Could £150m hotel and leisure complex for Winter Gardens site be back on the table? (From Bournemouth Echo)
When news happens text pix and video to 80360. Start your message with BE then leave a space.
Could £150m hotel and leisure complex for Winter Gardens site be back on the table?
A MULTI-million pound development unanimously rejected by councillors could be back on the table following an appeal.
But it has now been confirmed that developers APB Park and Anthony P Bond have lodged an appeal, which will be heard almost a year to the day after the decision was made, on June 24.
Gregory Gray, of Gregory Gray Associates Chartered Town Planning Consultants, based in Fleet, Hampshire, said: “This is for the benefit of the wider community and economy, and it will bring this sad site into meaningful and useful purpose.”
He added: “We want to see how we can move the process forward, ideally with the possibility of trying to avoid an appeal.”
Councillors debated the scheme for almost two hours before rejecting the plans last year.
“I suggest that we would like to seek co-operation in the pre-application process itself,” said Mr Gray.
But chair of the planning board Cllr David Kelsey said councillors had been concerned over a number of issues.
“A big concern for the board last time was the lack of clarification over what leisure aspects there were going to be,” he said.
“It was the cinema and that was it. That was one of the big problems the board had.
“We weren’t happy with the level of commitment for the leisure aspect.”