Fears young people could become “trapped in lifetime of worklessness” as youth unemployment rises

Bournemouth Echo: Apprentices Katie Matheiou and Ashley Norton with Tara Roudiani, MD at FNTC Training Apprentices Katie Matheiou and Ashley Norton with Tara Roudiani, MD at FNTC Training

A GENERATION of young people could become trapped into a ‘lifetime of worklessness’, according to a Dorset training provider.

Although unemployment fell nationally by 7.1 per cent in figures last week, youth unemployment is at its highest since 1993.

FNTC Training, which works with young people in Dorset from its site at Branksome Business Park, is calling for more efforts to deal with the nearly one million young people classified as ‘NEETS’ – young people not in education, employment or training.

Tara Roudiani, MD at the company, urged young people and their parents to do more to help themselves.

She said: “If we are not careful, we will raise a generation of young people who will become trapped in a lifetime of worklessness.

“The UK falls behind our European counterparts when it comes to helping young people start out in the world of work and we must address it sooner rather than later.”

She added: “This time last year we were struggling to find employers willing to take on apprentices. Now we have lots of jobs available but we cannot find enough young people to fill them.

“It’s quite ridiculous given that the youth unemployment figures are so high.”

The company believes the abolition of the Connexions youth advisory service has meant that many teens are not getting access to impartial advice and guidance.

Tara Roudiani added: “It is imperative that we create systems that provide clear pathways from school into employment.

“Too many, especially those who do not wish to continue to university, are dropping through the loop.

“We believe that not enough is being done to signpost them to the number of jobs and apprenticeships that are ready and waiting, and maybe the time has come to invest in making sure that these young people can get the right information to make informed choices for their future.”

The company delivers apprenticeships, traineeships and vocational qualifications from bases in areas such as Dorset and Salisbury.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:50pm Wed 29 Jan 14

BoscVegas says...

Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job. Sucks to be a school leaver right now
Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job. Sucks to be a school leaver right now BoscVegas

12:52pm Wed 29 Jan 14

speedy231278 says...

The biggest issues are that people leave education with all sorts of weird and wonderful qualifications that have no relevance in the real world, and expect to be paid large wages as a result, and also that the state seems to make it more cost effective to stay at home and claim benefit than work at or near the minimum wage.
The biggest issues are that people leave education with all sorts of weird and wonderful qualifications that have no relevance in the real world, and expect to be paid large wages as a result, and also that the state seems to make it more cost effective to stay at home and claim benefit than work at or near the minimum wage. speedy231278

12:55pm Wed 29 Jan 14

live-and-let-live says...

todays young people .....
go to university and learn to believe you will be the managing director in your first job.
stand aside when an immigrant wants to do the low paid jobs.
live at home with the parents paying the bills while you claim "your entitlements.
girls. have a few babies and get everything you want.
todays young people ..... go to university and learn to believe you will be the managing director in your first job. stand aside when an immigrant wants to do the low paid jobs. live at home with the parents paying the bills while you claim "your entitlements. girls. have a few babies and get everything you want. live-and-let-live

1:49pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Hessenford says...

Some young people these days seem to think getting their hands dirty to earn a wage is beneath them, as said above, lots of them think because they stayed on at school and obtained some weird qualification they are entitled to some high paid executive position, they need to get into the real world and get a job even though they may think its beneath them, there must be jobs available otherwise there would be no job centers.
Some young people these days seem to think getting their hands dirty to earn a wage is beneath them, as said above, lots of them think because they stayed on at school and obtained some weird qualification they are entitled to some high paid executive position, they need to get into the real world and get a job even though they may think its beneath them, there must be jobs available otherwise there would be no job centers. Hessenford

1:59pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

unfortunately most are unemployable, common sense is virtually non existent and practical skills are regarded as some kind of affliction

it is absolute (and convenient) tosh about experience - how come so many east europeans have got jobs ?

sadly it is our generation molly coddling them that have robbed them of any drive, initiative and live

Generation Useless
unfortunately most are unemployable, common sense is virtually non existent and practical skills are regarded as some kind of affliction it is absolute (and convenient) tosh about experience - how come so many east europeans have got jobs ? sadly it is our generation molly coddling them that have robbed them of any drive, initiative and live Generation Useless Bob49

5:19pm Wed 29 Jan 14

O'Really says...

Good grief, listen to yourselves above.
Have you no empathy in your hearts at all?
You seem to think in 2 dimensional stereotypes.
Do you actually know any teenagers?
I do and a fine bunch of young people they are too in the main.
They deserve more than your miserable, jaded, know-all criticism.
And they deserve a world where their skills and energy are recognised and utilised for the good of all.
~
A little anecdote ... I was sat on a train a little while back, and from where I was sitting I could see four teens, all of whom were studying/reading/wri
ting.
~
Give 'em a break.
Good grief, listen to yourselves above. Have you no empathy in your hearts at all? You seem to think in 2 dimensional stereotypes. Do you actually know any teenagers? I do and a fine bunch of young people they are too in the main. They deserve more than your miserable, jaded, know-all criticism. And they deserve a world where their skills and energy are recognised and utilised for the good of all. ~ A little anecdote ... I was sat on a train a little while back, and from where I was sitting I could see four teens, all of whom were studying/reading/wri ting. ~ Give 'em a break. O'Really

5:19pm Wed 29 Jan 14

BoscVegas says...

Bob49 wrote:
unfortunately most are unemployable, common sense is virtually non existent and practical skills are regarded as some kind of affliction

it is absolute (and convenient) tosh about experience - how come so many east europeans have got jobs ?

sadly it is our generation molly coddling them that have robbed them of any drive, initiative and live

Generation Useless
Yes we have a lot to thank you baby boomers for:
thank you for the reliance on fossil fuels
thank you for our travel infrastructure
thank you for not re-investing revenues from selling off council houses into council housing for future generations
thank you for taking going over the top on easy credit and crippling the economy when you couldn't keep up the repayments
thank you for destroying the manufacturing industry
thank you for the bloated public sector
and lastly thank you for the national debt

I think it is obvious which generation is useless.
[quote][p][bold]Bob49[/bold] wrote: unfortunately most are unemployable, common sense is virtually non existent and practical skills are regarded as some kind of affliction it is absolute (and convenient) tosh about experience - how come so many east europeans have got jobs ? sadly it is our generation molly coddling them that have robbed them of any drive, initiative and live Generation Useless[/p][/quote]Yes we have a lot to thank you baby boomers for: thank you for the reliance on fossil fuels thank you for our travel infrastructure thank you for not re-investing revenues from selling off council houses into council housing for future generations thank you for taking going over the top on easy credit and crippling the economy when you couldn't keep up the repayments thank you for destroying the manufacturing industry thank you for the bloated public sector and lastly thank you for the national debt I think it is obvious which generation is useless. BoscVegas

8:04pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

and if by magic up pops one to confirm all that has been said with one vacuous about it all being someone else's fault

sadly non of which makes any sense other than a whinge to excuse why they are so useless

if plenty of folk over 60 can find work after losing their career jobs then why can't generation useless ?

why have so many east europeans found jobs ?
and if by magic up pops one to confirm all that has been said with one vacuous about it all being someone else's fault sadly non of which makes any sense other than a whinge to excuse why they are so useless if plenty of folk over 60 can find work after losing their career jobs then why can't generation useless ? why have so many east europeans found jobs ? Bob49

8:57pm Wed 29 Jan 14

BoscVegas says...

Bob49 wrote:
and if by magic up pops one to confirm all that has been said with one vacuous about it all being someone else's fault

sadly non of which makes any sense other than a whinge to excuse why they are so useless

if plenty of folk over 60 can find work after losing their career jobs then why can't generation useless ?

why have so many east europeans found jobs ?
I don't want to ruin your stereotype, but unfortunately I have a job.

I am not moaning I am merely reminding you of some of the achievements of your generation. The point of this was to indicate that one shouldn't far a generation as useless without first looking at themselves. As anticipated your sense of self righteousness got in the way. (Typical baby boomer)

I don't think it is fair to brand a generation as useless and bluntly, your comments annoyed me.

The reason Eastern Europeans get jobs is that they are generally older (mid 20s) with experience in their desired field. Secondly they work hard because they are often here for a short time to set themselves up with savings for a life back home.

The over 60s are able to find jobs because they have more flexibility with the hours they can work. This is because they already have a state pension coming in and the job is a supplementary income stream.
[quote][p][bold]Bob49[/bold] wrote: and if by magic up pops one to confirm all that has been said with one vacuous about it all being someone else's fault sadly non of which makes any sense other than a whinge to excuse why they are so useless if plenty of folk over 60 can find work after losing their career jobs then why can't generation useless ? why have so many east europeans found jobs ?[/p][/quote]I don't want to ruin your stereotype, but unfortunately I have a job. I am not moaning I am merely reminding you of some of the achievements of your generation. The point of this was to indicate that one shouldn't far a generation as useless without first looking at themselves. As anticipated your sense of self righteousness got in the way. (Typical baby boomer) I don't think it is fair to brand a generation as useless and bluntly, your comments annoyed me. The reason Eastern Europeans get jobs is that they are generally older (mid 20s) with experience in their desired field. Secondly they work hard because they are often here for a short time to set themselves up with savings for a life back home. The over 60s are able to find jobs because they have more flexibility with the hours they can work. This is because they already have a state pension coming in and the job is a supplementary income stream. BoscVegas

12:20am Thu 30 Jan 14

Bob49 says...

More nonsense.

Firstly I never claimed you didn't have a job.

Next, if you are going to spout of about the past then get it right and don't rely on some rehashed nonsense.

The selling off of council house began in the early 1980's when this so called wicked generation were in their 30's ! Fossil fuels are and were a world wide usage - and have been since pre Victorian times. Boom and bust has been with us since the South Sea bubble. The rest is of your guff issimilarly unfounded whinging that does not stand up to scrutiny.

Likewise it is absurd old tosh to talk about East Europeans having experience, as what experience have those working in the bars, factories and farms have, or need ? Again with the older workers who can be flexible ! What the hell flexibility do they have that a teenager or a twenty something doesn't have ? And those being employed in what's termed lowly jobs do not have a state pension, that doesn't kick in until the mid to late 60's.

What they have is a sense of standing on their own two feet and working - being whatever the work is. And if the East europeans can work to save then why can't generation useless work to pay their way in life ? Or is that as beneath them as much as it is beyond them ?
More nonsense. Firstly I never claimed you didn't have a job. Next, if you are going to spout of about the past then get it right and don't rely on some rehashed nonsense. The selling off of council house began in the early 1980's when this so called wicked generation were in their 30's ! Fossil fuels are and were a world wide usage - and have been since pre Victorian times. Boom and bust has been with us since the South Sea bubble. The rest is of your guff issimilarly unfounded whinging that does not stand up to scrutiny. Likewise it is absurd old tosh to talk about East Europeans having experience, as what experience have those working in the bars, factories and farms have, or need ? Again with the older workers who can be flexible ! What the hell flexibility do they have that a teenager or a twenty something doesn't have ? And those being employed in what's termed lowly jobs do not have a state pension, that doesn't kick in until the mid to late 60's. What they have is a sense of standing on their own two feet and working - being whatever the work is. And if the East europeans can work to save then why can't generation useless work to pay their way in life ? Or is that as beneath them as much as it is beyond them ? Bob49

9:38am Thu 30 Jan 14

BoscVegas says...

Bob49 wrote:
More nonsense.

Firstly I never claimed you didn't have a job.

Next, if you are going to spout of about the past then get it right and don't rely on some rehashed nonsense.

The selling off of council house began in the early 1980's when this so called wicked generation were in their 30's ! Fossil fuels are and were a world wide usage - and have been since pre Victorian times. Boom and bust has been with us since the South Sea bubble. The rest is of your guff issimilarly unfounded whinging that does not stand up to scrutiny.

Likewise it is absurd old tosh to talk about East Europeans having experience, as what experience have those working in the bars, factories and farms have, or need ? Again with the older workers who can be flexible ! What the hell flexibility do they have that a teenager or a twenty something doesn't have ? And those being employed in what's termed lowly jobs do not have a state pension, that doesn't kick in until the mid to late 60's.

What they have is a sense of standing on their own two feet and working - being whatever the work is. And if the East europeans can work to save then why can't generation useless work to pay their way in life ? Or is that as beneath them as much as it is beyond them ?
If you don't agree with somebody call it tosh and move on, brilliant. Further, as aforementioned, I am not whinging I am reminding you of some of the achievements that have taken place in your illustrious life time. which you appear to not accept are a failings. I am also suggesting that you perhaps are not in the best place to be branding a whole generation as useless.

Why do you think somebody who is mid 20s is not going to have more experience then a school/college leaver? A man of your years should recognise that older means wiser. as for saving money and talking it home, what you must realise is the economy back home in eastern Europe is different. one can earn around 5-10 times average annual salary by moving to the uk. so coming here to work your backside of for 2 years makes sense. The youth of the UK can't copy this model because there isn't a country that pays bar staff in excess of £100,000 per annum.

I already explained over 60s are more flexible because they are likely to have a second income stream, namely a state pension. They are also more likely to have savings to fall back on.

in conclusion, you should have a little more faith in the next generation because they will be paying your pension.
[quote][p][bold]Bob49[/bold] wrote: More nonsense. Firstly I never claimed you didn't have a job. Next, if you are going to spout of about the past then get it right and don't rely on some rehashed nonsense. The selling off of council house began in the early 1980's when this so called wicked generation were in their 30's ! Fossil fuels are and were a world wide usage - and have been since pre Victorian times. Boom and bust has been with us since the South Sea bubble. The rest is of your guff issimilarly unfounded whinging that does not stand up to scrutiny. Likewise it is absurd old tosh to talk about East Europeans having experience, as what experience have those working in the bars, factories and farms have, or need ? Again with the older workers who can be flexible ! What the hell flexibility do they have that a teenager or a twenty something doesn't have ? And those being employed in what's termed lowly jobs do not have a state pension, that doesn't kick in until the mid to late 60's. What they have is a sense of standing on their own two feet and working - being whatever the work is. And if the East europeans can work to save then why can't generation useless work to pay their way in life ? Or is that as beneath them as much as it is beyond them ?[/p][/quote]If you don't agree with somebody call it tosh and move on, brilliant. Further, as aforementioned, I am not whinging I am reminding you of some of the achievements that have taken place in your illustrious life time. which you appear to not accept are a failings. I am also suggesting that you perhaps are not in the best place to be branding a whole generation as useless. Why do you think somebody who is mid 20s is not going to have more experience then a school/college leaver? A man of your years should recognise that older means wiser. as for saving money and talking it home, what you must realise is the economy back home in eastern Europe is different. one can earn around 5-10 times average annual salary by moving to the uk. so coming here to work your backside of for 2 years makes sense. The youth of the UK can't copy this model because there isn't a country that pays bar staff in excess of £100,000 per annum. I already explained over 60s are more flexible because they are likely to have a second income stream, namely a state pension. They are also more likely to have savings to fall back on. in conclusion, you should have a little more faith in the next generation because they will be paying your pension. BoscVegas

4:49pm Thu 30 Jan 14

Rabbitman64 says...

O'Really wrote:
Good grief, listen to yourselves above.
Have you no empathy in your hearts at all?
You seem to think in 2 dimensional stereotypes.
Do you actually know any teenagers?
I do and a fine bunch of young people they are too in the main.
They deserve more than your miserable, jaded, know-all criticism.
And they deserve a world where their skills and energy are recognised and utilised for the good of all.
~
A little anecdote ... I was sat on a train a little while back, and from where I was sitting I could see four teens, all of whom were studying/reading/wri

ting.
~
Give 'em a break.
At last somebody speaks some sense!
[quote][p][bold]O'Really[/bold] wrote: Good grief, listen to yourselves above. Have you no empathy in your hearts at all? You seem to think in 2 dimensional stereotypes. Do you actually know any teenagers? I do and a fine bunch of young people they are too in the main. They deserve more than your miserable, jaded, know-all criticism. And they deserve a world where their skills and energy are recognised and utilised for the good of all. ~ A little anecdote ... I was sat on a train a little while back, and from where I was sitting I could see four teens, all of whom were studying/reading/wri ting. ~ Give 'em a break.[/p][/quote]At last somebody speaks some sense! Rabbitman64

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree