When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Landslide site largely cleared but cordon to remain
Updated 11:22am Sunday 23rd February 2014 in News
SEAFRONT staff have been hard at work clearing debris from Thursday night’s landslide on Bournemouth beach.
At around 11pm a 170ft landslip blocked off the promenade near to the East Cliff zig zag, which has been cordoned off along with a small stretch of the front and the cliff top.
However by Saturday morning much of the debris had already been cleared away, as Bournemouth Council workers were joined by volunteers for a wider beach clean-up.
Councillor Lawrence Williams, cabinet member for tourism, said they had no fear of other slips along the cliffs, and that the beach was “perfectly safe”.
“At the moment that area is cordoned off for safety reasons, and we would urge the public to stay away from that small area so they don’t injure themselves,” he said.
“We are inspecting the cliffs on a regular basis and have no fears for other parts of the cliff.
“We have had one or two landslides like that in the past, and far worse.”
He also praised the efforts of volunteers who assisted efforts to clean up the beach over the weekend, following the disruption caused by weeks of storms.
“This is important because it is the community which is helping, and we are very grateful for all the help we receive,” he said.
Seafront manager Chris Saunders said the promenade would remain closed at the site of the slip until further notice, as an adjacent section of cliff was being monitored.
Comments are closed on this article.