A CREATIVE Bournemouth schoolgirl has been crowned the winner of a national competition, after designing a striking poster warning of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Amber Nabney, 11, used an image of a skull and crossbones to warn about the deadly effects of carbon monoxide – an odourless, colourless gas that kills about 50 people a year and injures some 200 more.

The national schools’ poster competition is run annually by CO-Gas Safety. Amber’s design has been named the overall winner for the south of England.

Amber, who was a pupil at Kinson Primary School when she made the poster, said: “I think it’s important that people know about carbon monoxide and how dangerous it is, which is why I used a skull in my picture.”

Amber, who now attends The Bourne Academy, was presented with her prize of £300 and £500 for her school, at a ceremony at the House of Lords. While there she and her family also met Bournemouth West MP Conor Burns.