Action being taken against Bournemouth care home where one resident slept in “urine soaked sheets” for five days

Action being taken against Bournemouth care home where one resident slept in “urine soaked sheets” for five days

INSPECTED: Beechey House

David Leighton, of Age UK

First published in News by

ACTION is being taken against a care home in Charminster which has been told improvements are required in four out of the five areas it was assessed in – and which let one resident sleep in a urine soaked bed for up to five days.

Beechey House, a private care home on Beechey Road that specialises in dementia care, was praised for having kind and approachable staff who knew their residents well in the Care Quality Commission (CQC) report.

However, the document, published on January 30 following an unannounced inspection in November, said that residents were not being sufficiently protected against the risks of malnutrition and that the level of care had a ‘major impact’ on those using the service.

One example given by the CQC described how staff only changed sheets on Tuesdays and Thursdays for an incontinent resident who became distressed when staff tried to swap the bedding.

“This meant the person had been sleeping in wet urine soaked sheets for up to five days,” said the report.

The government body criticised the home’s hygiene, describing a ‘risk of legionella’, a stained and odorous urine bottle found in a communal drawer and a commode containing cigarette ends in the garden.

It also said the way the dementia sufferers were fed did not promote dignity and they were repeatedly given food it was specified they did not like.

Exposed wiring and a broken window restrictor also posed a risk to residents, according to the report.

David Leighton, Chief Officer of Age UK Bournemouth, said: “It is shocking and distressing to hear reports such as this but sadly they are not nearly as rare as they should be. “Older people and those suffering from dementia deserve to be treated with the same level of dignity and respect as any other member of the community.”

An anonymous reviewer on goodcareguide.co.uk, who said she is the daughter of a resident at the 15-bed home, said on October 10 2013 that her mother had no privacy and was not receiving the support she needed.

She added: “Smells like urine everywhere. Toilets are shared and not cleaned regularly.”

A spokesman for CQC said they had issued five warning notices to Beechey House telling them they must improve or face further enforcement action, and are working closely with the council to ensure residents’ needs are being met.

He said: “We will be returning to the care home in the near future unannounced to check whether they have made the improvements we require. If the improvements are not made, we will consider further action.”

Beechey House declined to comment on the report.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:42pm Fri 21 Feb 14

High Treason says...

Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.
Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages. High Treason
  • Score: 44

2:14pm Fri 21 Feb 14

smhinto says...

High Treason wrote:
Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.
Entirely agree. This sort of thing does not surprise me in the slightest.
.
No doubt there will some amazing and miraculous excuse as to how this occured. The answer of course, should make interesting listening.
[quote][p][bold]High Treason[/bold] wrote: Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.[/p][/quote]Entirely agree. This sort of thing does not surprise me in the slightest. . No doubt there will some amazing and miraculous excuse as to how this occured. The answer of course, should make interesting listening. smhinto
  • Score: 20

3:52pm Fri 21 Feb 14

ben111 says...

I will have to correct you their, You said in the majority of care homes , Infact its all care homes Until care homes become a charity and plough profits straight back into the residents, their will always be a conflict of interest. And any care home tht is ltd are the biggest liars as they have share holders , thus the inmates / residents are a pure commodity.
I will have to correct you their, You said in the majority of care homes , Infact its all care homes Until care homes become a charity and plough profits straight back into the residents, their will always be a conflict of interest. And any care home tht is ltd are the biggest liars as they have share holders , thus the inmates / residents are a pure commodity. ben111
  • Score: 17

5:15pm Fri 21 Feb 14

shellbay14 says...

Name and shame the owner.
Surely the residents should be moved out.
Does Bournemouth Council use this home?
Name and shame the owner. Surely the residents should be moved out. Does Bournemouth Council use this home? shellbay14
  • Score: 17

6:01pm Fri 21 Feb 14

itsneverblackorwhite says...

Not surprised I worked in the care industry in the Bournemouth area about 15 years ago as an agency care worker, I refused to go to some care homes and reported many to the local authority, urine soaked carpets, lack of supplies, and shocking low levels of food available for residents and not to mention care standards!
Not surprised I worked in the care industry in the Bournemouth area about 15 years ago as an agency care worker, I refused to go to some care homes and reported many to the local authority, urine soaked carpets, lack of supplies, and shocking low levels of food available for residents and not to mention care standards! itsneverblackorwhite
  • Score: 13

6:45pm Fri 21 Feb 14

stevobath says...

High Treason wrote:
Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.
Are you for real?

All the good care homes have closed due to Govt cuts. More & more have closed since the late 90's.


