they have over to Poole. This whole fiasco is now a far worse by the very fact that a company has offered to buy that land for £250,000 and create 200 jobs in the process and the council have turned this offer down, that for me is outrageous behaviour for any council and it clearly shows that they are not working in the best interest of the people of Poole. Marty Caine UKIP
  • Score: 27

8:18pm Sun 2 Mar 14

nickynoodah says...

are we allowed to refer to them as jipsis
its a lovely name you know
are we allowed to refer to them as jipsis its a lovely name you know nickynoodah
  • Score: -7

8:33pm Sun 2 Mar 14

mikeymagic says...

muscliffman wrote:
mikeymagic wrote:
You want a permanent site? Buy one then!
And how do you think all the multi-million pound 'traveller' problems at the infamous Dale Farm site started - please think it through.
Think it through? I want to be able to stop my tax being sent in this direction. You go give them a hand!
[quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mikeymagic[/bold] wrote: You want a permanent site? Buy one then![/p][/quote]And how do you think all the multi-million pound 'traveller' problems at the infamous Dale Farm site started - please think it through.[/p][/quote]Think it through? I want to be able to stop my tax being sent in this direction. You go give them a hand! mikeymagic
  • Score: -2

8:50pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Mattguna says...

It's not the media causing animosity it is you damned travellers or whatever politically correct name we can use. People in general have a very deep dislike for travellers as they are parasitic dishonest scavengers. Is that sufficiently politically correct?
It's not the media causing animosity it is you damned travellers or whatever politically correct name we can use. People in general have a very deep dislike for travellers as they are parasitic dishonest scavengers. Is that sufficiently politically correct? Mattguna
  • Score: 14

8:52pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Mattguna says...

It's not the media causing animosity it is you damned travellers or whatever politically correct name we can use. People in general have a very deep dislike for travellers as they are parasitic dishonest scavengers. Is that sufficiently politically correct? Perhaps if they paid their way and contributed to society and didn't expect to be able to live of the rest of the population they wouldn't be so hated.
It's not the media causing animosity it is you damned travellers or whatever politically correct name we can use. People in general have a very deep dislike for travellers as they are parasitic dishonest scavengers. Is that sufficiently politically correct? Perhaps if they paid their way and contributed to society and didn't expect to be able to live of the rest of the population they wouldn't be so hated. Mattguna
  • Score: 11

9:29pm Sun 2 Mar 14

muscliffman says...

mikeymagic wrote:
muscliffman wrote:
mikeymagic wrote:
You want a permanent site? Buy one then!
And how do you think all the multi-million pound 'traveller' problems at the infamous Dale Farm site started - please think it through.
Think it through? I want to be able to stop my tax being sent in this direction. You go give them a hand!
That was exactly my point, I agree that our tax funds should not be going to these lawless people but probably the only way to ensure that will be by reversing their current UK legal 'ethnic' status.

Your suggestion has lately become quite popular with some of these 'traveller' groups. They buy a green field site then move in and commence building a concreted semi permanent trailer park, even connecting themselves to the nearest electricity supply - naturally without planning permission or paying for anything.

The cost of legally evicting 'travellers' from (for instance) the infamous Dale Farm semi permanent trailer park field which they had bought as you advocate has occupied many years and caused enormous public tax expenditure - and has only been met with very limited success as the 'travellers' simply move back in to the adjoining fields regardless of who they belong to.

So regrettably your suggestion will most certainly not stop your, my or anybody's tax money being spent on 'travellers', in fact on plentiful evidence quite the opposite. Imagine if they bought a farmer's field locally as you say and then hundreds moved in illegally, long term.....
[quote][p][bold]mikeymagic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muscliffman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mikeymagic[/bold] wrote: You want a permanent site? Buy one then![/p][/quote]And how do you think all the multi-million pound 'traveller' problems at the infamous Dale Farm site started - please think it through.[/p][/quote]Think it through? I want to be able to stop my tax being sent in this direction. You go give them a hand![/p][/quote]That was exactly my point, I agree that our tax funds should not be going to these lawless people but probably the only way to ensure that will be by reversing their current UK legal 'ethnic' status. Your suggestion has lately become quite popular with some of these 'traveller' groups. They buy a green field site then move in and commence building a concreted semi permanent trailer park, even connecting themselves to the nearest electricity supply - naturally without planning permission or paying for anything. The cost of legally evicting 'travellers' from (for instance) the infamous Dale Farm semi permanent trailer park field which they had bought as you advocate has occupied many years and caused enormous public tax expenditure - and has only been met with very limited success as the 'travellers' simply move back in to the adjoining fields regardless of who they belong to. So regrettably your suggestion will most certainly not stop your, my or anybody's tax money being spent on 'travellers', in fact on plentiful evidence quite the opposite. Imagine if they bought a farmer's field locally as you say and then hundreds moved in illegally, long term..... muscliffman
  • Score: 6

10:11pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Carolyn43 says...

Yes muscliffman, you are quite right. If they don't like the site provided they will pitch up on private land regardless of who owns it. Planning disputes, etc could cost council tax payers even more than moving them on has.
.......
Unfortunately many seem only concerned that any site provided is not near them. They don't care who else is lumbered. And they don't seem to realise that setting up camp anywhere is just what they will do if they don't like the site provided. On private land, the council will have no power to move them on even by going to court.
......
Then we'll hear whines of "Why aren't the council doing something?", when what they did (provide an unsuitable site) didn't solve the problem and we still get illegal camps, but on private land
Yes muscliffman, you are quite right. If they don't like the site provided they will pitch up on private land regardless of who owns it. Planning disputes, etc could cost council tax payers even more than moving them on has. ....... Unfortunately many seem only concerned that any site provided is not near them. They don't care who else is lumbered. And they don't seem to realise that setting up camp anywhere is just what they will do if they don't like the site provided. On private land, the council will have no power to move them on even by going to court. ...... Then we'll hear whines of "Why aren't the council doing something?", when what they did (provide an unsuitable site) didn't solve the problem and we still get illegal camps, but on private land Carolyn43
  • Score: 9

10:40pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Huey says...

l'anglais wrote:
Huey wrote:
l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.
Everyone deserves a balanced intellectual debate to resolve the issue.
Something you will not get from Dorset born and bred types.
As for the "jerk", subscribing to Caribbean slang won't make look any brighter?
As usual you misunderstand. You are not a jerk in the sense of jerk chicken or fish, you are a jerk off. Go and ask and adult if unsure what this means.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]Jerk. Please stay in France. They deserve you.[/p][/quote]Everyone deserves a balanced intellectual debate to resolve the issue. Something you will not get from Dorset born and bred types. As for the "jerk", subscribing to Caribbean slang won't make look any brighter?[/p][/quote]As usual you misunderstand. You are not a jerk in the sense of jerk chicken or fish, you are a jerk off. Go and ask and adult if unsure what this means. Huey
  • Score: 10

11:13pm Sun 2 Mar 14

ASM says...

what do they expect..............
.....sandbanks?
when i was a kid I always used to play football at kingspark through the summer and weekends, but was too scared and advised not to by my parents when the "free spirits" turned up.
They are very intimidating and anti social.
Are they exempt from asbo's? do they have a special law for them which allows them to do as they please and never contribute to society (that spends a fortune on them) because their claim to be an ethnic group.
what do they expect.............. .....sandbanks? when i was a kid I always used to play football at kingspark through the summer and weekends, but was too scared and advised not to by my parents when the "free spirits" turned up. They are very intimidating and anti social. Are they exempt from asbo's? do they have a special law for them which allows them to do as they please and never contribute to society (that spends a fortune on them) because their claim to be an ethnic group. ASM
  • Score: 11

11:20pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Yankee1 says...

There are council licensed site already available. It is easy. You get in touch, pay your deposit, role up, pay the balance, and enjoy your stay.

That is how it works for those who work, pay taxes and claim no special dispensation........
...............
There are council licensed site already available. It is easy. You get in touch, pay your deposit, role up, pay the balance, and enjoy your stay. That is how it works for those who work, pay taxes and claim no special dispensation........ ............... Yankee1
  • Score: 8

11:20pm Sun 2 Mar 14

Yankee1 says...

There are council licensed site already available. It is easy. You get in touch, pay your deposit, role up, pay the balance, and enjoy your stay.

That is how it works for those who work, pay taxes and claim no special dispensation........
...............
There are council licensed site already available. It is easy. You get in touch, pay your deposit, role up, pay the balance, and enjoy your stay. That is how it works for those who work, pay taxes and claim no special dispensation........ ............... Yankee1
  • Score: 5

12:02am Mon 3 Mar 14

BmthLocalite says...

Seriously??? When you pay taxes & contribute to society, then you get to pick and choose things.

If the traveller site chosen for you doesn't meet your criteria, kindly go somewhere else!

I'd like a penthouse overlooking the sea (wouldn't we all?), but I know I need to work hard to afford that, not just pitch up.
Seriously??? When you pay taxes & contribute to society, then you get to pick and choose things. If the traveller site chosen for you doesn't meet your criteria, kindly go somewhere else! I'd like a penthouse overlooking the sea (wouldn't we all?), but I know I need to work hard to afford that, not just pitch up. BmthLocalite
  • Score: 8

12:09am Mon 3 Mar 14

HRH of Boscombe says...

live-and-let-live wrote:
haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.
All part of the cunning plan!
.
Seems Joseph Jones is only just becoming aware of it. Ironic really lol.
.
At the moment they have 'ethnic rights' blah, blah, blah as there's no FREE alternative.
.
These sites are being created to accommodate that. Once they've been settled I bet the law will change.
.
Stealth tactics but I applaud it this time :)
[quote][p][bold]live-and-let-live[/bold] wrote: haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.[/p][/quote]All part of the cunning plan! . Seems Joseph Jones is only just becoming aware of it. Ironic really lol. . At the moment they have 'ethnic rights' blah, blah, blah as there's no FREE alternative. . These sites are being created to accommodate that. Once they've been settled I bet the law will change. . Stealth tactics but I applaud it this time :) HRH of Boscombe
  • Score: 2

12:30am Mon 3 Mar 14

live-and-let-live says...

