RESIDENTS and councillors are fighting for action to be taken on a derelict hotel which has blighted the Bournemouth landscape for more than a decade.
The Cliff End Hotel on Boscombe Manor Road which is owned by the Meyrick Estate was ravaged by a fire in 2012 and has been mired in legal wrangling since its closure in 2002.
Ward councillors Anne Filer, David Kelsey and Michael Filer are now demanding action from Meyrick Estate saying hundreds of residents are “distressed and furious” at the lack of any development.
Cllr Anne Filer said: “I think they are delaying matters for their own ends and don’t seem to care at all that residents are suffering.”
A meeting with agents acting for the Meyrick Estate was held on 24 June 2013 and despite indicating an intention to submit a planning application to develop the site, no application has been submitted.
Cabinet Member for Planning and Environment David Smith said: “Over the years there have been promises made to the council that have led to nothing but disappointment, especially to the residents many of whom have suffered from this blot on the landscape for 10 years.”
Chairman of the Keverstone Court residents association, Brian Newman, addressed the full council meeting on January 21 and asked what steps the council was taking to get the eyesore demolished.
The council as a planning authority could proceed with the compulsory purchase of the site, but for the time being the council is trying to work with the estate to find a solution.
Geoff Bevans who is representing Meyrick Estate Management said: “The Estate is, of course, aware that the property had been an eyesore for several years but until the Estate obtained judgement in the High Court regarding Boscombe Partnership Ltd, it was unable to take any physical action.
“We have now had possession for just over six months and are taking action to progress matters.”