I worked for a decade in a fantastic Nursing home & I fail to see how 'wonderful caring staff' would leave a resident in stinking dirty sheets. IF any staff had neglected a resident in that way when I worked, they would've been sacked on the spot. This home should be closed down.
One problem used to be high staff turnover & the awful attitude of agency staff.
The home I worked in, Newstead Nursing Home in Southbourne had a fantastic reputation & staff that actually cared , with a decent owner. Unfortunately it just gets too expensive for smaller homes, so industrial type homes are now the norm due to economy of scale. They're more akin to small hospitals.

I hasten to add, this home never had a wonderful name even years ago & I'm surprised it's STILL running.
[quote][p][bold]High Treason[/bold] wrote: Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.[/p][/quote]Are you for real? All the good care homes have closed due to Govt cuts. More & more have closed since the late 90's. I worked for a decade in a fantastic Nursing home & I fail to see how 'wonderful caring staff' would leave a resident in stinking dirty sheets. IF any staff had neglected a resident in that way when I worked, they would've been sacked on the spot. This home should be closed down. One problem used to be high staff turnover & the awful attitude of agency staff. The home I worked in, Newstead Nursing Home in Southbourne had a fantastic reputation & staff that actually cared , with a decent owner. Unfortunately it just gets too expensive for smaller homes, so industrial type homes are now the norm due to economy of scale. They're more akin to small hospitals. I hasten to add, this home never had a wonderful name even years ago & I'm surprised it's STILL running. stevobath
  • Score: 23

7:30pm Fri 21 Feb 14

poolebabe says...

stevobath wrote:
High Treason wrote:
Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.
Are you for real?

All the good care homes have closed due to Govt cuts. More & more have closed since the late 90's.


I worked for a decade in a fantastic Nursing home & I fail to see how 'wonderful caring staff' would leave a resident in stinking dirty sheets. IF any staff had neglected a resident in that way when I worked, they would've been sacked on the spot. This home should be closed down.
One problem used to be high staff turnover & the awful attitude of agency staff.
The home I worked in, Newstead Nursing Home in Southbourne had a fantastic reputation & staff that actually cared , with a decent owner. Unfortunately it just gets too expensive for smaller homes, so industrial type homes are now the norm due to economy of scale. They're more akin to small hospitals.

I hasten to add, this home never had a wonderful name even years ago & I'm surprised it's STILL running.
Leaving clients in urine soaked sheets for days on end is not about funding. I've worked in care, and it is hard to deliver a level of care needed for the time and funding available, but leaving a client in this mess, is not about money. This is neglect. Pure and simple.
[quote][p][bold]stevobath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]High Treason[/bold] wrote: Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.[/p][/quote]Are you for real? All the good care homes have closed due to Govt cuts. More & more have closed since the late 90's. I worked for a decade in a fantastic Nursing home & I fail to see how 'wonderful caring staff' would leave a resident in stinking dirty sheets. IF any staff had neglected a resident in that way when I worked, they would've been sacked on the spot. This home should be closed down. One problem used to be high staff turnover & the awful attitude of agency staff. The home I worked in, Newstead Nursing Home in Southbourne had a fantastic reputation & staff that actually cared , with a decent owner. Unfortunately it just gets too expensive for smaller homes, so industrial type homes are now the norm due to economy of scale. They're more akin to small hospitals. I hasten to add, this home never had a wonderful name even years ago & I'm surprised it's STILL running.[/p][/quote]Leaving clients in urine soaked sheets for days on end is not about funding. I've worked in care, and it is hard to deliver a level of care needed for the time and funding available, but leaving a client in this mess, is not about money. This is neglect. Pure and simple. poolebabe
  • Score: 19

11:10pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Yankee1 says...

'Beechey House, a private care home on Beechey Road that specialises in dementia care;

My brother is in a private care home. Early onset Alzheimers - it is awful.

We pay privately for his care. We know the staff; the staff know us. A member of the family visits every day. Every day, We have a rota.

I know it will never happen, but we would sue if anything were remiss. But, today we sent the staff a large parcel of fruit and chocolates as a thank you.

Relationships work two ways. Don't for a minute expect 'others' to do what you need to do for family. But hold them to account if they let you down.
'Beechey House, a private care home on Beechey Road that specialises in dementia care; My brother is in a private care home. Early onset Alzheimers - it is awful. We pay privately for his care. We know the staff; the staff know us. A member of the family visits every day. Every day, We have a rota. I know it will never happen, but we would sue if anything were remiss. But, today we sent the staff a large parcel of fruit and chocolates as a thank you. Relationships work two ways. Don't for a minute expect 'others' to do what you need to do for family. But hold them to account if they let you down. Yankee1
  • Score: 9

12:46am Sat 22 Feb 14

MrPitiful says...

A lot of these care homes are now also owned by foreigners.

Deduct from that what you will.
A lot of these care homes are now also owned by foreigners. Deduct from that what you will. MrPitiful
  • Score: 5

8:49am Sat 22 Feb 14

RM says...

shellbay14 wrote:
Name and shame the owner.
Surely the residents should be moved out.
Does Bournemouth Council use this home?
Exactly! Shouldn't the home have had its licence withdrawn & the residents moved to a place of safety immediately?
[quote][p][bold]shellbay14[/bold] wrote: Name and shame the owner. Surely the residents should be moved out. Does Bournemouth Council use this home?[/p][/quote]Exactly! Shouldn't the home have had its licence withdrawn & the residents moved to a place of safety immediately? RM
  • Score: 8

11:49am Sat 22 Feb 14

stevobath says...

poolebabe wrote:
stevobath wrote:
High Treason wrote:
Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.
Are you for real?

All the good care homes have closed due to Govt cuts. More & more have closed since the late 90's.


I worked for a decade in a fantastic Nursing home & I fail to see how 'wonderful caring staff' would leave a resident in stinking dirty sheets. IF any staff had neglected a resident in that way when I worked, they would've been sacked on the spot. This home should be closed down.
One problem used to be high staff turnover & the awful attitude of agency staff.
The home I worked in, Newstead Nursing Home in Southbourne had a fantastic reputation & staff that actually cared , with a decent owner. Unfortunately it just gets too expensive for smaller homes, so industrial type homes are now the norm due to economy of scale. They're more akin to small hospitals.

I hasten to add, this home never had a wonderful name even years ago & I'm surprised it's STILL running.
Leaving clients in urine soaked sheets for days on end is not about funding. I've worked in care, and it is hard to deliver a level of care needed for the time and funding available, but leaving a client in this mess, is not about money. This is neglect. Pure and simple.
Which was my point.
Dementia patients are often awkward & sometimes violent. That shouldn't be an excuse to leave them in dirty bedding. Caring staff DON'T DO THAT!
[quote][p][bold]poolebabe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevobath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]High Treason[/bold] wrote: Aw come on! How do you expect private care homes to change bed linen more often when it eats into their vast profits. Remember, in the majority of private care homes it is profits first, residents last. Why do you think so many are popping up everywhere. Nice little earner with staff on minimum wages.[/p][/quote]Are you for real? All the good care homes have closed due to Govt cuts. More & more have closed since the late 90's. I worked for a decade in a fantastic Nursing home & I fail to see how 'wonderful caring staff' would leave a resident in stinking dirty sheets. IF any staff had neglected a resident in that way when I worked, they would've been sacked on the spot. This home should be closed down. One problem used to be high staff turnover & the awful attitude of agency staff. The home I worked in, Newstead Nursing Home in Southbourne had a fantastic reputation & staff that actually cared , with a decent owner. Unfortunately it just gets too expensive for smaller homes, so industrial type homes are now the norm due to economy of scale. They're more akin to small hospitals. I hasten to add, this home never had a wonderful name even years ago & I'm surprised it's STILL running.[/p][/quote]Leaving clients in urine soaked sheets for days on end is not about funding. I've worked in care, and it is hard to deliver a level of care needed for the time and funding available, but leaving a client in this mess, is not about money. This is neglect. Pure and simple.[/p][/quote]Which was my point. Dementia patients are often awkward & sometimes violent. That shouldn't be an excuse to leave them in dirty bedding. Caring staff DON'T DO THAT! stevobath
  • Score: 5

6:10pm Tue 4 Mar 14

AstridWeisz says...

RM wrote:
shellbay14 wrote:
Name and shame the owner.
Surely the residents should be moved out.
Does Bournemouth Council use this home?
Exactly! Shouldn't the home have had its licence withdrawn & the residents moved to a place of safety immediately?
The manager's name is Nisha Damhar, according the web site info. It also says that the owners name is Mr. Damhar.
[quote][p][bold]RM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shellbay14[/bold] wrote: Name and shame the owner. Surely the residents should be moved out. Does Bournemouth Council use this home?[/p][/quote]Exactly! Shouldn't the home have had its licence withdrawn & the residents moved to a place of safety immediately?[/p][/quote]The manager's name is Nisha Damhar, according the web site info. It also says that the owners name is Mr. Damhar. AstridWeisz
  • Score: 0

11:27pm Tue 4 Mar 14

AstridWeisz says...

I don´t understand what are CQC waiting to shut down this place? They "warned" them? And what about the residents? Who knows in the conditions they are right now! This manager should be prosecuted!!
I don´t understand what are CQC waiting to shut down this place? They "warned" them? And what about the residents? Who knows in the conditions they are right now! This manager should be prosecuted!! AstridWeisz
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree