The Bournemouth East MP said yesterday he was “concerned” about the sentence, and had contacted Attorney General Dominic Grieve QC to ask if the case can be re-examined.
Speaking to the Daily Echo, Mr Ellwood said: “I think this is a very sad case, and will see if anything can be done about the sentence.”
Mr Young is the fourth person to die in Bournemouth in just 13 years from a single blow, with the killers responsible for each death sentenced to four years or less for the offence.
The MP said: “I am concerned about the frequency with which this is happening in the Bournemouth area.
“Whether the laws need updating to recognise that these horrible incidents are on the increase could be a factor. It's all very well saying 'I didn't mean to kill him', but people need to be aware that death can be a consequence of a single blow and that law needs to reflect that.”
A spokesperson for the Attorney General’s office said: “The process has started, it will be considered by the Attorney General to see whether he feels the sentence is unduly lenient.
“He has 28 days to make a decision. He could then refer it to the Court of Appeal to consider the sentence.”
Mr Young had exchanged words with Victor Ibitoye, who had been riding a pedal cycle on the pavement in Charminster Road, before he said: “Why don't you go back to the jungle?”
Overhearing, Gill swung a punch at the victim, who collapsed onto the road behind him.
He died the following day, November 7, at Southampton General Hospital following an operation.
Sentencing, Judge Keith Cutler told Gill: “I bear in mind your early guilty plea, I accept there is no premeditated element and provocation does exist.”
He added: “You will have to bear in mind for the rest of your life the fact that you've been responsible for the death of another human being.
“It is a very heavy responsibility and one you will have to manage to cope with.”
Warning: this CCTV footage contains graphic scenes of a violent incident
Mr Ellwood previously called for the sentence handed to sex offender and council official Robert Ian Finlay to be reviewed.
Finlay walked free from Bournemouth Crown Court in August last year after receiving a suspended sentence, despite admitting that he had downloaded 600 child abuse images.
This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network | A Gannett Company
Newsquest Media (Southern) Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. HP10 9TY|1350|Registered in England & Wales
This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation's Editors' Code of Practice. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here