A MAN who was found dead in his charred vintage car died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation, an inquest heard yesterday.

Philip Stephen Simmons, 59, was sitting in the front seat of his classic Austin 7 while parked in the garage of his house in Wimborne when the car burst into flames.

Firefighters were called to a report of an explosion at 8.02pm on Tuesday, December 10, at the property on Lonnen Road in Colehill.

Consultant Pathologist at Poole Hospital Dr Hussein carried out a post-mortem examination and confirmed the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation. DNA testing was needed to identify the body because it was so badly burnt.

A full inquest will take place on April 10.