Ebb Tide wrote:
live-and-let-live wrote:
haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.
So far as I know, it is not the "gypsies" that cause the problems in Poole by preventing public open spaces from being used by the general public.

The answer to smhinto's question would be illuminating but probably unprintable,
i'm not allowed to call them anything else.the echo says "no"
[quote][p][bold]Ebb Tide[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]live-and-let-live[/bold] wrote: haaaaa haaaaa. even the gypsies dont want to live here.[/p][/quote]So far as I know, it is not the "gypsies" that cause the problems in Poole by preventing public open spaces from being used by the general public. The answer to smhinto's question would be illuminating but probably unprintable,[/p][/quote]i'm not allowed to call them anything else.the echo says "no" live-and-let-live
  • Score: 1

2:29am Mon 3 Mar 14

GaryC67 says...

Just get the site sorted & then we can see if it works as a deterrent or not. I know the Creekmoor nimbys don't like it, but they get the travellers most years so lets see if it works or not.
Just get the site sorted & then we can see if it works as a deterrent or not. I know the Creekmoor nimbys don't like it, but they get the travellers most years so lets see if it works or not. GaryC67
  • Score: -13

7:54am Mon 3 Mar 14

justsayithowitis says...

Just trying to start an e-petition to stop gypsies/travellers having ethnic status. Got to wait 7 days. I am wondering why there isn't one already and hoping that enough people sign it
Just trying to start an e-petition to stop gypsies/travellers having ethnic status. Got to wait 7 days. I am wondering why there isn't one already and hoping that enough people sign it justsayithowitis
  • Score: 14

8:40am Mon 3 Mar 14

Carolyn43 says...

GaryC67 wrote:
Just get the site sorted & then we can see if it works as a deterrent or not. I know the Creekmoor nimbys don't like it, but they get the travellers most years so lets see if it works or not.
I don't live in Creekmoor, but I know that Creekmoor "nimbys" are more concerned that they lost green field to the park and ride because Marshes End was too contaminated for cars to be parked on it. Now the council say the site is suitable for human habitation and they'll lose another green area. Besides which the fact that the site had been chosen, having been rejected previously as unsuitable, came totally out of the blue. There was no consultation or warning. So long as it wasn't anywhere near where Eades or Atkinson live. It has been dealt with in an underhanded and secretive manner, which should worry us all.
.......
There is a difference between travellers and gypsies. Gypsies are fine (I've had experience of them on my land elsewhere) - it's the travellers that are the problem. I contacted my MP and asked why they are classed as an ethnic group. The reply was that this country subscribes to the EU Human Rights Act and we also have equality laws.
.....
The businesses next to the site are going to erect a fence, which will stop fire engines cutting through their car park to go north with a possible loss of life. You don't care if someone dies because of that site do you? They are also considering relocating and taking jobs away from the area. You want people to be unemployed do you?
......
You want council tax payers money to be wasted on something that they say they won't use. Don't bleat when they turn up on private land near you then, and the landowner (no longer the responsibility of the council) has to go to court to get them moved on a week to 10 days after they arrive.
......
You've called Creekmoor residents nimbys. If the chosen site was near you, you wouldn't object would you? You'd be quite happy for that to happen? Then tell the council you want a site near you. Of course you will.
[quote][p][bold]GaryC67[/bold] wrote: Just get the site sorted & then we can see if it works as a deterrent or not. I know the Creekmoor nimbys don't like it, but they get the travellers most years so lets see if it works or not.[/p][/quote]I don't live in Creekmoor, but I know that Creekmoor "nimbys" are more concerned that they lost green field to the park and ride because Marshes End was too contaminated for cars to be parked on it. Now the council say the site is suitable for human habitation and they'll lose another green area. Besides which the fact that the site had been chosen, having been rejected previously as unsuitable, came totally out of the blue. There was no consultation or warning. So long as it wasn't anywhere near where Eades or Atkinson live. It has been dealt with in an underhanded and secretive manner, which should worry us all. ....... There is a difference between travellers and gypsies. Gypsies are fine (I've had experience of them on my land elsewhere) - it's the travellers that are the problem. I contacted my MP and asked why they are classed as an ethnic group. The reply was that this country subscribes to the EU Human Rights Act and we also have equality laws. ..... The businesses next to the site are going to erect a fence, which will stop fire engines cutting through their car park to go north with a possible loss of life. You don't care if someone dies because of that site do you? They are also considering relocating and taking jobs away from the area. You want people to be unemployed do you? ...... You want council tax payers money to be wasted on something that they say they won't use. Don't bleat when they turn up on private land near you then, and the landowner (no longer the responsibility of the council) has to go to court to get them moved on a week to 10 days after they arrive. ...... You've called Creekmoor residents nimbys. If the chosen site was near you, you wouldn't object would you? You'd be quite happy for that to happen? Then tell the council you want a site near you. Of course you will. Carolyn43
  • Score: 15

9:41am Mon 3 Mar 14

smhinto says...

l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
Bigotry you say ??
.
I can only assume that the fact that human excrement was left on private property abundance on the last Irish travller invasion after they had left was in fact a figmant of peoples imagination and did'nt actually happen despite photographs to the contrarary ??
.
Non to mention that crime seems to increase whenever these travellers arrive in any given area i.e. thieving and damage to property. This I persume is nothing more than a mirage and people just imagined it happening ??
.
The fact that their bodily hygene leaves a lot to be desired is also persumably also in the head and is not true at all.??
.
The fact that these travellers bully and intimidate ordinary members of the public is just persumably just a dream and the Echo are in fact making the reports up just for a giggle ??
.
The fact that these traveller have no sense of responsibility and do not care about anybody else is obviously wrong. The person that was reported as being swore at and bullied obviously inflicted the injuries himself and made the whole thing up ???
.
On a lighter note, the Romany Gypsies are the cleanest and nicest people one could ever meet and I would welcome them whole heartedly.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]Bigotry you say ?? . I can only assume that the fact that human excrement was left on private property abundance on the last Irish travller invasion after they had left was in fact a figmant of peoples imagination and did'nt actually happen despite photographs to the contrarary ?? . Non to mention that crime seems to increase whenever these travellers arrive in any given area i.e. thieving and damage to property. This I persume is nothing more than a mirage and people just imagined it happening ?? . The fact that their bodily hygene leaves a lot to be desired is also persumably also in the head and is not true at all.?? . The fact that these travellers bully and intimidate ordinary members of the public is just persumably just a dream and the Echo are in fact making the reports up just for a giggle ?? . The fact that these traveller have no sense of responsibility and do not care about anybody else is obviously wrong. The person that was reported as being swore at and bullied obviously inflicted the injuries himself and made the whole thing up ??? . On a lighter note, the Romany Gypsies are the cleanest and nicest people one could ever meet and I would welcome them whole heartedly. smhinto
  • Score: 9

9:45am Mon 3 Mar 14

Jo__Go says...

Quakers2 wrote:
I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.
So you want to dump your rubbish in Creekmoor? Makes you no better than the travellers...
[quote][p][bold]Quakers2[/bold] wrote: I am sure most people would prefer these travellers did not come to Poole. Fact - they do. Fact - they camp on a variety of places causing inconvenience to locals. Fact - the Council know this and have been incompetent at dealing with this and making our open spaces secure. Fact - the Council spends our taxes cleaning up afterwards, going to court, resecuring sites etc. Fact - the majority of Poole residents want this annual waste to stop. Fact - This solution will enable the Police to move illegal encampments on (although I am unsure what they will do if the temp site is already full. Can they still evict? Anyone know the actual answer? Sorry Creekmoor residents, I sympathise but who wants this site to go ahead - Everyone else in Poole.[/p][/quote]So you want to dump your rubbish in Creekmoor? Makes you no better than the travellers... Jo__Go
  • Score: 6

9:49am Mon 3 Mar 14

Jo__Go says...

l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me.

People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
What you call bigotry, we call experience.

So you would deny anyone with a low IQ an opinion? Let me think ... who was the last person to implement that as state policy?

Bigot is as bigot does.
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]What you call bigotry, we call experience. So you would deny anyone with a low IQ an opinion? Let me think ... who was the last person to implement that as state policy? Bigot is as bigot does. Jo__Go
  • Score: 10

10:36am Mon 3 Mar 14

Ebb Tide says...

justsayithowitis wrote:
Just trying to start an e-petition to stop gypsies/travellers having ethnic status. Got to wait 7 days. I am wondering why there isn't one already and hoping that enough people sign it
Hope you will let us all know when it is available for use. The idea, with hindsight, seems so obvious that I share your wonder.

Thank you for trying to implement the idea which should, if successful, strengthen the attempts of our local MPs.

Hopefully The Echo will give wider publicity to the existence of the e-petition in due course. The people of the Borough can then be encouraged to speak to the makers of such insensitive demands upon our very limited public open spaces.
[quote][p][bold]justsayithowitis[/bold] wrote: Just trying to start an e-petition to stop gypsies/travellers having ethnic status. Got to wait 7 days. I am wondering why there isn't one already and hoping that enough people sign it[/p][/quote]Hope you will let us all know when it is available for use. The idea, with hindsight, seems so obvious that I share your wonder. Thank you for trying to implement the idea which should, if successful, strengthen the attempts of our local MPs. Hopefully The Echo will give wider publicity to the existence of the e-petition in due course. The people of the Borough can then be encouraged to speak to the makers of such insensitive demands upon our very limited public open spaces. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 4

11:15am Mon 3 Mar 14

kangaroo_joey says...

l'anglais wrote:
The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.
How can it be bigotry when people ar speaking the truth, the majority of travellers leave a huge mess when the leave - FACT. Why should Poole residents have to pay for this when travellers dont put any money in the pot - FACT, When they invaded Whitecliff park they smear human excrement on the kids slides and threatened people walking their dogs in Whitecliff - FACT
so if not wanting them with in 100 miles of Poole makes me and the rest of the people bigots then so be it and correct me if im wrong but we live in a country that enables free speech and the people on this forum are just conveying their concerns based on previous experiences
[quote][p][bold]l'anglais[/bold] wrote: The level of bigotry on this site never ceases to amaze me. People with the IQ of an invertebrate (get your wikipedia out) shouldn't have the right to an opinion.[/p][/quote]How can it be bigotry when people ar speaking the truth, the majority of travellers leave a huge mess when the leave - FACT. Why should Poole residents have to pay for this when travellers dont put any money in the pot - FACT, When they invaded Whitecliff park they smear human excrement on the kids slides and threatened people walking their dogs in Whitecliff - FACT so if not wanting them with in 100 miles of Poole makes me and the rest of the people bigots then so be it and correct me if im wrong but we live in a country that enables free speech and the people on this forum are just conveying their concerns based on previous experiences kangaroo_joey
  • Score: 11

11:17am Mon 3 Mar 14

SimonJB says...

Why do Irish travellers have rights in the UK they DON'T have in the UK?
Why do Irish travellers have rights in the UK they DON'T have in the UK? SimonJB
  • Score: 5

11:26am Mon 3 Mar 14

Tedington says...

You want a sandwich? Okay, here is a ham sandwich. Oh, you wanted a cheese sandwich. Tough...be grateful for what you are given.
You want a sandwich? Okay, here is a ham sandwich. Oh, you wanted a cheese sandwich. Tough...be grateful for what you are given. Tedington
  • Score: 3

11:58am Mon 3 Mar 14

nickynoodah says...

Nicest thing about the jipsis
is when they drive off into the distance
begorrah.
Nicest thing about the jipsis is when they drive off into the distance begorrah. nickynoodah
  • Score: -2

12:21pm Mon 3 Mar 14

nickynoodah says...

I was talking to a jipsi girl in the bar last night . She said,
Noodah If you lost a few pounds, had a shave and got your ginger hair cut, you'd look all right."
I said, "If I did that, I'd be talking to the local blonde girls over there''.
I was talking to a jipsi girl in the bar last night . She said, Noodah If you lost a few pounds, had a shave and got your ginger hair cut, you'd look all right." I said, "If I did that, I'd be talking to the local blonde girls over there''. nickynoodah
  • Score: -1

12:27pm Mon 3 Mar 14

moleman says...

I do hope that the police in Poole North Division are given extra resources to deal with any potential break down of law and order arising from the placing of temporary stopping sites in Oakdale and Creekmoor, When residents feel isolated by their representatives they often take matters into their own hands in order to misguidedly try and sort things out.
Support for the residents in Creekmoor has been limited in the past and the police have been slow in dealing with issues when travellers arrived in the field in Longmeadow last time. In fact they did not stop the travellers getting on to the field and prevented the farmer from taking action to try and stop them trespassing onto his land.
The police are too frightened to deal with the travellers, braking onto private property.
I do hope that the police in Poole North Division are given extra resources to deal with any potential break down of law and order arising from the placing of temporary stopping sites in Oakdale and Creekmoor, When residents feel isolated by their representatives they often take matters into their own hands in order to misguidedly try and sort things out. Support for the residents in Creekmoor has been limited in the past and the police have been slow in dealing with issues when travellers arrived in the field in Longmeadow last time. In fact they did not stop the travellers getting on to the field and prevented the farmer from taking action to try and stop them trespassing onto his land. The police are too frightened to deal with the travellers, braking onto private property. moleman
  • Score: 7

2:03pm Mon 3 Mar 14

M0Z says...

I’d not thought of it before reading this article, but I quite like the idea of seasonal transit sites being in areas that flood. The demand for such sites in Dorset is in the dry summer months, so floods shouldn’t be a problem. In the rare event of summer floods there’s normally plenty of warning – so the occupants can simply hitch up and leave. Such land can’t (shouldn’t) be used for permanent developments, so there’s little opportunity cost. The winter flooding would prevent permanence and ensure a natural annual clearout without costly court evictions. Obviously it would be inappropriate to blight picturesque riverside walks, but surely there’s a few low lying remote fields where this might work? Overall I support calls for a change in the law though. In a nation as ethnically diverse as ours, it’s not right that one group alone is allowed free accommodation at the nation's expense and a virtual amnesty from laws and taxes. We need to bring back common sense and strive for the same equality for everyone.
I’d not thought of it before reading this article, but I quite like the idea of seasonal transit sites being in areas that flood. The demand for such sites in Dorset is in the dry summer months, so floods shouldn’t be a problem. In the rare event of summer floods there’s normally plenty of warning – so the occupants can simply hitch up and leave. Such land can’t (shouldn’t) be used for permanent developments, so there’s little opportunity cost. The winter flooding would prevent permanence and ensure a natural annual clearout without costly court evictions. Obviously it would be inappropriate to blight picturesque riverside walks, but surely there’s a few low lying remote fields where this might work? Overall I support calls for a change in the law though. In a nation as ethnically diverse as ours, it’s not right that one group alone is allowed free accommodation at the nation's expense and a virtual amnesty from laws and taxes. We need to bring back common sense and strive for the same equality for everyone. M0Z
  • Score: 7

4:18pm Mon 3 Mar 14

MMM444 says...

Well there you have it then, they aint pitching on no contaminated land next to a noisy dangerous by-pass, Look out Baiter, there on there way, and there aint no copper going to stop them either. Get your bin bags ready, your going to need them.
Well there you have it then, they aint pitching on no contaminated land next to a noisy dangerous by-pass, Look out Baiter, there on there way, and there aint no copper going to stop them either. Get your bin bags ready, your going to need them. MMM444
  • Score: 8

4:51pm Mon 3 Mar 14

cromwell9 says...

The Travellers wont use the sight.Because they will have to register and pay council tax,
Exeter City Council set up s sight for them last year , 66 moved on to it When they had to register ,60 moved off and came here,
They will park up on Private Land ,Industral Estates ,Farm land ,Any open space ,INCLUDING YOUR FRONT LAWN .
Poole Council know this ,.They dont care as long as they dont have the court costs.
Well done Mike and Annette Brook
Typical LIB DEms. most of you are well off Public Secter Employess
So you would not be voting anything else,
The Travellers wont use the sight.Because they will have to register and pay council tax, Exeter City Council set up s sight for them last year , 66 moved on to it When they had to register ,60 moved off and came here, They will park up on Private Land ,Industral Estates ,Farm land ,Any open space ,INCLUDING YOUR FRONT LAWN . Poole Council know this ,.They dont care as long as they dont have the court costs. Well done Mike and Annette Brook Typical LIB DEms. most of you are well off Public Secter Employess So you would not be voting anything else, cromwell9
  • Score: 7

4:59pm Mon 3 Mar 14

cromwell9 says...

moleman wrote:
I do hope that the police in Poole North Division are given extra resources to deal with any potential break down of law and order arising from the placing of temporary stopping sites in Oakdale and Creekmoor, When residents feel isolated by their representatives they often take matters into their own hands in order to misguidedly try and sort things out.
Support for the residents in Creekmoor has been limited in the past and the police have been slow in dealing with issues when travellers arrived in the field in Longmeadow last time. In fact they did not stop the travellers getting on to the field and prevented the farmer from taking action to try and stop them trespassing onto his land.
The police are too frightened to deal with the travellers, braking onto private property.
You wont se the POLICE for DUST,
THey are to scared to go anywhere near them ,In case they get pulled up for some ,racist law or somthing,.EU Human writes act,.
Its hopeless.
[quote][p][bold]moleman[/bold] wrote: I do hope that the police in Poole North Division are given extra resources to deal with any potential break down of law and order arising from the placing of temporary stopping sites in Oakdale and Creekmoor, When residents feel isolated by their representatives they often take matters into their own hands in order to misguidedly try and sort things out. Support for the residents in Creekmoor has been limited in the past and the police have been slow in dealing with issues when travellers arrived in the field in Longmeadow last time. In fact they did not stop the travellers getting on to the field and prevented the farmer from taking action to try and stop them trespassing onto his land. The police are too frightened to deal with the travellers, braking onto private property.[/p][/quote]You wont se the POLICE for DUST, THey are to scared to go anywhere near them ,In case they get pulled up for some ,racist law or somthing,.EU Human writes act,. Its hopeless. cromwell9
  • Score: 8

5:05pm Mon 3 Mar 14

cromwell9 says...

SimonJB wrote:
Why do Irish travellers have rights in the UK they DON'T have in the UK?
It all goes back to Empire Days ,when Ireland was run by us Brits,
Look it up on Google,
[quote][p][bold]SimonJB[/bold] wrote: Why do Irish travellers have rights in the UK they DON'T have in the UK?[/p][/quote]It all goes back to Empire Days ,when Ireland was run by us Brits, Look it up on Google, cromwell9
  • Score: 2

6:20pm Mon 3 Mar 14

JustForPoole says...

live-and-let-live wrote:
if these groups of ethnic minorities want a nice safe place to stay, may i recommend they chose one of the many sites we have in Dorset such as Rockley park? there is ample room there for touring caravans. or Sandford?
Please don`t try and impose these low life freeloaders on a reputable campsite ... they are better suited to some contaminated ground somewhere ... hopefully not Creekmoor, Poole or Dorset !!!
[quote][p][bold]live-and-let-live[/bold] wrote: if these groups of ethnic minorities want a nice safe place to stay, may i recommend they chose one of the many sites we have in Dorset such as Rockley park? there is ample room there for touring caravans. or Sandford?[/p][/quote]Please don`t try and impose these low life freeloaders on a reputable campsite ... they are better suited to some contaminated ground somewhere ... hopefully not Creekmoor, Poole or Dorset !!! JustForPoole
  • Score: -1

6:42pm Mon 3 Mar 14

Carolyn43 says...

cromwell9 wrote:
The Travellers wont use the sight.Because they will have to register and pay council tax,
Exeter City Council set up s sight for them last year , 66 moved on to it When they had to register ,60 moved off and came here,
They will park up on Private Land ,Industral Estates ,Farm land ,Any open space ,INCLUDING YOUR FRONT LAWN .
Poole Council know this ,.They dont care as long as they dont have the court costs.
Well done Mike and Annette Brook
Typical LIB DEms. most of you are well off Public Secter Employess
So you would not be voting anything else,
Finally someone who agrees that Marshes End will not solve the problem; they will not use it and, as you say, they will pitch up on private land, industrial estates, farm land, any open space and on front lawns.
.......
Of course it's only an exercise to save the council having to spend council tax payers money on eviction action. Someone else will have to. It will be no good complaining to the council when they pitch up on your front lawn - it won't be their problem.
.......
Doesn't matter what your thoughts are on travellers and their lifestyle, if you want them to not pitch up on public land they will have to be found a proper site in a suitable location that they will use and meeting the conditions laid down by our government. Marshes End isn't it.
[quote][p][bold]cromwell9[/bold] wrote: The Travellers wont use the sight.Because they will have to register and pay council tax, Exeter City Council set up s sight for them last year , 66 moved on to it When they had to register ,60 moved off and came here, They will park up on Private Land ,Industral Estates ,Farm land ,Any open space ,INCLUDING YOUR FRONT LAWN . Poole Council know this ,.They dont care as long as they dont have the court costs. Well done Mike and Annette Brook Typical LIB DEms. most of you are well off Public Secter Employess So you would not be voting anything else,[/p][/quote]Finally someone who agrees that Marshes End will not solve the problem; they will not use it and, as you say, they will pitch up on private land, industrial estates, farm land, any open space and on front lawns. ....... Of course it's only an exercise to save the council having to spend council tax payers money on eviction action. Someone else will have to. It will be no good complaining to the council when they pitch up on your front lawn - it won't be their problem. ....... Doesn't matter what your thoughts are on travellers and their lifestyle, if you want them to not pitch up on public land they will have to be found a proper site in a suitable location that they will use and meeting the conditions laid down by our government. Marshes End isn't it. Carolyn43
  • Score: 3

7:37pm Mon 3 Mar 14

RM says...

During the meeting did anyone ask Mr Jones why he felt that travellers should get free campsites & be exempt from the laws that the majority of us have to obey? If so, what was his response?
During the meeting did anyone ask Mr Jones why he felt that travellers should get free campsites & be exempt from the laws that the majority of us have to obey? If so, what was his response? RM
  • Score: 4

9:29pm Mon 3 Mar 14

nickynoodah says...

The site would be better suited near winton
nobath would not have far to go to see his relatives
The site would be better suited near winton nobath would not have far to go to see his relatives nickynoodah
  • Score: -2

10:09pm Mon 3 Mar 14

Jo__Go says...

SimonJB wrote:
Why do Irish travellers have rights in the UK they DON'T have in the UK?
As usual, it was an idiot judge, utterly out of touch with reality, and living in a la-la land where Narnia is real, and all gypsies live in painted wooden caravans, with a horse called Rosie.
http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/uk/thi
s-britain/irish-trav
ellers-gain-legal-st
atus-of-ethnic-minor
ity-710768.html
[quote][p][bold]SimonJB[/bold] wrote: Why do Irish travellers have rights in the UK they DON'T have in the UK?[/p][/quote]As usual, it was an idiot judge, utterly out of touch with reality, and living in a la-la land where Narnia is real, and all gypsies live in painted wooden caravans, with a horse called Rosie. http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/uk/thi s-britain/irish-trav ellers-gain-legal-st atus-of-ethnic-minor ity-710768.html Jo__Go
  • Score: 3

11:37pm Mon 3 Mar 14

BmthLocalite says...

I'm a 'non-travelling Council tax payer', is there some way that I can claim that as ethnic status? Might be the only way to get some rights...

I hereby have a right to a have a say as I'm the mug paying my rates!
I'm a 'non-travelling Council tax payer', is there some way that I can claim that as ethnic status? Might be the only way to get some rights... I hereby have a right to a have a say as I'm the mug paying my rates! BmthLocalite
  • Score: 5

12:47pm Wed 5 Mar 14

moorite says...

'THE TRAVELLERS DONT WANT TO GO TO MARSHES END'

Why would they want to go there when they have the freedom of choice to go anywhere?

Travellers don't like being told where to go..its there way of life !

DONT BOTHER WASTING TAX PAYERS MONEY !
'THE TRAVELLERS DONT WANT TO GO TO MARSHES END' Why would they want to go there when they have the freedom of choice to go anywhere? Travellers don't like being told where to go..its there way of life ! DONT BOTHER WASTING TAX PAYERS MONEY ! moorite
  • Score: 4

1:07pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Ebb Tide says...

It will be very interesting to see how the Council deal with this matter at 9.15 am on Thursday the 20th March at the Lighthouse.

Perhaps we shall learn how, of the 90 possible sites that have been appraised, why 88 of them were not considered more relevant than the ones currently proposed. Nobody should hold their breath in anticipation of a straightforward insight but at least those able to attend the Lighthouse at this awkward time (? designed to limited public attendance) should press for a clear understanding of the selection criteria being used to find sites to meet laws that should, by now, have been modified by Parliament to protect vulnerable communities from the type of exploitation we have experienced in recent years.
It will be very interesting to see how the Council deal with this matter at 9.15 am on Thursday the 20th March at the Lighthouse. Perhaps we shall learn how, of the 90 possible sites that have been appraised, why 88 of them were not considered more relevant than the ones currently proposed. Nobody should hold their breath in anticipation of a straightforward insight but at least those able to attend the Lighthouse at this awkward time (? designed to limited public attendance) should press for a clear understanding of the selection criteria being used to find sites to meet laws that should, by now, have been modified by Parliament to protect vulnerable communities from the type of exploitation we have experienced in recent years. Ebb Tide
  • Score: 3

3:09pm Thu 6 Mar 14

cromwell9 says...

moorite wrote:
'THE TRAVELLERS DONT WANT TO GO TO MARSHES END'

Why would they want to go there when they have the freedom of choice to go anywhere?

Travellers don't like being told where to go..its there way of life !

DONT BOTHER WASTING TAX PAYERS MONEY !
Totaly agree,
I know a nice front lawn in York rd Broadstone,where they can park up.
[quote][p][bold]moorite[/bold] wrote: 'THE TRAVELLERS DONT WANT TO GO TO MARSHES END' Why would they want to go there when they have the freedom of choice to go anywhere? Travellers don't like being told where to go..its there way of life ! DONT BOTHER WASTING TAX PAYERS MONEY ![/p][/quote]Totaly agree, I know a nice front lawn in York rd Broadstone,where they can park up. cromwell9
  • Score: 2

1:04pm Fri 7 Mar 14

moleman says...

Planning have amended the application for Marshes end on the Borough of Poole website (under Safety Drive). The planning application now states that the application is "as amended by plans received 04.03.14", but as at 7 March you cannot view the amendments on the site.
I would suggest that anyone who has put in an objection to the original planning application may now find that the terms have changed, but I can't tell because there are no details to look at.
Another great piece of PR for the Planning Dept and consultation of the local tax payers. You would have thought that they understood that it was important to be open and honest with the people of Poole.
Planning have amended the application for Marshes end on the Borough of Poole website (under Safety Drive). The planning application now states that the application is "as amended by plans received 04.03.14", but as at 7 March you cannot view the amendments on the site. I would suggest that anyone who has put in an objection to the original planning application may now find that the terms have changed, but I can't tell because there are no details to look at. Another great piece of PR for the Planning Dept and consultation of the local tax payers. You would have thought that they understood that it was important to be open and honest with the people of Poole. moleman
  • Score: 2

8:19pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Ebb Tide says...

moleman wrote:
Planning have amended the application for Marshes end on the Borough of Poole website (under Safety Drive). The planning application now states that the application is "as amended by plans received 04.03.14", but as at 7 March you cannot view the amendments on the site.
I would suggest that anyone who has put in an objection to the original planning application may now find that the terms have changed, but I can't tell because there are no details to look at.
Another great piece of PR for the Planning Dept and consultation of the local tax payers. You would have thought that they understood that it was important to be open and honest with the people of Poole.
The relevance of the Localism Act 2011 springs to mind !
[quote][p][bold]moleman[/bold] wrote: Planning have amended the application for Marshes end on the Borough of Poole website (under Safety Drive). The planning application now states that the application is "as amended by plans received 04.03.14", but as at 7 March you cannot view the amendments on the site. I would suggest that anyone who has put in an objection to the original planning application may now find that the terms have changed, but I can't tell because there are no details to look at. Another great piece of PR for the Planning Dept and consultation of the local tax payers. You would have thought that they understood that it was important to be open and honest with the people of Poole.[/p][/quote]The relevance of the Localism Act 2011 springs to mind ! Ebb Tide
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree