Bedroom fire caused by candle lit during power cut

Bedroom fire caused by candle lit during power cut

Bedroom fire caused by candle lit during power cut

First published in News by

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a fire in a bedroom of a house in Alderholt on Saturday evening.

Crews from Verwood and Fordingbridge attended and discovered there had been a small fire small fire in a first floor bedroom which was out prior to their arrival.

The fire had been caused by unattended candles which had been lit during a power cut.

It caused slight fire damage to a chest of drawers and light smoke damage to the bedroom.

One of the occupants also sustained a slight burn to the hand.

A spokesperson for Dorset Fire and Rescue said: “During the current weather conditions and power cuts, people may be using candles more than they otherwise would - ensure they are placed on a heatproof surface away from draughts and furnishings, especially those which may blow into the flame.

"Extinguish any candles when you leave the room.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:56pm Tue 18 Feb 14

KevinsKandles says...

Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented!
Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly.
If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out!
Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. Less than 20₵ per 10 hour candle.
Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities
by visiting www.asafercandle.com
Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented! Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. Less than 20₵ per 10 hour candle. Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities by visiting www.asafercandle.com KevinsKandles
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree